Prologue

Running Love

Alright; I look good, don’t I? I mean, I look good for a guy. She took a look at her reflection on the mirror once again before grabbing her bag and going out of the apartment. She entered the lift and fought against the uneasy feeling growing inside of her all the way till’ the first floor.

She still hadn’t figured out how was it that she was now heading to the SBS channel building to start her work as a member of the Running Man variety show staff. She had never been that lucky. She was conscious that it had been one of the hardest things to do to convince the PD’s to give the vacant to her... No, she was conscious that all of that felt like a dream. She wasn’t sure if it was a good one or a bad one, because even though meeting Ha Dong Hoon was the thing she wanted to do the most in the world, becoming a guy and pretend to be somebody else wasn’t on the plans.

Well, I can just quit whenever I need to. After having met him and thanked him.

She walked out of the building and took a bus to the city centre. Her stomach didn’t stop bothering her in the whole trip. She kept asking herself if she was doing the right thing. Somebody could be arrested for changing its identity, couldn’t it?

They didn’t recognize me the day of the interview. Thanks god I decided to take it as a boy, they had probably rejected me immediately if I had appeared as myself... They took a long time to criticize my complex, that I was thin... That I didn’t look confident enough or experienced... Well, maybe they finished picking me because they couldn’t find anybody better. But yet... I’m sure anybody would be better than me.

She shook her head, not wanting to think about it anymore. She had got the opportunity she’d been waiting for, and was not going to waste it.

Yoon Ki put on her backpack and started hyperventilating while walking towards the huge building. There were a lot of black vans parked outside and she could tell that they belonged to the staff and the members, but nobody was there.

When she entered the building she noticed a few eyes on her, and she got more nervous if that was even possible. She bit her tongue and let out a sigh.

Okay, calm down. You are dressed as a boy now. Don’t act like a girl.

She lifted her gaze and looked for the two PD’s she had talked to the last week, but all the staff was dressed in black and it wasn’t as easy as it sounded.

–Yoon Ki-ssi! –she heard somebody calling, and turned instantly.

–Annyeong-haseyo sunbae-nim –she bowed to one of the PD’s, Go Dong Wan.

–Right, hello, hello... –he said, hurried– we’re already running late, if you were so kind to accompany me... –he didn’t asked for permission and took one of her arms to lead her to the other staff members who looked at her curiously– this is Lee Yoon Ki and he’ll be the new VJ.

VJ?!

She bowed to all the people as she tried to calm down.

–Ple-please take care of me... –she stammered as she bowed again, trying to make her voice sound masculine.

A VJ? She was going to be a VJ? But... but a VJ...

–Alright, we better be heading up, Kwon Ryul please explain him the basic rules and we’ll see you in the location.

Dong Wan left after sending her a friendly smile.

Yoon Ki was still dumbfounded and hadn’t noticed that the man next to her was talking.

–...it won’t be a problem if you’re fit, but I’ve got the feeling you won’t have any problem, otherwise you wouldn’t have applied for the job, right? –he laughed and put an arm around her shoulder, that made her cringe but she tried to hide it– so, shall we drop off formalities? –they started walking, or better, Kwon Ryul started walking and Yoon Ki was leaded by him, because she couldn’t think about anything at the moment.

She wasn’t expecting to be a VJ. They never specified what part of the staff was vacant though...

–...so you can call me hyung, we’ll be seeing regularly so there’s no need to be awkward between each other.

Yoon Ki nodded in response.

They went out of the building and entered one of the vans that were parked outside. All the other VJ’s entered too and she started to feel suffocated inside the car. She had always suffered from claustrophobia but she was highly sure it wasn’t the claustrophobia what was making her feel like that. She was way too nervous.

And the whole trip was like that. Kwon Ryul dedicated the twenty minutes to explain her some basic things about the programme in case she wasn’t aware. Yoon Ki, however, listened only to the first half, because she couldn’t concentrate.

–Are you sure you’ll be able to carry the camera to and fro? –one of the other men asked, he was sat in front of her.

Yeah, she looked way too girlish to be a VJ. But she was a girl!

–Yes, no problem –she answered, smiling uncomfortably.

The biggest problem at the moment was that she didn’t even know how to turn on a camera!

–‘Kay, we’re here –Kwon Ryul announced next to her, and she was the first one in going out of the car when it stopped, already feeling a headache.

I can’t be a VJ! How am I supposed to be a VJ?

–We’ve got some extra time before starting, the opening today will be all together so there’s no need to go on separate ways today –Kwon Ryul continued explaining her the things as they reached the spot where all the cameras were being placed.

The staff was organizing everything and she just kept looking at them blank.

What did I get myself into?