Nostalgia

Nostalgia

 

 


You hated the crowd. But this was an exception.

The only exception, actually.

Your voice was hoarse from all the screaming, bruises all over your body signified the uncountable number of limbs that had crashed into yours for a long span of time, but you didn’t care. No, it didn’t matter.

“Kai! Kai!”

The boy turned towards the flashing lights, his eyes tired from all the sleepless nights. He suffered all the painful amounts of coffee and vitamins, knowing it were beyond normal usage—he was abusing it. His muscles ached—weary, but he had to ignore it. He was there now, living his dream, it was satisfying enough to see the wide view of his supporters waving their arms for him and screaming his name.

Tears continued down your cheeks and poured down your neck. There he was—several meters away from you. All your life you had hoped to see him, and now you finally did. You could never be fooled by those shining teeth—you felt like you had known him all your life, and you knew that smile didn’t signify energy—he was tired.

And you cannot be noticed.

“____, ____…”

You bolted awake, hands the sheets drenched in your sweat, silent tears flowing down your cheeks. It was dark, nighttime.

What was happening? You were at the concert, yelling your idol’s name, waiting for the love of your life to notice you. Was it a dream? More tears poured down your cheeks in frustration. Why? Why did it have to be a dream?

“Why the hell did I had to wake u—“

“____?”

A strong pair of arms you had failed to notice tightened around your waist. It made you confused. A lover? But you were just a student, a heartbroken fangirl—

“Are you alright?”

You didn’t want to look at the man’s face. You forgot how you arrived at that place—all you remembered was witnessing the concert. What happened?

The room was musky, remnants of coffee and air freshener dominating the air. Curtains were closed, a small nightlight emanating from the corner of the room and it frightened you. It frightened you because the room was familiar. Cringing, you turned your head to the person beside you. You could not see his whole face, but you saw more than enough to know that he was not wearing anything to cover his torso. His lips were plump and full, hair dishevelled, eyes weary. You gasped. It was—

“Kai?” You jumped out of the bed, shocked.

You were in bed with Kai of Exo. How? Why? When?

Kai eyed you, confused, before sitting up, completely ignoring the fact that he was wearing nothing but boxers, “____, what are you talking about?”

“You!” You exclaimed, “Why am I here? H—how? I was watching the concert and suddenly—“

“Babe,” Kai smiled, “There’s no concert.”

“What?”

“We’ve been asleep for like seven hours already. Lazy Saturday, remember?”

You furrowed your eyebrows, “Then…who are you?”

“Kim Jongin.”

“Of Exo?”

“No,” he shook his head, “Just Kim Jongin.”

“You’re real?” You cannot believe it.

“Yes,” Jongin smiled, and pulled you into a hug, breathing on your hair, “I love you.”

You melted into the hug and suddenly, you remembered everything. You cried. In relief, in shock, in gratitude. There was no Exo, there never was. There was no Kai and no world between the two of you. There was Jongin and he was your boyfriend. You were never a fangirl—all the life you thought you had had been a terrible seven-hour dream. The man you had been chasing all your life had been the one by your side all along.

“Do you remember?” Jongin asked you, as you both lay in bed once more.

“Remember what?”

Jongin reached for your left hand and raised it, revealing a beautiful ring on your ring finger. “I asked you to marry me.”

“And I said yes,” you smiled, remembering now. “You know what, in my dreams, you never noticed me. But I still loved you, Jongin. I was faithful to you.”

Jongin smiled and reached to peck on your lips, “But you’re in this life, and here, I love you and I will stay with you forever because you are the reason I’m alive.”