CH3

η κόρη του χρόνου
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following morning Jessica awoke to the scent of something burning. She sat up abruptly in the large bed and gazed around the room with sleepy eyes, half wondering where she was and how she got there. A voice came from down the hallway, muttered cursing followed by the sound of pans clashing and water running, and the events of the previous day came flooding back into the goddess' mind. A smile crossed her face and she fell back into the bed, cuddling up to the pillow as she decided that she was in a safe place and could sleep in if she wanted.

Of course her reverie was interrupted only moments later; Amber popped her head into the room, covering her eyes with one hand as she asked, "Are you awake? Decent?"

Jessica bit back the sarcastic retort that was ready to slip out, and instead pulled herself back into a sitting position. "I was decent last night, so why wouldn't I be today?"

Amber slowly removed her hand as if unsure whether to believe Jessica or not, then sighed an obvious sound of relief when she saw the petite girl sitting there in her pajamas. "Well... you could be an early riser or a sleep walker or something for all I know," she huffed in slight irritation, to which Jessica hid her smile to. "Anyway, if you want to eat something other than pop-tarts, get your out of bed and take me to breakfast somewhere. I'm hungry."

A frown replaced the tiny smile on the goddess' face, though, and she shook her head in disagreement. The events of last night made her positive that she ought to avoid leaving the house if she didn't want Yuri and Siwon to catch her. "Um... don't you have cereal or something?" She asked instead, and Amber quirked an eyebrow at her timid question.

"No, I don't eat cereal... pop tarts are your only option if we stay here."

Jessica sighed and yanked the covers off of her, noting that they had been twisted all around her legs from tossing and turning in the night. She hadn't realized she'd slept so badly. Standing up, she moved to the stack of bags in the corner and began to rifle through them for some clothing. "We should buy some groceries, then. May I use your shower, then?"

"Yeah, sure, no need to ask. But do please be quick, I am starved and I have to go to work in a few hours."

Jessica rolled her eyes, it wasn't like a shower was going to take that long. She pulled out a suitable summer dress and brushed past Amber, unintentionally taking in the scent of the other girl's sporty perfume as she went. "You smell nice," she said as she closed the bathroom door, missing the blush that spread over Amber's face.

Amber tried to keep herself busy while she waited for Jessica to ready herself, but it wasn't her fault that she had been up for a few hours already while the delicate girl slept. She herself hadn't slept well, as usual, and being in the living room only made her insomnia worse, so she had risen at the ridiculously early hour of four in the morning. She had spent the time cleaning the dishes from the previous night, straightening the living room, showering, getting herself ready for the day, and doing her homework for her university classes. She had even had time to stare (a little.. or a lot) at Jessica as she slept! If only they could just go already... she was starving.

The bathroom door opened and Jessica (finally) came sauntering out, dressed in a terribly short black and white dress. Amber's eyebrows raised and she couldn't help herself from asking, "You're going grocery shopping in that?"

Jessica's step faltered and she looked down at herself for a moment before raising her head again to meet Amber's eyes. "Why, what's wrong with this? It's comfortable!"

"... Okay..." 

Amber tried not to stare at Jessica's legs as she buckled on her sandals, but seriously, the girl shouldn't wear such short things if she didn't want to be ogled. 

The drive to the grocery store was terrible, especially since Amber would much rather be stopping at one of the diners that practically littered the side of the road. When they finally arrived, Amber had thought that Jessica would take charge and be a total boss as to what to buy, but as the entered she saw the petite girl quail a bit at the sight of how packed the store was.

"Hey, are you okay?" Amber asked, and when Jessica's eyes met her own, she could see the apprehension in the golden orbs. She wondered once again what this strange girl was running from; everything about her seemed to be at odds with what Amber would expect.

"I... yeah, I'm fine." She said quietly, moving closer to Amber's side as a large family brushed past the two girls. She simply followed the tomboy around the store, occasionally p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter