The Girl and The Boy

The Girl and The Boy

"Once upon a time, there was this girl. She was very lonely, and were bullied nearly every day at school. Just because of her overweight. It wasn't THAT bad, but some people surely thought so. Before that, she was a fun and loving girl, a person who noticed the small things and never took anything for granted. 

Then one day, as she was being picked on behind the school's main building, a boy she had never seen walked up to her and the bullies. "What are you doing? Leave her alone, what did she ever do to you!?" He said bravely, and apparently, it was enough for the bullies to leave. "Are you okay?" The boy asked her. She was only able to nod, still a bit shocked at his kindness. 

The bullies would return the next day, and the day after that, and then a few weeks more. But so did the boy. He would keep an eye on the girl every day, ready to protect her once again.

Eventually, the bullies gave up, realizing they were going no where with it anymore. And for the first time in many years, a real smile showed on the girl's face. 

The girl and the boy got close friends quickly after that. The table she would always sit at in the cafeteria, that became a table for two. The bus-seat beside her on her daily route to and off school, the seat that no one dared sit in, was now occopied. A laugh she didn't know the sound of, suddenly became so familiar. A friend she never knew she could have, she had. He opened up to her, showed her his own insecurities and flaws, cried on her shoulder and called her on sleepless nights. It took a while, but she also opened up to him, and with him wiping away her every tear - she didn't regret it.

There was only one thing none of tthem never mentioned, her overweight. He knew she was overweight, that was pretty clear, he just never knew if it bothered her or not. But it did. A lot. 

One day tho, he caught her watching herself in the mirror, silent tears making their way down her chubby cheeks, her hands in fists and her whole body shaking. He comforted her and held her in his arms as she spilled out everything. He shushed her cries away, and with the words "to be, you're beautiful." His soft lips caught hers.

 

After that night, they started dating. The miracle of two people having each other as their first love. 

Just the last day of school, before the summer holidays, a girl at her school had said "he doesn't deserve you, he should be with someone pretty, slim, he deserves so much more." 

The girl then decided to actually go on a diet and lose weight. The next day would be the start. Over the summer, she only ate half of what she would have normally eaten, skipped the random snacks, started running and going on a lot of walks to the park and such. Her boyfriend was there with her all the time, cheering her on, even if she was so beautiful to him already. 

 

As she walked down the hallway on the first day back to school, you could seriously say that people stared. Not in the way they used to, in disgust. They were shocked. She had changed the dark, baggy pants out with a pair of light gray, tight skinny jeans. They showed off her now slim legs perfectly. Her XL black hoodie was replaced by a pretty sleeveless shirt in nave blue. Her dark gray-brownish hair that was never seen in any other way than a bun, was now blonde and flowing around her shoulders, bouncing softly with every step she took. Her glasses were also gone, as she started using contacts. She was pretty, and she was proud. And so was the boy, but his love for her stayed the same as before.

 

 

A long time passed, and on their 4th year anniversary, the boy confessed that he had to go back to his home country, China, for a while. He had moved to Korea a long time ago with his parents, but because of his grandma being deathly sick, his parents decided to take over the bakery she owned. They told him that he had to stay in China with them and take over the bakery himself when they were gone some day. 

"I promise I'll come back, give me some time, I'll come back and find you, please wait for me." He told the girl.

The next day, they were both at the airport, bidding each other goodbye, and promise after promise were made, that some day he would come back to her, and that she wouldn’t find anyone else. With a last "I'm sorry." and a quick "I love you." They went their seperate ways. He was now on a plane, and all she could do was stand there and watch her love fly away, as she let the tears flow freely. 

Slowly as the days passed by, her hope got smaller and smaller. After almost 2 years had gone by, she was clinging to a tiny hope, that he would keep his promise. If he didn't, would she ever be able to love someone else? Thoughts like "what if he found someone else?" "What if he forgot about me?" "What if he doesn't even remember my name? " would haunt her."

-

"But mommy, what was her name?" Your daughter asked you as she looked up at you from her bed. 

"Her name was Jihyun." You said and smiled a little. 

"Oh that's the same name as yours!" She said exitedly, even though it was very obvious she was going to fall asleep any second she still kept that energetic personality of hers. 

You smiled and looked down at your feet, the memories bringing a wave of emotions. 

"What about the boy? And did he come back?" She asked, yawning in the middle of the sentence.

"His name was Luhan, and..." you looked up and noticed that your daughter was already sleeping, light snores sounding from her. You smiled a bit more and pulled the covers up to her chin. After a minute of just enjoying the moment, you felt arms encircle your waist and a chin resting on your left shoulder. 

"Telling her a beautiful story I hear?" He chuckled.

"Yup." You giggled and leaned into his touch. "But she fell asleep before the end." 

"And they lived happily ever after." He said and smiled, turning you around to look at him.

You smiled and leaned up to kiss him, and just before your lips collided you whispered: "I love you, Luhan."