Fin

Butterfly Girl

 

It was a hot summer day. Little Sehun did not know how to make the most of his day, so he decided to go out instead.

 

“Don’t forget to come back by lunch time!”

 

He bobbed his head up and down to his mother, remembering to be home by 12.

 

He decided to stroll down to the neighborhood’s public garden, where it seems as if people were making the most of their time – taking picnics, exercising, or reading the daily newspaper. Not knowing what to do (for he didn’t bring anything with him except the small watch in his pocket to keep track of time), he decided to sit down at an empty bench. It was a bit of a struggle to get his little body up, but he managed. Finally making himself comfortable, he observed his surroundings. The smiling faces seemed to be mocking him, for little Sehun was trying so hard to prevent his eyes from becoming wet.

 

“Aha! I caught you!”

 

Little Sehun turned his head, finding a girl putting her hands on his thighs. He suddenly turned irritated – strangers aren’t allowed to touch him like that. The little girl turned her head up, meeting with Sehun’s fuming eyes. She chuckled, her eyes reminding him of the crescent moon during the night.

 

“Would you like to see?”

 

His anger then dissolved, turning into curiosity. He nodded slightly, suddenly forgetting about his ‘strangers’ policy. “Okay then, on the count of three,”

 

“one,”

 

“two,”

 

“three.”

 

She slowly opened her folded hands, revealing something fluttering in it. She smiled with utmost pride, while looking at the boy in front of him.

 

“Isn’t it lovely?”

 

Little Sehun, still in a daze, continued glancing at the beauty in front of him. He nodded again, his lips curling slightly upwards. She then raises her hands up, releasing the butterfly from her grasp. He gawked at the girl, and tapped her shoulders.

 

‘Why’d you do that?’

 

“My father said that if you love something you should let it free,” she glanced at him, her eyes remaining as crescents. “That’s why I set them free, because I love them.”

 

Little Sehun tilted his head in curiosity. ‘Do you even know the meaning of love?’

 

Her eyebrows knitted together, as if thinking so hard.

 

“Well, not exactly, but I think deeply caring about something or someone, is already love.” A butterfly then passed through their heads, catching the attention of both little ones.

 

“Do you want to catch butterflies with me?” she suddenly asked.

 

“I could teach you if you want.”

 

Little Sehun couldn’t see anything better to do, so he nodded his head. Afterwards, both children carefully stalked out the butterfly, trying to grasp a little of its beauty before releasing it again.

 

Little Sehun got scolded afterwards for arriving home terribly late, but he didn’t at all mind.

 

For today, he had met his butterfly girl, who came in the name of Suzy.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

“Sehun!” she squealed.

 

They were having their much-needed winter break, after everything happening at school. Suzy had gained herself a handful of admirers (much to Sehun’s irritation), but she never considers about it too much. She knows they admire her only for her looks, which is why she doesn’t want to associate herself with them too much. Suzy had always been an idealist in terms of love, which interests Sehun, considering how realistic the girl is. But nonetheless, that was how Suzy was – never failing to amuse him.

 

He laughed lively, seeing her stunned expression. “Just wait until I get you!” They began scrambling through the snow, with occasional whines erupting from Suzy asking him to stop. Their laughter rings through the crisp winter air, her laughter sounding as melodious as the bird’s chirp in the morning to his ears. The ground below them was covered with snow - white and pure, which reminded him of Suzy’s pale skin and pure heart. The snowflakes danced gracefully in between, just as how Suzy danced for her last ballet recital performance.

 

An idea suddenly popped up in her head. Suzy rolls up a ball of snow, and a mischievous smile decorates her face. “Sehun,” she cooed. The boy turned to face her, and he felt a sudden impact thrown to his chest. Suzy guffawed, seeing him dumbfounded.

 

‘You are so going to get it, Bae Suji!’

 

She let out a shriek of delight, as the two began running in the snow again. Sehun caught up with her in just a matter of time, and caught her by her hand. ‘Hah! I caught you!’ But the snow was too slippery – he lost his balance, which caused the two to roll down in the snow. They stopped a few seconds later, both losing their breaths from laughing too hard. She was on top of him, her cheeks rosy. Her eyes shone, and the smile on her face was radiant. “Let’s do that again!” It was then Sehun had an epiphany.

 

The butterflies in his stomach only came with his butterfly girl.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

It was an autumn day, where the breeze was not too strong, but still chilly nonetheless.  The leaves were changing from fluorescent green to tamer shades of orange, yellow, red, and brown – reminding Sehun of coffee and paper bags.

 

Sehun stuffed his hands into his coat’s pockets, rocking occasionally back and forth while waiting for her arrival. They had agreed to meet there by the old oak tree, which stands proudly in the middle of the park - showing off the magnificence and glory of its old age.

 

He checked the small watch in his pocket (which he carried when he first met Suzy), and shook his head. Suzy had always had punctuality issues, of which he has grown accustomed to, although it could be irritating at times. He waits for a few minutes, before the sound of crunched leaves came greeting him. His lips automatically curved to a grin, instantly familiar with the rush of her steps.

 

“Sorry I’m late!”

 

She was panting – her hair was flying everywhere, and sweat dripped from her forehead, despite the relatively cold weather. He pouted, and shook his head disapprovingly, pretending to be mad.

 

‘You took so long, I was about to leave.’

 

“Sorry! Sorry! I even ran all the way here!” She puffed her cheeks, wiping her sweat. He shook his head, and wiped her sweat with his handkerchief.

 

‘Who sweats in autumn? You are one strange case, you know.’

 

She grinned goofily at him, her smile bright. “But that’s what makes Suzy, Suzy.” His forehead creased, as if he was thinking. ‘I guess, that’s right.’ He puts his handkerchief back in his coat’s pocket.

 

‘So what do you want to do, today?’

 

“I don’t know.” She hooked her arms to his (which secretly made Sehun blush). “Since I’m late, I’ll let you decide. For now, let’s just walk.” He nodded his head, agreeing to what she had proposed. The pair walked in silence, letting the cool breeze blow on them - sending shivers down their spine. It was refreshing, really. Suzy started humming, and he couldn’t help but close his eyes and smile. She was an autumn child, which was most probably why she loved it the most. She suddenly squealed, awakening Sehun from his short reverie.

 

She let go of his arms, and ran quickly ahead. Puzzled, he followed her afterwards. When he finally caught up with her, she was cupping her hands together, smiling proudly at him.

 

“I caught it!”

 

He shook his head, smiling in return.

 

What Suzy didn’t know was, that she had caught his heart much earlier.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

Suzy’s nose was all runny, and her eyes were red. The people passing by started looking at the girl – some pitying her, some thinking she was being too dramatic. But, she ignored their gazes and continued sobbing. ‘Stop crying, you look ugly.’ Sehun commented, trying to lighten up the mood. He glared at the nosy people glancing at Suzy, warning them to mind their own business. Moreover, he wanted her to stop - he was afraid of what he would do if she didn’t. “You’re such an ignorant jerk.” She slapped his arms, still sniffling. ‘Alright, alright, but please stop crying.’ Sehun took out his handkerchief from his jean’s pocket, and wiped her tears with it. ‘Take this, for memory’s sake.’ He gave her his hankie – the one and only in the world. “Are you sure? It’s your dad’s.” she pointed out.

 

He shook his head, insisting she took it (for she was also the one and only in the world for him). “Okay. Thank you.” She blew into the handkerchief – which was really nothing new to Sehun, but very unladylike for a female. ‘You are disgusting,’ he remarked, clucking his tongue. She snorted, and playfully punched his arms. “But you’d still love me anyway.”

 

The announcement for her flight rung once more, and her tears were threatening to spill again. “Sehun,” she said, her lips trembling. “I’m afraid I won’t be ready.” He smiled, and squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. ‘Don’t worry. You’ll be all right.’ He patted her head as he usually did whenever she was worried. ‘Because that’s what makes Suzy, Suzy.’

 

She chuckled, and gave him a hug. “Promise we’ll still stay in contact?” He nodded – assuring the girl.

 

‘I promise. Now go and be Korea’s best dancer so that I could show off!’

 

Suzy scoffed, and gave him one last goodbye. Afterwards, she got on board the plane. Her phone was still flooding with heartfelt messages of encouragement and best wishes of luck, which warmed her heart, really. She read all the messages, and smiled to herself (although she didn’t realize she was actually yearning for the message from one special person). She was busy replying back her grateful messages that she didn’t realize an announcement to turn off their phones was made. “Miss, please turn off your mobile device as we are leaving soon.” She nodded her head, and ped her bag. A pink note fell out, and curiosity took over her.

 

I love you.”

 

In their supposedly tenth summer together, Sehun had decided to let go of his butterfly girl – because he loves her.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

‘Look, there’s a butterfly!’ she signed to him, enthusiastically. Sehun looked up to the sky, as the little girl on his lap started getting excited. He smiled, and patted her head. ‘You want to catch that butterfly?’ He gestured his hands in front of her, since both could only communicate with sight (for both their voices were locked). She nodded eagerly, and jumped out of his lap. She pulled on his hands, and they both walked outside.

 

He was now volunteering at an orphanage for the disabled – something that he had wanted to do for a long time. He was a college man now, but that doesn’t stop him from doing his duties. It has been years now since Suzy has gone, but the hope inside him hasn’t deteriorated, in fact the spark in him has continuously increased over the years of waiting.

 

“Aha! I caught it!”

 

Sehun’s ears perked, hearing the familiar catchphrase. He raised his head, unbelieving to his own eyes. The girl approached them carefully, and squatted down in front of the small girl.

 

“Do you want to see it?”

 

The younger nodded profusely, eager to see the beauty in her hands. “Alright then, in the count of three,”

 

“one,”

 

“two,”

 

“three.”

 

She opened her hands slowly, revealing the butterfly in her hands. ‘It’s pretty,’ the little one tries to say, in a language understandable for her. She laughs, patting the girl’s head with her free hand. “It’s alright, I understand sign language.” Her smile widens, and she stares at awe at the beautiful creature in front of her.

 

‘Can I touch it?’

 

She nodded.

 

“Touch it slightly, it will shiver.”

 

She did as she was told, and the butterfly’s wings shook a little, making her clap in glee. ‘That’s so cute!’

 

The older one smiles at her, before letting go of the butterfly, which left the girl confused. “Did you know why I let it go?”

 

She shook her head no, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

 

“My father once told me that if you love something, you should let it go.”

 

Afterwards, she turned her head to him, her eyes turning to the crescents that he has missed so much.

 

“But what he forgot to tell me was that if they loved each other, they would find their way back together.”

 

He smiled.

 

His butterfly girl has found her way back home.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

My greatest apologies for the (very) late update. I forgot to add the one-shot tag there, but nonetheless I hoped you enjoyed the story.

Thank you for reading and the warm comments, and I hope I didn't dissapoint.

Have a blessed day!

- sunggyussi