φ 001.01

{Rewritten Mythology} ξαναγραφεί Μυθολογία
First countdown
Scene 1

“The idea is absurd!”

Eleven pairs of eyes turn to look at the God sitting in the middle. Zeus stood firm as he looks down on the other Gods in the room.

“Brother, do not be rash on your decision! Give thought!” Poseidon exclaims as he places a hand on the shoulder of the Lightning God. Zeus removes the hand and clicks his tongue in disapproval.

“Poseidon is right, Zeus. Our time is almost up.” Aphrodite adds whilst playing with a curl of her hair.

“We are no longer in a world that we have known. Time has drastically changed and so should we.”

Zeus looks in between the Gods and frowns. He sits back in his seat and stares at the marble table in front of him, lost in thought.

King of Olympus. God of Lightning. Ruler of the sky. 

All those titles will be gone if he agrees with the notion of stepping down from the throne of Olympus. Zeus’ pride cannot take that. He remembers his adventures, his hardships to be on where he is right now, and if he agrees, everything will go to waste. He lets out a deep sigh as he delves deeper into thought, not noticing the figure that has arrived and was currently standing behind his seat.

“Do not let this trouble you, Zeus.”

At the mention of his name, Zeus turns around to see the small figure of Gaea’s son, Kyungsoo. The smaller male, in comparison to him and the other gods, had a small and lithe body that did not showcase the strength the Earth God truly has.

“Kyungsoo…” Zeus speaks and the male smiles at him and the other Gods.

“I’m sorry for my tardiness. I had some business to attend to.” Kyungsoo answers before taking a seat in the opposite end of Zeus. He interlaces his fingers together on top of the table and rests his chin on both hands before speaking.

“I assume that the matter been settled?”

There were a few nods of agreement from the figures gathered around the table, except for one. Kyungsoo sighs as he expectantly looks at the King, waiting for an answer. Feeling the Earth God's eyes on him, Zeus cannot help but frown as he finally gives into the idea, making Kyungsoo smile. 'It's for the best and for Olympus's future.'

“All those in favor of having the sons of the Eldest Gods compete to ascend the throne, say ‘aye’.”

“Aye!” The Gods' voices chorused.

~ξαναγραφεί~

“I’ve just arrived in Tokyo, umma.”

Strawberry blonde hair hides under a gray hoodie as bright brown doe-like eyes behind light-tinted sunglasses scan the entirety of Tokyo’s airport. Pulling the small traveling bag with him, Luhan takes a deep breath before making his way towards the sea of awaiting fan girls screaming out his name while holding those big, over-decorated placards that showcased his name and face in glitters.

“Luhan? Are you still there?”

Luhan turned his attention back to the woman he was talking to on the phone. He clutches the device nearer to his ear to hear his caller better. The loud screams from his fans made it impossible for him to hear anything from the person on the other line. He struggles against the hands that try to get a grab of him and the pieces of papers that are continuously being shoved in his face.

“I’m still here, Umma. But I think I have to go now. I’ll call you later. Send my greetings to Chanyeol.” Luhan says in a louder tone before pushing the ‘end call’ button. He sighs as he lets one of the guards take his luggage while he turns to his fans and wave with a heart-warming smile on his face. The fans shriek and shout out his name in happiness.

“Arigatou gozaimasu!” He bows before waving once more and turning to get inside the security of his rented car. A sigh escapes from his lips as his manager asks him if he was doing okay. He nods before averting his gaze to the tinted windows of the car just in time to see a girl knocking on the glass and mouthing the words, ‘I love you’.

I love you.

Luhan smiles sadly. 'Love, huh.'

~ξαναγραφεί~

The sound of metal clashing metal reigns in the silence of the garage as a figure lies struggling beneath a massive piece of machinery, his upper half completely hidden from view.

“Screw.”

The Golden Retriever sitting attentively by the side takes one of the small metal screws from the scattering toolboxes and hands it to the figure’s outstretched hand.

“Thanks, Buddy.”

There was a bark and the Retriever trots back, with a wagging tail, to sit by the side while watching his owner work with the gigantic thing called a car. There is a few more clinks and clanks before the figure slid out from beneath the car covered in oil and black soot.

“Hey, Buddy, can you hand me my towel?”

The puppy trots towards his owner, a clean towel in his muzzle. A gentle pat on the head was the reward and the puppy climbed onto the man’s lap.

“Hey! I’m covered in dirt!” Chanyeol chuckles as he picks up the pup and settles it beside him as he got up from the ground and walked towards the car. He opens the driver’s door and turns the ignition on. A soft purr came as the vehicle came to life and Chanyeol grins at the pup that is barking and running in circles.

“Who’s the best mechanic in town?” Chanyeol asks as he makes the engine roar and the puppy barks in enthusiasm as if to say ‘you!’. Chanyeol laughs and ruffles the small beast’s fur before getting out of the vehicle.

“Chanyeol! There’s a package for you!”

Chanyeol walks towards his house while wiping away the remaining dirt on his arms and face. He sees his Mom by the kitchen, pointing at the front door and he nods in understanding before rushing towards the front door.

“Luhan called. He told me to tell you that he’s doing fine.” the elder woman says the moment he sees Chanyeol walk down the stairs and Chanyeol stops in his tracks to look at his Mom.

“Oh, um, tell him that I’m glad to hear that.” Chanyeol answers, unsure, as he rubs the back of his neck. He turns and sprints towards the living room to see a lanky, tall boy sporting a face, sitting on the couch with a large box settled on the floor beside him.

“Park Chanyeol?” the boy asks and Chanyeol nods. The boy stands up, and without a change in expression, utters the next words that made Chanyeol feel excited and anxious at the same time.

“I have a delivery from your Father.”

~ξαναγραφεί~

The coffee shop lays in stillness as the first rays of sunlight peeks through its beige-colored curtains and laid light in the still-dark room. Minseok stands behind the counter with a cup filled with steaming hot, newly-brewed coffee in his hand. It is one of those regular weekdays and he has yet to open the shop and allow it to be flooded by customers of all ages.

Demeter’s Coffee Garden.

The only coffee shop in Seoul that hosts a garden-like theme that never fails to appall both newcomers and regulars. The shop was mainly built on the highest-priced cedar wood and decorated with the most luxurious, yet relaxing, ornaments that makes the customers feel as if they are wandering around in a garden of exotic herbs and plants. The menu consists of sweets and cakes that are made from the most ripe and fresh fruits shipped from different countries worldwide and the highest class of coffee beans that the people just can’t get enough of.

Minseok smiles as he takes a sip of his coffee before placing it on the counter and moving to pull back the curtains and get ready for the day. Minseok has just unlocked the front door when it suddenly slams open, making him jump back in surprise at the man standing in front of him.

“Give me a Double Espresso Macchiato and a Caramel Dolce Latte for take-out.” The man speaks and Minseok was too stunned to be able to register a response.

“I, uh, we’re not o-open yet.” Minseok stammers as he regains his senses and composure. The man’s stoic expression changes into that of a frown and knitted brows and was about to say something when a phone rang. Minseok watches as the man walks into the shop, phone by ear, and sits on one of the expensive Persian-clothed sofas. He gives the man a long stare and when the latter finally looks at him, he received a wave of the hand that said something along the lines of ‘go away’ or ‘make my coffee’.

“But we’re not open y-”

Minseok was silenced once more with the customer’s hand and he just groans in annoyance before walking to the work station to make the order so that the rude man can leave sooner.

Minseok feels nostalgic as he touches the very same equipment he has trained and worked with for the past three years, back when the coffee shop was just starting out. Ever since his business flourished, Minseok decided to stay behind the desk and let others do the work of making coffee – his favorite hobby, and now, just holding onto the same cups and silverware makes him feel so relaxed and in the zone. He finishes the man’s order by topping it with whipped cream and caramel syrup before covering the container. He approaches the man who was still talking on the phone and places the two cups of coffee on the table next to the man. He sees the man stand up, take out a bill from his wallet and walk towards the door of the shop with the two coffees in hand and phone lodged between his chin and shoulder blade.

“Keep the change.”

And with that, Minseok watched the man disappear through the door and leave him all alone in the serendipity of his coffee shop. He glances at the table where a ten thousand won bill lay proud and unwrinkled – that’s five times the cost of the order.

Minseok frowns and takes the money to the counter. He takes out the change and places it in an envelope before tucking it inside the vault in his office. He plans to give back the change when the customer comes again.

If the customer comes again, that is. That was the first time Minseok saw him, someone so young yet obviously well-known in the business regime based on the phone call he overheard earlier. And Minseok knows the stranger’s kind – rich, bratty, spoiled, conceited, arrogant. The very personification that Minseok hates and decided to leave behind in the past. He sighs when he suddenly hears the shop’s public telephone ring. He makes his way to the device and answers.

“Hello?”

» Midnight's note

Thank you for giving this story a chance! Please comment, upvote and subscribe!