1/1

Miss Weird

   This day, another day of going to this death trap called school. My daily routine is killing me.  Nothing ever excites my day, I really have an uninteresting life but this woman from the same class… man, I bet she’s the opposite. She’s the whole definition of weird. A lady who eats alone, sits at the back in classes, with very pale skin, being so awkward around people, does not speak at all, she’s always distracted in classes but aces tests like a pro and don’t get me started on her hair; long brown, straight hair covering three fourths of her face.

   It’s been only 2 months since I’ve observed this new student. I don’t even know her name; I’ve never had the privilege to ask. I’ve been an observer. Does that mean I find her interesting? Befriending this girl would be the answer to my questions and could even change my boring life.

   “Hey dude!” Chanyeol shouted: He’s loud as ever. Park Chanyeol, the basketball captain of my school’s team. He’s arrogant but sweet, messy but fun to be with. We’re not that close because he’s a senior but I am best friends with his younger sister, Park Eunmi.
   I knocked out of my senses, taking my eyes off of the weird girl. “What?” I looked to the elder’s side.

   “Your mouth has been opened for a minute or two”

   I was unconscious of my own movements. My mouth closed and I fixed my posture. “Sorry.” I apologized.

“What were you thinking of anyway?” The senior had curious eyes.

“I was looking, I mean –I was thinking about something” I made a loser excuse.

“Thinking about Miss Weird over there?” Chanyeol laughed, lightly slapping my arm.

I was speechless. “What? Pssh, No!” I rolled my eyes at him, trying not to look like a liar. What “Miss Weird”? I asked myself.

“Better not or else your reputation would be a big doom” he said with a pat on my back and left at once.

   I glared at him without making him see. Noticing what he calls ‘Miss Weird’ won’t be so bad for my reputation. If it is, I don’t really care. What’s with people and popularity these days? I was just willing to find her story out and at least hear her voice.

***

   “Sehun Oppa!” Eunmi was happily calling me.

I faced her, seeing an eye smile. “What?”

“Kim Donghyun asked me out and I need a new dress and—“ She was out of breath.

I held both of her shoulders with a brotherly smile. “I’m not going to do girl stuff with you”

Her lower lip puffed into a pout. She’s going to force me sooner or later. Predictable as ever.

  I turned back at the class and saw her. Miss Weird, huh? More like mysterious. She faces her desk as if her head is not allowed to look at other things anymore. Her hair is again, and as always, covering her face. It makes me wonder what she looks like. Could she be ugly or just really pretty? It could be either.

   I noticed Eunmi looking at me, then at Miss Weird then back at me. “What’s with Cha Naeyoon, eh?” she teased.

“I was thinking of talking to her” I stated, being honest to her.

My friend’s face became into a big D-E-R-P. It only reminded me of her brother. “What?” I questioned.

“C’mon, let’s go talk to her” Eunmi tugged my blazer.

“No! No! No thanks” I was resisting when she was forcefully insisting.

   She shot me an annoyed look as if I was so immature –which I’m not. It got my nerves reacting fast and my heart thumped quickly, thinking that I’ll be talking to her for the very first time.

Without thinking, I already walk towards her with Eunmi beside me. “Um, hey” I nervously greeted her.

She remained still, it’s like she didn’t even hear me.

“What’s her name again?” I whispered to Eunmi.

“Cha Naeyoon” She whispered back.

“Cha Naeyoon-ssi” I called her.

Naeyoon quickly lifted her head up which startled us. It was frightening like a horror movie but I still tried to smile at her to make a good first impression.

“Holy mother of Sadako” Eunmi was still scared.

I poked Eunmi’s arm with my elbow, warning her not to say that kind of thing. I stared at Naeyoon, I only see one fourth of her right eye but no doubt, it was looking at mine.

“I want, I mean… We want to make friends with you” Eunmi’s face was smiling and I sensed Miss Weird’s gulp. She’s nervous as we are, I could tell.

   “Hmm,” I leaned forward to see her face. Examining her movements, she seems to lean away and her eye is obviously avoiding mine.  I was about to move her hair away from her face until someone laid hands on my back.

“What are you doing?” a familiar voice said from behind me.

I leaned back to look at Chanyeol. “Oppa! What are you doing here?” Eunmi exclaimed.

“Yeah, you can’t just barge in here” I agreed.

He puts his hands in his pockets, acting cool and such as always. As if he owned the school. “I saw you and with…” his eyes pointed at Naeyoon who was clueless of what’s happening.

And with that, Naeyoon freaked out and stood up. Chanyeol stared at her and raised his brows. The girl was surprisingly either stunned or shocked by the way she looks at Chanyeol. She bumps the back of her thigh on her chair.

   “I’m off. Bye guys, bye Miss… Weird” Chanyeol wandered off, leaving freaked out Naeyoon with us. Eunmi smirked while gazing up on me.

“Ah, I see now.”

“What?”

“Yah, Naeyoon-ssi!” she said to the other girl with a gossiper’s tone. “Do you like my brother?”

   I was surprised. I can’t believe Eunmi would be so straight forward. I searched for Naeyoon’s body reactions to what Eunmi has asked; looking at her sparkling big brown eye… it was remarkable. It wasn’t scary at all. I saw that she wanted to answer the question but something’s pulling her against her will.

“I think she does” I jumped to conclusions

“I knew it!” Eunmi jumped around in joy, knowing that finally someone would like her arrogant brother. “We have a lot to fix if you want to end up with my brother.”

   Naeyoon was speechless. I bet she’s not used to people talking to her. Gosh, I want to know much about her. This should be really interesting. “We’ll help you.” I said.

   There was a short pause before she could answer. She had the idea processed in her mind. And afterwards, she slowly nods. She approved. We’ll see where this goes.

***

   After school, I’m sure I’ve already gained Naeyoon’s trust especially when we invited her to go out with us. Eunmi suggested doing Naeyoon’s makeover at her so called Mansion. Her parents’ own a big business that has been one of the most successful foreign companies in Korea which makes Eunmi a very rich girl. While my family’s international company helps with the import and export of Samsung mobiles to other places.

   Once I saw the scenery of a big wide mansion filled with diamond incrusted decorations, I knew we’re here. I peeked at Naeyoon who was in the middle in the car. She was looking down again, her hair was blocking her face, and each of her fingers was moving nervously.

   “We’re here” Eunmi smiled as her butler opened the door for her. She hopped out of the car and I quickly opened the door from the other side of the car and escorted Naeyoon out.

   Naeyoon and I walked over to the door. I saw Eunmi looking for something in her car. “Naeyoon? Miss Weird?” Eunmi called for her. I tapped her back and she faced me. “Oh! There you guys are.” She giggled and proceeded inside.
   We followed her into the mansion where tons of housemaids were actually waiting. It’s not the first time I was here but it surprises me that the numbers of housemaids are increasing. “Hello Everyone! Meet my friend, Cha Naeyoon. I’ll be giving her a big makeover so please prepare the finest materials for her face, body, and clothing and…” she tilted her head, observing her every detail. “…her hair.”

   Naeyoon was still looking down while the housemaids and Eunmi were in motion. “Dear,” Eunmi approached her. “If you don’t keep your hair out of your face, I’m pretty sure you’re going to get lost in this mansion.”
I quickly faced in front of her as if I volunteer into lifting her hair away from her face. “It’s okay, a little light won’t hurt you.” I whispered to her.

   Now for the moment of truth, I slowly dug my fingers in her hair and separated them like I’m opening a curtain. I observed her face for a while. She was looking down, avoiding the light. Her face was very pale; I could see her flawless rosy cheeks, small pink lips and those innocent eyes that shine through the reflection of the golden light of the chandelier. Her face was natural; no make-up at all and by the she was already beautiful in my eyes.

   “I don’t get you. You’re pretty but why do you hide your face?” Eunmi wondered.

“Everything’s ready Madame” one of the housemaids said.

   Eunmi clung unto Naeyoon’s arm, leaving Naeyoon shocked and repeatedly batting her lashes at her arms and Eunmi’s. I remained frozen, staring at Naeyoon while the girls went straight forward upstairs. “Aren’t you going too?” Eunmi called my attention. I quickly turned my direction to where she was standing.  “C’mon, silly!” she said and led Naeyoon to one of the doors in the second floor.

  While I was going to the room where the girls are, I can’t help but think of so many question to ask Naeyoon. Why on earth does she hide from everyone? Why doesn’t she speak up?

“Hello? Eunmi” I called out as I walk in the room.

“Over here!” I heard her small voice over at the right side of the damn large room.

“What is this room?” I asked in a very curious manner as I see girl stuff on the table, a chair which Naeyoon was standing next to and Eunmi who was holding a pair of scissors.

“What are you a stylist?” I added.

She nods and I was speechless. Eunmi made Naeyoon sit down and tried a bunch of accessories on her while I was playing games on my phone, pretending not to pay attention.

“Hm, You love your hair on your face” she tapped the comb on her lip gloss stained lips. “I’ll give you bangs, is that fine with you?”

Naeyoon with bangs? Hm, I can’t imagine.

   And after 20 minutes of styling Naeyoon’s hair, it was finally done. “Tada!” Eunmi showed me the new Naeyoon. She still had that long brown hair but this time she had full bangs plus it became shinier. “How is it?” the ‘stylist’ asked. Eunmi placed the comb down.

“Beautiful.”

“What?”

“I said it was…” I was lost for words. “It looks better this way.”

Eunmi was smiling at Naeyoon. She’s proud of what she has done. As for her face, Eunmi thought she was already pretty. And of course, I agreed with her. She then proceeded to her clothes.  I sat down as they went inside what Eunmi calls ‘her closet room’. Maybe, I’ll give my opinion on how Naeyoon would look on this and that.  The idea sends anticipation to my veins.

  After a few moments of waiting, Eunmi walked out with Naeyoon behind her. “Exhibit A” Eunmi smiled and showed me Naeyoon. Crap.

She was wearing a white top, a black leather jacket, a peach ruffled skirt plus black heels with a lot of studs. I can’t help but notice she was trying to cover her long, flawless and white legs. How cute.

“I don’t think she likes short skirts” I told Eunmi.

They then proceed back to the room and came back after a few minutes. “Exhibit B”

  She appeared to me wearing a striped crop top, skinny jeans and sneaker pumps. Double Crap. Her stomach was flat and it unbelievably had those 11 shaped abs. But for a while she covered them with her hands.

   When Eunmi yelled Exhibit C, she was pulling Naeyoon out but she was resisting. Eunmi was obviously going to win this. Apparently, she did. By force, Naeyoon fell on the floor, letting me see her. Exhibit C was a short black tube dress and black super high heels. And’s Naeyoon’s skin was exposed. Ah, .

   I lend her my hand. Naeyoon looked up and hesitated but eventually grabbed it. She was out of balance when I lifted her up making her fall into my arms. Her hands were gripping hard on my shoulders and I could breathe her scent; a very sweet scent that could captivate an army.

   Without any warning, Naeyoon pulled away quickly, pushing me backward and ran to the room where she slams the door before her. “Eunmi-ah”
“What?”
“She’s going to ask your brother out, not go to club.”
“Ah. Hehe, Sorry.  I’ve always wanted someone to dress up with… I got caught away” she followed Naeyoon to the room.

   For a while, the door of the room opened. This time Naeyoon was out first, wearing a long sleeved mini dress, black stockings and brown combat boots. “How’s this? She picked it out herself.” Eunmi said while following her out of the fitting room.

“Perfect” I said softly.
“I think so too” she pinched the other female’s cheek.
“You’ll wear that on your date with my bro” she continued.

   My lips curved into a smile seeing that she’s comfortable with what she’s wearing right now. “Now dress up. Tomorrow, I’ll focus on how to make you speak up. Do you understand?” Eunmi clung unto Naeyoon’s arm and the silent one nods to whatever she was saying.

***

   “Can I take you home?” I asked Naeyoon. She blinked rapidly, staring up at me without any reply. “It’s really dangerous for you to walk home at night” I expounded. Naeyoon’s eyes turned to the window, seeing the dark sky. I knew we’re not that close yet but I needed to keep her safe. I don’t know why. Maybe because she’s girl.
  “You can take my bro’s motorbike.” Eunmi gave me the keys, unhesitant. “Thanks” I grabbed onto the keys and still waited for Naeyoon answer. “Are you coming?”
   She nods slowly. My mouth twisted into a smile.
“Let’s go” I held her by her hand. “Where’s your bro-“ and before I could continue, I noticed she slid her hand away from mine. I looked at her and scanned her aura. “I see,” I continued. “You’re not comfortable with men”. I was still gazing down at her innocent eyes.
   “Naeyoon-ie! You can trust Sehun. He’s my best friend. Trust him.” Eunmi encouraged her.

   I held out my hand again, trying one more time. I was making her choose a decision. She lifted hers up but she’s biting her lower lip and her eyes were anxious telling me that she’s in doubt.
   My hopes were decreasing but it came to surprise me when I felt her small soft hands on mine. We then said goodbye to Eunmi and hopped on Chanyeol hyung’s bike.
   She typed on her address on her phone. Can’t she just talk? And we went on our way. Her grip on my body was light. I bet she still feels uncomfortable. Knowing that she’s man hater makes me curious why and I find myself jealous of how Chanyeol’s the guy she likes. Out of all guys, why him?

   A few minutes later, she slowly moves her arms away from my waist. I peeked a little at the back to see what she’s up to. I smiled, seeing that she loved the breeze. Her hair was blown by the wind but she didn’t care, her eyes were closed, her arms up in the sky, and a smile was creeping up on her face. But the beautiful view stopped when we went in a tunnel for a short while. Her hands were lying at my back while she’s slouching.

“Are you afraid of the dark?” I asked while trying to manage the bike. I glanced at her shortly and focused on the road. She was looking at me with dumbfounded eyes. So was that a “yes”?

    After a while, she pointed at the small building in between two taller buildings. I stopped in front of the place. She got out of the bike but she eventually tripped while she was moving her right foot. I immediately took her hand, preventing her from falling.
   She stared at me with those big brown eyes; they were still shining, thanks to the moon. And as expected, she lets go certainly.  Her awkward stared are just worth smiling about. She bows down and faces the entrances. But I still want to talk to her; I have a lot to ask. She can’t just leave with a bow.

   My limbs automatically followed her. I grabbed both of her shoulders and spin her around to face me. Her face looked frightened but I couldn’t care less. I wasn’t going to harm her anyway.
   I slid the phone out of her pocket and opened it. She was just observing me. “Yah, why don’t you have a passcode? It’s very dangerous if you don’t have one, people can access private necessities with a piece of cake” I scolded her as if I was her brother.

   To my surprise, she rolled her eyes.

   I tapped in my phone number and saved it. “I want you to know that you’re not alone and whenever you’re in trouble, just call. And maybe after a while, I could hear your voice” I handed her phone back.
   She was looking at me suspiciously and gives me several nods until she faced back and went inside the apartment building. Then I went home happy that I can communicate with Miss Weird.

***

   In my gray painted room, the lights were . I was in my sleeping clothes, looking at my phone, tapping it once in a while, having hopes that maybe Naeyoon would text or call. It was 12’oclock midnight when I realized my mistake. Maybe I should’ve gotten her number as well. Aish. “At least text me good night.”

   Then I thought maybe, I could pick her up from her home and go to school together. But wait, how come I’m trying so hard just to be with her? That’s not cool. I’m interested in her in a way that I want to get to know her and help her with Chanyeol hyung. That’s all.

   The next time I opened my eyes, It was already morning. Surprisingly, my mom was there spreading the curtains apart. The rays of the sun shined through my eyes, it left me squinting them. “Ya! I know I locked the door last night.” I snapped at her.

“I’m your mom. I have the keys to all facilities here. I see you smiling in your sleep minutes ago. Good morning anyway.”
“I was?”
Good morning.”
“Aish. Good morning” I rolled my eyes.

“Yes, you were.” My mom walked away then.

That’s first. My thoughts were just about Naeyoon, texting me. “Right!” I snapped and checked on my phone.

Still.No.Messages.

Oh God. Stop it, Sehun. Get a grip; you’re fussing about it too much. I sat up and looked at my phone once again. My inbox is filled with messages from flirty girls at school. Shoot. I noticed the clock; it was 6:45 already. So then, I flew to the bathroom and prepared for school quickly.

***

   I arrived at school, 10 minutes late. At least the Morning Prayer was done. I entered the classroom carelessly and stopped at the door when I noticed that an awkward silence occurred and the teacher had a very blank stare. “Good morning, Mr. Oh”

“Morning” I said, with one strap of my backpack on my right shoulder. I felt like a douche. He’s obviously trying to embarrass the crap out of me.
“You’re late.” He said as if it’s the first time I was. “I know.”

“Why?” He lifts those eyebrows. Gosh, I want to burn them. I looked around the room, stopped at the side where Naeyoon was seated. Many male students were checking her out. Well this is outrageous.

“Mister Oh” he called my attention.

“Overslept.”

He rolled his eyes. He was used to it anyway. Did I even have to answer? “Take your seat.”

   I moved to the seat beside Eunmi. She was smiling at me and my eyes were looking at her judiciously. “What?”

“Naeyoon has a lot of admirers now” she whispered.

“Make sure Chanyeol’s one.”

“Of course.” She smiled with much merriment.

   We had to make sure that Chanyeol hyung would like her like all of the other guy students at my class. I got to admit, she looks prettier today. She was wearing a black headband. And dazzled, erted stares were given to her. It frustrates me to see her freaked out or uncomfortable. It makes me want to rip their eyes off.

   During the class, I couldn’t focus on what the teacher was talking babbling about. The more I look at Naeyoon, the more men look at her too. They only notice her now because she became gorgeous. Well to think of it, we did improve her looks so she can get noticed by the one she likes but I did not agree on this for her to be noticed by others. Eunmi did a good job… or maybe too good.

   The class ended with a page full of scribbles and doodles. My classmates all stood up; it’s recess time, all students rushed in the cafeteria.

   Eunmi and I walked around school with Naeyoon. We are going to help her speak up, afterwards, socialize with other people. “So can we pretty please hear your voice?” Eunmi delightfully requested.
I stood there, waiting for her to react. Her lips parted but nothing, no sound came out.

“Are you d--… Can you speak?” Eunmi thought she couldn’t. I realized something I should do to find out. I approached her slowly and tickled her waist.
   She squeaked and let out the cutest giggle I could ever hear. I knew it. The moment my lips curled into a smile, I stopped tickling her. She was adorable.

   Her smile is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever witnessed. “Hey… speak up” I said to her.
She stared at us while our patience grew. “Wha—what am I… supposed to say?”

She looks and even sounds innocent. And I thought she was cold and creepy. “There we go!” Eunmi was happy to finally hear her voice. Naeyoon looked embarrassed though. My female friend tilted her hand. “Why don’t you speak often?”

“No one… likes me… as… a person… so um--…. I had no reason… to speak or… even talk…” her voice was shaky.

“You should have talked, people would probably like you” the other female said.

But Naeyoon looked down and remained silent. “So we got you to say words. Now let’s help you socialize”

“What? I can’t” Her eyes were big, she was in terror.

“You’re going to have to talk to Chanyeol oppa!” Eunmi smiled.

   Naeyoon was bugging out, she didn’t want to socialize with her crush yet. Her head and eyes were in fear; shaking as usual. “Well aren’t you ready?” Eunmi asked.
“Yeah, what’s the matter?” I said, agreeing to what Eunmi stated.
“You can’t stop this now. You’ll lose your chance” she encouraged Naeyoon.

“Just try” I touched her milky, petite wrist that I could perfectly wrap my hand around. She was so gentle. She looked into me soulfully; she’s telling me that she couldn’t do it. Her eyes were full of consciousness and anxiety.

  I don’t want to force her but maybe this idea could change her life. “Trust me” I was saying my last words of encouragement. Naeyoon exhaled, her eyes searched for Chanyeol.

“He’s usually sitting down on the stairs near the music room.” Eunmi knew where to find him.
“What does he do there?” I wondered, narrowing my brows at Eunmi.
“He composes random songs that pop in his head.” She said, leaving me amused with the fact that she knows her brother well.

   Naeyoon turned to the building where the music room was. Her shoulders lift up and got down, releasing a big sigh. Her limbs started to move forward, her figure is slowly becoming small. “Let’s go follow her.” Eunmi raced to the music room.
   I followed her footsteps and there we are. We hid at the post and our heads, or should I say eyes, popped out.

   Chanyeol was there, looking at Naeyoon whose back was facing us, hands gripping tight behind her back, expressing so much intensity in her aura. “Well, well” he observed her from head to toe. The girl stayed silent and still.
   “Are you new?” asked Chanyeol. He was clearly impressed by her looks and appearance. The male has no idea it’s who he calls “Miss Weird.”

Naeyoon’s head shook around. The question could have hurt her feelings, probably knowing that she didn’t exist in Chanyeol’s eyes. “What’s your name?” he asked again but Naeyoon looked distracted. I just stood there with Eunmi, watching Naeyoon’s every move.

Chanyeol’s brows compressed. He was curious of Naeyoon. “Are you shy?” he got up. “or scared?”

When she saw his movements, she stride backwards but he was moving towards her until they were inches apart.  “I haven’t seen you around but you’re very appealing.” He beamed at her. Sooner or later, Naeyoon unpredictably dashed away with a daunted face although she did not notice us when she darted to our direction.

We trailed her down eventually; Eunmi and I were confused. Where did she go?

Eunmi went to the right, I took the opposite way in full hope that Naeyoon was around.  After turning heads on sides of the hallway, I found her in the school’s rooftop. Her lovely long hair drifted along with the wind, her eyes were staring down at the surface of the ground where she had a view of happy students, couples holding each other’s hand and teacher’s walking around with papers and clipboards.

“Why’d you run away?” I approach her, hands in my pockets. She was startled, I can tell by her enlarged eyes. After a while, she was as comfortable as I was, looking at the sky. “I can’t do it.” She declared.

“Can’t do what?”  I acted as if I wasn’t fascinated that she’s speaking to me. “Talk to that guy” she faced me. Her face was serious but ever so cute.

“Why? You’re talking to me. What’s the difference?”

“I trust you.” She replied. “that’s the difference.”

My eyebrows rose. She trusts me. “You don’t trust Chanyeol hyung?”

“Yet” she adds. I angled my head to the right. “Then what makes you trust me? You’ve known me for at least a day”

She eyed me. How cute. “I know I can trust you since we rode that bike.”

My heart is dancing. Why so?

   Her eyelashes were flickering, waiting for a reply. Was I even supposed to reply? I could just hug her instantly but that would make things awkward. She trusts me and I need to maintain that trust. I respect her more than all those seniors that even look down on us, juniors.

***

In the succeeding month, we’ve been practicing Naeyoon on how to confess to Chanyeol although at times she would change the topic for us not to bug her around and about Chanyeol. Sometimes, Eunmi uses me as a pretend Chanyeol. And slowly, she often socializes with people aside from us. She participates in classes, her friends were increasing but the good thing about that is she never forgets us.

   Other than friendship, I’ve come more attached to Naeyoon. For the past few weeks, I would always take her home, we would joke around and play pranks on each other, we would text each other until midnight till we get sleepy, I would teach her basketball and she would tutor me. She was like Eunmi, a version of her who was less girly and I’ve grown more attached to. Even so, Eunmi doesn’t mind if our friendship gets closer, she doesn’t seem to know I’m befriending Naeyoon because I want to, not because I’m helping her to get Chanyeol.

***

   I was eating some ramyun with Eunmi in the cafeteria, we stopped at the sight of a person’s figure setting down a lunch box, opened full of delicacies and nicely decorated sushi. We looked up simultaneously, seeing Naeyoon’s grinning appearance. She’s happy.

“What’s up, buttercup?” Eunmi flashed a smile.

   She sat down in front of Eunmi. “I want to thank you, guys.”

“This is ours?” she pointed at the lunchbox, obviously starving. As soon as Naeyoon nods, Eunmi dug in. It’s been a while since someone prepared a special pack of lunch for us.

“You’ll have to ask him any time today.” Eunmi suggested with a whole sushi on .

Naeyoon bit her lower lip. “Yeah… About that,”

“Don’t worry!” she cut her off. “I have it all planned. My brother said he is interested in you.” She said, swallowing the piece.

I choked on the noodle I was swallowing. And after a few coughs and a sip of water, I faced the girls. Naeyoon’s  eyes were on Eunmi, jaw dropped. Eunmi was looking at me with a disgusted reaction. “He what?” I cleared my throat.

“He likes Naeyoon.” Eunmi blinked.

Naeyoon looked flabbergasted. I bet she is nervous. “I have to—” she stormed off without saying anything else.

Eunmi was anxious. She wonders if she did something wrong. “Can you go check on her?” she asked. I didn’t have to time to reply, I just chased Naeyoon to wherever she was headed to.

   Once again, she was at the rooftop. She was seated on a bench, both hands were on the edge of the seat and her face was disguised by her hair but it didn’t leave me at doubt because her aura was the same as when I first talked to her.
   The aura that made me feel that she was trying hard; trying hard to fit in, to smile, to have courage, to trust and to continue living. But to me, she didn’t need to be perfect; she didn’t need to be popular, to put make up on, to dress with revealing fabrics nor to pretend that she is one of us to seem cool.

   To me, she is art. She didn’t need to be beautiful because like art, it’s not supposed to be beautiful, it just had to be understood and give you that warm feeling.

I took up the space next to her. “You okay?”

She did not glance at me nor blink once. “What if… everything goes wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong when you’re with the one you like. Don’t let inconvenient little things ruin such a perfect moment” my eyes were only at her, trying to pull out words from my heart.

“There is no perfect moment, no perfect timing. It’s just the way you put your feelings into words or actions” she corrected me and smiled.

“My nose is bleeding.” I scratched the back of my head, lightening up the mood.

And at last, her eyes looked into mine. I caught her, smiling. My heart then started pounding. How does she do that? I imagine myself hugging her and protecting. It just seem like I really have to guard her.

Whatever happens next, I want to find out. Later on, I snapped out of my crazy imagines. Next thing I know, she was standing next to Eunmi. “Chanyeol oppa’s looking for her.”

My face dropped. As much as I want to admit these fuzzy feelings that she gives me, I can’t because her heart is towards Chanyeol. Competing with him would mean losing Naeyoon, even as a friend.

“Where is he?” Naeyoon paid attention to the other female.

“In the cafeteria, you can go eat with him.” Eunmi lead her down stairs and came back.

“Aren’t you going as well?” she waved her hand in front of my eyes. I held her hand down and stayed silent. She placed her hands on her waist. “What’s your problem?”

I rolled my eyes at her. I felt so hopeless. We, Naeyoon and I, are friends and I’m afraid that’s all we’ll ever be.

“Don’t tell me you like Miss Weird” she assumed. I glared at her. Eunmi realized her mistake which made her tape with both of her hands. “Oops!” she mumbled.

“She’s not weird, okay?” I defended.

“I know” she said. “What’s wrong? I’m seriously asking.”

“I like her. That’s what’s wrong.”

There, I said it.

Eunmi’s reaction was priceless. “Y-you can’t.”

I raised one brow.

“I mean,” she palmed her forehead. “You can but Naeyoon likes Chanyeol and Chanyeol likes Naeyoon”

Disregarding what Eunmi said, I walk pass her. “I wasn’t planning on ruining their relationship. My feelings don’t matter anymore.” I felt so broken.

“But you’ll still be by her side, right?”

“Of course, If I can’t make her mine, might as well be by her side even if only as a friend.” I suddenly hurt myself through my own statement.

After a whole minute of silence, I decided to exit. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to think about things.” I sighed.

***

   The next day, I’m awake in my room; it was 7am. I don’t remember anything at all. I forgot all the events that happened yesterday. All I know was Chanyeol confessed to Naeyoon and asked her out. But her answer was a big blur.

I wasn’t in the mood to go to school. I tapped my phone’s home button, checking out notifications. “Cha Naeyoon: 3 missed calls”

What a morning surprise. I tapped her contact, hesitantly I darted my finger on the ‘call’ button. It’s half a centimeter away from hearing her story from yesterday. She probably wanted to tell me that she’s happy, that she’s going on a date with Chanyeol after school.

Do I want to hear that? Bitterness is taking over my appreciation. Madness is topping over acclamation. I’m completely torn between being happy for her and refusing to focus my attention on her.

An hour passed, full of deep thoughts and confusion, a quarter to eight and I’m still not up from my bed. Isn’t it surprising? My mom hasn’t disturbed me.

And again I feel into a very short slumber. The sound and vibration of my phone woke me up. “Eunmi dork calling…” I curved my lips into a smile when I saw her contact name. I slid the answer button and put my phone on my ear. “What?” I grunted.

“It’s 8:15! Where are you?” the high-pitched voice of the female bawled.

“I’m lazy.”

I can imagine her rolling those eyes of hers. “Naeyoon’s looking for you”

I rapidly sat up. “What?”

“She’s looking for you. She was pretty awkward with Chanyeol.”

I smiled at her statement.

“But Chanyeol’s trying his best to get to know her. I hate to admit but they look cute together.”

This.Isn’t.making.me.feel.any.better.

“I’m hanging up.” I sulked.

“Wait! FYI, they’re going to eat at my uncle’s fancy hotel and restaurant.” She bragged.

I chuckled. “I don’t even know how we became friends.”

“You’ll thank me somehow.” She gloated. AGAIN.

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t you dare miss me.” I hung up

I looked up on Chanyeol’s cyworld. Not to be much of a stalker but I searched for the place where Eunmi told me. It was a 15 minute drive without much traffic.

   Besides being bitter this morning, I’ve also thought about just keeping my feelings for Naeyoon reconditioned. At this point, she’s probably in the room, quiet with thousands of men staring at her beauty. She is beautiful, inside out. And Chanyeol’s the type to make her smile, to guard her and to care for her.

***

   Out of boredom, I went around Seoul, seeking for a little something for Naeyoon before she goes on that date with the man she loves .I’ve been circling around the streets seeing various shops but only one unit caught my eye. It had a big vintage feel, seeing all kinds of unusual items I’ve never seen. My foot took me there. The scent of the place itself was different. The scent of mint leaves with the smell of old books flooding the whole room. It was astonishing.

   “Good morning young lad” a husky, shaking voice said. It was an old lady. My head turned to her, she was slouching. All dressed up in a style so long ago. “What can I help you with?” she gave me a welcoming smile.

   I couldn’t reply. The things she has in a store got my eyes wandering left to right. “A book, perhaps?”  She asked. I shook my head, touching random pieces of old-age products.

“A gift for a maiden?” she looked at me with uncanny eyes. And I smile the thought of Naeyoon. I haven’t said anything yet the lady put on a reassuring grin and moved to the counter. “Come here, boy.”

   I did what I was ordered. I stood in front of the counter, looking; seeing little charms, old bookmarks and a lot of books with letterings of quotes. “For a sister? A mother? Or someone special?” she interrogated me, seeing answers in my eyes.

   I was about to speak put but she raised her index fingers up where I was told to pause. “I know now.” She bent down to get something inside the counter. As soon she got up, she laid down a wide suitcase before me. “How about these?” she unlocked the suitcase, revealing a box, a little pouch, a clam, a metal case, a crumpled paper and 7 more things that could contain surprises.

   She presented them, telling me to describe the girl I was going to give a gift to. “Is she cheerful? Faithful? Kind? Pretty?”. I cleared my throat, excited to answer. “Well she’s gentle, very beautiful and preciously innocent.” I blush just thinking about her.

   “Here,” she grabbed the clam and hand it over to me. “That’s the perfect item to give to your girlfriend.”

   My cheeks are turning into big tomatoes. “No! No, she’s not my girlfriend.” I said as I observed the clam and waved my hands off. The clam was dusty and it had a lot of scratches. “Are you sure about this?” I had an unpleasant feeling with the clam as I turn it around and around. “Young boy, don’t judge the item from the outside.” She laughed gently.

“It’s the inside that matters.” She held my hand and helped me in opening the shell. “Woah,” I exclaimed, seeing the inside of the clam.

***

“Text me when the date is over. I want to tell you something.” I typed in the message that I’m going to send to Naeyoon. I waited for several minutes for her reply. But after a while, there was still none. My patience was long enough for her so I choose to wait.

   Time flew by; it was silent in my room. All I could hear was the4 clock ticking, in sync with my heart beat. A sigh escaped from my lips once I heard my phone’s ringtone. Finally, I thought, seeing the name ‘Naeyoon’ on my phone.

   “Where are you?” I asked her, trying not to sound a tad bit too worried. “I’m on a date right now” she immediately answered with an uncommon tone. “But it looks like Chanyeol won’t be coming” she added with a voice so faultless. It seemed like she was a lost pup.

   “I’ll be there, hold on..” I said, reaching for my keys and wallet with my free hand. “Uh…” she says then hangs up. I removed my phone from my ear. I had a wry mouth, not being able to say good bye.

   Off to the streets, I went with my motorbike. This is actually a great chance to be able to tell Naeyoon my fondness; that to me, she was already beautiful without the makeup and hair accessories she was eager to try.

   While in the middle of motion, I felt another vibration. It was my handphone again. I answered with my earpiece. “Hello?”

“Can you tell Naeyoon that oppa will be a little late?” I heard my best friend’s voice on the earpiece. I was outraged; I thought I’d be able to express several things to Naeyoon. “What?! I’m on my way over there” I exclaimed and at the same time trying to keep my eyes on the road.

“Why? Are you going to spy?” she sounds like she wanted to do that herself. I exhaled deeply, thinking to go back or not. “Just hang up

   Eunmi did what I ordered her to do. She would kill me by the time we see each other again. She’s not the type to be ordered around like that but whatever.

***

   “Ouch!” I waved off Eunmi’s hand away from the tip of my lip.

Yesterday wasn’t the best night for me. My memory was still fresh from the things that happened. The hatred that built up and the awkwardness I started between Naeyoon and I. “Ugh, I hate it.” I slammed my hand on my desk.

   Everyone else in class was startled. Luckily, it was break time or else off to the principal’s office I go. “Relax, just tell me what happened.” Eunmi pulled a chair close to me so she could sit and listen to me. I wasn’t in the mood to tell stories. I looked away, screaming out “Go away” indirectly.

   It was 6pm that time when I arrived at Eumi’s family’s restaurant. It was cold and the sky was already dark. Two people were outside the door, the guy was facing behind me. He was gripping the woman’s arms with one hand, pushing her on the bricked wall of the place and the other hand was trying to the back of the woman’s dress.
   The girl looked terrified and was trying to break free. Once I saw her visage, my eyes widened out. “Naeyoon?” I removed my helmet, placed it on my bike and rushed to them.

   I ended up shoving the man who was trying to ually abuse her. “Hyung?” I saw the man’s face. It was Eunmi’s brother, Park Chanyeol.

“Hey! Leave us…be…Can’t you see…we’re…. in the… middle of s-something?” his voice sounds retarded and his legs were all wobbly. He’s drunk for sure.

   “Hyung! I’m not kidding around when I say this… Go home, you’re seriously drunk.” I said as I head in front of Naeyoon. “Bastard!” He walked closer. “You don’t tell me what to do” he punched the left side of my face, making my face ache and the left tip of my lip bleeding a bit. I lost my balance but I regained it anyway, enough to punch Chanyeol back on his stomach.

   He whined in pain, his body curved into a ball. I grabbed Naeyoon’s hand that was frozen and literally cold. Before the guards could see us, we were already far enough. I was panting when I turn to look at Naeyoon. Her ace was a big blank. Touching her hand right now is like holding onto an ice cube, she was very stealthy. “Are you okay? What happened?” I asked once I started breathing normally.

   She was obviously not going back to her senses yet. For a moment, we just stood there in the darkness. When I glanced at her, I saw that she was facing the ground… the usual her. And finally, she faces me with watery eyes. Seeing that felt horrible, I was uncertain of what to do since Eunmi never  – no one actually – cried in front of me. Ever.

   She puts her skinny arms around my neck in a fierce and a bit shaky hug, and I wrapped mine around her tiny waist. I wanted to squeeze her as tight as I could but she needed comfort and it’s not the right time to convey my feelings for her.

   I started to feel water on my chest. Naeyoon was sobbing against my chest, just my shirt between her cheek and her skin. My hands reached for her cheeks and pulled her away to see her crying face. Those hot tears pouring down her face, it’s making guilt and sympathy lumping hard in my throat.

“Hey what’s wrong? He’s not around anymore.” I said softly. “Don’t cry.”

“I’m just – so scared. He was going to touch me. Honestly, I’m a weak person. I cry easily. I’m so sorry.” She sniffed and immediately wiped her tears away.

   I couldn’t help but be sad, gazing at her eyes – still filled with tears that she was trying to fight, and her red nose. “Are you tired? I’ll take you home if you are.” I suggested.

“I’m not tired,” she said. “Something’s bothering me.” She wraps her hands on her arms, looking anxious; thinking about how to speak it out.

   All in a rush, I said “Tell me” trying to keep cool even though I’m all pressure inside and once again, overthinking. Naeyoon takes a deep breath and looks at me. But no words popped out even though was slightly opened.

“It’s okay if you’re not ready to tell me. You can always call tomorrow, next week or next month.” My grin was forced but I tried to make it look natural as possible. “Hey,” I called her attention. “I want to give you something.”

   I reached for my coat’s pocket and there, I held the clam that I bought just a few hours ago from that old lady. Her eyes shifted to the clam I was holding. “For you,” I showed it closer to her. “It resembles you.”

   “It’s an old, dusty clam.” She frowned.  I laughed a bit, thinking how naïve she is. “Silly,” I said. “Like this clam, you were judged, messy and ignored. But then Eunmi changes your appearance.” I wiped the dust off of the clam. It was now shiny and had a bronze like color. “It was actually beautiful. Now, people liked it from its outside. I considered myself lucky for having to see what’s even better.”

   She tilted her head, confused of what I was saying. My hand opened the clam, presenting a precious white pearl before her eyes. Her face was confusing; her eyes were as round as the pearl and silence was filled in the area.

   “Ehem,” I cleared my throat, trying to break the silence. “I-I don’t know where I stand with you, nor what I mean to you. All I know is that every time I think of you, I want to be with you. Flawed or not, to me, you were always so special.” I hadn’t realized anything I’ve said, not until a few seconds. It was a nerve wrecking statement that I couldn’t hold anymore.

   Because of this confession, Naeyoon’s expression was unbelievable. Her eyes were in a lot of confusion, they were only darted at mine. I’m so stupid. And after the longest stare she could give me, she shakes her head in a somewhat disappointed way. And just like that, she walks pass by me. No good bye, no words at all.

   My heart felt heavy, this is the first time in my life. It was wrong for me to do that. The moment and everything else, it’s a mess.  Then I remembered,

“There is no perfect moment, no perfect timing. It’s just the way you put your feelings into words or actions”

  Was the way I put it in words wrong?

I looked behind were I could see Naeyoon’s figure slowly fading away in the dark. How I wanted to chase after her but God knows what’ll happen if I do that.

   My legs were weak causing me to fall on my knees. I sighed, looking at the gift that was meant for her. Glancing at every detail of how beautiful it was.

***

   “After lunch time, prepare for an exam.” The old teacher said while sorting out papers of different kinds on the desk. And before the ball even rings, I stormed off the room. I didn’t think of where to go, I just wanted to be alone, to have a quiet place to think and the roof top was the best place to be.

   I opened the glass door and the moist air welcomed me. It wasn’t too cold, just the way I like it. I exhaled through my nostrils, enjoying the fresh air.
   At the ledge of the rooftop, a girl was standing, her arms and head was resting there. Her hair. I thought, finding it so familiar.

“Naeyoon?” I called her.

   There was no reply. She probably won’t ever talk to me anymore. The thought of that makes me want to undo my careless actions. Without any double thoughts, I approached her and stayed by her side. Her head was buried in her arms and wasn’t moving a bit. “Are you sleeping?” I asked.

   My fingers inserted the strands of her hair on her ear but I still couldn’t get a glimpse of her façade. “Perhaps awkward? Or mad? … hold up..” I noticed she was in earphones. I was curious of what could she be listening to. As softly as I can, I removed the earphone from her ear and placed it on my own.

    “Wait a little longer and wait for me. You and I, it can’t be yet”

   I was astonished; a girl like her would be listening to an IU song. My smile popped out. She was just adorable although the lyrics left an impact on my mind. “Wait a little longer?” I recalled.

   While I had a faraway look, I felt small movements. Naeyoon woke up and was looking at me with a blank expression. “Did I disturb you?” I asked, as she was fixing her posture. We both had the same face, emotionless.

   She tiptoed and eyed me. She tiptoed exactly where our eye level would be the same. I was in the matter of confusion. What’s she doing?

When she was done observing every detail of my face – which is scary, she set her foot down and faced behind me. Oh no, you don’t.  She was predictable. I knew she was going to walk away from me. “Can we talk?” I gripped on her wrist, preventing her to leave.

“Let me go” she was shaking my hand off. “Get your hand off of mine!” she cried.

   I couldn’t believe this, her face was the same as from yesterday when Chanyeol hyung was pinning her on the wall. That frightened me, in result that I had to let go. I was scared; I don’t want her to think that I was like him.

   “Wait, can we—” I didn’t know how to end the sentence so I gestured my hand to the bench. To my surprise, she sat down obediently and a sigh followed. “I want to ask you so much” I said as I sat down beside her. “But I just want to hear one thing.”

   My statement made her look up from the ground. She was nervous; I could tell by the way she plays with her fingers.

Your life story.”

Her hands stopped moving and she removes the other earphone on her ear. “You won’t be hearing answers.”

“That’s expected,” I replied, genial. “I thought you trusted me though” I tried smiling. She lets out her breath. “Please,” she closes her eyes. “Don’t make it hard for me.”

   It’s obviously a story she doesn’t talk about much; a dark memory that she doesn’t want to remember. She probably goes through a lot. She doesn’t share it; it just means that she’s gone through a lot of pain. It’s hard for me to help her but I really I hope she realizes that I’m not giving up on her. Maybe then she’ll finally give in.

“Maybe when you’re ready” I said as I stood up, prepared to leave.

“No!” she hurriedly stood up. “You’re going to hate me if I let you leave and maybe it’s time to let it out once in a while. You know,” she said. “To feel real and human.”

What? No, I won’t hate her for that. What is she thinking? This girl gets weirder and weirder by the minute.

   “Forgive me if I frequently pause.” She pleaded. She wasn’t looking at me but her hand was tightly wrapped on mine. It felt so unreal. She sat down, ready to tell what’s on her mind.

   “I have an intimate passion for drawing. I’ve drawn a lot of good portraits – my friends say so, back when I was elementary. But I don’t know why my parents never appreciate my talent. They said I wouldn’t have a good future if I just keep drawing and sketching. Both of them discouraged me in different ways. Although it didn’t stop me.” She was smiling but she couldn’t disguise the pain in her eyes.
   “While I was 8, my mom was diagnosed with stage 3 brain cancer. That was the second most painful thing that has happened in my life. I tried my best to make her life as happy as possible; taking care of her, topping the honors list and even tried saving money for her treatment but all she ever says are the words ‘Go away, I don’t need your pity’. Yes, that hurt me but it didn’t matter. She’s my mom and I’ll love her unconditionally.” In that part, she started to have teary eyes. She let the tears fall from her swelling eyes.
   “In her death bed, she said her last words to me…

Naeyoon-ah, I’m ashamed of myself. I hadn’t been a good mother to you; letting you stay out of the house, cursing at you, blaming all things on you. I know I’ve been very mean to you. I didn’t give you an opportunity to speak out what you want to say to me and I regret all that. But all I want for you now is to have a healthy life and grow beautiful even without a mother. I will miss your hugs and your kisses; will you miss me as well? I’d always misunderstand you but still, you would love me. I couldn’t ask for more than your forgiveness.  Will you ever forgive mommy? At least I’m happy when I die knowing that you’re still here for me until my last breath. It’s unfair of me to say this but it’s never too late, right? Remember that, I love you, my baby girl.

“Were you an only child?” I randomly questioned. She nodded.

“What did you say to her?”

She looked down, embarrassed of her crying face. “I was too late to say anything back. But I did promise her that wherever I’ll go, I’ll become the daughter she’ll be proud of.”

“Wait,” something was in my mind. “If that’s the second. What’s the first?”

   Naeyoon covered her face with both of her hands. She couldn’t look at me. “Give me a minute.” She said, a bit unclear. There were tears still trying to tease themselves out of her eyes.

   “After my mom’s death, dad became very upset that he went under depression. One night, he came home late… I was sleeping in my room… he barged in and he—” she paused; was just hanging there. It took a few more droplets of tears from her for me to realize what her father did. “…What!? How old were you then?” I tried to keep the frustration out of my voice.

   “I was 8 and he did it to me every night until I decided to run away from home when I was 10. I didn’t tell anyone because he already threatened me.” Naeyoon’s tears seemed endless. I hated myself for making her tell her story which made her cry.

   I knew she was in pain but I didn’t know it was that much. She just doesn’t deserve to be treated badly at school with a childhood like that. I just wished I was there for her when she experienced these and I should’ve asked this earlier before setting her up with a drunken jerk.

   “But then, why’d you let us change you?” I wondered. She smiled with water in her eyes. “A good change in appearance would boost your confidence but I never plan on changing what I really am. It’s what made you and Eunmi approach me anyway.”

   “Did you really like Chanyeol?” I pinched my eyebrows.

“Actually, I do not like him at all. He’s a bully. I just decided to do what you guys want me to and perhaps that could help me in overcoming my fear of men.”

   We heard the bell ring. Oh, right. We’re at school. I almost forgot and I did not even bother to study for the exam that the teacher announced just today. “By the way” she stands up and wipes her tears. “Chanyeol said his apologies so don’t beat him up or something if ever you see him.” She waved her hand, ready to leave me again. Before she can take a step away, I stood up and pulled her close into my embrace. “Please don’t go yet” I whispered. “Let me at least comfort you as a friend or whichever you prefer.”
   At first, she was resisting but then she softens up and buries her face on my chest. “Thank you.” She said faintly.

***

   A year has passed since I met Cha Naeyoon A.K.A. Miss Weird. And ever since our talk about her life story, she has become better at doing things like interacting, expressing and even studying. Eunmi and Naeyoon had become closer and – of course, Naeyoon and I are much closer than before. She had set her goals for our senior year and I couldn’t be any more proud of her.

   The better naeyoon did attract 10 times more men at school than she did before which I kind of felt awesome about because I’m close with her and they’re not. I could just laugh at that fact. But I guess they can also laugh to me for being a 12 month suitor, maybe 12 month friendzoned by Naeyoon. She isn’t ready and I can still wait for her.

   It was April, Naeyoon and I were studying for our college exams. She was going to pursue her dream of becoming an architect and I was going to take business – meh, famlily reason.
   We were sitting beside each other, books and highlighters right in front of us and honestly, I think 2 straight hours of studying could deserve a little break. “Naeyoon-ah,” I peeked at her face. She was too focused on studying.

“Hey!” I called her again.

“Hm?” she raised both of her brows, not even looking at me.

   I tilted my head.  “Don’t you ever wonder where your father is?”
It’s been forever since we talked about this. I hope she doesn’t go mad or cold on me. My question didn’t bother her at all, looking at her acting normally. Not even stopping in highlighting a bunch of words. “He’s dead, a few years ago.”

   “What? How do you know?” my jaw dropped. I was in a big disbelief and what makes me more shocked is that Naeyoon even sounds okay with it.
   “Saw the news. I mourned for 2 weeks or less.” She answered, carelessly.

“Oh.” I rested my arm on the table. “Naeyoon…”

   She looked up at me from looking at the book. Her face was serious as always; so beautiful. I was going to ask her when will she be ready for a commitment but that seemed like I’m rushing things and forcing her. “I’m still waiting, okay?” I reassured that she knows.

   Naeyoon stretched her left arm and placed her hand on my right hand. “And it’s really fine if you somehow give up on me.” She flashed the most natural smile she could ever give me. Her eyes shifted back to the book.

   I sat up and observed her for a few seconds. Not realizing, that my head was only a few centimeters away from her face. I planted a soft kiss on her cheek and I leaned back, embarrassed, on my chair as quick as I can.

   The light kiss distracted her, making her shocked façade look at me. But then she giggles before I could even panic about her getting mad at me. Her response was very uncanny. “Just go take your break but go back to studying afterwards.” She said with the presence of a teacher which creep me out.

   “Aish,” I huffed. “This won’t help me. Dreams don’t come true, okay?” I messed up my hair in a frustrated manner. Naeyoon glared at me with matching squinting of her nose. She was mad at the last thing I said. “Sehun,” she called my name.

   “C’mon! It’s my birthday, I shouldn’t be studying.” I childishly pouted. I was expecting more like a party the whole day but apparently, everyone’s studying for the exams. Sometimes, I wish my birthday wasn’t on April. I hate school. Pssh, who doesn’t?

   “Ah,” Naeyoon positioned her chair in front of me so she can face me. “How about I’ll give you your gift?” she happily suggested. I nodded, several times. Excitement, that’s what the feeling was. I looked around my room and even her bag but I couldn’t see anything rectangular to look like a gift. “Close one of your eyes.” She requested. One? Did I hear it right?

   I did what I was said and covered my left eye with my hand. “Happy Birthday, Sehun-ah” she said softly and leaned forward. She pecked my lips for a second or three.

   Naeyoon kissed me. I should have told her to stop right there, to keep still because that was just the perfect birthday present. Her lips were soft and it was one that would take time to recover from.
   She just pulled away like that and faced the books again. Her face was very red, it was worse than mine. It probably took a lot of courage for a girl like her to do that.

   I removed my hand from my eye and asked. “Why’d you make me close the other eye?”

She faced me; her cheeks looked like big tomatoes. “The closed eye tells you that it was a dream and the opened one signifies that dreams come true.” She giggles after the explanation.

   The way she puts it like that, amazes me but if just proves that she is very weird; a kind of weird that got me so interested in her in the first place. Man, I love this girl.
   “You’re weird. You know that, right?” I said to her.
   She nodded like a child. “Is that good?” she had anxious eyes.
   “Very.”

   And that reply made her smile. I could pay my life just to see that every day. “Here’s to being weird” I lend out my hand. Her eyes were at awe. The scenario reminded us both about the first time she held my hand, when she took my hand and gave me her trust. It’s one of the memorable interactions we had.

   She stood up, held my hand and pulled me up. I pinched my brows together, showing that I was confused. “Let’s celebrate.” She was leading me out of the room. “It’s your birthday anyway.”

   I smiled upon seeing her like that. She’s cute as ever. I glanced at her wrist; she was wearing a bracelet; that bracelet that had a charm. It was a pearl.

   From then and on, I knew that Naeyoon is someone I need in my life. From the moment, I met her, I felt attracted to her that I couldn’t deny myself. Even from the start, I’ve had extremely protective tendencies towards her. With time, instead of decreasing, this feeling has only grown. She’s someone I’m proud to say I love and cherish, and whoever dares harm her will suffer the consequences. I am very happy to be a constant in her life that allows her to have stability between the ups and downs she’s had.