CHAPTER ONE

Strangers in Notre Dame

 

Yonghwa looked solemnly at the view in front of him. The serene beauty of the Notre Dame is breathtaking. He really doesn’t know why his confidante, Father Tomas, has suggested him to take this luxurious vacation but he knew that Father Tomas is just looking out at him.

He smiled remembering the shock of Father Tomas when he announced his plan that he would enter the monastery. He is sure that it was his destiny. For all of his life, helping people, teaching children and their parents, reaching out to the needy has given him great satisfaction. He grew up with the guidance of Father Tom, which is why he wanted to be like him. He wanted to continue serving people.

But then, Father Tomas has doubts… not on his good intentions but if this path is really his to take. They had discussing that topic all over again and Father Tomas insisted that he should reflect and do some soul-searching. Being a priest is a lifetime commitment that the deepest of his heart must be sure that this is what he is fated to take.

After several discussion and counseling, Father Tomas had suggested for him to take time see the world by himself. Discover his true desire… his true self.

So he did.

He had been to Italy, crossed over to Spain and France. He learned a lot and had met new people. Day by day… he had seen both good and bad. He had met some people whom at young age know what they wanted… and some whom had a lot of regrets and doubts.

Knowing them… he perfectly understood what Father Tomas really wanted. He wanted Yonghwa to be sure... or his heart will be filled with regrets.

 

“And that is one of the reason I hate with you!” Yonghwa got distracted with that voice. He looked around and his heart skipped a beat when he saw her, a beautiful angel. Unconsciously, his hand went to his heart, which is beating so loudly. He knew he was staring and it was rude… but he can’t seem to take his eyes off her.

“Huh… this is unbelievable. Mother… if you will continue like this… I won’t come back. You can just forget you have a daughter!” The angel shouted and cut the call. A tear escaped her eye and she hastily wiped it away. She took a deep breath and that’s when she noticed him looking at her.

“Did you enjoy the show?” She said sarcastically and glared at him before turning back and moving away.

Yonghwa took seconds before he snapped out of his daze. His heartbeat is starting to come back to normal yet it left him terribly confused. This is the first he had felt such strong emotion… this is the first time he felt… utterly speechless, hooked, happy and, strangely, he felt at peace and at home.

What is this? He asked himself.

~

 

Seohyun slammed the door of her suite and she angrily wiped the tears that kept on falling. For so long… she hated the way her mother sought for love from men. When her father abandoned them when she was 7… she saw how her mother had struggled. Being depressed… drinking alcohol… overdosing herself with sleeping pills. At an early age… she had witnessed how her father destructed a beautiful woman, that is her mother. Then came a man whom her mother thought is the one. But that man had only wanted her money… abusing her mother physically and emotionally. He can’t on hurting them… she loathe him. One day… when he was beating her… she just collapsed and almost died. It was that time that her mother knew enough is enough.

She thought her mother learned her lesson… but then came another man in her life. Her mother got so blinded searching for love… while those men only saw her mother as a money-making machine, a punching bag, a slave.

That is why she swore… she would not be needing men. Seohyun hated them. For her… all of them are the same. They are evil, manipulative and abusive.

She knew that she will never… ever… fall in love.

~

 

Yonghwa doesn’t know what is he doing… but it was the third day he hasn’t seen her and the emptiness he felt is too much to bear. He is confused… what is wrong with him? Ever since that day when he saw her… his heart kept on longing and looking for her.

And last night… he had somewhat had an explanation of what is happening to him. She is broken… and he just wanted to help her. That is why he is here at the same place he saw her for almost 4 hours, patiently waiting for her.

He knew that she might no longer be here… that she already went home. But he can’t explain it… a strong instinct is telling him that she’s still here.

Then as if fate wanted to prove him right… he saw her. There goes his heart again… beating wildly.

She didn’t see him and she settled herself on the bench two seats apart from him. She then took her camera and proceeded to take pictures of the scenery. Yonghwa smiled. She seemed more at peace now. Every time she will look at the pictures she had taken… her sweet smile will appear.

He was in the middle of admiring her smiling face when she looked at his way. A certain emotion appeared on her face, of which she quickly masked with stoic face.

“You do know that it is rude to stare?” She said.

“I… I’m sorry.”

“This is the second time I caught you staring at me. In any case it isn’t clear to you… I’m not comfortable at you staring at me… so if you please.” She said and gathered her things and left him.

A strange feeling stirred inside him once again. Happiness? Satisfaction? Whatever it is… he can’t help the smile from appearing on his face. ‘This is the second time I caught you staring at me…’ She said… which only meant… she remembered him.

~

Seohyun threw her things on the bed… clearly frustrated. She took deep breaths to calm her nerves and then she picked up her camera and slumped her body on the couch. She scanned through the pictures and she can’t herself from being frustrated once more as she looked through them.

For the past few days… it was only one person whom the photographer in her wanted to capture. The guy from earlier... the guy with his boyish looks and gentle smile.

The first time she saw him was when he was checking in. She just checked herself in that day and she is on a mission to find some new inspiration for her photo exhibit but then her heart skipped a beat when she saw him.

To say that she was stunned and terrified is understatement. Her heart is beating wildly. A wave of unexplainable and new feelings had emerged from the deepest part of her heart.

She shook her head upon remembering it. No… she won’t be side-tracked. No matter how gentle he looks… he is still a man. A good-for-nothing man.

But the artist in her… couldn’t resist. He has the most beautiful face, she had ever laid her eyes on. He is perfectly sculptured. His beauty outshone the scenery of Notre Dame.

~

“You do know it is rude to take someone else’s picture without asking for permission?” A voice startled Seohyun while she was looking at her newly-taken photos. She looked up and her face heat up when the man in the picture she is looking at is right in front of her.

She then huffed and look at him squarely. “It is also rude snooping at someone else’s things.”

Yonghwa laughed, amused at how fast this woman changed her emotions. He then turned serious. He is going crazy these past few days. He had to let it out.

“Look… I… I don’t normally do this. But it is obvious that both of us is drawn towards each other. How about… getting to know each other?”

Seohyun scoffed. She knew it. And here she is thinking that he could be different. Apparently her view about men is right. “Look… even though I’m taking your pictures it doesn’t mean that I’m interested with you. So stop your bull of saying that you don’t normally do this. I’m not that kind of girl whom you can hook up and have a wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am with.”

Yonghwa looked at her confused. “Wha… what are you talking about?”

The woman looked at him pointedly and realization of what she was implying had him mortified. “Are you saying that…” He can’t believe this woman. And here he is thinking she’s an angel. “Look here… I just thought that we can both figure out each other. I just wanted to help… you seemed broken.” He took a deep breath. “I’m sorry if I made you feel that I wanted to have a one-night affair with you. Believe me… I’m not that kind of guy. I’m sorry. I won’t bother you again.”

He said and turned his back and leave.

~~~~

 

 

TEASER

 

Seohyun knew this time would come… but instead of feeling offended or disgusted or mad… anticipation had run all over her body. She can feel it even before he asked. The days they were together… she isn’t oblivious to the building heat and desire between the two of them. And she knew… if he didn’t asked… she will be the one to ask him.

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

 

Tadan!!! Chapter 1 is done!!

 

The next chapter will be rated. hihihi.

 

And also, please read my othe fanfic. 

 

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/678586/my-boss-and-i-abuse-gdragon-gtae-jiyong--soshibang-taeyeon

 

Inspired by Darness.