Chapter 20

My Immortal
Myungsoo could feel the cool blades of grass brush against the back of his neck as the two laid on their backs, gazing up at the stars above them. It was breathtaking. A sight like this was hardly seen in the city due to all the intrusions of city lights. He inhaled the fresh air, letting the coldness caress his chest, "This is incredible. I can't believe how brightly they shine."
 
"When I was a child, I use to think that stars really were diamonds in the sky," Amber stated, quietly laughing at her foolish childhood thoughts. "But that's not the case anymore. I believe that stars are more than that. They're people's dreams. When someone is born, their star is born. When we see a shooting star, it's someone's dream coming true."
 
Myungsoo glanced over at the smiling girl who was unaware of his gaze. How was it that she was able to make him believe everything she says so effortlessly? Her words felt warm and comforting, leading him to wonder what his very own dreams might be, if he even had such a thing. "And what if someone doesn't have any dreams?" 
 
"Everyone has dreams. Although not everyone realizes theirs, when they do, that's when their star will shine the brightest." Amber smiled as she continued to look at the twinkling lights in the night sky, "They really are shining bright, aren't they? People must be realizing their dreams."
 
"Uhm" 
 
"But I'm not going to lie. There's a pretty spectacular view of the city, too," Amber immediately perked up with excitement. As soon as the girl was on her feet, she offered her hand to the boy. "Here, I'll show you." 
 
He curiously followed the girl, anxiety taunting his mind while thoughts continued to play with this unknown destination. The two wandered around a wooded area for a short period of time before reaching a vast clearing. They arrived at an extremely large oak tree, bare from the cold winter stealing away it's foliage. Myungsoo looked up at the tree that towered over them before glancing over at Amber with a questioning expression. She flashed him a grin before making her way to the foot of the tree, slowly ascending upward. He just stood and watched, waiting to see what would happen. 
 
As soon as Amber reached the first sturdy branch, she seated herself comfortably, looked down at the boy and shouted, "What are you still doing down there?"
 
"Isn't that a little high? Aren't you afraid of hurting yourself?" Myungsoo expressed his concern, narrowing his brow as he stared at the girl dangling her feet above him. 
 
"I've been doing this since I could barely talk. Don't tell me an immortal is afraid of heights!" 
 
Myungsoo rolled his eyes before taking two leaps against the trunk and seating himself beside her. 
 
Although Amber was a bit startled, she just laughed, "Jeez! You didn't have to show off." 
 
She stuck her tongue out at the boy causing him to shake his head and chuckle. After the two had found their composure, Amber nodded her head in the direction in front of them. Myungsoo turned his head in the direction that she had instructed and was met with, for lack of better words, a spectacular view of the city. 
 
"You weren't lying. I'm definitely impressed" Myungsoo mumbled as he continued to stare in awe. 
 
"Lying?! Why would you think I was lying?!" Amber's tone was snarky as she jabbed the boy in the side. 
 
He laughed and lightly pushed her back, "I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that you've already shone me so many amazing things out here, it was hard to believe there was more." 
 
"Jeez, it's nice to know you think so highly of me."
 
Her reactions contradicted her words which confused the boy. Myungsoo couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic. He saw that the girl had crossed her arms across her chest, turned her head the other way, and pouted. He leaned closer to her and poked her in her side, "Are you upset?"
 
"Of course not. I was just messing with you," Amber grinned widely to reassure the boy. But, she still wanted to to teach him a lesson for poking her. She absolutely hated being poked, even if it was all in good fun. A sly smile stretched across her face as she reached behind him and tapped on his shoulder; however, she did not expect his reaction. She found herself losing her balance and falling backwards. Instinctively, she reached for the closest thing, which in this case was the boy, and pulled him back with her.
 
Anticipation ran rampant in her mind as she shut her eyes tight and waited to come into contact with the cold hard ground. It wasn't until she heard a groan that she even dared opening her eyes. There, she found her hands resting on his chest and her body pressed on top of his. Amber's eyes met his soft gaze and she suddenly found her face burning as her heartbeat became unsteady. The two remained in this position for a few mins before his words pulled her out of her thoughts. His gaze was still soft as he knitted his brow together and his gentle voice spoke, "Are you okay?" 
 
Snapping to her sense, Amber quickly pushed herself off of him. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to! Are you injured anywhere?!" 
 
Myungsoo chuckled, "I'm still an immortal, am I not?" 
 
"Yeah, but I remember you saying that you could still feel pain," Amber couldn't help but be concerned by the sight of him slowly getting to his feet. "Are you sure you're okay?"
 
As soon as he was on his feet again, he craned his neck from side to side, then his torso, and swung his arms around a couple of time. The boy then turned his attention to the worried girl and shot her a big grin, "I'm as good as new." 
 
The two decided to head back to the mansion. There was an awkward silence between them, neither knowing what to say to break it. After a moment, Amber apologized once more, "Again, I'm sorry about falling on you."
 
"Its fine," Myungsoo replied. 
 
The inevitable silence returned yet again and the two were left with their thoughts as they continued to make their way back to the mansion. Amber couldn't stop thinking about her little mishap in the tree and somehow found herself smiling. However, she still didn't have the guts to look at Myungsoo so their walk was still an awkward one. 
 
TO BE CONTINUED