Chapter One

Once Upon A Time: Secrets In The Night

The monitors blinked in the dark room, causing the white-coated male to jerk upright and start rubbing the sleep from his eyes. What time was it? Probably late. He had done it again, even though he had promised Chanyeol he wouldn't. His work was important, but... Not as important as to risk his health, physical or mental.

Standing, he was about to leave the room when the phone rang. Scrambling toward it, he grabbed the device and pressed it to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Lu, we're going to have company tomorrow."

He blinked at the absurdity, running a hand through his hair. "Wha-?"

"We finally got one."

He set the phone down, call still live, and stared at the static screen. This is what he had worked so hard for- creating this facility, earning degree after degree to be prepared... He had begun to lose hope, thinking this idea wouldn't work.

But here it was: his salvation.

He wasn't going to let it go, either.

~ ~

"It'll only be for a little while, love." A woman's heartbroken voice whispered as he a young boy's tanned cheek. Her complexion was startling white compared to his, but it wasn't too much of a surprise, considering...

"You're leaving me." His detached voice murmured to his adoptive mother.

"Only for a little while--once you're... once you're better, we'll come and bring you home with us."

She watched him with a nervous expression, nibbling on her lip, but when she moved to give him a hug, her husband spoke up.

"Jeannine, it's time to go." He murmured, resting a hand on her shoulder, and she inhaled a calming breath. Tears streaked down her face, yet her child looked indifferent.

"We'll see you soon, love." She squeezed his hand and the two left the facility apartment, leaving their young son in the car of the two scientists still in the room.

Lu Han bent down and looked at the boy, brushing the remarkably blonde hair from the boy's face.

"We'll be here if you ever need us." He reassured before pulling the boy into a hug. It lasted for a few moments before the scientist stood and the two left, shutting the door behind themselves.

The boy stood there for a few more moments before turning his head and looking at something unseen to the eye.

"It's alright, Kris. Don't be scared. Mommy and daddy will come back."

The boy reached his hand out into empty space, but if you focused closely, intently to the point of getting a migraine, you could see a fifteen year old boy dressed in black and sitting on the floor beside him giving him a gentle, reassuring smile and holding the boy's hand, a smoky black chain connecting the two of them by the wrists.

"Time to go to bed, Kaitou." The voice on the intercom stated, and the lights went out.

 

A/N: Fail introduction is fail. I hope you guys enjoyed this installment, at least! Let me know!