ex

The Unreachable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TOP's POV

I knew so well HaeRin was a little bit upset and scared because of the fans' comments and threats but she never showed it out in front of me.  Like her mother said, she just quietly absorbed everything like a sponge and worried about me instead.  I once saw her weeped in the kitchen on the same day she received a threat note from a fan in her mail.  I asked her why she cried and she told me the onion stung her eyes.  And there was one time, she woke up in the middle of the night, screaming and sweating.  I knew she had a nightmare but she forced a smile to me and denied it.  That night, I hugged her close and patted her to sleep while she trembled in my arms.  My heart ached to see her suffered on my account and I was so frustrated at myself for there was little that I could do about it.  I couldn't press charges or issue another statement since it would only make things worse and might result HaeRin to suffer more.  All I could do was to stay by her side as much as possible.  I seldom drove myself but I drove her to work and picked her up after whenever I could.  Otherwise, I would ask my driver to pick her up if I was busy at work.  Suzie and I tried our best to keep her busy so that she didn't have time to drown herself in those comments.  Lucky that her parents came and HaeRin was happy to see them which did get her mind off it a bit.

I planned to take HaeRin's parents to dinner at one of the finest korean restaurants in town, as our official meeting.  I was really surprised and embarrassed to see them standing at HaeRin's door that morning.  HaeRin and I were lucky that we weren't doing anything crazy at that time and both of us were properly clothed; otherwise, I couldn't imagine how her parents would react.

We went to dinner at the restaurant as planned the next day.  HaeRin's parents were very kind to me, especially Mrs. Lee who started to treat me like a son now.  She was very caring that made HaeRin complained about it a few times.

"Mom!  Just in case you have forgotten, I am your daughter.  Not him."  HaeRin protested.

Mrs. Lee turned her head to look at HaeRin and asked, "What are you saying?"

HaeRin let out a sigh and said, "You gave him the biggest prawn, the largest piece of pork rib, the biggest bowl of soup.  Look at me and Dad."   HaeRin held up the prawn in her hand, which was about two third of mine in size.  I looked at her and chuckled.

Mrs. Lee threw her a quick glare and didn't bother to respond her.  HaeRin continued, "I'm no longer Mom's favourite daughter now.  Handsome boy does have privilege."

"I agree!  I'm no longer the favourite husband either.  Look at mine!  Even smaller than yours."  Mr. Lee held up his prawn and said.  I looked up at him embarrassingly and HaeRin laughed out loud.

Mrs. Lee threw her husband a quick glare and said to HaeRin, "Oh, you are complaining I'm being too good to your boyfriend now?  OK!  So, would you prefer me to be harsh on him then?"

HaeRin glanced at her and hesitated, "Erhhh...  Well, I guess it's kind of difficult to find any reason to be harsh on him though."  Both her parents chuckled.  "Oh...  Maybe just one thing."  HaeRin said.

All three of us looked at her at once.  I, specifically, was curious about what she would say.

"He's too over-protective and gets jealous easily, even of his own dog."  She gave me a smirk.   I looked at her with opened eyes and my jaw dropped.

Mr. Lee laughed out loud and said, "Well, unless his reactions are really over the edge.  Otherwise, a little bit of jealousy won't hurt.  I think it's kind of sweet.  I get jealous when your mother talks to other men too."

Mrs. Lee playfully slapped his hand and smiled.  HaeRin rolled her eyes, "DAD!"   Mr. Lee took his wife's hand and laughed out loud.  I laughed softly as well.

We had a great time and chatted happily during the whole meal.

*  *  *

HaeRin's parents only stayed for a week.  HaeRin really wanted them to stay longer since she hadn't spent Christmas with them for a long time.  But then, they already had plans for Christmas and needed to go back.  HaeRin was a bit upset about that but they promised to visit again soon and HaeRin could go visit them as well.

Mrs. Lee pulled me aside to talk to me the day before they left.

"SeungHyun, thank you for everything in the past week.  We really had a great time."

I smiled and said, "You are really welcome!  Do come often.  HaeRin misses you guys."

She took my hand and said, "SeungHyun?"

"Yes, Mrs. Lee."

"I can see my daughter is really happy with you and you care about her very much.  I'm really glad.  I really hope you'll keep your promise and be good to HaeRin always."

I squeezed her hand tight with both hands and said, "I will.  I'm a man of my word."

She smiled to me graciously.  She had the same smile as HaeRin.  I suddenly realized HaeRin got her beautiful eyes from her mother.  Mrs. Lee had beautiful eyes too.

*  *  *

HaeRin and I had been together for four months now.  Everything went well and our relationship was getting stronger and stronger each day.  Our life was finally back in peace as the rumors and fans' discussions died down.  My fans no longer attacked HaeRin with their agressive comments and threats.  And HaeRin finally had her sweet smiles back which again warmed my heart.

It had been a while since HaeRin and I went out together.  So, I reserved a table at IL CIPRIANI in ApGuJeong for tonight since HaeRin loved italian food.

"Baby, I haven't finished the recording yet.  Can we meet at the restaurant instead?"

"Oh, OK!  Or do you need to reschedule?"  HaeRin said.

"No.  I should be able to finish soon.  Just go and have the wine ready.  I will be there by eight."

"OK!  See ya!"

Today was definitely not my day.  First I got stuck with the rap lyrics of our new song and kept re-writing it the whole morning.  Now the recording took me the whole afternoon and I still couldn't do it right.  Even, JiYong got frustrated at me.

"Hyeonnnng, one last time pleasssssse!  I wanna go hommmme!"  JiYong leaned back on the chair and put both hands behind his head.

I put on the headphone and took a deep breath, "OK!  Let's do it again!"

It took me another four takes to finish the song.  JiYong yawned and stretched his arms, "Hyeong, I'm out of here.  So tired!  I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, thanks for today!"  I said.  While I was packing my stuff, my phone rang.  Probably was HaeRin.

MINA.

I was stunned when I saw the caller ID.  It was Shin Mina.

I hesitated but I still took the call, "Hello!"

"SeungHyun!  My SeungHyun!"  She sounded a little drunk.  At 7:30 p.m.   I didn't reply her since I didn't know what to say.

"SeungHyun, are you there?"  Mina asked.

"Yes."  I said.

"SeungHyun.  SeungHyun.  I think my heart is about to stop.  SeungHyun, can you come over?"  She started to cry.

I didn't know what to do.  My sister was out of town with my parents; otherwise, she could go take care of Mina.

"My SeungHyun, you don't care about me anymore?"  Mina said.

I let out a sigh and asked, "What happened?  Have you called your Manager?"

"I don't need her.  I just want you.  Come!  Come to me.  I'm dying here."

"I can't.  My girlfriend is waiting for me."  I said.

"Yahh...  I said come to me.  COME RIGHT NOW!"  She shouted.

I looked at my watch again and said, "Alright!  Where are you?  I'll be there in 30 minutes."

I regretted it right away when I hung up.  Why did I compromise?  How was I to be in two places within 30 minutes?  But I couldn't ignore Mina while she sounded so drunk.  I slapped myself on the face a few time hoping to clear my head.

I then called HaeRin immediately.

*  *  *

HaeRin's POV

I arrived at the restaurant around eight.   TOP called again while I was on the way to the restaurant and said he would be running a little late.  I waited and waited.  I looked around myself to find people stared at me as if I was from outer-space.  Even the waiters and waitresses g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter