These Four Walls

Sorrow

DIMLY LIT ROOM. MIDNIGHT.

Sandra softly wept underneath her black satin sheets; the storm outside only fuelling her rage as she pictures his face, his wicked grin, misty eyes and arched eyebrows. The memory of their break-up still fresh as she recalls his last harsh words before leaving her completely humiliated in front of their cohort; the constant laughter forcing further emotions to surface as she turned and ran out of the school grounds.

Punching the pillow beneath her head, Sandra tries not to scream in pain as she starts to shake continuously; her anger building rapidly as she refuses to believe the truth; he was gone and it was her fault. Snorting, she suddenly bolts upright, her sweaty hair creating a barrier over her ghostly features, clutching her knees, she begins to whimper quietly.

Coughing, she reaches for the telephone, desperation entering her mind as she starts to dial his number; a flash of light distracts her momentarily as she lets the phone full amongst the crumpled sheets. The unwanted tears still come, causing her hazel orbs to sting; sighing, she falls back amid the chaos.

It was her fault, yet she didn't fully believe it; how could she? He cheated not her, but then again, she did push him away. Shaking her head furiously, Sandra fights back the negative thoughts; her mind drifting back into the past as she hears her phone vibrate off of the bed.

Rolling over, Sandra fights the urge to pick up; closing as she begins to choke back sobs of despair; her eyes shutting tightly as she realizes whose calling. It was him, but why? He said that it was over, so why call? Sighing deeper, she hesitantly picks up the cell phone before rejecting the call. Her eyes again closing tightly; this was it, it was truly over.

DIMLY LIT STUDY. MIDNIGHT.

Sanghoon sighs as he hears the answering machine; again she had rejected his call. Swearing loudly, he ruffles his hair in frustration; he regretted dumping her so harshly, but knew it was for the best. Lying back in his chair, he tries to comprehend his actions that lead up to this unfortunate event. 

A sudden knock on the door frightening him as he glances back over his shoulder; a slender figure silently enters, her head bowed. Growling in irritation, Sanghoon refuses to acknowledge her presences, instead he turns his attention back towards the plain white wall.

The answer he seeks now smacking him right in the face as she scurries forward; her hair creating a thin curtain over his head as she embraces his rigid form; her heart beat evident through the thin lace top she wore; shaking her off, he orders her out; the demand at first ignored until he spins the chair around; fury evident in his eyes as he grasps at her shoulders, pushing her away violently.

Shocked, the unnamed girl squeals before landing a hard slap across Sanghoon's tight jaw; the loud crack startling both of them; blinking rapidly, he rubs at the now red, roar surface; a new level of anger building in him as he starts to growl and scream at the quivering girl; her knees quacking as she slides down onto the dusty ground; her gaze now focused on his shoes.

She hadn't expected him to react so aggressively however, it was obvious that he realized his mistake in accepting her proposal. Sniffling, she silently rises from her position before hesitantly stepping back; her eyes never leaving his black leather shoes; her hand trembles endlessly as she reaches for the door knob. The eerie creak, the only sound heard before she is gone.

Slumping back in his chair, Sanghoon tries to deal with his tortuous situation; a sudden vibration, startling him as he reaches for his cell phone; the picture of Sandra stunning him, as he finally picks up; the first words he says cut off by her as she requests him to move on before hanging up.

The silence that follows echoes through the room as one thought repeats in his mind, this was it, it was truly over.