Pool Party I

Living with the dorks

After the embarrassing dinner – blame all of it to Jaebum – Soojin decided to join the guys on their movie night. This way she maybe could get to know them better and help them get used to her. She was by no means a noisy or nosy girl and maybe that was what most of them were afraid of: a prancing fairy that'd change all their towels into pinks ones and leave her overly feminine perfume scent all over the house. Ugh. No. That really wasn't anywhere near Soojin and therefore she hoped everyone of them could become great housemates and maybe even friends with the start of the new school year.

The guys chose the newest episode of American Horror Story 'Freak Show' and Jackson playfully asked her if she wants to sit next to him so he could protect her. After she declined with a quiet laugh, Youngjae scolded the boy for acting so desperate.

“Now let the girl breathe and don't jump on her every second you see her” were his words and the other boys really tried hard to stifle their laughter at Jackson's priceless reaction. He was already standing up and preparing himself to walk away with the best diva look he could muster; chin high and lips pursed.

 

 

“No please stay, Jackson. How are we supposed to endure this horrifying episode without you?” BamBam mocked him and at that everyone started to laugh once again. Even Yugyeom who seemed so down earlier had to hold his stomach. It was an amusing sight and the young girl felt sympathy for every single one of them. If they were this carefree and fun to be around all the time, she would have no troubles fitting in. Soojin was just glad that everyone seemed to have a good time and wasn't offended by her sitting here or being here in general.

“So, Soojin. You sure you can handle this show?” Jaebum asked with a smug grin on his face and somehow the girl wanted to wipe it off his face. With her fist.

- - - - -

flashback to dinner

 

Leader girl? What was that guy thinking? That she was still seven years old? Or thirteen? She wasn't a kid anymore and her stupid crushes were long gone! Not that she ever had one on that arrogant jerk. Sure, she doesn't really know him now but his whole attitude – the few words he spoke until now – already managed to present himself in a very negative light.

Every male was now staring at her, probably hearing about the crush of Soojin on Jaebum (that was never existing!) for the very first time. She was embarrassed beyond limit and almost stood up and walked back to her room but Jinyoung was faster than her and nudged the side of his best friend.

“Be nice to my cousin or I will grill you. Why would she like a lazy bum like you, hm?”

For that she could have kissed her cousin but fortunately he wasn't one to think highly of affection and therefore she simply threw him a thankful gaze. She wasn't sure why Jaebum acted this way – he was either a total Casanova and macho (an even bigger one than Jackson) or he was simply an . Somehow she thought the second option would suit him better.

Back then he was always so nice and cool – handsome and smart. It was actually the perfect type for any ten year old girl.. or older. She wondered what made him like this. Maybe it was just his usual immature way to deal with change – the change of leaving most of the gang members and the change including her living for a long time with several guys that weren't used to having a girl around everyday. At least not in that context.

 

- - - - -

 

 

As the movie night was passing by with some Hollywood-like acting of a sad Jackson (he was bickering about how he wanted to sit next to Soojin because she once clung to Jinyoung's side at a kinda freaky scene), an equally sad BamBam (because he missed a new episode of his favorite show) and a random popcorn fight between Jinyoung and Jaebum, Soojin was starting to realize that each and everyone of them actually had a lot in common.

They were all quite lively and out-going, always in for some fun and they even shared similar interests as she found out during a heated debate over ice cream flavors and after-school activities. The movie night was actually the best thing that could have happened to them all because it wasn't only entertaining and funny, but also easing the tension between the seven of them.

Once the episode was over the guys decided to take advantage of the few days that were left before school started. After another lively discussion about what activity would be best for the last days of summer (that was sadly more chilly than anything else) they decided to visit an indoor swimming pool the next day. They already made plans on what to prepare and which pool to choose. Youngjae eagerly google-d for probably thirty minutes until they found one all of them could agree on. It was forty minutes away by train, relatively cheap and right next to a cinema in case any of them got bored and wanted to escape the water-wonderland.

Soojin and the guys decided that giving everyone a small task would be way easier than each of them doing one big thing together. Therefore Soojin and Jinyoung were in charge of the food for the train ride, Jackson was supposed to pack everything that didn't involve invading privacy (e.g. towels, beach slippers and shampoo), Youngjae would take care of dinner, BamBam and Yugyeom memorized the way from the train station to the pool and Jaebum would drive them all.

It was supposed to be a pretty simple trip but it still managed to make everyone fall asleep with at least a small amount of excitement this night. Soojin was probably the most excited though. She was still a bit cautious about going because of her close-to- appearance. The girl was never a huge fan of swimsuits and therefore she only packed her favorite bikini and except for her mom and Kwangsoo, nobody really saw her in it. Just her female friends at home. It might be nonsense for a girl with her body to worry about stuff like that but on the other hand it was just normal to feel slightly concerned, right?

Six different guys would be able to see her skin and now that she thought about it, she'd see their bodies as well. Even with the thought about guys her age being almost in front of her, she was still able to sleep peacefully, dreaming about white sand and a soft melody that was blowing along with a mild breeze while the silhouettes of six boys with charming smiles were visible close to the horizon.

 

- - - - - -


When she woke up she had the feeling that something unexpected would happen that day. Even when she sat up her thoughts were swirling around aimlessly. Without giving it much credit she hoped it was because of her excitement and went to the bathroom for a refreshing morning shower. However, she had no time to fully enjoy it as she was supposed to be in the kitchen in a few minutes to prepare the breakfast and pack some food for their train ride.

Once she stepped into the white room full of tiles and clean counters her cousin was already smiling at her from behind the stove.
“Rise and sunshine, Soo.” He was waving a spatula around as he flipped the eggs that were currently roasting away in a pan that was helplessly full with the yellow content. It seemed as if Jinyoung was busy with said task so Soojin simply stood next to him and began to make the sandwiches the seven of them would eat later on.

“Are you excited already?” her cousin asked between another session of flipping and turning the now fried eggs.

“Yes. It has been a while since I visited an indoor pool. I just hope you won't pick up your annoying habit of drowning me every ten seconds.”


“Oh, of course you'd only remember the bad things I did to you.”

With an affectionate ruffle of her hair, Jinyoung smiled down at her and turned to fully face the girl. “I wonder why you can't show your dearest cousin some love after all he has done for you.”

The girl was chuckling behind her hand as she set the butter knife down to smack the head of the male in front of her but somehow Jinyoung was already seeing that coming and so he grabbed her wrists and grinned widely from ear to ear.

“Nah-uh. Don't mess with my hair you butter and predictable woman, you.”

“Just wait you moron. One day I will mix hair dye in your shampoo and let you run around green haired”, she exclaimed once her wrists were released again.

“I'd still rock that color and you know it.”

After hitting her cousin several times and almost starting a food fight with him in the middle of the kitchen the both of them still managed to finish everything after forty minutes. By then Youngjae and BamBam already joined them down in the kitchen. They were discussing the details of today's trip until a half Jackson decided to come down as well.

His hair was dripping wet and his body only covered in a slightly damp towel that was hanging around his waist. Dark brown orbs that were barely open at all and a drawn out yawn signaled the tired state of the young male while he stumbled into the kitchen to – what Soojin assumed – grab something to eat.

Just as Jinyoung cleared his throat and Jackson forced his eyes open by another millimeter the latter realized in what state he was in and that there was now a girl living here with them as well.

“Oh ..” he groaned quietly before he turned again and made his way out of the kitchen and back into his room to put some decent clothes on – or clothes to begin with.

“Well, I hope that sudden intrusion won't affect your eye-sight cause it definitely affected mine” Soojin's cousin joked around and even BamBam had to stifle a chuckle at that.

“You have to know Soo, Jackson loves nothing more than running around with almost nothing on. Better keep your eyes open for that one.”

 

Soojin could only nod at that but apart from their little conversation, she didn't mind it that much. It's not like she's one of those girls that blush furiously at the sight of some abs – and abs that guy had! She was more down-on-earth and had no real problem with some skinship or skin as long as it didn't went overboard. She was also just a 19 year old girl and most people around her age had seen skin of the same and opposite gender before. It was nothing to get all giggly about.

 

Still, Jackson did have a relatively nice body and Soojin had to give him that (mentally).

 

- - - - - - -

 

After everyone was finally awake, with breakfast in their stomach and packed luggage in their hand the seven of them prepared Jaebum's car for the trip. Most of the stuff was simply put into the trunk and only the little bag with the water bottles and a few snacks for the car trip were securely placed on the lap of Jinyoung who was sitting on the passenger seat next to Jaebum.

That guy really was rich Soojin had to realize. The car he drove was not a simple van and it could easily be seen by how expensive the leather seats were looking. It once again made the girl think about how someone as rich and cocky as Jaebum could live with so many guys together. Especially since they weren't even close to being as rich as him and he was paying for the house and car (and probably other stuff too.) She just couldn't understand how they all were friends with such a moron that acted like a stuck up thirteen year old with his dirty grin sent towards Soojin whenever she'd look his way.

But ten minutes into the ride and Soojin forgot everything concerning the other male. She was sitting in the second row of the van, squished between Jackson and Youngjae and the two of them did everything to entertain the new girl. It was almost like she found two long-lost brothers that knew perfectly well about her interests and favorites.

They were joking the whole car ride long and at one point Soojin had to laugh so hard that her whole stomach cramped up and the laughing turned into a session of shedding tears and coughs. Quite enjoyable for everyone but Soojin and yet the girl still had a great time with them all.

 

 

Once they arrived at the parking lot of the indoor swimming pool everyone rushed to get out of the expensive van. Jinyoung had been whining constantly about how he really needed to use the toilet even though he was just using one before they left home. BamBam and Yugyeom had slept through the whole ride and Youngjae was complaining about the AC that wasn't working (to which Jackson replied with “Admit it. It's so hot because of me” and waited for Soojin to agree with him which she never did though)

 

Alright guys, I will buy the tickets for us all – with JB's money!” BamBam exclaimed loudly and waved the leather wallet of his friend around. Youngjae and Jackson were running after him like little kids with the latter trying to persuade BamBam into buying them all ice cream with Jaebum's credit card as well. Seeing that Jinyoung and Yugyeom were moving towards the restroom and the oh so nice Jaebum didn't make any move to follow any of them, Soojin was now left alone with him. Not that she was scared or anything.
 

Any reason for why you've been avoiding me like the plague?”

Soojin turned her head to face the man who just uttered those words to her. Was he serious right now?

“I guess that you don't wanna talk to me, hm? Well, I'd like to know why. Did I do anything to upset your pretty little leader heart?”

There it was again. The completely unnecessary and annoying word. Leader girl. What did he want from her and why was he such a sarcastic little anyway?!

“You speaking already upsets me so I suggest you simply stay quiet like you did the past few years. Thanks.”

 

Jaebum certainly was surprised by that answer and even Soojin saw that. His face resembled shock and mild irritation. But Soojin felt no remorse. Not even the slightest bit. After all it was Jaebum who she got along with so well a few years ago and it was also Jaebum who decided to never answer her texts or calls after she moved. Therefore a lame excuse like the one Jinyoung brought up wasn't possible here and the only explanation for Soojin was that her old friend, indeed, wanted nothing to do with her again.

“Because you didn't even tell me about moving out of town!” Jaebum replied loudly, a few heads turning to look at what the yelling was about. However, Soojin didn't care about
the male's outburst right now. She was busy with fuming over the blatant lie the male in front of her just tried to sell her.

“I told nobody! But I sent them texts a few days after I left.. I sent you close to twenty! How is it that everyone answered but you didn't?”

“Don't lie. You never texted me.. you didn't even call. I always knew you weren't that brave but that you are shallow like this actually surprises me.”

Soojin could only gape at the turn of this conversation. For a second she wanted to reach out and hit the face of this stupid jerk right in front of her. How dare he say she's a liar?!

“Maybe you just didn't want to ever see me again and honestly I'd have been much more content with you saying this instead of ignoring me for years and lying like a wimp. I mean, I knew that whatever happened back at the tree house wasn't really the best last impression I left but come on..”

 

Oh, no. He definitely wasn't going to talk about THIS event. No chance. Whatever happened back then, is the past. Soojin wouldn't allow herself to get affected by this anymore.


“Forget it. Just shut up. I know I sent you several messages so shut up now.” She'd have none of this bull any longer. If it was her cousin or Jaebum didn't matter anymore – everybody seemed to take a liking of lying to her. It was almost like a curse and it immediately managed to drop the mood. Her excitement for the pool was now entirely gone and she could only hope for the male to really shut his annoying mouth for the rest of the day.

 

For now he followed her orders at least. A tired and somewhat defeated sigh could be heard before Jaebum started to move and ruffle his hair in what seemed like frustration. He was a really good actor. Soojin had to give him that. But she still didn't believe that he felt any kind of regret or need to apologize. Obviously this prick just cared about himself and the girl couldn't help but wonder where her past friend was now.