Chapter Two

Running Love

After having finished the mission in the first location, Jong Kook and his amateur VJ headed back to where their car had been parked.

–Jah, this is good, I’m the first one in finishing, right? –he turned and asked the girl, disguised as a boy.

–Er... –she turned around and counted with one of her fingers how many coloured cars were still parked there– Haha must have left already –she mumbled, noticing that there were just six cars, counting Kook’s– ah, ye, Hyung –she raised her voice for her oppa to hear her– we’re the first ones.

–Assa! –Kook exclaimed and entered the car.

Yoon Ki let out a sigh and calmly entered the vehicle as well. She was too tired to talk so all she did for the next fifteen minutes was listening to Jong Kook talking about the points that he gained in the mission and what would he do with them in the last location.

–There were only three balls in the first spot... That means only three persons were able to do it at that place... So in some way, the first three persons would have the advantage... I’m pretty sure they’ll give me something for arriving first at the next location too... don’t you think? –he turned to Yoon Ki, who was caught off guard.

She hesitated.

–Ani... hyung... you are already used to these situations but I’m just new here and to that let’s add I’m pretty odd, I can’t understand a single thing of what you’re saying –she admitted.

Joong Kook laughed.

–Well, you may be really fast but of course you had to have your downside.

Fast.

 She remembered how fast she had run out of the house where Haha had been ousted, because Jong Kook had said something he was supposed not to say.

–Er... this... talking about earlier... Hyung... –she started nervously.

–Oh... what about it? –Jong Kook asked, stopping at the traffic lights.

–Well... that... you know... –she stammered really embarrassed.

–What? What is it? –Jong Kook asked again, curiously.

Ani... Does he ask because he doesn’t know? Come on, this guy... Such a betrayer.

–I mean, I’ve seen the programme a lot of times before and I was pretty sure you were completely opposite from the ‘betrayer club’ but know I notice you could perfectly join them –she said without even noticing she was being rude.

Jong Kook, however, burst into laughter once again.

–Ani... wae? This child really... What a sharp tongue the one you have!

Yoon Ki’s cheeks became red and she tried to hide that by pulling on her hoodie up her head, despite the hot weather.

–Is it because of Dong Hoonnie? –he asked once he stopped choking.

–Well, he may be misunderstanding right now because of what you said... Joesonghabnida, I didn’t mean to be so rude...

–Ani, I should be apologising, I promised I wasn’t going to tell him... But anyway, he won’t misunderstand, what’s wrong with it? It’s okay that you’re his fan, what’s the matter? Besides, he’ll probably forget it by tomorrow.

I hope so... As if it wasn’t awkward enough to be near him... And we have crossed out just two minimal words! I can’t bear it but to feel really nervous when he’s around, what should I do? All of this is because I’ve been willing to meet him so long... I’m pretty sure he doesn’t imagine I’m practically his biggest fan, although I think I’m more at the level of a stalker...

–Joon Ki-ah...

But what else could I do to thank him? Being a simple fan isn’t enough, should I make him some kimbap?

–Yoon Ki-ah?

 Aniyo... that’d be so weird, we’ve just met.

–Yah, Kim Yoon Ki!

She jumped on her seat, surprised by Jong Kook’s strong voice.

–What? What happened? –she asked, confused.

–You’re in your own world once again, that happened! –Kook laughed out loud, and the girl noticed the car wasn’t moving anymore– we’re here! –he announced, exiting the car.

Aish... Jeongmal Yoon Ki, you have to stop that.

As soon as she stepped out of the car, the first thing he saw was Haha’s name-tag in front of her eyes. The penguin had arrived at the location at the same moment as them and he was closing the driver’s door.

She gasped for air, surprised, and looked around for Jong Kook, expecting him to help her, but he was already heading to where the rest of the staff was waiting.

–Oh! Yoon Ki-ah! –she heard him exclaiming, and turned her head to see him smiling. He approached her and put an arm around her shoulder– how is it?

They started to walk together; Yoon Ki was completely blank and dumbfounded by Haha’s closeness.

–Ye? –she asked in a whisper.

–The programme! Is it too hard to carry the camera? Do you want me to help you? –he stopped and tried to take the camera, but Yoon Ki stepped back.

–Aniyo... Gwenchanayo... It’s... it’s okay, it’s easy... Ye... I’m the VJ, how can I let you hyung-nim carry it? –She answered, nervously trying to look hurried– I’ve got to go where Jong Kook...

–Ani... it seems so heavy for you! You don’t have to hurry, there are more cameras there... –he tried once again to take it, this time Yoon Ki made a sudden bow.

–Joesonghabnida hyung-nim.

She practically ran away from there. Her heart was about to explode by the time she stopped and placed the camera on a tripod next to some of the staff. There was no need to follow Jong Kook around this time because the mission was to be done in just one spot: on the rice field.

She could see Haha approaching from the corner of her eye, and she wished so much that Jong Kook hadn’t ousted him so early so she wouldn’t have him standing right next to her!

She could see that he was trying to make her comfortable, as it was her first day... But he had no idea that he was doing completely the opposite.

After ten minutes, all the other members arrived and carried on with the mission. Yoon Ki didn’t even know what the mission was, to be honest. She was just staring blankly at the coloured blurs in front of the cameras, only aware of Haroro’s moves.

His laughter made her heart bump faster, and she heard as he clapped, probably excited about something one of the members was doing, she wasn’t sure.

–Yah, Ji Hyo daebak! –he exclaimed.

Yoon Ki’s body couldn’t be more rigid. Although Haha wasn’t next to her anymore, she was sure he was right behind. His voice had sounded almost on her ear.

Ja... Let’s act normal... You probably look really awkward... He’ll notice... Calm down... He’s just standing there, you’re supposed to supervise the image on the camera, yes... let’s do that.

She focused on the camera and nothing else.

She couldn’t last much, though, because Haha was laughing again, and the sound of his laughter was really genuine. She couldn’t just pretend not to hear it.

–Whoa! Look at Jong Kook! Yah... so good I got ousted, I wouldn’t like to be in Jae Suk’s... Whoa! –He clapped again– yah... he’s dead, dead. Uri hyung it’s the best!

She felt the necessity to turn around and shout him to shut up, because she couldn’t concentrate on anything if he was talking, laughing, clapping... If he was just standing there!

She let out a sigh of relief when the members (completely covered by mud) approached the staff to change their clothes and clean their faces.

The mission had finished. And yes, she didn’t know who had win, or what have they all done to be all dirty as they were.

I’m pathetic. She thought, shaking her head.

 Luckily, she didn’t have to be around Haha for much more time, because as soon as Jong Kook changed his clothes, they headed to the last location, leaving the rest of the members behind once again.

 –Yoon Ki-ah, this is it... –Jong Kook talked to her as he looked somewhere to hide inside the big building the PD’s had asked for permission to film in– the last location. This is war, arasso?

She smiled and shyly nodded, amused by the tiger’s determination.

–I definitely won’t be ousted today –he opened a door and looked inside the dark room. There were a lot of boxes inside of it and it was a pretty reduced space to hide.

Oh... I hope we don’t get inside a very small space... What am I going to do then...?

–I’m pretty sure Dong Hoon will try to go against me as I ousted him in the first location... We’ve got to be alert –he closed the door of the storage room– that may be a good place to hide later... –he mumbled.

Suddenly, a male voice filled the silence.

Running Men... You have one limited hour to oust your opponents, in case the time is due and more than one of you is still alive, any won’t be receiving the gold. Then, RACE START.

Jong Kook kept looking inside the rooms as if he was looking for something, and Joon Ki asked herself what was he up to.

Maybe you’d know if you hadn’t been so concerned about what Haha was doing the whole day.

She knew she wasn’t supposed to talk, Jong Kook had been intimating with her a little bit as it was her first day as a VJ, but she knew that the VJ’s normally wouldn’t talk to them.

So she kept silent and just followed him around.

 

It had been a long time since both Kook and Yoon Ki had seen or heard any member.

They were probably gathering to attack the commander all of a sudden, Jong Kook was sure of that. Yoon Ki, being the loyal fan of the programme as she was, couldn’t think about anything more accurate.

The possibilities were high. If they tried to oust Jong Kook all together, they may have a possibility to succeed, but if not, Jong Kook would oust every one of them, one by one, and he’d be once again the winner.

–I think we should hide, by now they’re probably looking for me in every corner –Jong Kook murmured as he peeked into a room, Yoon Ki followed him inside and gasped when Kwang Soo’s voice was heard from the corridor.

Jong Kook closed the door of the room hurriedly and turned off the lights, staying still.

Yoon Ki desperately tried to find any interrupter in the camera, but it wasn’t easy as she couldn’t see a thing. How could she turn the light on?

Hyung! You look on those, I’ll verify he’s not here –Kwang Soo shouted outside, and Jong Kook stayed right behind the door that would hide him perfectly when the giraffe opened it.

Yoon Ki hurriedly placed herself next to Jong Kook, still being unable to find any interrupter that would turn the camera’s light on.

Jong Kook was too worried not to be discovered at the moment and probably wasn’t aware of her nervous state.

If any of the PD saw me they’d fire me immediately... She thought.

Suddenly, something knocked her down. She found herself on the floor while the corridor’s light entered the room and Kwang Soo’s screams filled the space.

–Ahhh! Jae Suk hyung! He’s here! Jae Suk hyung! Noona! –the giraffe desperately asked for help, and Yoon Ki stood up still dazed. She could see Jong Kook on the floor grabbing Kwang Soo’s arms, immobilizing him.

Luckily, the light of the room was by the grasshopper that had just entered. Song Ji Hyo appeared behind him and started laughing at the scene.

–Kwang Soo-yah! –she exclaimed, amused. Jae Suk was laughing as well, and Yoon Ki couldn’t stop herself from smiling.

Is anybody going to help him?

–Oppa! Palli! –Ji Hyo shouted, and Yoon Ki had to step aside for they had thrown themselves to the floor and were trying to get Jong Kook’s nametag.

Kwang Soo was still unable to move, Jong Kook right above him.

–Ah! Hyung! My foot! –the Giraffe screamed in pain, but nobody paid attention to him than Yoon Ki.

Ji Hyo and Jae Suk were trying to lift Jong Kook from the floor to rip his nametag, but he was like a rock. Not even with the two of them he was moved, and even if that happened, there would be nobody to rip the nametag because both the Ace and the Grasshopper would be too busy maintaining him on the air.

Just by watching the scene live Yoon Ki understood the reality of that scene that had repeated itself in a lot of previous episodes.

So he’s really impossible to beat...

Suk Jin joined the circus seconds later, not being of much help, honestly.

Yoon Ki was bewildered by the tiger’s strength. She never thought he was really that strong. She simply thought the other members were actually exaggerating to make the programme funnier.

Suk Jin was now in the same state as Kwang Soo. Yoon Ki made her way next to Kwon Ryul, whose camera was right on Yoo Jae Suk’s face, capturing his funny but painful expression.

Yoon Ki thought that she could have a best angle to film the confrontation and made her way outside the room, stood on the corridor and caught the five people perfectly with the camera.

However, she wasn’t expecting to find Haroro right outside, against the wall.

She stumbled backwards surprised, and Haha made her a sign not to reveal his presence.

She nodded blankly, and he smiled to her.

Seconds later, Kwang Soo was ousted. Then Jae Suk, and Suk Jin followed.

Yoon Ki could see the members of the staff approaching the room, they took the ousted ones out, leaving only Ji Hyo and Jong Kook inside.

Haha was still waiting for his opportunity, but unaware of Gary who was silently approaching him, eyes settled on his nametag.

Yoon Ki felt uneasy. She felt the necessity to scream ‘Oppa, behind you!’, but that was obviously something she couldn’t do.

So she coughed loudly to make Haha turn his attention to her, but the penguin didn’t even move. He was peeking into the room, waiting for the exact moment in which Jong Kook would be too distracted trying to stop Ji Hyo from ripping his nametag that he wouldn’t notice him trying to rip it.

Gary was just a few meters from Haha, and Yoon Ki turned the camera towards his direction abruptly, hoping Haha would notice her movement.

Aish!

Seconds later, Haha’s nametag was on Gary’s hand. The penguin had been caught off guard, and so couldn’t recover from the sudden attack until a member of the staff approached him and tried to drag him by the arm.

–What the...? I thought we were going to oust Jong Kook first?! –he said, pointing at Gary with a fake angry expression on his face.

–What?! –Jong Kook shouted from inside the room, hearing his dongsaeng's voice for the first time in a while.

–Eh, I’m sorry Haha-yah, my hand just acted by itself... Mianhae Cheongmal... –he laughed while Haha was drawn away by the staff member who remained serious.

Yoon Ki noticed her camera was filming Haha’s back a little too late, and returned inside the room to film the three remaining members. Jong Kook was standing against the wall, with one of his hands on his own nametag, waiting for the Monday Couple’s attack, and sent a quick glance to Yoon Ki, whose cheeks became of a red colour instantly.

–Yah! You’re my VJ! What where you doing out there?! –Jong Kook inquired amused yet keeping an eye on the Ace that was standing right in front of him, next to Gary.

Yoon Ki bite her lip embarrassed, and felt thankful to Ji Hyo who chose that moment to make a move and tried to reach the tiger’s back without much success.

The attention was centred on the trio as both Ji Hyo and Gary tried to move Jong Kook far from the wall so they’d be able to reach his nametag. The task wasn’t easy at all, though. Five minutes passed easily and the tiger was still alive.