Ice

25 Minute Drabbles

‘,’ Taemin moaned dejectedly as he watched inches of snow rain down on Jonghyun’s car from a tree overhanging the street. It was a crisp minus five degree morning and they were now faced with the joyous task of digging the vehicle out from a mountain of snow before speeding off to a meeting for which they were already an hour late.

                ‘This is some kind of sick joke, right?’ He grumbled to Jonghyun who was just now stepping out the door.

                ‘Relax, it’s just a bit of … ice.’ The older man delayed as Taemin slipped down the ice-covered steps leading from the apartment block.  ‘Aww, baby,’ Jonghyun cooed, though evidently suppressing a laugh. ‘Come on, give me your hand.’

                Taemin frowned by allowed his boyfriend to help him stand. ‘I ing hate winter, Jjong,’ he growled, tramping through the ankle-deep powder to the white mountain that was the car. ‘I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.’ He slapped at the snow covering the windscreen in a flurry of fists.

                ‘It’s just a bit of frozen water, calm down.’ Jonghyun started digging around the tyres with a big, flat plastic shovel.

                ‘Frozen bull is what it is.’

                ‘Well I think it’s kind of romantic.’

                Taemin scoffed at his older lover’s sentiments. Snow was romantic when watching itthe float down in a silent blanket from inside a warm house. Snow was romantic when curled up in bed, looking out the window at a world turned white. Snow was romantic when it was someone else shovelling it off your car at eight in the morning.

                ‘Hey, Taemin,’ Jonghyun called.

                Taemin turned around to see Jonghyun holding a pile of snow in his gloved hands.

                ‘I made you a snow heart.’

                The young man rolled his eyes and returned to his assault on his snowy opponent. Something collided with the small of his back with a thud. He glanced over his shoulder to see the remains of Jonghyun’s snow heart fluttering to the ground. Taemin was silent with rage.

                ‘You’re as cold as ice,’ Jonghyun sung, his light-hearted playfulness only proving to infuriate Taemin more. The young man lunged and they tumbled back, Jonghyun’s hearty laugh ringing loud as they rolled about in the snow.