Detention

Detention

 

Park Chanyeol has a huge crush on the new transfer student. Usually, his handsome features and his charming personality can get him anybody he lands his eyes on.

To be accurate, they can get him anybody, but Byun Baekhyun.

(´・_・`)

It doesn’t take much time for Chanyeol to realize that his pretty eyes won’t make Baekhyun fall for him, because every time they make eye contact, the taller boy is the first one to snap his head to the side and look at the plain white school walls that suddenly look oh so interesting. And every time, he hopes that Baekhyun thinks that his cheeks and the tip of his ears are red from the hot temperature.

But Chanyeol is a fool and Baekhyun knows better. To put it simply, it’s not really hot in winter. Chanyeol can’t trick him. He’s a straight “A” student after all.  

(^O^)

One day after school, Chanyeol finds himself in the library. He doesn’t know how he ended up in here since the library is the last place where he wants to be. It’s full of incomprehensible books, full of nerdy students who wear glasses and full of mean-looking librarians who always tell him to be quiet when he’s forced to come by one of his teachers. To make it simple, the library is awful.

Oh, he remembers now. This week, he got scolded four times by his math teacher for slacking in his class, so he came to the library to get his homework done. He takes a quick look at the sheet of paper and sees three symbols that he recognizes as pi, radius and square root. As his gaze goes lower and lower down the paper, Chanyeol finds himself frowning and even scowling because , there are tons of other bizarre symbols that he never saw before. He knows he won’t make it for the final exam, but he also knows that his math teacher made a horrible typo and laughs loudly, earning some glares from the librarians.

But really, how could his teacher mistake the weird symbol  for the number 8? Chanyeol feels relieved, because he’s not as bad in math as his teacher thinks he is, so he continues giggling. Soon enough, a librarian walks up to him and asks him to leave the library quietly.

(⌒-⌒; )

When he gets home, the tall boy lets himself fall into the comfort of his bed, not willing to work on his homework. He doesn’t get a thing that’s written on the sheet of paper, so what’s the point of even trying? Minutes later, Chanyeol’s mind wanders and he starts thinking about the petite boy who captured his heart without effort. He feels like he’s going crazy because really, Baekhyun is all he ever thinks about.

He doesn’t remember how it all started, but he knows that the first time his childhood friend Jongdae introduced him to the new transfer student, his heart started beating violently against his ribcage and he had to excuse himself, too afraid that both boys could hear the loud thumping inside his chest. He tries to remember what happened next and when he does, he groans loudly and pulls his hair out of frustration.

(ー ー;)

Back then, being the airhead he was (and still is, but he doesn’t want to believe it), he said something about having to go to the bathroom before turning around and pushing the first door he saw which, unfortunately, was the one that lead to the girls’ bathroom and changing room. A few high-pitched screams, a loud and clear slapping sound, along with Chanyeol’s deep-voiced sorry’s were heard from the inside of the room. Soon after, the helpless boy came out pouting, with his shoulders slumped, his hair completely disheveled and a hand-shaped spot flaming red on his right cheek.

Later that day, when Chanyeol and Jongdae reached the latter’s house, Chanyeol waved goodbye to his best friend with his left hand (because the right one was busy pressing an icepack to his hurt cheek) before crossing the lawn that separates their houses. When Jongdae judged that the distance separating them was safe enough, he called Chanyeol and told him that, earlier at school, Baekhyun was about to grab the tallest boy’s arm before it was too late, but that he couldn’t because Jongdae, being the troll he is, stopped him from doing so. After revealing his little secret, Jongdae laughed at him when he saw his jaw drop and quickly unlocked the door to his house when he noticed that a fuming Chanyeol was stomping his way towards him.

Σ(・□・;)

Chanyeol sighs, slaps away the bad memories and rolls on his bed. He thinks and thinks harder, trying to find some way, or more like any way that could possibly make Baekhyun fall in love with him, because it was unfair, wasn’t it? Chanyeol tripped for the petite boy a long time ago, while the other was still standing on his two feet.

That night, before going to bed, Chanyeol swears to himself that someday, Baekhyun will trip for him. Smiling like an idiot, he slips into his bed and visits Dreamland seconds later.

(^ω^)

The next day, the tall boy gets scolded for the fifth time this week. He didn’t complete his math homework that was due today, so his teacher asks him to come to his office during lunchtime. At said time, Chanyeol drags himself to his teacher’s office, mentally ready to go deaf after the nagging that he will receive. The boy honestly expects to be yelled at, so it comes as a terrifying surprise when he hears his teacher sighing before telling him to find a math tutor who could force some math-related things into his thick skull before the final exam.

When Chanyeol gets out of the office, an idea pops up in his head. Sometimes, he thinks that he’s a real genius that nobody wants to acknowledge.

ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

Chanyeol thinks that today is his lucky day because, after lunchtime, he finds himself seated in his literature class. He also believes that he’s going insane – he hates literature even more than math and the old boring woman that teaches the said subject hates him too since he doesn’t care at all about poetry, words, AABB, ABAB, ABBA, or whatever these letters form together.

Wasn’t ABBA a popular Swedish music band? Chanyeol asks himself what its name is doing here, written on the chalkboard of his literature classroom. After all, they’re Korean, not Swedish.

(He'll probably raise his hand to ask his teacher during class.)

( ・o・)ノ

Nonetheless, he’s insanely happy because, during his literature class, he gets to sit behind Baekhyun, while Jongdae takes the seat to Chanyeol’s left. It’s the only class that the three of them have in common, but at the time being, Chanyeol doesn’t really care about Jongdae. The tall boy thinks he is somewhat being mean with his best friend, so he sends him an apology by telepathy. But really, what can he do about it? It’s not his fault if math isn’t Jongdae’s forte, while the boy sitting in front of him happens to excel in every subject.

When the bell rings and announces the beginning of the class, Chanyeol opens his math notebook and takes out a pen from his pencil case. His literature teacher is astonished when she realizes that Chanyeol will, for the first time this semester, jot down some notes during her class. Happy, she greets her students, starts her lecture with an excited voice, turns around and writes some rhymes on the chalkboard when she hears a loud ripping sound. Her hopes are instantly crushed when she sees Chanyeol tearing a page from his notebook before ripping it into a dozen of small pieces. She sends him a death glare, but her student never catches it. He’s too busy thinking about how he’ll convince Baekhyun to tutor him in math to actually give his teacher a little bit of attention.

(^◇^;)

Baekhyun and Chanyeol aren’t really friends. It’s more like Baekhyun is friends with Jongdae and Jongdae is friends with Chanyeol. The tall boy never really had enough courage to approach his love interest. He already messed up and embarrassed himself the first time they met and he doesn’t want that to happen anymore. He’s also too scared of stuttering in front of Baekhyun, because hell, the petite boy’s beauty always left him searching for his words and gaping at him like a fish that was taken out of water. Therefore, Chanyeol settles for a classic method – he writes a short message on a piece of paper, crumples it into a small projectile and throws it in Baekhyun’s fluffly hair.

Chanyeol never understood that he had to throw the paper ball smartly for Baekhyun has to catch it. Thus, he never realized that throwing it in Baekhyun's hair was perfectly pointless. His solution - throwing more paper projectiles.

Well, it's not his fault, right? After all, Chanyeol is nowhere near smart so he can't be blamed. And Baekhyun is clever, so he’ll realize soon enough, won’t he?

(*^o^*)

From the side, Jongdae watches the scenario with amused eyes. For a while now, he has noticed Chanyeol’s behaviour towards Baekhyun and from the looks of it, his best friend has quite a crush on the pretty boy. What’s more interesting is that he also realized that it wasn’t totally one-sided, because Baekhyun always acted differently around Chanyeol, but the latter never sees it because he’s too dense, obviously. Jongdae knows that Baekhyun feels something for the giant who sits behind him. He sees Chanyeol throwing more paper balls at Baekhyun and smirks when the latter’s usual pale face turns red in an instant. The tall boy’s last paper projectile is thrown with a little bit more strength than the previous ones and hits Baekhyun’s soft spot at the back of his neck, making him moan out loud during the lecture.

Frustrated by the fact that her lesson was interrupted, the old teacher snaps a piece of chalk into two while finishing writing a sentence on the board, turns around and scans the classroom quickly in order to find the culprits. She spots tons of paper balls on the floor, lying everywhere around the desk of a flushed Baekhyun and she also notices that the little devil Chanyeol is trying to feign innocence. Before she dismisses the class, she announces that Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun are to stay in detention after school.

When they get out of the literature classroom, Baekhyun sighs, Chanyeol groans and Jongdae, well… Jongdae doesn’t have to stay in detention with his two idiotic friends, but he doesn’t want to be hit by the two of them either, so he stifles his laugh with a lot of difficulty.

ヽ(;▽;)ノ

During detention, neither Baekhyun nor Chanyeol tries to speak to the other. The awkward and heavy atmosphere surrounding them prevents them from striking up a conversation. However, the taller boy wants to talk to Baekhyun. Well, to be honest, he has to. He needs to explain why he threw paper projectiles to Baekhyun and has yet to convince the petite boy to tutor him in math or else he’ll fail the course miserably. Chanyeol feels extremely guilty too, for he is the reason why the straight “A” student is stuck in detention with him for three hours, on a Friday afternoon. Above anything else, he wants to apologize to the boy for being so stupid and dragging him down with himself. He wants to do all of that, but somehow, the right words just won’t come out of his mouth. Many times, he sighs and ruffles his hair, frustrated. He lifts his head up from the blank paper on which he has to write his apologies to his literature teacher and takes a look at the pretty boy sitting next to him who has already filled out an entire page with his neat handwritting.

With two hands as beautiful as his, it’s no wonder that he has an equally beautiful handwritting, Chanyeol thinks to himself. Or so he thinks, because soon after, he notices Baekhyun’s slightly pink cheeks and understands that he voiced out his thought. Utterly embarrassed, he slams his head on the desk before the other boy can see him turn as red as a boiled crab. Baekhyun is startled by his action, but manages to laugh. He lightly taps Chanyeol’s shoulder twice before receiving a mumble from the younger.

 

“Mhm?”

“Are you okay, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun says, his voice filled with worry.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” the tall boy casually answers before lifting his head up, trying to look cool and nonchalant.

“Well… You just willingly slammed your head on the desk and your forehead is red. Doesn’t it hurt? Do you want me to go get you an icepack from the nurse’s office?”

“Why are you so kind?” Chanyeol mumbles after a moment of silence.

“What?” Baekhyun flushes even more.

 

Still not looking at Baekhyun, Chanyeol takes a deep breath and releases everything that has been on his mind.

 

“I’m so sorry, Baekhyun. I really didn’t want you to get into trouble. I didn’t want any of this to happen. Well, no. That’s not entirely true, because… I did want to get closer to you, but not during detention. That’s so lame. Oh god, I’m so lame.”

 

The younger boy slams his head on the desk once again and groans when he feels the sharp pain. Baekhyun chuckles and smiles this time. That afternoon, he discovers that a nervous Chanyeol is actually an adorable Chanyeol.

 

“To be honest, these paper balls I threw to you… I mean, I threw them to you because…”

“Because…?”

“…I like you,” he whispers after a while.

 

Chanyeol says it so softly that Baekhyun isn’t sure if he heard him right. He truly hopes that his ears didn’t trick him, wishes that what Chanyeol said is what he longs to hear.

There’s a long silence before Chanyeol realizes that he just confessed his love to Baekhyun. He starts panicking because he’s afraid that he might have disgusted the other boy and he doesn’t want to lose him, so he tries to cover everything up with the first thing that comes out from his stuttering mouth.

 

“I m-mean, as a f-friend! I li-like you as a friend. Right? We’re friends, aren’t we Baekhyun?”

 

Baekhyun releases the breath that he has unconsciouly been holding up until now, relieved that he didn’t hear wrong the first time. Chanyeol really did say that he liked him earlier. The petite boy smiles, because the taller boy is so cute when he’s not being honest.

Baekhyun can’t wait any longer, can’t resist anymore. If Chanyeol can’t be honest with him, he’ll be the one to knock some sense into him. Fired up, he gets up from his chair, grabs Chanyeol’s face with his hands and pulls him for their first kiss.

The younger’s eyes are wide as saucers, for he can’t believe that his biggest crush is kissing him. Soon after, he relaxes into the smaller’s touch and closes his eyes before kissing him back. The two of them are breathless when they get away from each other. Butterflies are tickling them from the inside and they feel at ease.

 

“So… you like me, huh?” Baekhyun boldy asks. He wants to hear it from Chanyeol’s mouth once again.

“I do.” Chanyeol answers without hesitation this time. He even flashes his brightest smile to the older boy.

“Well, you’re lucky because I like you too!” Baekhyun replies with a big smile of his own.

 

They’re not stuck in a one-sided love anymore. They’re only stuck in detention.

(-_-;)