The Snow Storm

The Snow Storm

 

 

Violent winds came from every direction, leading to a thick layer of cloudy snowbits surrounding everywhere. On this secluded snow mountain a heavy snow storm was brewing up, creating a mess.

 

Minseok and her was moving rather slowly and tiredly on the pathway. Both of them are outdoor activities lovers but due to the unforeseen circumstances of a snowstorm, they got lost.

 

Before this, they were just colleagues on good terms. Although along the way both felt a kind of attraction for each other, neither of them had the courage to say anything. Minseok had thought and planned for this hiking trip for awhile before mentioning to her, hoping to sound as casual as possible but yet carrying a heartful of hope. Who knows she liked the idea immediately and agreed to it.

 

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

The snow was not forgiving. With every step they move forward took every ounce of their strength. Minseok took her hands in his and held on to it tightly as they move together in the almost knee-high snow. With the harsh wind blowing onto their already wet clothes, both was chilled to the bone and lips had turn to a shade of almost pourple.

 

Nearing 3 days of being lost, her hopes was dwindling . Minseok tried to give her a feeble smile and assure that they would find a way out of this together with a light squeeze on her hands. He gave all of his food to her so that she could plan and pack to control their ration over the days.

 

As they passed by an uneven pathway, she accidentally fell into a hole and twisted her ankle. As much as Minseok wanted to help, he himself was strained of any energy and it was impossible for him to carry her and continue walking. She felt like a burden not being able to walk properly and there was no progress in their movements. After much debate, Minseok could only listen to her suggestion of him continuing the journey alone so he could find help for both of them.

 

"There are 8 packets of biscuits left. We'll split equally 4-4 each?" after which she then ask him to help her pitch a tent while she packed. Swiftly after he was done, she pass him his share of the biscuits. He took both instead and both felt like it was about the same weight.

 

"Wait for me okay? I'll be right back with help." Minseok held her freezing hands and lightly rub as he told her.

 

 

Even at this point, both did not mention nor give any verbal proclaimation of love for each other. In this situation, what's there to confess? A simple goodbye could mean forever. If, only one could survive, why let that party use a lifetime to forget the lost of a loved one?

 

MInseok help her zipped up her sleeping back and left.

 

With every step he took, he tried to make a mark on any visible landmarks. All on his mind was just to find someone, anyone that he could get help from and save her. However, as strong as his thoughts were, his body was not in any condition to continue further and he too collapse on his final strength. His last thoughts before losing consciousness were spent wondering if she had enough to eat, if she was still hanging on.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************

 

 

Minseok woke up only to find himself in a tent with strangers. Turns out that their colleagues and friends knew they went hiking together and had not been back home for days so they had a rescue team sent to search for them. The rescue team leader found her tent first, then following the marks he left, they then found him laying unconscious before he freeze out.

 

As his temperature slowly rose back to normal, his first words were, "I need to get her! Where's she? Did you all find her?" Minseok tried to stand up and struggled to leave the tent to search for the one he love.

 

"She left... probably left to collect some ice to get water but did not have enough strength and so she froze to death." the rescue team leader replied in a low voice.

 

 

*************************************************************************************************************

 

Years later, Minseok got married. The other party was someone lovable who had a liking towards outdoor activities too. After she left, this person had accompanied him through the worst of his days and slowly he regained his strength.

 

The rescue team leader then had attended his wedding. Shortly after it ended, he visited a grave. The lady on the picture was smiling brightly as she would in her living days.

 

"Rest in peace, he's married and happy now"

 

 

*******************************************************************************************************

 

 

When the rescure team leader found her, she did not freeze to death but rather died of hunger. She was lying peacefully in her sleeping bag not willing to move an inch because it was Minseok who had carefully help her zipped up.

 

Her bag only had a few small stones. In truth they only had four pieces of biscuits left then, not eight. She gave all of their remaining food to him alone. When she was found, a piece of paper was held in her already stiff hands.

 

"I won't be able to make it till the time he returns. Please do not tell him. He should have his own life."

 

 

 

She lied passed him, because, she really loved him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************

 

I also don't know why am I so emo at this hour lol~

 

XOXO