Ch. 1 - Jimin - The meeting

What's your dream?

It was another slow day in the restaurant, and Jimin heaved a sigh. “So bored…” he complained aloud to nobody in particular.

Jungkook overheard of course – kind of hard not to, when Jimin had a naturally loud and distinct voice and when the music in the restaurant was so quiet – and chuckled at his posture. Jimin was sprawled in a chair, legs splayed wide and head tipped back, the epitome of a lazy, bored worker. “Ya, you better get up before Jin comes back,” he said rather informally. “He won’t like to see you lazing around like that.”

“Ya yourself! I’m your hyung!” Jimin growled even as he sat up rather hurriedly. “Brat,” he muttered in annoyance. “There’s not even anything for us to do… there’s no customers…”

“You know that changes as soon as 5 rolls around, we better finish stocking everything and making sure everything’s ready,” Jungkook reminded him, rolling his eyes. “And I’ve been working here longer, so I have seniority. I don't have to call you hyung.”

“Aish… you brat…” But Jimin did get up and start wiping down the tables, knowing he wouldn’t have time later.

The bell above the door tinkled, and both waiters yelled out a cheery “Welcome!” automatically. Jimin chucked his cleaning rag on the table and hastily wiped his hands on his apron, going over to seat the customer.

A pale-skinned, dark-haired guy was standing there, glancing around a little nervously. “Hi, table for how many?” Jimin greeted, looking curiously at the guy. He was kind of cute, Jimin thought privately. So unlike the uncute Jungkook back there. Would be nice to have him as a dongsaeng instead of the brat.

The guy blinked, still looking a little confused. “Oh. Uh. I’m not here to eat. You have a hiring sign outside…?”

“Ah!” Jimin’s face lit with enlightenment. “You’re looking for a job!” Inwardly, he cheered. Even less work for him to do now.

“Uh. Yeah.” The guy scratched at his head a little nervously. “Uh… is your manager here?”

“He’ll be back soon,” Jimin said carelessly. “In the meantime, want to sit and wait in here? I can get you a drink if you’d like.”

“Uh… sure.” Jimin smiled widely and led him over to a table. “Can I just get water?” he asked hesitantly.

“Yup, I’ll have it for you in a second.” Jimin went over to the counter where they stored the water jugs and poured a glass of water. Jungkook nudged him, a smirk on his lips.

“Ya… that guy’s looking for a job? Wonder how old he is? He’s almost as short as you.” Jimin shot a glare at Jungkook.

“Would it kill you to just call me hyung once? Ugh… and yeah, he might be my age or something.” To be honest, Jimin was a little excited to learn more about this guy. Something about him was really… intriguing. Like there was a lot more to him than the shy, nervous personality he was showing.

Jimin brought the glass over to the table and slid into the seat opposite him. “So… if you’re going to be working here, let’s introduce ourselves.” He smiled, eyes crinkling at the corners with it. “I’m Park Jimin, 18, waiter, cleaner, cook, barista, cashier, and whatever else is needed.” He raised an eyebrow. “How about you?”

“Min Yoongi, 20, indie rapper, lyricist, barista, and hopefully a waiter soon.” Jimin’s jaw dropped.

“Wait so you’re my hyung then?” Damn. So much for a cute dongsaeng. “And… did you say… indie rapper? Cool!” A little wistfully, he added, “And you can write songs? Wow…”

Yoongi flashed a smile, though it still seemed a little nervous. “Nothing big… But I mean… My music’s pretty well known in some circles.” There was definitely pride in that statement, and Jimin smiled again.

“Can I hear some? I like raps,” Jimin said, honestly curious. He actually loved most types of music, thanks to his former dance days, but he hadn’t really gotten into the indie scene.

Yoongi scratched his head again, reverting to his shy self. “Uh… Maybe not here,” he said, glancing a little at the cute little restaurant. It really wasn’t a place for rap, and Jimin could understand it.

“Haha… maybe you could show me sometime?” It would even give Jimin an excuse to spend time with Yoongi outside of work.

Yoongi nodded a little, smiling again. “Sure.”

Right around that time, Jin came breezing in through the front, armed with a giant load of supplies. “Ya, Jimin, what are you lazing around again for? It’s almost 5. Jungkook! Is the kitchen ready? And… Oh, hello.” Jin seemed a little surprised by Yoongi’s presence. “Are you Jimin’s friend?”

Yoongi stood quickly and bowed politely, but the nervous swallow didn’t go unnoticed by Jimin. “Ah – hello, I’m Min Yoongi. I saw that you were looking to hire someone…?”

“Oh, I see.” Jin gave a small smile as he set the supplies down on a nearby table. “Hmm… Do you have a resume?”

Yoongi’s face fell, as he said rather ashamedly, “No… I don’t really have much work experience.”

Jin nodded, his face stern. “Hmm. What school do you go to?”

Yoongi’s expression became darker. “I don’t go to school. I’m 20.”

“Oh really?” Jin seemed surprised, looking at Yoongi again. “Hmm. I’d assumed you were younger.”

Jimin chuckled quietly to one side at the dark look on Yoongi’s face. It seemed that his age was a rather touchy subject for him.

Jin frowned a bit though, sighing a little. “It is true that I need another worker, but if you’ve got no experience and no resume, it’s a little… risky hiring you, no?”

Jimin’s eyes widened. “But hyung, but you hired Jungkook and me without experience either…”

Jin glanced over, frowning again. “But you two are younger, it’s expected that you have no experience... he’s already 20 and has no resume…”

Yoongi winced, glancing aside. “I understand,” he said quietly, sounding defeated. “I’ll go somewhere else. Thank you,” he murmured to Jimin, bowing again to both of them before turning to go.

His shoulders were drooped dejectedly, and Jimin fought the urge to scream at Jin. “Can’t you just give him a chance?” he pleaded with his boss. “I mean, we are short on people. It won’t hurt to just have him try out for a day, right? Besides, if he’s not in school, he can help during the day, when Jungkook is usually at his training, right?”

Jin sighed a little, staring at Yoongi’s back. “Fine,” he muttered. They really were short-handed, since Jungkook was only a part-time worker and Jimin was the only other one that was there regularly. “…Yoongi, was it?”

And Yoongi turned around, hope lighting up his features. “Yes?” He half-whispered, as though unable to believe it.

Jin sighed again, staring at him for a little longer. “Let’s give it a shot. Jimin, since you spoke up for him, you’re in charge of showing him the ropes. Get Jungkook to help you too. We probably need him as a waiter mostly, but if he can cook or make drinks that would help too.”

“Oh, I can make drinks,” Yoongi spoke up, still a little nervous. Jin looked at him again, and Yoongi gulped a bit. “Well, I mean… I can show you, I understand if you don’t want me making stuff for customers just yet…”

“Mmm. Maybe another time. For tonight, you’re on waiter duty.” Jin glanced back at Jimin. “I might need your help in the kitchen later tonight, so try to finish up everything else early.”

Jimin nodded in excitement. “Ok!” he replied, grinning. He couldn’t wait to work with Yoongi.

***

Within an hour, Yoongi had been shown the ropes, and was already settling comfortably into his job as a waiter. He had a lovely, gentle smile, and a smooth voice that seemed to make the customers comfortable around him. He was natural in making small talk, and many of the customers left him large tips for the great service.

Jin seemed surprised when Jimin told him the success that Yoongi was having as a waiter, but there was a slight smile at the same time. Good waiters were vital to the business, so maybe Yoongi would be a good addition to the team.

As Yoongi brought another order to the kitchen window, he glanced at Jimin, who was now helping Jin in the kitchen. “I’ve got a customer asking for a latte…”

Jimin glanced down, grimacing a little. “I’m a little busy…” He looked over at Jin. “Can Yoongi-hyung try to make it?”

Jin seemed a little flustered by the amount of orders. He often became stressed during peak hours, which was why Jimin was needed in the kitchen. “Uh… Ok, fine, go make the latte. But make two, and let me taste it first.”

“Understood,” Yoongi said quietly. A few minutes later, there was a steaming cup of coffee sitting on the kitchen window, and Jin grabbed it and raised an eyebrow at the pretty leaf pattern drawn expertly with milk. Taking a sip, he blinked in surprise.

“This is good. Better than yours, Jimin.” He glanced at the boy in question, who scowled.

“Not my fault you never took the time to train me properly,” he muttered, and Jin laughed a little in response.

“No but really… this is good. And pretty too,” Jin nodded at the cup, impressed. “At least one drink passes… I’ll reserve judgement until I taste another few.”

He leaned out the window and called out, “Your latte passes!”

“Thank you!” was the barely-audible reply, since Yoongi was halfway across the café and unwilling to yell with the customers around. Jin nodded approvingly again.

“He’s good,” he said, raising an eyebrow at Jimin. “You found a good one this time.”

Jimin just smiled, beyond happy that Yoongi had gotten on Jin’s good side.

From the looks of things, he was definitely getting a new coworker soon.

***

By the end of the night, the customers had been thoroughly charmed by Yoongi, and through them Jin was convinced that Yoongi would be a good worker. The beautiful, well-made drinks that Yoongi produced didn’t hurt his case either.

Jin was still a little curious as to why Yoongi wasn’t pursuing a degree in university, but to be perfectly honest, it wasn’t any of his business. He understood that sometimes there were extenuating circumstances that might cause someone to drop out of school – the way Jimin did.

Jimin was just curious, very curious about the other boy. He seemed so comfortable around the customers, but he had been so shy when talking to Jimin earlier. But while he smiled sweetly at the aunties that came in and cooed over him, he also claimed to be an indie rapper, an image definitely not associated with kind smiles and gentle words.

In addition, he made a damn good cappuccino, and Jimin was quite partial to that particular drink but had never gotten the hang of making it quite right.

There was just so much to Yoongi, and it felt like Jimin could never learn enough about the other. A slow smile spread across his lips as he headed home for the night.

He couldn’t wait to get closer with Yoongi in the future.