Final

Strawberry Afternoon

 


Minhyuk brushed his knuckles across the volumes of books on the shelf, wondering if he should just give in and chase her among the rows and rows of books in the library. Not that there's anyone who would hush and scurry them out of the place anyway, it was a lazy Sunday with nary a soul in sight. Even the librarian chose to while the afternoon away on an improved recliner under a large, shady tree outside the small building, unaware of the buzzing of early spring bugs hovering by his ears, giving them temporary ownership of the place as he traveled away in his dreams.

He thought briefly about what possessed him to take her on this impromptu roadtrip, a 3-hour drive away from the bustling streets of Seoul. Just that morning, after they scurried off to another secret rendezvous near the Han River, Soojung waved in front of his face a newly acquired book from a thrift shop, her excitement with the purchase illuminating her features. She smiled and said to him, "I like stories that whisper," and proceeded to devour word after word, completely ignoring his presence. While he was content to watch her read her book, a sudden remembrance of a quaint, secluded library in a nearby province (he could not remember, but he was sure that he heard it from Yonghwa's friend- Jinguk- who has a knack of finding impossibly beautiful places) that made him start up the engine and begin to drive, unmindful of whatever schedules they might have that day (he was sure she has none and he'll just have to deal with Yonghwa later).

The muted panic in Soojung quieted down as soon as they stepped into the library, the smell of dust and must tickled their nostrils, and he was sure that for his female companion, they had reached heaven. It's not something that was generally known to people, Soojung the book lover, and he was glad that the secret was his to enjoy. He has that habit of planning everything even to the minutest detail, but for her, he was willing to throw that away and indulge everything that makes her special to him.

His musings were interrupted when he heard a faint thud of a book falling to the floor, worried that his Soojung might've been injured, he followed the noise and rushed by her side to inspect any signs of concussion.

"Oppa, what are you doing?" She had swatted his hands away from her hair, a mixture of annoyance and amusement written on her face. She liked it when he fussed over her, whatever the reason might be.

His hands slipped down to cup her face, "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Hurt?" Her brows furrowed in question.

"I heard a book fall...," his voice faltered at the sight of understanding on her face.

She picked up a medium sized tome, all lovingly battered from being read and re-read, the title- Saint Francis' Holiday- was barely readable from age, and shoved it to him. "If something falls, it doesn't always mean that someone has to get hurt, you know."

He could feel his face form a smile, one thing that comes effortlessly when it comes to her.

"But since we're already like this," Soojung placed her small hands over his, "you can come and kiss me." Her eyes crinkled with mirth at Minhyuk's surprised look.

"Now, actually."

That jolted him into action. Between them, it was her who was bolder, braver so he knew that he only needed to run forward to her and she will always be there to catch him. He smiled into their kiss, his cheeks feeling the soft caress of her eyelashes as her eyes fluttered close.

Minhyuk hears Soojung give a sigh, its warmth enveloped him in happiness and he decided that he will never forget that day. He holds her tighter and locks the memory in his heart.