one

Hunger Games - EXO ver.

 It was Sunday. Just like any other day, you woke up first. Your mom was sleeping across the room from you, getting as much sleep as she could.

Just like everyone else. 

This wasn't just a Sunday. 

It was the Sunday where two "very lucky" tributes get chosen for the Hunger Games. 

The Hunger Games is an event that takes place every single year, where the Capitol takes one boy, one girl from each of the twelve districts, and gets thrown inside this big arena to fight till the death, until a single tribute is left and thus crowned winner. It's a stupid tradition really, but it's the one thing the Capitol does to remind us that they are the superior and we're at their mercy.

I dragged myself out of bed and grabbed a brown leather jacket from off the desk. It was a gift from my friend who stole it from the black market two years ago. "It was for your birthday!" was his excuse. It still makes me laugh sometimes. 

I slipped on my boots and walked out the front door, quietly closing it behind me in an effort not to wake up my mom. I started to sprint to the gate that was located behind my house, and slid right under the small hole I handcrafted myself. It's not like the guards here cared. If they would, this gate would be electrified. I walked through the forest, listening for any suspicious noises.

And by suspicious noises, I mean the one that stole the jacket for me. Him. 

Chanyeol. 

Before I gave up looking for him, I noticed a small pile of leaves smoking three feet ahead of me. I smiled, knowing it was a signal that he was here. 

"Hey, Anna!" I heard a deep, husky voice yell behind me. I turn around and there he was leaning against a tree with his big, cheesy smile. "Chanyeol!" I yell back, waving. He walked up to where I was holding up a rabbit. "Freshly caught, want some?" he asks, putting it down. I nod. 

He flicks his wrist and a ball of flames is cradled inside of his palm. He lights the pile of leaves that's been recently put out and puts the rabbit down to cook. 

The thing about where we live is. We were a bit special. Ok, alot special. We were all supernatural. Each district had a specific power they mastered. My district, district 12, mastered fire. Which is really convenient, because we don't get cold during the Winter. Something we like to joke about. 

Chanyeol picked up a cooked piece and handed it to me. I took it and sat down next to him and began to nibble on the rabbit's leg even though I wasn't really hungry, but you might as well eat as much as you can. Chanyeol ripped off a piece for himself and of course tore off most of the meat in one sitting. He was always hungry. Everyone was. 

"Anna, what happens if one of us gets chosen today?" he said, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. I lightly punched his arm. "Don't joke about it, you know that scares me," I said. He smirked. "Yeah, I know. I am too. It's just.. I'm tired of this. It's ridiculous," he says. I slapped my hand over his mouth and look around in case anyone was listening. Even if we were miles away from the district, someone could've followed us. He pushed my hand away and rubbed the area around his lips. "Ow. Nice. No one's here, why do you always worry about that?" he said, looking annoyed. "I'm sorry, it's just .. I just don't want what they did to my father to happen to you," I said weakly. Chanyeol pushed me slightly. "Sorry, didn't mean to bring it up," he said. "It's fine, Chanyeol," I said, smiling. We heard sirens blare in the background, and we knew what it was. It was time for the tributes to get chosen. "Good luck," he says to me. "Good luck," I say back and we jog to the middle of the city. 

When we reached the area, we quickly separate to our designated spots. Girls on one side, boys on the other. I squeezed myself between these two girls who were sisters. Jessica, the elder one, grabbed my hand and gave it a light squeeze. "Good luck, Anna," she whispered. I nodded. "Good luck you guys," I said. Krystal, the younger, smiled weakly. I opened my mouth to tell her not to worry when the , Yuna, stepped onto the stage. 

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen of district twelve!" she yelled in the microphone. I rolled my eyes. She was always unnecessarily energetic although district twelve haven't had a winner in three years. The last one was a male who goes by Minho. He's tall, strong, and he won by throwing an ax at a victim's throat. Yuna cheerfully reads the Capitol's introduction. The same one every year. 

While she drags on, I glance over at Chanyeol who was looking at my direction. He mouths Yuna as she's speaking, and I can't help but giggle. Yuna finishes the speech and lets out a big sign. "Wasn't that wonderful?" she asks. No one responds. She taps the microphone and brings close to it again. "Well, I guess it's time to choose our tributes!" she says. She walks over to the first bowl with hundreds of pieces of paper. She digs her hands around and stirs it up. She decides on one and walks back to the microphone. "Let's see who the lucky lady is, shall we?" I hear a collective breath coming from the Jung sisters as Jessica squeezes my hand harder.

"Kim Anna!" Yuna chants inside of the microphone. 

My heart stops.

I feel Jessica let go of my hand. She whispers to her sister. The entire row clears the way, making room for me to walk up to my death. "Dear? Come up here! Hurry!" Yuna says, impatiently. I feel my legs move. I'm shaking. I was chosen. I hear hushed whispers of how unlucky I was, and I couldn't agree more. I wanted to run. I wanted to run to the woods and never come back, but I knew I would be killed right on the spot. I somehow reached the stage and Yuna grabs my hand. I must've been falling. "Everyone, let's give a round of applause for our girl tribute!" she says. Silence. No one says a word. 

"Ah, well. Maybe you'll applaud for our boy tribute!" She walks over to the next bowl and digs her hand in. She chooses a slip, and walks back. 

I think my heart stopped a second time that day. 

She chose Park Chanyeol.