Final

Tutor Wanted

                                                     

Baekhyun leaned back in his chair and stared out at the field. He could make out the track team practicing, running back and forth, led by their captain. Baekhyun smiled as he watched one person in particular outrun everyone.

It had become a routine for him now, coming to the library and taking the seat closest to the window, overlooking the field. The librarian even began to anticipate Baekhyun’s arrival, and looked forward to her 4pm every Thursday and Friday. It was safe to say she had a small crush. Though she wouldn’t admit it.

It all started two years ago, when a young Baekhyun had walked into the library, looking for books he needed for his exams. Stressed and upset, he had sat down beside the window and looked out at the field, only to have his eye caught by a laughing, excited male who was running around with a special glint in his eye. Of course it was only a matter of time before Baekhyun found out who he was, and what he did every Thursday and Friday.

“Do Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun smiled at himself, back in the present. He shook his head slightly and turned back to his books. Daydreaming about Kyungsoo was not going to help him with this assignment.

At the front of the library, the librarian stood by her desk, sighing because she knew the reason behind Baekhyun’s smile.

Outside on the field, some of the players gently nudged their beloved captain. “He’s staring at you again, captain.” They chuckled as they ran past.

Kyungsoo looked up to see the smartest student from his year sitting by the window in the library, biting his lip in concentration, brushing his bangs out of his eyes every once in a while. His eyes never straying from his textbook.

Kyungsoo shook his head at his teammates and continued running drills.

 

Over the next week, Baekhyun got really busy, finishing assignments and preparing for exams and Kyungsoo was heavily involved in practices. They had a meet coming up soon. Baekhyun sighed in his room. The last two months of school were the worst, especially because he had no reason to go to the library, and the sight of a sweaty, slightly red faced Kyungsoo always distracted him, which is why he opted to sit in his room now. his lips, with a determined look in his eyes, Baekhyun opened his textbook and began studying.  Only to be interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Yeah?” Baekhyun opened the door to see one of the track team members standing outside his door.

“Hi, my name is Sehun. I’m in first year. Um, I was wondering if you could help me.” Sehun looked at the ground and shuffled his feet nervously.

“Uh, why not? What’s the problem?”  Baekhyun moved back to let Sehun enter his room.

“Um, I’m not really ready for the exams, and hyung says that if I don’t get at least a 70, I’m not allowed to go to the track meet. I NEED to go, hyung. I know you’re the top student on campus. Can you please tutor me?” Sehun pleaded.

“Sehun, I have my own exams to study for, plus you’re first year, I’m fourth year. My courses are much-” Baekhyun broke off as Sehun’s eyes started watering.

“Fine, I understand hyung. I-I’ll just tell Kyungsoo hyung that I can’t go to the meet.” Sehun’s shoulders slumped and he walked out of the door.

“ARGH!” Baekhyun grabbed his hair and yanked, before finally deciding to run after Sehun. “YAH! I’ll help you. Just…come to the library on the weekends.” Baekhyun gave Sehun one last look before adding, “By noon. And don’t be late.”

Baekhyun walked away, leaving behind a grinning Sehun who excitedly pumped his fists in the air.

“What’s got you so excited?” Kyungsoo came up from behind Sehun.

“Baekhyun-hyung is going to tutor me in math!” Sehun smiled.

“Huh. I thought he didn’t tutor anyone. I mean, I asked him in first year, and he said no.” Kyungsoo looked at a retreating Baekhyun, and shrugged. As long as his star player got to go to the meet.

 

“Why are you so late in asking for help?” Baekhyun looked at Sehun who was seated across from him, shaking his head at a simple math problem. “If you had problems, you should have asked sooner.”

“You know, I do have an ego. Kinda known for it. Sehun looked at Baekhyun and smiled. “Hyung, I’m stupid, remember? I was too dumb to ask for help when I should have.”

“Sehun-ah. No one is stupid. It’s just a matter of applying yourself.  You were smart enough to ask for help in the end, and you are smart enough to try your best. That’s all that counts.” Baekhyun smiled sweetly at Sehun and placed his hand on the younger’s shoulder. “Don’t think like that, OK?”

Sehun’s ears turned red from the praise and he bowed his head slightly.  “Thanks, hyung.”

 

“I don’t know why I never tutored anyone before. I mean, it’s actually a lot of fun!” Baekhyun smiled as he sipped his coffee. After a four hour tutoring session with Sehun, where the latter kept going off on tangents, the two had decided to go grab some well-deserved coffee, Sehun’s treat.

“Hey, what are you guys doing, here?” Kyungsoo and the track team entered the café and pulled up chairs to Baekhyun’s table.

“I took hyung out for coffee.” Sehun smiled up at Baekhyun who grinned back affectionately.

“For putting up with you?” Kyungsoo teased the maknae.

“Ah, no. I actually really enjoyed spending so much time with someone else.” Baekhyun smiled. “Sehun-ah is really good company.”

“Sehun-ah?” One of the team members asked, making Baekhyun blush.

“Aish, he’s my tutee. What are you implying?” Baekhyun’s red ears earned a round of laughter from the entire team.

“Would you guys like to order something?” The team looked up to see the café owner, Minseok standing above them, smiling.

“Um, what are you guys having?” Kyungsoo asked Sehun and Baekhyun.

“Simple coffee.” Baekhyun said.

“Espresso.” Sehun replied.

‘I’ll have coffee.” Kyungsoo ordered. “Same as the smart guy.” Kyungsoo looked over at Baekhyun, who offered an awkward small smile back.

The smart guy Baekhyun thought, a little hurt. I have a name.

“He has a name.” Sehun said, as if reading Baekhyun’s mind. “You can use it, here, I’ll tell you... Baekhyun. His name is Baekhyun. Right hyung?” Sehun looked at Baekhyun who laughed.

“Yeah. Byun-Baekhyun.” Baekhyun extended his hand to Kyungsoo who shook it firmly.

“I know.” Kyungsoo said.

“Here’s your coffee. Don’t spill anything, you punks.” The voice belonged to Minseok’s employee, Luhan, who was carrying a tray of coffees for the table.

There was a chorus of “Thank you” from the table and Luhan just nodded before leaving.

“He’s hot.” Sehun leaned over and whispered in Baekhyun’s ear. “Like, hotter than my espresso. Hotter than Death Valley.”

“I get it!” Baekhyun laughed. “Now drink up.”

 

By the time the group in the café parted ways, Kyungsoo was a little miffed, Baekhyun was in high spirits and Sehun was drunk…on love.

“I’m gonna marry him.” Sehun announced to Kyungsoo who was driving Sehun to their dorms.

“Marry who?” Kyungsoo asked, heart beating fast.

“Shhhhh, it’s a secret.” Sehun laughed, not noticing the expression on Kyungsoo’s face.

“Aish! He tutored you for only a day and you’ve already fallen in love?” Kyungsoo asked, his tone containing a hint of annoyance.

“Um, what? Baekhyun-hyung?” Sehun looked at Kyungsoo and laughed. “Not at all! Have you seen him? He’s a complete bookworm. A hot bookworm, Like, a REALLY hot bookworm…” Sehun trailed off, thinking.

“YAH! Are you now thinking about Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo smacked Sehun.

“OW! Hyung! Why do you care? And plus, have you seen Baekhyun-hyung? When he bites his lips, he’s sooo cute. Plus, you should see him when he’s teaching. He has this intense look in his eyes and he keeps flicking his bangs out of his eyes. SO CUTE!” Sehun proclaimed.

“So, it IS Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo was confused.

“No, It’s Luhan. Hyung, how can you not know? I’ve been in love for the past year now! GODDAMIT, I DON’T EVEN LIKE COFFEE!!!” Sehun looked at Kyungsoo. “Plus, I was only joking about Baekhyun-hyung. I only look at him as a friend.” Shrugging, Sehun relaxed in Kyungsoo’s car, leaving his hyung bewildered.

“I’m going to go crazy if I hang around you any longer.” Kyungsoo shook his head as he dropped Sehun off at the first year dorms.

“Bye hyung!” Sehun waved as Kyungsoo pulled away, shaking his head as he approached the fourth year dorms.

 

The meet was in three months, but exams were just next month. The pressure was getting to everyone. Heck, Kyungsoo made his track team run with their textbooks strapped to their backs, and people were now flocking to poor Baekhyun for tutoring sessions.

“Please, I have to do my own work too!” Baekhyun cried out loud. He was surrounded by a swarm of people, mostly third year jocks. “I can’t tutor all of you!”

“You better tutor me , or I’ll make sure you can’t even walk to your own exams.” One of the jocks stepped forward, a grim look in his eyes.

“W-Why are you guys coming to me? Why now?” Baekhyun stepped back, intimidated.

“Yah, what’s going on here?” Kyungsoo’s voice cut in, and Baekhyun felt a hand on his shoulder gently guiding him back.

Kyungsoo stepped in front of Baekhyun and glared at the jock.

“Listen Kyungsoo, we’re both heads of the athletic council. Let’s not get messy.” The jock sneered before trying to grab Baekhyun’s collar.

“First of all, I’m the head and you’re the assistant executive. Second of all, my friend here has a name. Can you remember his name?” Kyungsoo pushed back the jock, and tilted his head to the side.

“Kyun- ” The jock began.

“No, that’s my name. Aigoo, seems like you need more help than just tutoring.” Sneering Kyungsoo grabbed Baekhyun’s arm and steered him away from the crowd.  “Oh, and if any of you touches my friend here, I will be sure to deal with you personally.” Kyungsoo turned back and continued walking towards the dorms, holding onto Baekhyun’s arm.

“Thanks.” Baekhyun said, once the pair reached his room. “You were really intimidating out there. I didn’t know you had that side.” Baekhyun shuffled, nervous.

“I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo said. “It’s my fault you are being swarmed. I asked Sehun to get tutoring, and I recommended you. Look, if anyone bothers you, just tell me. You shouldn’t let your studies suffer for the sake of everyone else.” Kyungsoo patted Baekhyun’s shoulder before leaving.

Baekhyun just stared as his crush walked away, then ducked into his room.

“You mess with me, you mess with my crush, es!” Baekhyun whispered as he did a little dance around the room.

Outside, Kyungsoo stared at his door before going in.  He ran his hands through his hair aggressively as he entered. No one was going to mess with Baekhyun if Kyungsoo had his way, which he was determined to have.  Only because he was tutoring Kyungsoo’s star player. Not because of anything else. Or so Kyungsoo told himself.

 

So it came to pass that over the course of the next few weeks, Baekhyun and Sehun would study from noon to four, and then go out for coffee, where Sehun would attempt to strike up a conversation with an ever disinterested Luhan. The only other person who seemed to join them regularly was Kyungsoo, who would wait for them, coffees ready.  Whenever someone came to bother Baekhyun, Kyungsoo would always be there, and so it was only natural that whenever Kyungsoo had any problems in school, Baekhyun would be there, textbooks and vast knowledge at hand. 

And thus it was inevitable that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo began hanging out a lot afterwards.

And that Baekhyun’s feelings only intensified.

And Kyungsoo only grew more and more confused about what he was feeling.

 

“HYUNG!” Sehun screamed at Baekhyun as the latter exited the exam hall.

“OH MY GOD, SEHUN! WHAT’S WRONG?” Baekhyun ran forward and shook the younger blond male, checking him over for signs of injury.

“Hyung, I – I did it. I knew every single answer on that exam, and, well, I passed the exam!” Sehun was jumping up and down, his face red and a broad grin spreading across his face. “Where is Kyungsoo hyung? Let’s all go celebrate!” With that, Sehun grabbed Baekhyun’s hand and, lacing their fingers together, walked towards Kyungsoo’s exam room.

“Huh. I guess his exam was over early?”  Baekhyun looked around. “Should we just text him to meet us at the coffee shop and head over ourselves?”

Sehun nodded, and sent off a quick text to Kyungsoo before rushing out of school, fingers laced through Baekhyun’s.   “You won’t even believe the mark I got. Teacher actually posted it up! I can’t believe he marked the exams in two days! You know, he told us he stayed up all night marking them? All 200 of them. He has a lot of students.” Sehun was rambling out of excitement now.

“I understand you’re excited Sehun, but please don’t chew my ear off!” Baekhyun groaned, putting a finer on Sehun’s lips, motioning him to be quiet.

Sehun grinned. “Hyung, you’re too cute.”

“Who’s too cute?” Kyungsoo walked up to the table, pulling up a chair, but stopping short as he noticed Sehun and Baekhyun’s linked hands.  “Are you guys deciding to make your relationship public?”

“What? NO!” Baekhyun quickly pulled his hand away, not before noticing the look of amusement that passed Sehun’s face, or Luhan’s raised eyebrows from behind the counter. He definitely could not miss Minseok’s booming laughter from two tables over as he almost spilled his coffee on the customers. Baekhyun’s face and ears turned tomato red, and he hid his face in his hands. “ARGH!”

“I was just saying that Baekhyun-hyung is really cute.” Sehun announced to Kyungsoo who almost choked on his coffee, and Minseok who burst out laughing again.

“Don’t you punks have exams?” Luhan called out from behind the counter.

“I was done my last one two days ago.” Sehun offered Luhan a small smile before turning to Baekhyun.  “So, like I was saying, hyung. My teacher marked all the exams, and guess what this guy got?”

“70?” Baekhyun offered with a smile.

“Aish, don’t underestimate yourself hyung! You did a MUCH better job than that! A whole 15 percent better job than that.” Sehun’s face broke into a wide grin as he got up suddenly, his chair falling on the ground. “THIS HYUNG IS THE BEST DAMN HYUNG IN THE HISTORY OF HYUNGS!” Sehun announced, pointing to a blushing Baekhyun.  “You’re really awesome!” Sehun pulled Baekhyun out of his seat and gave him a bear hug, before jumping up and down.

“I don’t think Sehun needs coffee today.” Luhan mumbled as he went into the back of the café, looking slightly put off.

Outside, Sehun was jumping around like a little bunny, and Baekhyun was too busy blushing. Both too focused on their tasks to notice a pouting Kyungsoo or a miffed Luhan.

Sigh.

 

“Are your exams done?” Sehun caught up with Kyungsoo, who was walking out of the school.

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo nodded. He was slightly pink in the face and sweating.  Track practice had just ended and both the males were slightly out of breath.  “I’m going out to meet Luhan at Minseok’s café, so leave me alone.”

“Wait, are you…dating Luhan-hyung?” Sehun asked, his hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, gripping it tightly.

“Ummmm NO.” Kyungsoo said. “We’re just attending a concert together. It’s our favorite band.”

“Is it EXO? Because if it is then you should give ME the tickets because I like that band more than you do, hyung.” Sehun followed Kyungsoo to his car.

“How about no.” Kyungsoo shrugged off Sehun’s hand as he began to open his car door.

“HYUNG!” Sehun pressed himself against the door, refusing to let Kyungsoo through. “I can’t let you ruin my love life. You’ve already ed up your own!”

“What love life? And what do you mean I’ve ed up my own? Can I please go, Sehun?”

“I love Luhan-hyung. I should get to spend time with him, not you. Also, the way you act with Baekhyun-hyung obviously shows ME that you like him, but to him, it seems as  if you are indifferent.” Sehun put a hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “Take my advice hyung, and go spend some time with Baekhyun-hyung. You guys have only half of the year left before you guys go to your own separate universities. I know, because he wants to go study in the US and you are planning on accepting the track scholarship offered to you in Korea. So, go spend some time with him, and give me the tickets. I’ll take Luhan-hyung to the concert.”

Sehun grinned as a scowling Kyungsoo handed over the tickets to him. “You owe me, .” Kyungsoo punched Sehun as he walked away.

“Wait, HYUNG! I can’t drive!” Sehun called after Kyungsoo who had begun walking towards his dorms.

“Take the bus!” Kyungsoo grinned, evilly and walked into the dorm building, avoiding the pebble aimed for his head.

 

“Hey, Baekhyun, are you in there?” Kyungsoo knocked on Baekhyun’s door, and was greeted by the grinning boy.

“Hey, Kyungsoo. What brings you to the nerd side of the dorm?” Baekhyun grinned and let Kyungsoo into his room.

“Um, I was wondering if you’d like to just…hang out today. You know, just you…and me.” Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head, suddenly shy.

“Sure!” Baekhyun grabbed his jacket and scarf before following Kyungsoo out the door.  “So, where to?”

“Um, I don’t really know. Let’s just… go hang at the café.” Kyungsoo started for his car, but was stopped by Baekhyun who grabbed his arm.

“I have a better idea.” Pulling Kyungsoo along with him, Baekhyun walked towards his own car and motioned for Kyungsoo to get in.

“Where are we going?” It was Kyungsoo’s turn to be curious.

“Somewhere.”

“What are you doing?” Kyungsoo asked, as Baekhyun buckled his seat belt for him. Kyungsoo’s ears turned red at the sudden close proximity to Baekhyun.

“Kidnapping you.” Baekhyun flashed Kyungsoo a smirk before pulling out of the parking lot and driving out.

 

“I swear, Kyungsoo you look a lot like Sehun.” Luhan said, sarcastically as an excited Sehun waved EXO tickets in his face.

“I’m taking you instead. Hyung is with hyung.” Sehun looked at Luhan who only looked irritated.

“That’s so ing specific.”

“Oh, right. Kyungsoo hyung with Baekhyun hyung. Anyways, if you don’t wanna go, I’ll just take someone else.” Sehun shrugged, nonchalantly, though he was quite hurt by the irritated look in Luhan’s eyes.

“Aish! I’m coming!” Luhan grabbed his coat and scarf before following Sehun outside. “Where’s you ca- oh right, you can’t drive yet. Never mind, let’s go in my car.” Luhan pulled Sehun to his car by the ear.

“YAH! HYUNG! WHAT THE HELL!??!!?” Sehun screamed, rubbing his ear as they approached Luhan’s car. “Holy, , hyung. How can you afford this on a barista’s paycheck?”

“Idiot. I have another job other than this. This” Luhan motioned around him, “is a hobby. Just like Minseok. We have other jobs, you dumb. Why do you think our hours are so weird?”

“Hyung, I may be younger than you, and I may seem dumb but I do deserve some respect. You really can’t talk to me like that.” Sehun’s eyes were tearing up, having had enough of Luhan’s attitude. “You know, a simple ‘I don’t want to go to the concert with you’ would have sufficed.” Shoving the tickets into a surprised Luhan’s arms, Sehun wiped his eyes and walked away.

“Hey! HEY!” Luhan called after Sehun, to be met with no response. “Well, .” Luhan got into his car.

 

“Whoa.” Kyungsoo followed Baekhyun up a small hill. “What is this?”

“Um, this is a hill.” Baekhyun replied, sassily, earning a chuckle and a playful punch from Kyungsoo.  “Um, this is the place I used to come to quite often with my parents. Well, that is before my mom got diagnosed with cancer.” Baekhyun’s tone turned serious as he stared out at the land that lay beneath him. “After that, I used to come here whenever times would get tough.”

“Have you been here recently?” Kyungsoo asked, putting a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder, comforting him.

“Not since I met you and Sehun.” Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo and was surprised to see his eyes red. “Oh, sorry. Did I say something?”

“No, no. It’s just… Thank you for sharing this with me.” Kyungsoo pulled Baekhyun into a hug, and Baekhyun stiffened immediately. 

“Um.. what?”

“Just hug me back, you dummy.” Kyungsoo’s voice was muffled by Baekhyun’s coat. Smiling, Baekhyun put his arms around Kyungsoo and relaxed. “Get used to this.” Kyungsoo said, not letting go of Baekhyun.

“What?” Baekhyun repeated himself.

“I said, get used to this. Because I’m not letting go.” Kyungsoo tightened his arms around Baekhyun and the other boy did the same.

“I hope you know I’ve had the biggest crush on you for the past three years.” Baekhyun bit his lip, revealing this piece of information.

“I hope you know I’ve been reciprocating those feelings for the past three years.” Kyungsoo looked at the boy standing so close to him, and smiled.  “Maybe even longer. Maybe since even before the day I asked you to tutor me in Bio, when in fact it’s my best subject. Maybe since orientation day when I saw you grinning like a madman because you won the apple bobbing competition. Maybe since the moment I saw you, hair plastered on your face, eyes shining and teeth with apple bits stuck between them. Maybe since then I’ve had  a huge crush on you.” Kyungsoo was so close to Baekhyun now that he could feel the other boy’s warm breath.

“Just a crush?” Baekhyun asked a little breathless over the thought of how close his mouth was to Kyungsoo’s.

“At first.” Kyungsoo smiled. “Then, it turned into like, then, it was…much more. Much, much more.”

“I’m glad.” Baekhyun grinned and captured Kyungsoo’s mouth with his, unable to resist.

Kyungsoo smiled and kissed Baekhyun back. The two stood like that for a long time, holding each other and kissing, paying no attention to the falling snow or the harsh winter wind around them.  Their hearts were warmed by the other’s love.

 

“Get in.” Sehun looked beside him to see Luhan driving his car, windows rolled down.

“no.” Sehun stared straight ahead and kept walking. What right did Luhan have to ask him to get inside his car when previously Sehun had been insulted so badly.

“In. NOW.” Luhan’s voice broke through Sehun’s thoughts.

“Bye.” Sehun entered his dorms, and slumped in the bench near the doors. He couldn’t believe he had walked all the way back. He had forgotten about the bus in all his anger, and the cold air had helped him calm down enough to stop crying.  Suddenly,  Sehun felt himself being pulled up, out of the bench and forced out of the dorms. “WHAT THE HELL!!???!! How did you even get inside? Where did you even get the pass key?” Sehun shrieked, seeing Luhan pull him to his car.

“The guard is an old friend of mine.” Luhan pushed Sehun on his car, and frankly, Sehun was too tired to even bother arguing anymore.  “We’re gonna be late for the concert.”

“Whatever.” Sehun stared out the window as Luhan pulled out of the parking lot.

“Sehun… Sehun, I’m sorry.” Luhan spoke up, suddenly, his voice soft.

Sehun’s eyes widened. He had never heard Luhan speak in such a soft tone, let alone apologize to anyone.

“I-I…ugh, how do I even say it?”

“Don’t” Sehun said. “I don’t want your excuse.”

“I was jealous.” Luhan blurted out.

“You were what?” Sehun swiveled around in his seat to stare at Luhan.

“I was jealous. Listen, I know you’re too young for me, and I can’t date you, but I really like you. I mean, Sehun, you’ve got such a bright personality, you’re always smiling and have you LOOKED AT YOURSELF??!!?? I just…tried to stay away from you, but I couldn’t. SO, I made YOU stay away from me with my mean words. DO you know how often Minseok has made me change Baekhyun’s coffee because he caught me spitting in it?” Luhan stopped at a red light, and took the opportunity to look at Sehun, who was grinning at him like a fool.  “What? Why’re you looking at me like that?”

“You thought hyung and I were dating?” Sehun asked, giggling.

“You…you aren’t?” Luhan asked.

“Nope. He’s my tutor, a really good friend, more like a brother than anything.  I only like YOU.” Sehun poked Luhan’s chest and the elder smiled as he resumed driving.

“In that case, I’m definitely sorry for spitting in his coffee. It’s a good thing Minseok always caught me.” Luhan smiled a little before turning to Sehun. “So, YOU like ME?”

“Yup. So, you better start dressing better. I can’t have a boyfriend that dresses worse than I do.”

“Shut up.” Luhan laughed, relief spreading through his veins.

“I really like you, hyung.”

“I really like you, Sehun-ah.”

 

Baekhyun returned to his dorms really late that night, and was surprised to see a car in his parking spot.

“Who’s car…” He looked at Kyungsoo, who was smiling.

“Luhan’s”

“Didn’t he go to a concert with Sehun, today?” Baekhyun smirked.

“I guess both me and Sehun are going to have someone special cheering for us during our meet.” Kyungsoo stole a glance at the boy sitting beside him.

Baekhyun laced his fingers through Kyungsoo’s. “I guess.”