An occurrence

An occurrence on the 1826th day.

An occurrence on the 1826th day.

 

.

.

.

 

            Hyuk stood alone on the road, dressed smartly in his newly dry washed dark blue suit, his hair teased up to show his smooth forehead. A dozen of roses in his hand, he looked around, waiting for his date, you.

 

            Checking his watch for the fifth time already, his brows knotted in confusion. Where were you? You two had agreed to meet here, half an hour ago, but you were still nowhere to be seen. Did you get into an accident? Did you get into trouble? Hyuk’s heart races as he thinks of all the terrible things you could have encountered on your way here.

 

            It was times at this that he wished he wasn't an idol, and could actually have a phone of his own, so that he could call you.

 

            Hyuk was starting to get uneasy, as the people around him send curious looks at him. Thankfully none had recognized him (he did try hard to find a more remote place) but they were quite curious to why a young handsome man like him, was standing here alone with flowers in his hands.

 

            Perhaps he should head into the coffee shop a few meters ahead, and give you a call…

 

            Then he saw you, running towards him, a backpack slung on the shoulder.

 

            “Noona!” Hyuk called, a smile spread across his lips as he waves towards you.

 

            “Hyuk-ah!” You stop once you reach him, wiping the sweat off your forehead. “I’m sorry, I was working on my college papers and I didn't see the time, so I missed the bus and –“

 

            Hyuk’s smile falters. “What’s wrong?” You ask.

 

            He looks at you from head to toe, “Why are you wearing that?” He asks, referring to your white sweater and jeans. You stare back confused, yes indeed; you two were wearing completely different attires…

 

            Even before, when he got off work, Hyuk always made sure he would change into something more comfortable, like a sweater and some jeans, rather than showing up in a nicely tailored suit…

 

            Then you see the flowers, and your eyes widen. Oh… …

 

            “You forgot, didn’t you?” Hyuk’s voice was calm and smooth, but you could sense the storm that was blowing through his mind.

 

            You open your mouth, but you couldn’t find the correct words to say. Yes, how could you, you had forgotten about your dating anniversary! Your mind processes this information quickly, oh ; it was your fifth anniversary too… One of those important ones…

 

            Last year Hyuk had a schedule, and so all you two did was talk over the phone, congratulating each other for being a good boyfriend/girlfriend, and you didn’t do much about it… You squeeze your eyes shut in horror, oh god, how could you have forgotten such an important date?

 

            “Look, Hyuk, I’m sorry-“ You begin, but he already turns to walk away.

 

            “Hyuk, wait!” You call after him. His legs were much longer than yours, so he walked much faster too; you end up jogging a little after him, struggling to keep up with his pace.

 

            “I’m sorry I forgot, things have just been so busy with college and –“

 

            “You don’t have to make excuses, I know you just think this is childish.”

 

            What? Why would he think that?

 

            Hyuk stops and turns around, grabbing you by the shoulder. You see that he is not angry, but in fact, sad. “You don’t have to entertain me, Noona. Do you think that all my preparations for our anniversary is childish?”

 

            “What? No, Hyuk –”

 

            “Do you think that it’s cute, watching me getting all excited about our anniversary? Do you think it’s cute, when I say ‘I love you’ to you, because to you it’s equivalent to a child telling that to his mother?”

 

            “I do think you’re cute, but that's not the –”

 

            His harsh tone cuts off your words. “Noona, we have been dating for five years now, and I have always been a child in your eyes, haven’t I?” He gestures to his dark blue suit, “and to think I specifically dressed up,” he points to the flowers, “and buying flowers, and even reserving a meal at that really fancy restaurant down the street which you always said you wanted to try… Do you find this all cute?

 

            You stare back at him, speechless.

 

            “When you look at me, do you see the young fifteen year old, who called ‘noona’, ‘noona’, after you daily, asking you if you would ‘hang out’ with me? Do you see the fifteen-year-old boy who fell for his tutor?” He brings your chin up, forcing you to look directly at him.

 

            “Do you still see the fifteen year old boy, who you think is cute?” You notice how hard it is to keep at your position, how Hyuk has grown much taller than he was 5 years ago. You struggle to keep your head up, watching the dark eyes stare back at your sadly.

 

            There was a moment of silence, as you two stood close to each other, but not touching other than your chin and his fingers. The people on the street walk by and stare, gossiping at view of your lover’s quarrel.

 

            Hyuk had grown up, you realize. He was no longer that young next-door neighbor you tutored, and agreed to date, because he was so cute you couldn’t resist… He has grown up, and you haven’t.

 

            “I just don't want to be seen as a child anymore, especially not by you. I am a man now, I am twenty years old,” He says, running his fingers through his hair. Sighing deeply, he concludes, “Just let me be alone for a moment alright? I don't want to argue, I just need to cool off,” And he begins to walk away.

 

“Wait!” You pull him towards you, your small arms wrap around him into a tight embrace.

 

            He freezes at the instant connection, “Noona?”

 

            “Hyuk-” You breath, pressing yourself tighter to his back. You wait for a moment, letting your racing heartbeat ring through the body. “Do you feel it?”

 

            “Feel what?”

 

            “My heartbeat,” You pause a little longer this time, letting him feel the jumping heart’s vibrations pass through your body to his. “Is it fast?”

 

            “I guess so?”

 

            “Hyuk, I stopped being your tutor three years ago, but do you know why a my heart is beating so fast?”

 

            He was starting to get annoyed at this. “I don't know, maybe because you were running just now?”

 

            “No, Hyuk,” You pull him around so he’s facing you now. Staring into those eyes you insist sternly, “it’s because I love you,”

 

            Hyuk blinks back in shock. He has never heard you say that before, maybe the occasional “I like you,” but never something like this. 

 

“I didn’t think all this is childish,” You continue, “or your flowers or what you’re wearing is childish… You can feel it through my heartbeat right?" You ask. 

 

 "It’s fast, and jumpy, and I am nervous…”

 

            “I just…” You don’t know what was going through your mind. Why did you let it slip? It was your anniversary…

 

            “I don’t know…” Your voice drifts into an uncontrollable sob, and tears trickle down your cheek. “I’m so sorry Hyuk, ” You whisper. “I just didn’t know how to express it better?”

 

            Hyuk’s hard glare breaks at the sight of your tears.  Bringing your body closer to him, he pats your hair. “Hey, its okay, its okay, don't cry,”

 

            “I don't know what came over me either,” He says, “I’m sorry I was hard on you… You were busy with college stuff too right?” Hyuk whispers into your hair as he continues patting it. His hands are warm and large, and they send you this comforting sensation. It was calming, like you had found your safe haven… Hyuk made you feel safe, in his strong arms.

 

            You breath in his amazing smell, one that smelt of men’s’ cologne and coffee powder – something a true grown man would smell like. This is where you want to be.

 

Snuggling comfortably into his broad chest, you felt your stomach rumble. “So, if we’re all good now, can we go to the restaurant you talked about earlier? I’m getting really hungry.”

 

            Hyuk let a grin play on his lips. “Of course, but before that, I need to tell you something.”

 

            “Yes?”

 

            “Happy 5th Anniversary, my love,” He says, planting a chaste kiss on your lips.

 

           

 

_______

 

 

Ah Hyuk..

    By the way, 1826 days is 5 years, with 365*4 and then plus a leap year 366~

Comment abotu this story and tell me what you thought of it!

 

I will update the Lips and Fingertips Series as well as Letters to you sometime soon...

But as I mentioned before... Letters to you is becoming so hard to write because N is SO HARD TO WRITE ABOUT.

 

Well, unitl next time~

<3 Yoonah.