Find a new job or get fired: FAILED

Bosses From Hell

She didn’t succeed in her plan.

 

Chaerin glanced helplessly at the desk in front of her eyes as she slowly lifted her head from her makeshift pillow—her folded arms. All the other job applications she had handed in every establishment had shut her out before she could even try to get a word in edgeways, the reminder of the rejections were illuminated by the red stamped word of ‘REJECTED’ on each and every one of the papers lying carelessly on her desk.

 

She just let her head drop back into its original place as a deranged scream escaped into her folded arms. It didn’t help her suppressed emotions of rage and frustration in the slightest bit. There was simply no logic behind these instant rejections. Sure, she might have been a tad on the pushy side but wasn’t that good to show she was at least enthusiastic?

 

The beyond stressed woman tapped her fingers impatiently on her arm. What was she meant to do now? That had completely blown her plan b out of the water before she could even attempt to try it out. Which meant that she had no other alternative job to go to. The clock sitting on her desk shelf was ticking away furiously, the time was fading away at a seemingly rapid speed.  She was running out of time. And fast.

 

However, just when she thought she was going to finally catch a break from all these rejection piles, her eyes were practically on the border of glistening with excitement as she opened up her email account and just right at the very top of the list, read a potential new boss’s response email. But just as her gaze began to drop, mid-reading the first sentence, she gritted her teeth in evident annoyance before shutting the laptop screen down without a second to even care.

 

Yet another rejection. What was she doing wrong? Was the immediate thought coursing through her mind, no matter how many times she tried to find holes in her own CV, there were no plausible reasons for an instant rejection, without even the hint of an interview invitation. In fact, now that she gave it some further thought, none of the companies she had applied to work for had actually given her a proper reason for not giving her the job. The emails or letter were straight to the point, blunt and harsh.

 

The bubble of optimism that was swelling at the beginning of the day was now spluttering its last breaths. No matter how much she wanted an escape route out of this death trap that she knew her new occupation would be, it seemed that nobody was willing enough to give her the opportunities to hand in a notice of resignation to her twelve new bosses.

 

Then again…there’s nothing stopping me from giving them my notice of resignation. The ravenette’s eyes drifted over to the white envelope sitting on her organizer, she could free herself from the permanent headache she knew she could get if she were to even think about starting her job. No, I was forced into accepting this job when I didn’t even want it! They’re egoistic, rude, don’t listen or accept the answer ‘no’ and completely, utterly and frustratingly infuriating.

 

“Yep. That’s exactly what I’m going to do.” She nodded to herself, as if to reassure herself. “I can always just find another job…how hard could that be anyway?” Just as she was about to drop her head back onto her arms to suffice her need to close her eyes, the darkened sky outside her window was already beginning to lighten up slowly as if it was mocking her so she could not even try to catch some sleep before going into the office. In fact, just as she had forced herself not to give a damn about waking up late, considering that she was going to quit her job anyway, she allowed herself to close her eyes.

 

But of course, it didn’t seem that luck was really ever on her side as her alarm clock was beeping noisy, then her phone started to ring which almost deafened her own ears as she suppressed every single urge and fibre in her body to scream to the high heavens.

 

“Don’t even think about skipping work today or going there late, Chaerin-ah.” Was the only thing she heard when she grabbed hold of her phone, before Dara’s ever perky voice was abruptly cut off by the monotonous dial tone.

 

Sometimes, she wished Dara didn’t know her even better than she knows herself. It was scary and dangerous. She inwardly shuddered before compelling herself to get up from her desk chair and prepare herself for the day ahead.

 

The sooner I get today over with, the faster I can actually get into bed and sleep for the rest of the day. That thought alone sounded just like a slice of heaven.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

For some strange reason, things actually seemed to be going right for Chaerin. She couldn’t put her finger on why exactly as she accepted the complementary coffee along with a set of four different other sorts of hot beverages that the black haired woman could not even begin to remember the names of, it was a good thing that Tiffany was kind enough to send her an email just as she was on her way to the office. She shot a wary smile over to the overly cheerful cashier before heading off out the store, when even a stranger had courteously opened it for her before she could even attempt to struggle to pry it open herself.

 

The cat eyed woman walked down the street, trying to picture in her mind where exactly it was she was meant to go. When a voice suddenly called out over the shuffling of fellow pedestrians on the sidewalk and muffled conversations. 

 

“Excuse me, Miss Lee. Your car is waiting for you,” She blinked a few times, as if thinking she was just imagining this whole thing. Was the smartly dressed gentleman by the even fancier looking car really talking to her, or another Miss Lee around? The woman tried to look around, to see if there was an extravagantly dressed woman who possessed a feline-like grace behind her.

 

Much to her own surprise, there was no one turning her heads to look at the driver, who was watching her with a well-kept smile that wasn’t coated with insincerity but of a warmth she was unaccustomed to. With a hesitant step forward, she bowed her head in acknowledgement before she quickly walked around the car to sit next to the driver’s seat, which seemed to surprise the male in question before he easily recovered and returned to his own seat before driving off.

 

Chaerin stared outside the window at the passing scenery, the drive was mostly spent in silence but there were momentary breaks where polite pleasantries were made. But rather than an awkward silence where you had to struggle to even muster up ideas on how to fill the blank gaps, she found that she rather liked the serene moment—to which she would most probably consider a sanctuary over what would eventually happen within the following hour or so.

 

She could just imagine it now, the proud smirk on her face as she dropped the letter which contained her resignation onto the desk, inwardly seeing the expressions of shock and horror struck etched onto each and every one of their faces as she turned around and walked proudly out of the building, when they would have no more control over her life. Chaerin could already taste the freedom, it was so close, but yet still quite far. But it was tangible and that’s all she needed.

 

“You know, I’ve never quite heard the bosses speak as highly of an assistant as they do about you.” The driver stated out of the blue as he turned a corner, giving her a sideways glance as if he knew what she was planning to do. “Dare I say it, it’s quite a refreshing change to see. I do hope to continue hearing great things about you, Miss Lee.”

 

You will, one day. She inwardly nodded to herself as she merely shot him a small unconvinced smile. But just not from this company, at least.

 

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Chaerin felt extremely overdressed and self-aware of her own fashion sense in comparison to the rest of the female workers population in the building. She didn’t need any reminding that her own clothes were shabby and cheap if she stood next to another employee. But that fact doesn’t matter because it’s not like she’s going to continue working there anyway.

 

She didn’t really know what to expect when she first walked into the building. There were hundreds and hundreds of endless possibilities of what could have occurred the moment she stepped through the towering glass revolving doors. Like the fact that the inhabitants of the first floor would look over in her direction, point and laugh at her, as if she didn’t belong there…which in reality, she didn’t. But, if anything, whenever she would turn her head, smiles and greetings were being thrown at her from all directions from people she didn’t even know.

 

Eventually, after finding her way towards the elevator—even when she had inquired regarding directions, she only found that the nerves of what was to come were practically gnawing at her and that she could not even begin to remember coherent sentences enough to try and piece together all the directions spoken to her, she found that there was yet another friendly face waiting for her to step in, before asking which floor she needed.

 

Is it me, or is the staff being a bit too friendly for my liking? It probably wasn’t the best complaint, however, she felt there was something going on behind the scenes she wasn’t aware of. She didn’t know whether she preferred being ignored than having an abundance of attention placed upon her.

 

Though, she wasn’t given a second more to think about it as the elevator doors stopped moving as it opened with a smooth swish to let out the other occupiers of the elevator onto their chosen floor with a brief parting word from the worker. Just as she lifted her head up, her eyes blinked owlishly. This wasn’t the floor she worked on…For a moment, she could feel her heartbeat slowly returning back to its original pace. It won’t be long now…most likely in the next half an hour or so…I can leave this place and never come back.

 

The elevator was just inches away from closing when it suddenly opened again. Chaerin didn’t pay much attention as she was trying to structure out in her mind how exactly she was going to execute her plan to quit. What if I were to just leave the envelope at the main reception desk and run away? She pondered to herself, but then she lightly slapped her forehead at her stupidity. No, of course she couldn’t do that. She would never be able to live it down if she were to act like a coward.

 

I’ve got to hand it to them, personally. I can’t let them change my mind…or confuse me into staying.

 

It was only when she heard a coughing noise at the other end of the elevator that she noticed that she wasn’t the only one, besides the worker, there. The dark haired woman didn’t really bother giving the other a sideways glance. It wasn’t any of her business knowing who they were anyway, it’s not like it even matters now considering that she won’t be working in this establishment in the very near future.

 

“Excuse me, but do you work here?”

 

Chaerin was startled out of her thoughts at the surprisingly soft voice that drifted towards her. She turned her head slightly to the right, where a kind eyed stranger stood with a smile. “…It’s kind of complicated.”

 

A second later, a flurry of expressions flashed across his face. What do you mean? Was the vibe that she had thought he was going to utter as he gave her a once over. But instead, he surprised her with his response.

 

“I see, that’s a shame. Regardless of whatever you plan to do in the future I wish you all the best.” And almost like he had planned the whole confusing fiasco, he seemed to have reached his intended floor and departed with an incline of his head in her general direction.

 

It took Chaerin a few moments to try and collect back her thoughts into coherent sentences…what on earth just happened?

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

This was it.

 

Chaerin was going to do it.

 

All she needed to do was give the envelope—which was already partly crumpled on one side from her tightened hold on the said item—over and it would all be over. The ravenette stared blankly at her reflection in the staff toilets. Oh, who was she trying to kid? Her gaze travelled from her head, from her frizzy, untidy hair, make-up less face, an ordinary white button up shirt, black trousers and flats. Here she was, acting all high and mighty, as they weren’t good enough employers…they were most likely the best she would come across in this field of work…and yet, she was going to throw it all away. She averted her eyes away from the mirror. Maybe this was all just a big, fat joke. Perhaps, they weren’t really serious about giving her the job and this was all just a set up to make her look like an idiot.

 

It felt like an ice bucket of water had just been pour all over her. She gritted her teeth together as a scowl pulled itself onto her face. Not wanting to spend another moment in this building, she quickly stepped out of the room, leaving the lukewarm coffees left on the counter, fully intent on getting out as soon as possible. Chaerin paused mid-step, glancing down at the envelope in her hand, without even a second to hesitate, she chucked it into the nearest bin, before heading off towards the stairs.

 

Tiffany, who had just returned back to her desk, saw a glimpse of black hair before it disappeared behind the doorway to the stairs. She blinked for a moment, trying to recollect in her mind why that girl looked so familiar…she was about to settle into her chair when it seemed to all click. The pretty woman walked quickly once asking a fellow receptionist to cover her—her five inch heels just wouldn’t allow her the ability to at least attempt to jog after the retreating girl. Knowing that she would most likely miss her, she took the elevator. Hoping that luck and fate would be on her side this morning. While a few certain select bosses were beginning to wonder where their new assistant was…

 

 

.

.

.

 

“Chaerin-ah!”

 

The woman in question did not manage to hear the calling as she squeezed through the crowds of the first floor, all her focus and attention was only on getting through the revolving doors. After that, the idea of grabbing a late breakfast didn’t actually sound too bad. Thirty seconds away from freedom.

 

Or maybe I should try and look for more job openings? It would probably be better if I started looking now…the worst thing that could happen is that I get rejected…She tilted her head to the side in contemplation. No, don’t start thinking negatively now! I need to think more optimistically! Who knows? I might even get a job today! Now, ten seconds away.

 

The receptionist had lost count the innumerous amount of times she had repeatingly shouted out apologizes in her haste to catch her fleeting fellow employee. Every time she would advance closer, there seemed to be a crowd of people who would suddenly appear in her way. She nearly cursed out loud in her frustration. With one final forceful push, she managed to step her way until she was a few inches away from the unsuspecting woman. Knowing that Chaerin would most likely be unable to hear anything she said on this busy and disruptive circumstances, she merely grabbed one arm before dragging it towards the ground level café just across from where they were standing.

 

“—What? What do you think you are doing? Get your hands off me!” Once she was fully aware of what was going on, as her only escape was now becoming further and further away, she struggled out of the hold on her arm.

 

“And where do you think you’re going, Chaerin-ah?” That voice…it sounds strangely familiar. The woman in question paused slightly in her struggling as she tried to get a look at her abductor—perfectly styled layer hair, check. With a light coating of make-up painted on her face, as if she was a model herself, check. The feeling of dread had increased tenfold by this point.

 

“—Honestly, I turn my attention away for just a moment or two about to go grab a snack, and the next thing I know, you’re practically running away towards the stairs! Let me tell you, these shoes were not made for running, quick walking perhaps but that’s all it allows—“ That was all the black haired woman managed to catch, upon her train of thought was broken, this secretary sure possessed some kind of inhuman strength since she was dragging back towards the ground floor café with complete ease, a slightly annoyed look crossed her face.  “—would you like to explain to me why you were running away?”

 

But this stage, they had already entered the café, which was bubbling with life with its current inhibitors taking up nearly half of the room. Chaerin inwardly winced, she hadn’t bothered eating anything for breakfast, not like her stomach would even allow it anyway since it felt like it was attempting somersaults and knotting itself silly with pangs of anxiety and worry of the events that would follow on that day. It was almost painful to see plates of delicious pastries all around the room, as if it were mocking her. The pretty woman released a heavy sigh, she could already see that nothing she was saying was going into the distracted girl’s ears. Silently, she ushered the latter to take a seat before she went to order at the cashier.

 

Chaerin did not know at all what to do. She glanced nervously at Tiffany, who was waiting in line to be served. Should I make a run for it now, at least while I have the chance to? She bit her lip, a habit she usually detested, but this time she didn’t even notice it. You can go, you know. You don’t really owe them an explanation. You could always just call in later in the day to say you felt ill, then tell them you’re quitting there and then.

 

It would be so easy, just to get up and leave. The walk to the door wouldn’t even take a minute.

 

After a moment of contemplation, she quietly clicked her tongue. But then, you know yourself, Chaerin that you can’t just leave. Yes, she did know that. It wasn’t in her nature to do something like this, her eyes strayed back over to the receptionist who was beaming brightly at the café worker as she idly told him her order, who seemed to blush at her attentive eyes on him. Within a few seconds later, Tiffany had already made her way back, but this time she was accompanied with two piping hot coffees held in a polystyrene carrier in one hand and a plate of assorted treats in the other.

 

“I saw you eyeing these earlier.” Was the answer the woman gave in response to the stunned, questioning gaze.

 

Tiffany grabbed a sachet of sugar to pour into her own cup of coffee, trying to suppress a smile as she stirred the beverage. The other woman was just staring at the platter of tempting food in utter confusion, as if it was some kind of trick test.

 

“Go on, there’s nothing bad in them…unless you consider sugar and carbs particularly detrimental to yourself.” Realizing that she must have been staring aimlessly, not wanting to seem rude—and not wanting to waste the food either—her taste buds practically sung with unadulterated joy as she took her first bite. The receptionist hide her smile behind her cup.

 

“So, first day nerves, huh?”

 

Chaerin paused mid-bite, feeling like a deer caught in the headlights. What was she supposed to say to that? Actually, I was going emotional turmoil this morning about how this situation would blow when she would submit her resignation form.

 

Nervously, since she didn’t really know what else to do, she merely inclined her head. “Yeah, I guess you could say that.” No, actually, it’s not like that, in the slightest bit.

 

As if expecting this kind of response, the dark haired beauty flourished her hand as if her worries could be easily blown away. “Everyone goes through them, but the first day is usually the easiest one out of the lot—“ That sounds slightly reassuring, I guess? Chaerin’s face dropped instantly. Wait, I’m not supposed to think like this, you are going to QUIT, Chaerin! Don’t let yourself be misled!

 

“However, now that I’m giving it further thought, the amount of assistants your bosses have fired throughout the last month or so, has been more frequent on their very first day.” Tiffany took a brief sip of her drink, acting as if she wasn’t aware that the cat eyed woman’s face was getting whiter and whiter by the second. I’m not sure whether she’s trying to convince me that everything’s going to be alright or that I’m just going to get fired today anyway!

 

“But see, Chaerin-ah, that’s where you are different. You’re going to be fine, you’ve always proved to them that you’re worth something.” The pretty woman placed her free hand over the dark haired in question’s hand with an overwhelming reassuring smile in place. “Now all you have to do is show them that you’re the best person they could have hired.”

 

…This is awkward…now how am I supposed to tell her that I want to resign? Chaerin tried to smile back, though it came out more strained that she would have liked. She inwardly signed as Tiffany continued to chatter away, her gaze strayed for a moment or two at the ticking clock. It’s only a matter of time before she has to see them again.

 

.

.

.

 

 

By the time Chaerin had arrived at the floor where she would be for the day, it seemed to be approaching lunch time.

 

“They should all be in their offices, Chaerin-ah.” Tiffany inclined her head towards the door at the end of the hall on the left of the reception desk with an ever present kind look. The pair exited the elevator and walked onto the floor. After a moment of hesitation, the receptionist digressed upon seeing the anxious look etched on the black haired woman’s face. “Go on, I had someone call in to say you were late due to complications. They were understanding.”

 

That’s not exactly what I’m worried about…

 

Chaerin had to force herself to walk towards the door, a combination of dread and adrenaline was mixing within her. She took several, well needed, deep breaths in an attempt to calm down her nerves until the time came where she was practically standing a few inches away from the door.

 

“—I’ve already told you once, if you haven’t finished your work for this morning that you aren’t getting your lunch.”

 

“Alright, alright, I get it.” All that was heard from the cat eyed woman’s side of the door was consistent grumbles.

 

“Grab me a coffee on your way back, would you?”

 

“If you are capable of getting up to throw things at me, I’m sure you can get your own damn coffee—“ The next thing she knew, the door was swinging outwards at such a velocity that when it came into contact with her face, more specifically her nose, she found herself being thrown backwards. And in an instant, the sudden feeling of pain surged within her as she felt her body being propelled backwards at the impact. She let out a quiet noise as she tried to minimize the fall as much as possible but found that she never touched the ground.

 

She closed her eyes, unable to concentrate on anything else other than the searing pain on her face, she didn’t even realize she was being slowly pulled upwards until she was properly stabilized.

 

“What was that now? I turn my back for a second and you’re already causing trouble!” A voice entered the main hall room, where scattered groups of people seemed to be observing the scene play out before them. This in turn caused Tiffany to spare a glance, only to double back when she realized who Chanyeol was pulling up. She gasped as she stood up instantly to go over there, sensing there was something wrong.  

 

“Chaerin-ssi? Can you hear me?”  Chanyeol tried to coax the woman, who was struggling to keep her eyes open. Every time she tried to keep to steady her gaze, all she was see was practically stars. He inwardly cursed at himself for pushing the door at such a force, he could have hit anyone who was simply just passing by.

 

“I-I’m fine—“ The cat eyed woman tried to reply, though Tiffany gave off the impression of not having any of it, as she ushered the tall curly haired male to take the woman into the room where there would be no prying eyes.

 

“You are obviously not fine, Chaerin-ah, I’ll call for the medic on site.” The receptionist whipped out her phone in what it seemed like a flash and pressed speed dial until she was talking with whoever the medic was, even with the black haired woman trying to protest insistently that she was fine, however everything she was saying was merely falling on deaf ears as Tiffany went to depart from the room.

 

Please don’t leave me alone…That’s what she inwardly called out to the receptionist, the emotions of awkwardness came flooding back as she was ushered to take a seat.

 

“Please know that I am very, very sorry for what I have brought upon you, Chaerin-ssi.” It was only now that she started to notice the towering male before her. She distinctively remembered seeing his face somewhere…but she couldn’t put her finger on where.

 

“No need to apologize, it was an accident.” She felt the need to reassure him, as she noted his look of pure guilt plastered upon his face. To which, he kept insisting that he would cover any medical costs and the like with that distractingly deep voice of his.

 

“I’m terribly sorry for my brother’s behaviour, Chaerin-ssi.” The same voice who came right after Chanyeol had struck her unintentionally, bowed at exactly ninety degrees towards her. She shook her head, simply and utterly baffled upon what was going on. “For the last time, I am absolutely fine. I may have a swollen forehead for a while but that’s probably all I will have.”

 

Maybe I’m just trying to downplay this…She inwardly winced at the continual tidal wave of pain came through the threshold.

 

“The meeting’s not looking too good at the moment.” Yet another face showed up, slightly looking out of breath as if he had been running, but she didn’t pay much attention. It was difficult enough to try and learn a few employer’s surnames, let alone twelve of them.

 

“What do you mean? We had already made an agreement in our last meeting, surely they couldn’t have changed their minds already?” There was a direct sense of incredulity in the voice spoken, this was getting ridiculous. Who are all these people? I know I remember seeing them in the interview room, but there’s bloody lots of them!

 

“We called in all the staff and spent a good forty hours or so going through every single detail of that project, to make sure everyone was spot on and there were no mistakes whatsoever.” Chanyeol, who was kneeling before her, was the epitome of frustration at this point. His handsome face was scrunched up in a displeased frown, something that didn’t seem quite right, almost as if a smile would have suited him more.

 

There was a sigh of resignation. “You know they would pick out a problem even if there wasn’t one there in the first place, that’s how they have always been.” Chanyeol merely clicked his tongue in evident annoyance in response.

 

Chaerin lifted a hand to her forehead, feeling the initiation of an impending headache starting to form. Maybe I should leave them to it so they can deal with whatever problem this is? From the looks of things, it sounds quite serious. They don’t need to be here if they’re needed elsewhere.

 

“Please, don’t stay because you feel obligated to. If there’s something wrong, then by all means, go see to it.” She reiterated her own musing out loud, startling to rest of the occupants in the room as a result—almost as if they simply forgot she was there in the first place. It’s better that way, if they easily forget about me then it would surely be easy to leave.

 

One of the faces that Chaerin was unable to put a name to, strode up towards her purposely. Wordlessly, he reached out and pulled her up so she was standing. “You need to get checked first. Just because there’s an issue hanging over us at the moment doesn’t mean that we will neglect your health, Chaerin-ssi.”

 

“I’ll get treated once you sort out the problem.” She made a compromise, when it became clear that she wouldn’t back down, they agreed disgruntledly. Slowly, they all began to pool out of the room, with Chanyeol keeping her within an arm’s distance as he kept peering over his shoulder now and again to stare at his…their new assistant.   

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

“So, what seems to be the problem here, gentlemen?” The person that Chaerin had assumed to take charge of the situation must have been one of the oldest—even though he didn’t seem in the least bit old. He possessed an air of child-like innocence with a twinkle of mischief in his eyes.

 

“I had initially believed that we had made a final agreement on the project, the deadline of the publishing is within a few days.” From what she could see—which wasn’t much, mind you, considering that all her bosses were considerably taller than her, on the other side of the round table, sat seven men all clad in suits.

 

She blinked, thinking for a brief moment. Was it just her, or did one of them look strangely familiar?

 

There was a look was exchanged between them, in silent understanding. “…There is one slight issue we have with it, we don’t like the model.”

There was a break of pregnant silence. Chaerin’s eyebrows furrowed together, trying to push back the pain from her forehead to the back of her head. She tried to get a look on the big banner at the front of the room, piles of what she could only assume was supposed to be the ‘finished’ project on the desks. She could just about make out the model’s face on the full length poster. She didn’t get it. What was wrong with using this one?

 

“We haven’t got time to pull in another model to meet the deadline, you know as well as us that if we lose out on this project, so do you.” She really couldn’t keep up with all of her bosses, they should think about wearing name tags, otherwise she would never be able to remember their names.

 

But then, she paused in her musings. Wait…I shouldn’t be thinking like that, as if I would actually stay here to work…I just need to get through the day…yes.

 

“This is a regretful situations, however we are unable to agree to this until this issue is sorted out.” There was nothing apologetic in his tone.

 

Chaerin shuffled uncomfortably behind the towers standing in front of her. The tension in the atmosphere was not something that was easy to ignore. Why am I here exactly? It’s not like I could be useful…


“You had enough time to tell us that you were displeased with the project, it would be fair if it was just an article that had to be altered, but there are multiple cover spreads of the model in the project. It would be near impossible to find someone who can fit the criteria we had prior agreed on during the planning stages.”   

“Now come on, let’s not exaggerate. Between your companies and ours, there must be someone who would be perfect for this project.”

 

“…We can bring in as much models as we can, but I’m afraid the majority are overseas for various other projects.” Chaerin frowned. Really? They would call for people who aren’t even on the same continent? How important is this project anyway?

 

“That won’t be necessary, Suho-ssi.” Wait…where have I heard that voice before…?

 

“You there, come over here.”

 

Who was he referring to? Was he referring to Tiffany? Chaerin glanced behind her, only to find that the receptionist wasn’t even in the room. She blinked in confusion. Then…who is this guy talking about? How can he even see where I am?

 

“Yes you, you’ll do just fine.” Slowly and tentatively, the wall of tall men before her started to break away. And suddenly, she wished that they hadn’t moved an inch at all. All the attention seemed to pool over towards her general direction.

 

……what am I supposed to do? Was her first immediate thought, she couldn’t agree to something like modelling, that wasn’t her field of expertise.

 

“No, I’m sorry to tell you this but I’m not the best person for this project.” Stay polite…remember to smile. Yes, that’s right. I’m sure he was just joking anyway. I don’t look anything like a model.

 

“Oh,” There was a deep coating of disappointment—whether it was feigned or genuine, she couldn’t tell—a frown curled on his lips. “Would you care to enlighten me on why that is then?”

 

In an instant moment, her mind blanked and all the confidence poured out in a flash. There was something about his gaze that made her lose focus. Oh…. What the hell have I gotten myself into? Then, in a brief hallelujah moment, realization seemed to dawn on her.

 

“I know of someone who would be the best option you could have as a model for your project.”

 

The man, along with the rest of his colleagues, shot expecting expressions towards her. Her bosses, on the other hand, she didn’t know—for all she knew, they were glaring daggers into her back for causing unnecessary hassle.

 

“I’m sure you have already heard of her, the name’s Sandara Park.”

 

There was a scoff of disbelief from one of the men from across the table. “You mean to tell us that a newbie assistant has links to top models? You’ve got to be kidding me.”

 

“She’s impossible to get in touch with.” Another added in his two cent.

 

What a ing bastard. Doubting me before I’ve had the chance to explain. She suppressed the urge to glare at him as she merely took out her phone as pressed the first speed dial button on her phone, the dial tone was all that was heard before the monotonous sound of ringing was echoed through the loud speaker. Please, of all the times I call you, please pick up the phone! She was beginning to lose hope, especially considering that none of the partners seemed convinced with her in the slightest. 

 

“Ah, I’m sorry Chaerin-ah! I was just in the middle of something, you didn’t skip work did y—“

 

“Listen, Dara, I’ve got a favour I need to ask.” She quickly cut in before anything else would be revealed, ignoring the looks of bewilderment on the partner’s faces. “There’s this really important project that is in desperate need of a model and the deadline is relatively soon, would you consider taking it on?”

 

There was a moment of silence before a tinging sound of laughter poured through the speakers as if Dara was in the room. “Alright then, I’m doing this for you Chaerin-ah! Now you can stop blackmailing me when you’re too lazy to do anything for yourself!”

 

“Okay, I get it. You’re a star, Dara. I’ll speak to you soon.”

 

“Take care, Chaerin-ah! You owe me lunch for this~” And with that, the call ended. Chaerin returned her phone back into its original place, with a straight look she returned her attention back to the formerly smug face that she so desperately wanted to punch.

 

“There we have it, you’ve now got your model sorted. If there is any more problems or concerns, please just let me know and I will deal with them to the best of my ability.” She merely bowed her head slightly, turning to the rest of her bosses, who seemed to be struck at how she had handled the situation.

 

“I’ll be going now, if there’s no other reason for me to be here.” And with that, before anyone could even say a word, she had departed from the room. It was only once she was a reasonable distance from the room that her legs felt wobbly, the feelings of anxiety were building up to a point where she felt slightly breathless. Once again, a reoccurring thought popped up in her mind. What had she just done? For all she knew, she could have made the situation ten times worse than what it was beforehand.

 

Then, it all seemed to hit her all at once. The pain that had lingered in her temple was throbbing painfully. I should really find some aspirin, my head’s killing me right now.

 

Then, as if she were some kind of fairy that kept popping out of nowhere, Tiffany appeared with a little medication box tucked away in one hand and a bottle of water in the other.

 

If Chaerin had felt more delusional to the point where she had no idea what she was doing, she probably would have kissed her for being such a saint in her time of need.

 

“Thought you might need this, especially after saving the project.” She winked at the cat eyed woman, who merely smiled tiredly in response.

“It was nothing really, just thinking on my feet that’s all.” She popped back two pills before washing them down with a couple of gulps of water. Thank goodness for Tiffany…even though I’ve dragged her away from her work too many times. She spared a fleeting glance at the smiling receptionist. It’s too bad that I’m not going to be staying here for long.

 

“I’ve heard they’re already back on track to sort out the modelling session with Sandara-ssi, it was lucky that you had her contact details on hand.” With a nervous laugh, Chaerin merely shrugged it off. “Yeah, I guess so…”

 

The door leading to the meeting room opened, allowing the occupiers to flood out. Chaerin stood slightly behind Tiffany, almost to shield herself from view. I’m sure that they would notice Tiffany than me. Sometimes, being plain did have its advantages.

 

The seven strolled past, not paying much attention to either one of them—much to the black haired woman’s relief. Until one of them glanced over in her direction, his gaze held hers for a moment before he nodded, a slight smile pulling at his lips before he left her line of vision. His startlingly shade of red hair was stained into her memory, but why did he stand out? It wasn’t until the elevator that the seven went inside had departed from their floor that an ever so slight sense of harmony seemed to be restored.    

 

“Chaerin-ssi, would you please come into our office.” This was getting out of hand now. Why, oh why do I have to have twelve bosses? Isn’t just having one enough for employees? As yet another face she couldn’t put a name to called her.

 

Maybe they’re going to fire me? For showing them up perhaps? Or even they might not have wanted Dara to be the model in the first place? Thoughts and thoughts circulated around in her mind, lingering as she nodded in Tiffany’s direction before she walked over to the office room.

 

The scenario was similar to how she had first met her—now present bosses. Most of them were behind the best, though none were sitting down. A few were standing near the doors, much to her own surprise when she stepped inside before the man who had called her had slipped in the room behind her before joining the others.

 

“This won’t take long, Chaerin-ssi.”

 

Yep, they’re going to fire me, alright. Not that she minded at all, it was just she had been nervous for a large proportion of the day, unsure of her future at this organisation. If they were going to fire her, she would have preferred it if they had gotten it over with from the beginning, before they had the gall to offer her the job.

 

“Due to your intervention at the meeting, we’ve had to made a swift change of plans,” One added in, folding his arms over his chest with a blank face, making it difficult to even try to gauge what he was thinking.

 

“For the photo-shoot, it was agreed between both parties that instead of going for the traditional studio with the green screen, we are—“

 

“Oh, you’re taking forever, Kris-hyung, we’re all going abroad, Chaerin-ssi!!” Another threw an arm around her, soon—very soon afterwards, she found herself being hugged from all sides, her hair being tussled from flinging arms and even a few pecks on her cheek.

 

To put it bluntly, she felt violated.

 

“…I don’t understand?” That was the only answer she was able to think of, a befuddled expression taking up the vacant space on her face. What was going on? Why weren’t they firing her?

 

“What’s there not to understand? You pretty much gave us a holiday—“ Baekhyun threw his arms around her, as if in gratitude when Kris cleared his throat.

 

“I don’t need to remind any of you that this is not a holiday. Our priority is making sure the photo-shoot goes as planned.”

 

“Ah, this is just perfect. We get to have bonding time with our new assistant, this is going to be fun!” Sehun deliberately bumped into Baekhyun, thereby replacing his spot with a smug smile.

 

“And we can spend some time at the beach.” The tanned male, Kai noted with a sneaky grin. The implications of his statement were obvious in her eyes.

 

“I prefer staying indoors.” She shot him a flat look.

 

“While you’re with us, we’ll take you any place your heart desires, Chaerin-ah~” Xiumin, the apparent oldest of the group chirped out.

 

It was made blatantly obvious that she wasn’t going to have a say in this. She released a drawn out sigh. Chaerin wasn’t sure whether she was annoyed or glad that she still had her job, for now at least.

 

“But before anything! We’ll need to take you shopping, Chaerin-ssi!” With narrowed eyes, she scowled. Oh hell no. I don’t like shopping with Dara, so there’s no way I’ll be shopping with any of you.

 

Suho, the one she noticed smiles a lot, patted her shoulder. “It’s easier to go along with them sometimes, I’ve had to learn it the hard way unfortunately.”

 

Perhaps he could be a potential ally, if needed? Then she returned her gaze back towards the rest of them, scattered arguments popping up every now and again between a few groups.

 

Chanyeol shuffled over, looking lanky and awkward as ever. “I look forward to working with you, Chaerin-ssi.”

 

“As long as you don’t plan on knocking any more doors into my face.” She made a poor attempt at a joke, though it seemed that the rest of the possessed ears like bats as they all hounded on the poor curly haired male with a few coming over to check up on her.

 

I wonder how long exactly I’ll have this job for…maybe it was fate that I’m still here? Or just stupid luck. Whatever it was that was keeping her here, she supposed that she might as well go for the ride. Who knows where it would take her, if she would let it happen? 

 

.

.

.

 

Um, honestly I wasn't planning on doing any additional work for this, but... it just kind of happened. 

So, yeah..hope you guys like it, I know there's not much interaction whatsoever, I didn't think it would be realistic for them to act close at this stage, who knows? Maybe more chapters will come out....

Maybe. 

Until next time guys, take care~