1

Time Labyrinth

Two pairs of feet pace in sync on the streets, walking into a labyrinth where uncertainties await them.

In between them is a mirror which stretches out to infinity, neither of them know the one next to them.

 

Unsure of what plans he had for himself, Luhan hadn’t moved on since the day his best friend died. It felt numb. The moment he knew he was too late, blood was draining from his brain and jaw was trembling. He didn’t have the guts to look from the rooftop, knowing that he would see his best friend sprawled in a pile of blood on the streets below his feet.

His best friend wouldn’t have to die if he made it earlier. He didn’t know why suicide was chosen, he didn’t want to know either.

It pained Luhan every morning having to realize that his best friend was gone.

He loved him.

Thus he wasn’t sure if by calling him a lover would be appropriate, as neither of them admitted their feelings toward each other.

He should’ve let him know.

 

Luhan thought he went schizophrenic when he started to see his best friend in the photos he took.

 

A bench at the park. There his best friend sat.

An empty street at dawn. There his best friend stood.

A bed they used to share while having sleepovers. There… his best friend lay.

 

He’d seen a psychiatrist, it didn’t work.

Maybe he just needed some sleep.

Then he dreamed.

A river in a meadow, water so clear Luhan could see his reflection in it. Just that, it wasn’t really Luhan himself in the reflection.

He saw his best friend.

“Sehun?”

“Sehun!”

Thoughts were fleeing across Luhan’s mind, a voice whispering into his ears, his best friend rippled in the mirror before his eyes.

Awaken, he knew his best friend was somewhere around.

Pacing on the streets to a café, Luhan was burnt under the scorching hot sun. He just wanted to get himself an iced americano. Yet a person caught his attention, Luhan’s mind seemed stuck.

Sehun was sitting at the corner, sipping on his favorite hazelnut latte.

Luhan couldn’t believe his eyes, but he decided to approach Sehun anyway.

“I’m sorry, I think you’ve mistaken me as someone else.”

Luhan’s heart sank a little. He was sure that the young man sitting before him was Sehun.

 

“I’m Luhan. I think we’ve met before.”

 

They talked.

They walked.

They smiled.

They laughed.

Luhan was lost in time.

They loved.

 

“Luhan, I’m only 22, what do you mean I’m having my 27th birthday next month?”

Startled. Luhan wasn’t so sure which world he was seeing now.

It was 2009.

It was 2014.

Luhan existed in both at the same time.

 

It smacked Luhan in the head when he realized it would be Sehun’s death next month.

He didn’t want it to happen. He didn’t want to witness it all over again.

They created a lot more memories than they ever had, because Luhan knew he couldn’t bear to lose the chance once more. Luhan wanted to tell Sehun about his death, but how would it ever be possible? He didn’t even know the reason why Sehun leaped off the building. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to find out.

But he wanted to save Sehun. He had to.

 

Luhan followed Sehun on the day of his death, it was the day before Sehun’s 22nd birthday.

Sehun climbed to the top of that building, Luhan’s heart started to race. It’s now or never, if Luhan didn’t save him Sehun would be gone forever for the second time.

Luhan swung the door open the second he reached the rooftop.

 

“Sehun!”

Sehun was surprised as he didn’t expect he would see Luhan there.

“Come back in!”

Upon hearing Luhan’s command he obeyed without hesitating.

 

“What the hell are you doing here?” Luhan got nervous, yet relieved because Sehun wasn’t dead, yet.

“I… What are you doing here?” Sehun questioned him.

“I thought you wanted to die!”

Sehun raised his eyebrows.

“Luhan, what are you thinking? Why would I want to die when I’m just there to see –”

“See what?” Luhan exclaimed.

“I… alright. It was a perfect view for sunrise, I wanted to take you here on your birthday as a surprise, also for you to take beautiful photos of the sun. Happy now? Not a surprise anymore thanks to you.”

 

Breathing halted.

Tears poured.

Luhan hugged Sehun so tightly that he could almost break him.

He thought Sehun wanted a suicide.

Sehun didn’t know why.

 

They heard a soft sound somewhere around the rooftop. A kitten.

Sehun searched for it, maybe it’s trapped somewhere.

Luhan followed closely behind, even though he thought this might not be a good idea.

“It’s there!” Sehun pointed at the edge of the rooftop.

Luhan snatched Sehun’s wrist as Sehun was about to dart.

He was too afraid to lose him, he knew, it was an accident.

If he didn’t grab hold of Sehun, it will be an accident again.

 

“No. Sehun. Please don’t.”

“But –”

“It’s too dangerous. We’ll ask for help.”

 

-

 

Luhan struggled to open his eyes the next morning. The call to Sehun was engaged. He sobbed.

He lost Sehun, already.

 

What’s meant to be, will be.

 

Luhan continued to search for the meadow, so he could see Sehun again.

Just that Sehun never left Luhan, he had been watching Luhan all these years.

“Luhan, I’m here. You can’t see me, but I’m still here.”

 

On the day when Luhan finally found his meadow, a white daisy bloomed by the river.

Luhan saw Sehun on the other side of the river trying to hand the white daisy to Luhan, it was only a photo Luhan captured.

Luhan was still lost in the maze time had set for him.

 

If only parallel universes could meet. But parallelism is meant to never meet.

The ends are meant to reach out to infinity.

So is Sehun’s existence in Luhan’s photos.

So is Luhan’s existence in Sehun’s meadow.

 

Yet the love between them, is as pure as daisy.