Chapter 1

Red Cap

Chapter 1

red-riding-hood-actresses-amanda-seyfrie

"Open up the door grandmother, I am Little Red-Cap" - Little Red Riding Hood

Yuri glanced across the room, her face set in a cold mask of indifference.  In the background she could hear “mother” Tiffany yet again congratulating her on getting the highest marks in her grade on all subjects. Yuri ignored her and instead fixed her gaze onto a picture of the other hate in her life, "aunt” Jessica. Those two were the main reason for why she hated living at the small, insignificant orphanage at the edge of the town, Foresthill.

A slightly irritating tapping prevented her from lingering in the haze of hate. Annoyed, she peered through the window only to see a dozen bobbing faces of volunteer workers milling around the office like hyenas would crowd over a carcass. There was no predatory glance or gleam in their eyes though; only pure fear. The cold mask broke and was replaced by a look of malevolent triumph as malicious grin flashed across her face. She swiftly hid it behind an expression of innocence and turned back to the see the now ashen-faced Tiffany who had also spotted the mob of people.  Yuri was quickly ushered outside with some money and a note shoved in her hand. She walked a few paces, turned back to see no one in the hallway, and continued on.

Oblivious to her surroundings, she didn’t see what or rather who she crashed into. It was too late. She lifted her head from the ground to see Sunny smiling at her.

‘Yuri, where have you been?' she asked, 'I've been looking everywhere for you.'

Then, catching sight of the money in Yuri’s hand, her eyes widened. She grinned.

‘I’m so jealous of you right now. Girl, I can’t believe you always win first place. Think of the privileges you’ll get and how much money you’ll have once you're out of here,’ she spoke and then sighed, ‘maybe when you become rich and famous, you’ll still remember me?’

Yuri couldn’t care less about privileges, money or fame. All she ever wanted was revenge and to get the hell out of this place. Although, she thought, it may not be a bad idea to have some money saved up when I have a new life.

She pasted on a fake smile.

‘I’d never be rich and famous without you. We’re meant to stick together.What would I ever be without you?’ she replied.

‘That is why everyone likes you and why I’m your bestie,’ Sunny declared, dragging her into the cafeteria.

Instantly, Yuri was assaulted with the scent of chaos that seemed to wrap itself across the room. She could almost feel it in the air. Taking a good sniff, she tried to commit the scent to memory and imagine the cold warmth enveloping her before she was dragged out of her daze. Sunny led her to the centre of the room where students and workers parted to let her move through the sea of bodies. Even here she could feel the weight of admiring and respectful glances they were giving her.

She sat down hurriedly and read the note.

Go to Aunt Jessicas house for an errand, 1p.m.

A  smile of victory spread across her lips before it disappeared into her signature fake smile. Yes, it was time, she thought as she flashed the strip of paper at a boy sitting a few metres away from her. She saw as he glanced up, the same smile across his face. It was quickly smothered.

Yuri turned to Sunny and saw she and a couple of students were huddled together, whispering.  She leaned in closer. Apparently realising she was trying to figure out what they were saying, Sunny told her that another body of a volunteer worker had been found, totalling to the sixth victim. Sunny continued on, telling her about the widespread panic amongst the workers and nuns and that many of them had already left. By this point Yuri wasn’t even listening, she was thinking about the first sacrifice. She remembered the first "victim", Sister Sooyoung. She remembered her pleading for her life when she saw the knife. Personally, Yuri loved it when her victims begged or cried. Once in a while, she would even fake dropping her guard and give them a false sense of hope, an opportunity to outrun her. Then, the thrilling game of cat and mouse would come into play. It didn't matter how fast or strong her prey was, there would always be the same result, their death. She recalled the look of pure terror in the sister's eyes before the kitchen knife slashed through . The blood spray was so beautiful and vibrant, a work of art. Her masterpiece. The adrenaline rush it gave her was absolutely amazing.

Before she had even realised, it was time to leave. She smothered a tremble of excitement and pretended to walk as normally as possible. Out of sight from other orphans, she began to sprint into the forest. Normally, she would have noticed the air, the trees and the wildlife but she was too preoccupied. All she could see was a myriad of greens, oranges, pinks and other colours of the rainbow which flew past her. Yuri stopped at front of the mansion.

Hearing footsteps, she swivelled around only to realise the boy was already there with the knife and basket of food. She opened to speak to the boy, her brother.

‘C’mon Mr Cho, are you ready? Don’t chicken out on me at the last minute.’ she .

The only response she got was a quick jerk of his head and she turned to find the door opening.

‘Who is it?’ aunt Jessica called out.

Before Yuri could even answer, "Cho" Kyuhyun was already there holding a knife to the woman's throat. Jessica stared at Yuri, petrified.

Yuri smiled sweetly. ‘If you scream I’ll kill you, got that?’ she threatened.

A terrified Jessica could only bob her head as though she was a bobble head on the windowsill of a car.

Kyuhyun dragged Jessica into the closet, bound her limbs, then duct-taped her. Laughing hysterically, Yuri slid into Jessica’s clothes and placed on a wig. Part one of their plan was complete, now all they had to do was wait for Tiffany.

Soon, a knock was heard. Yuri motioned for Kyuhyun to hide as she opened the door. To her disappointment, it was only a hunter. He was there to discuss something with her, something about wolves. Annoyed, Yuri ushered him in. Oh well, she thought, two or three dead people, it doesnt matter to me. He stared at her, confused. He was examining her face.

‘But madam, what young eyes you have, what good skin you have and what brilliant teeth you have!’ he exclaimed.

A sound of rustling was heard in the closet. His eyes flickered to her then to the closet. Eyes widening with understanding, he reached into his pocket. A hidden Kyuhyun launched himself at him. The pair was rolling on the ground, both trying to reach the fallen rifle. Yuri hurriedly grabbed the hidden kitchen knife only to hear a shot being fired. She saw Kyuhyun as he fell on the ground.

Another shot fired and she felt the bullet pierce through her ribcage. Yuri could feel herself slipping away. Blinded with rage, she hurled the knife at the hunter. It struck his neck. Watching the decapitated head fly into some forgotten crevice, she crawled beside a dead Kyuhyun where she had her last breath.