All that's Needed

All that's Needed

It all starts with an early morning visit and a proposal from a person he barely knows anything about. But it doesn’t stop him from agreeing. Does it really matter if you know the person’s entire life or only their name? Joonmyun doesn’t think so. So he smiles and nods, throwing in a “Sure, why not?” as if he knows what he’s doing.

He doesn’t bother packing much. Grabs a few of his thin shirts, one pair of extra pants; takes some underwear and a hoody, things that don’t take much space. He shoves everything into a small black backpack, not made for travelling, and grabs his wallet and his keys; the only things he will actually need. He grabs his sunglasses on his way out, too.

Joonmyun meets Yixing outside of his house and smiles at him while twirling the keys around his forefinger. Yixing only grins and walks to the passenger seat of Joonmyun’s sleek red Ferrari with a retractable roof. The taller compliments the car and Joonmyun feels happy that he decided to get it and not the black sedan everyone told him to.

They take off before it’s even ten and Joonmyun is glad that he’s a morning person. He’s not sure how this trip to nowhere with Yixing is going to positively affect his life but he doesn’t think about it too much.

It’s barely an hour into the ride when Yixing complains that it’s too hot inside of the car and begs for Joonmyun to lower the roof. Which he does and smiles when the wind ruffles his hair. Yixing, too, smiles and sticks one of his arms into the air.

“It’s almost like I can touch the wind” He says with a wishful smile as he spreads his fingers, feeling the currents of wind slip in between them.

Joonmyun doesn’t say anything in return. He only lowers his sunglasses over his eyes because they’re going south and the sun is slowly starting to make it hard to see. Yixing doesn’t need to do the same, he had his sunglasses on since the moment he came up to Joonmyun’s door.

Eventually both of them start feeling hunger, not having eaten anything in the morning, and Joonmyun pulls up to a random diner that seems more like a bar than anything else. He leaves his sunglasses inside of the car but Yixing doesn’t. Joonmyun doesn’t question and they enter the diner. It’s almost empty, save for the waitress and the man behind the counter as well as a lone figure drinking and smoking in a corner.

They order the first thing that sounds appealing and sit down at a small table just for two. Joonmyun takes a bite of his food and scrunches his face up, not used to such quality. But he isn’t about to nit-pick and eats the food regardless of the lack of taste.

He looks up at Yixing and decides that it’s the best time to try and talk with him. There’s no road Joonmyun has to keep his concentration on.

“Why did you come to me?” Is the first thing he asks and Yixing seems a little startled by the sudden sound.

“Because we barely know each other” He answers while pushing the leftover food around in the plate.

“But that doesn’t make any sense” Joonmyun mutters after he stops chewing and takes a sip of the, equally as tasteless, coffee.

“It does” Yixing says. “It makes a lot of sense” He continues and looks out the dirty window at Joonmyun’s car that looks so out of place there. “There’s no pressure. You don’t know me and I don’t know you. There’s no need to worry about each other because in the end, we’re nobody to one another”

Joonmyun hums and takes another sip of the liquid, more out of habit than actual want. “But that can change easily” He adds and the corner of his mouth quirks up at Yixing’s pout.

“I’m not planning on anything changing” He says but doesn’t look back at Joonmyun. He patiently waits until he is finished with the coffee. But Joonmyun wants to talk more.

“Why do you-“ He begins but Yixing quickly cuts him off with a glare that doesn’t look threatening at all.

“Do you always question everything? Not everything has answers” He says and stands up to leave. Not before politely thanking the waitress and saying a soft goodbye. It all makes Joonmyun laugh and he has to cover his mouth.

He buys a few bottles of water and some random snacks on his way back to the car, so that they wouldn’t need to stop every time one of them felt a little bit hungry or thirsty. He joins Yixing in the car, drops the things he bought carelessly to the back and starts the engine before driving off into the empty road.

It’s almost midnight by the time they reach a small town and Joonmyun is more than tired. His back aches and he doubts that he still has an . Yixing groans and moves around in his seat, obviously having the same problem.

It doesn’t surprise them when they don’t find a place they could stay at and Joonmyun tiredly offers to just sleep in the car. He pulls the roof back up and parks his car at the dirt roadside before turning the engine off and starting to lean his seat back.

“Are you serious?” Yixing asks, and he seems a little annoyed but Joonmyun only grins with a shrug.

“What else did you expect?” He answers the question with another question and almost lets his laugh slip when Yixing huffs.

“But why can’t we-“

“Yah, don’t question things. You said that not everything has answers” Joonmyun cuts him off and this time actually laughs when Yixing releases a mix between a groan and a whine. He does, however, settle down some time later.

It’s really silent in the car and Joonmyun can feel the tiredness all throughout his body. Who knew that driving was such a hassle. He is almost asleep when he feels a hand flopping onto his chest.

“You asleep?” Yixing asks and Joonmyun almost wants to throw him out of the car.

“Well I don’t know, am I?” He says instead and Yixing snorts.

“Lower the roof” He says and Joonmyun opens his eyes groggily before looking to the side at the other with a raised eyebrow.

“What” He says in an oh-so intelligent way that has Yixing sighing heavily.

“Lower the roof. I want to see the stars” Yixing says with a whine in his voice that would sound cute if Joonmyun wasn’t as tired as he was.

“Go sleep outside” He says and closes his eyes, sighing tiredly. His head is still tilted towards Yixing and he can quite literally feel the other looking at him. Yixing doesn’t say anything else and Joonmyun eventually falls asleep, with the weight of Yixing’s hand still on his chest.

When Joonmyun wakes up, the sun is already high in the sky and it burns mercilessly at his sensitive eyes. He takes a few minutes to wonder when did he fell asleep under an open sky and it only takes him seconds to realise that he is still in the car.

Joonmyun quickly sits up and looks around but doesn’t see Yixing anywhere. That is, until he feels a hand on his shoulder and yelps when Yixing says something entirely too close and too loud for his still sleepy mind.

“Woah, no need to piss your pants. It’s just me” Yixing says with a -eating grin as he folds his elbows on top of the car door and Joonmyun glares at him with as much anger as he can muster up at the given moment.

“When the hell did you do this” He says and gestures at the open sky above him before thinking better of it. “Never mind, I don’t really care. Should we get a move on?” He asks instead and puts his seat back into the original position.

“Don’t you want to stretch first? Walk around a little” Yixing offers standing back straight again and moving away from the door. Joonmyun agrees before getting out of the car. It feels weird to be on his feet again after sleeping in a rather uncomfortable position. He looks over at Yixing who has his head thrown back, seemingly soaking up the warm rays of sun.

Usually, Joonmyun would make a comment. But as he looks at Yixing, he seems as if he’s something unearthly. It’s like Yixing has the entire world under his feet but he’s slowly floating away. And Joonmyun doesn’t know what to think of that. So he doesn’t. He walks around a little, crouches down a few times, stretches his arms. He walks to the big bushes and takes a piss because looking for a bathroom seems to be too bothersome. And they get back in the car to continue going nowhere.

They day rolls similarly like the last one. They don’t speak much but Joonmyun sometimes looks at Yixing who still has the seat leaned back and his feet propped up at the front of the car. One of his hands is sticking out of the car, hanging loosely over the car door and the other doesn’t seem bothered by the fact that it’s dangerous.

They stop to eat the moment they see another lone diner at the side of the road. The food is almost as bad as the last time but neither of them complains. Joonmyun has so many questions but doesn’t know where to start, doesn’t know if Yixing will answer. So he simply doesn’t ask. He tiptoes around the other male as if he is a dangerous trap that has a puzzle attached. A puzzle that Joonmyun can’t solve.

He buys more snacks and more water, as well as a few cans of soda, and joins Yixing in the car again. There’s no conversation between them and Joonmyun doesn’t mind it. But then he remembers what Yixing told him and frowns. Because he doesn’t want to feel as if he’s driving off with a complete stranger. He cares about the other already. It’s only natural.

Despite his thoughts, Joonmyun doesn’t initiate anything. Because he knows what the other will do it himself eventually. There’s only so long a person can go without a real conversation.

They stop at another roadside when Joonmyun feels too tired to drive and this time Yixing doesn’t complain. And he doesn’t ask for him to pull the roof down. When Joonmyun wakes up, he’s alone in the car again and the roof is down, revealing the pretty blue sky with barely there clouds.

He gets out of the car on his own accord and finds Yixing sprawled out on the hood of the car.

“What are you doing?” He asks and smirks when he sees the other flinching.

“Enjoying the view” Yixing answers quietly but Joonmyun hears it loud and clear. There’s nothing around; no cars, no towns, not even trees. For a moment Joonmyun wonders where they are but discards the thought.

“Come on, let’s go.” He says and motions for Yixing to get up off the hood before sitting back in the car. Yixing doesn’t move and Joonmyun sighs before turning the engine on. “I’ll start driving like this!” He shouts and hears Yixing laughing.

“You wouldn’t!” Yixing shouts back over the rumble of Joonmyun’s car.

“Oh really” He mutters under his breath and barely steps on the gas pedal, making the car lurch forward. It’s not much but it does the deed of startling Yixing, who quickly gets off and gets back to the passenger seat.

“You’re evil” Yixing huffs and crosses his arms over his chest but he’s not angry at all, Joonmyun notices when he looks at him with a grin.

They drive for a few more hours before Joonmyun’s car makes a beeping noise, signalling that the gas tank is almost empty. Luck, however, is not on their side and they do not reach a gas station on time. Which makes Joonmyun pull up at the side and let out a frustrated sigh. He pulls out his phone from the glove trunk and turns it on.

He almost half expects there to not be any connection but he’s proven wrong when his phone loads. He makes a few calls and eventually gets someone to come and tow them to the closest gas station. But the person on the other side of the phone says that it will take them at least three hours to find them. There’s nothing Joonmyun can do about it and he only thanks them.

He throws the phone onto the dashboard and turns to Yixing who is looking at him curiously. But Joonmyun doesn’t really have anything to say and so he shrugs before grabbing a few packs of chips as well as two cans of soda and gets out of the car.

“Come on” He says and sits down on the hood of the car, waiting for Yixing to join him.

“What are you doing?” Yixing asks as he settles himself next to Joonmyun.

“I don’t know” He answers with a shrug and rips one of the chip packs open. He takes some out and offers it to Yixing, who does the same thing.

They sit around for some time, eating and drinking and watching the sun slowly setting. Neither knows what time it is but neither wants to check it. They just sit around idly in mostly silence.

“Hey, do you want to drive after I fill up the tank?” Joonmyun asks Yixing while crumpling the small bags up and letting them go. He follows how they fly away to the side with his eyes.

“Can I?” Yixing asks with excitement in his voice, looking expectant.

“I don’t see why not. I’m a little bored of constantly driving” Joonmyun admits and smiles at Yixing who nods in understanding.  

The sun is setting and the sky looks beautiful. The air is warm and the sunlight tingles Joonmyun’s skin in a way that makes him drowsy. He gets off the hood and walks to Yixing’s side of the car. He leans over the door and opens the glove trunk before pulling out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

He returns to his place next to Yixing and offers him one of the cigarettes. He doesn’t actually expect for Yixing to take it but he does and Joonmyun lights it up for him with no questions, following soon after.

“So why did you decide to ditch everything?” Joonmyun asks after some time and observes how Yixing blows the smoke in one long string. The greyness quickly disperses into the air.

“I needed it” Yixing answers and Joonmyun grimaces because Yixing is not answering his questions. He doesn’t push it though. “What about you? Why did you agree?” Yixing asks after taking another drag from the thin cigarette.

And it’s the first time Joonmyun actually thinks about his decision. He knits his brows in concentration and tries to understand his own motives for leaving so carelessly. There is nothing wrong, nothing he needs to run away from. He simply lives his monotonous life like any other person. And that is when he understands. “I needed it” He answers and smiles at Yixing before putting the cigarette stick to his lips.

They spend whatever time it takes for the towing man to find them on the hood of the car. Yixing sometimes initiates small talk and Joonmyun feels happy. Because he doesn’t need to pull answers out of Yixing when he knows all of them himself. They somehow end up lying on the hood side by side, pushing each other playfully and pointing out clouds that make interesting shapes. Joonmyun learns that the harder you concentrate on a cloud, the more shapes you can see.

Eventually, a towing truck pulls up next to Joonmyun’s somewhat dusty Ferrari and both Yixing and Joonmyun let out a sigh of relief. Joonmyun pays the man once he gets them to the gas station generously and goes off to fill the tank up. When he’s done, he walks to Yixing’s side and leans on the door, dangling the keys in front of his face.

“I didn’t forget what I said. Wanna drive?” He asks and laughs when Yixing nods vigorously. He opens the door and lets Yixing get out of his seat before giving him the keys and getting into the car.

Yixing looks excited to drive and it makes Joonmyun’s chest flutter. He likes it when Yixing is happy.

He learns that Yixing likes speed. And as he speeds down the empty roads Joonmyun wonders if it was a good idea to let the other behind the wheel. But he’s happy, he’s smiling and he’s laughing. Joonmyun can’t help but laugh along.

Joonmyun eventually falls asleep while Yixing is still driving and only blearily sees when Yixing pulls up to rest. He promptly falls back asleep before the engine is even off.

When he wakes up, he’s alone in the car again but this time, the roof is still in its place. He gets out of the car and scrunches his face up when cold wind hits his skin. It seems that the weather changed and Joonmyun quickly gets back into the car to find his bag. He puts on the hoody he took and gets back out, inhaling the fresh air. The sky is dark and it will probably rain soon, he notes dryly.

“Honestly, you could sleep through an earthquake!” Yixing exclaims suddenly, appearing next to him as if he could teleport. Joonmyun’s breath hitches and he inhales deeply.

“You have to stop doing that” He says and turns to Yixing, who seems confused. But Joonmyun doesn’t indulge more on the subject. “I’m hungry, we should probably start moving” He says and quirks an eyebrow when Yixing shoves the keys into his hand.

“It was fun but I think I prefer you driving” He says and gets inside the car. Joonmyun only blinks a couple of times before walking to the other side of the car. He stretches on his way and looks up at the sky. He hopes it won’t rain too hard.

When they start moving again it takes hours until they reach a bar of sorts. It doesn’t look visually appealing but as long as it gives them something to fill their stomachs with, neither complains. They’re both surprised at the sudden explosion of flavours in their food and agree that that was by far the best they ate in the span of four days.

It’s pouring rain by the time they finish eating and both of them have to run to the car. They get drenched and Joonmyun laughs at the squeaking noises the leather makes when they sit down.

The rain doesn’t let up for a few hours but eventually turns to light drizzling. That’s when Yixing surprises Joonmyun.

“Let the roof down” He says and Joonmyun glances at him as if he is crazy.

“No way”

“Why not?”

“Are you seriously asking this?”

“We’re in the middle of nowhere, who gives a damn!” Yixing exclaims and pushes the button to lower it down himself. Joonmyun has half a mind to stop him but for some reason, he doesn’t.

He does frown, however. He has a sort of attachment to his car and he knows that letting the rain in is a pretty stupid thing to do. But then, they’re going until the car will stop on its own so he guesses it’s okay. Not to mention that Yixing extends his arms to the sky and revels in the feeling of water droplets hitting his skin; and Joonmyun can’t stay worried because, damn, they are in the middle of nowhere.

And neither knows where it ends. Because it goes on until the car can’t take it and Joonmyun didn’t pay a load of money for a piece of metal crap that would breakdown after more than an hour of driving. They go where the road leads them, taking random turns if they feel like it. They switch who drives, they stop to eat and buy junk food to have something to chew on. And they continue going, until the car will stop and they will be forced to call for help, all the while sitting on the hood of the car in mostly silence, smoking cigarettes and giggling at the shapes that clouds make.

 


The ending is rushed I've been told

And yeah it really is

I may be thinking of writing a sequel

Maybe