Homecoming

Slice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prompt: Homecoming
Character: Jessica Jung
Word Count: 446

 

She’d managed to distract herself for more than a year.

It wasn’t that the other things she’d been doing to occupy her time wasn’t of interest of her. Hell, they were things she thought and believed she wanted more than anything; wanted enough to say goodbye to all that she’d known all those years. She wanted to make a name for herself. She wanted to do something for herself.

She just wanted to be herself.

Sure, there were many bumps and pits along the path she’d taken (one too many, if she may say so) and many of the proverbial roses she’d passed by, touched, and eventually left behind had their fair share of thorns that pricked her. But she came out better, hadn’t she? This new her was achieving so much than that naïve little girl she used to be. This new her had seen more, done more, experienced more– she had been more that whatever she thought she could be.

But she should’ve known that there were things she couldn’t escape, things that no matter how hard she denied were at her core.

She tried her to stay away, not wanting to be assaulted by memories she’d left locked in the past. She didn’t want to hear the voices in her head – eight, in fact. Nine if you include her own – that lingered even when she deleted song after song in her playlist.

She thought singing again was going back to who she was.

But it called to her so strongly tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter