XVI

Black Soda Drink
He kissed me that morning in bed, right before he left. That was the first time he had ever done something like that. It was like he knew I was leaving.
 
I still hadn’t told him despite the fact that Gura was coming to pick me up today. Lucky for me, I hadn’t really unpacked since coming here. My things were mostly still in my suitcases and it was easy to stuff everything away while Kris was at work.
 
I wrote him a letter, telling him that I was going to go live with a friend. I even wrote the address because I knew he’d wonder if I went back to my brother’s place. I placed it on the coffee table with a can of Cola to keep it in place and then I went grocery shopping.
 
It was therapeutic in a way. The fridge was getting empty and Kris needed to stop eating out so often. I replenished his pantries until he could probably go a month without having to do any shopping.
 
He would be busy working anyway.
 
I also bought him a box of Ginseng tea to give to his mom. I couldn’t just leave without making a good impression (besides, it was on sale).
 
The floor needed mopping again and I almost laughed when I remembered complimenting Kris on his mop. Honestly, I probably looked like a crazy housewife as I cleaned the room with a grin on my face.
 
I also washed the sheets no matter how much I wanted to simply bundle myself up in the covers. I still couldn’t believe that I actually slept in the same bed with him and survived to tell the tale. Some nights, I had to fear for my life as I woke up to find Kris’s huge hand slapping down against my back.
 
I took one last shower in the bathroom where I had forgotten my soap and shampoo twice, and then I felt like crying because I had nothing else left to do.
 
I patted my cheeks. I’ve been crying way too much these days. I had a life to live and a writing career to look forward to. There was no time to cry.
 
Thankfully, Gura arrived soon after I had my little pep talk.
 
She gave an appreciative whistle when she entered. “This is a step-up from your brother’s apartment. I think it was lucky of you to get kicked out.”
 
Yeah.” I didn’t tell her about Yixing. I didn’t know if I was ready.
 
How are the talks with your new landlord going?”
 
I picked up the heaviest suitcase along with my purse. “He hasn’t replied to my email yet but I’m pretty sure I’ve got the place already so I’ll only need to stay at your house for a little while. Where are you going? The door’s this way.”
 
Where’s the other bedroom? I only see one.” Gura’s face suddenly jumped out at me from the hallway. “Don’t tell me you two share a bed!”
 
We don’t!” I blew my hair out of my face in frustration. I didn’t want her getting any ideas. “I sleep on the couch.”
 
Aww, that’s not very gentlemanly of him.”
 
We take turns,” I said on the spot, a tad too defensively. “This week, it’s me sleeping on the couch. It doesn’t matter if he’s gentlemanly or not, we’re just roommates. He treats me like a sister.” That last part was true.
 
And what do you think of him?” she asked as she picked up my other suitcase.
 
I shrugged, locking the door behind us. “He’s nice. Not a bad person to live with.”
 
Hmm.”
 
She left it at that. We got down to the car and then she drove. I told myself not to look back at all. I ducked my head when we passed by the street on which Kris’s bank was located. I didn’t look up until we got to Gura’s home.
 
This place looked familiar.
 
Her family welcomed me warmly but I was overwhelmed by the amount of people the moment I stepped through the door. It was loud here and I knew I wasn’t going to get any privacy. I needed to make sure I remembered to put my shampoo and soap in the bathroom before stepping into the shower.
 
They made a big dinner for me (or maybe they always had big dinners), and then we spent some time chatting at the table before Gura told me she would show me to our room.
 
It was tiny.
 
I couldn’t complain. It was better than nothing.
 
I sat on the edge of the mattress that they had pulled in and asked, “Gura, is there a small bridge past the trees?”
 
You mean the trees in the backyard? Yeah, it’s a bit of a walk but it’s a nice place especially during a full moon. When the water gets really loud, you can hear it from here. Personally, I think it’s pretty soothing.”
 
I told her I was going to check it out.
 
Do you want me to come with you?”
 
No, it’s fine. I’ve been there before. I know the way.”
 
---
 
/sobs this story is nearing its end ;/