Trust Me, Baby

[SERIES] Trust Me, Baby

 

I took large strides across the corridors which the darksome and bleak afternoon light had already infiltrate in through the long, glassy windows with rain water staining it continuously. Anxiety and anger were pent inside myself and I loosened the tie on my neck as it felt suddenly choking and annoying. There were people that pass me by, some bowing, some didn't realize and immediately apologise after their shoulders or whole body bumped into myself. All I could do was push them to the side, careful not to punch each one of them.

After reaching the comference room, which I learnt the horrifying truth that Minho talked bussiness with Kevin here, my hand flung open the large door grudgingly, earning fearful stares and shivers from the people inside. I stood there, scanning each people. Moments of silence went by with everyone innocently facing down, guilty crossing over some of them. 

A thunder growled and the sound of rain filled the room. I grew annoyed at their expression, brows furrowing further. I went inside, stopping after taking just a few steps.

"Care to explain the situation?" I ask, restraining myself from going ballistic. There were uncertainty all around, but was broken by a man who took alarmful steps towards me. He his lips, ready to talk.

"Um we... We were all uhh.." I direct my gaze to him, urging him to just spit it out. When he realizes I was clenching my fist, his eyes went wide. "It happened suddenly, Ma'am. By the time I turned around just a few seconds away from him, I found his figure missing after looking back." He confessed, too afraid to gaze my eyes back. "We were all... alarmed and went to search for him."

"And you didn't call for back-ups just in case he was kidnapped?" I enquired, patience thinning by the second. The man almost quivered but was able to retrieve his coolness and accept whatever it is that awaits him.

"No, Ma'am." With his answer, I permitted myself to land a punch on his face, sending him falling backwards. There were gasps around and they all looked streaked. I was panting by now after the blow I gave the man who groaned on the floor. I threw the tie clutched in my other hand to the lady assistant on my left, who caught it clumsily before her face.

"Why are you still rooted there?" My voice grew painfully slow and low, eyes threatening to pop out. She bowed to apologise and I almost lost it there with the stalling she made. But, lucky for her to make a decision of hasting out the conference room. The sound of her heels hitting against the floor tiles grew smaller and distant. 

The people inside, afraid of what I'd do to them, scurry after her, calculating their thoughts to assist the situation. The conference room was silent as I stood there alone.

I finished all my work as fast as I could to come back just so every seconds count being at his side. And all of it come to this? What do I do now?

My hands come up to cover my face. I ran them through my hair, heaving a deep sigh. A faint sound of steps made me turn around at the door, discovering a person peering at me.

"Dahae-noona?" He approached. "Where's Taemin?" A glum looking Key was worriedly toying with the necklace he accesorised. I felt hammered guiltily. Key is the closest to Taemin among others and it pains me to think I played a part in tearing them away from each other. And judging the weather outside, no wonder he grew wary. I offers to him something I could not to everyone else.

"I'm sorry." I gulp down the bulge in my throat and shut my eyes. I know, Key felt anxious by the second. The atmosphere tells me so. "I'm at fault. If I was by his side, it would not come to this. And Minho didn't know about Kev--" I look down, words stuck on my throat, feeling strangely raw and inferior before Key.

He stayed muted. Until his steps slowly makes way to me, stopping right before my figure. Gently, he hugged me.

"You must be tired." He said soothingly. I discern a smile on my shoulder. "You must have been so scared." I gulped back and tried in vain to resist from crying. The tears spilled anyway. So there I was, hands clutching onto Key's comforting shoulder and crying like a little girl.

Why did this have to happen? Why hurt Taemin like this again?

**********

Step by heavy steps I walk headlessly in the deep forest, probably lost my way back. The pouring rain made me wet and my pants were soiled with dirt. I had cuts on my arms, resulting from haphazardly walking in and out of bushes and trees of sharp torns. My feet hurt from all the hours walking and although I have come to such dishevelled state, the storm in my head and gut would not go away. My heart beats were furious but I felt most of myself dead - decayed. This is all simply a terrorizing nightmare where I am wide awake and aware.

There were pools of murky water on the Earth floor and the once firm soil were reduced to a muddy swamp. Leaves of many colours, dead or not, lay on the floor, dirty and not minded by anyone or anything. Birds and small animals take refuge inside their home up above the safe tree, watching helplessly at the victims of this downpour. The temperous sound strikes again and this time I don't shudder, instead taking it all in to relish some warmth. It was getting colder and uncomfortable. But I didn't felt like going back to the building. I didn't have the guts.

Itzel's inside and I cannot bear to see her.

At the corner of my eyes, a slim arch-shaped black rock stood proudly. A rabbit sat under it, shielding from the foul thunder and weather. I took weak steps towards it, cautiously approaching the animal. Miraculously, it did not ran away as I stood next to it.

"I sit here for a while okay..?" I said, managing a small smile that hurts as the rabbit's nose moved about. There were absolutely nothing else than the endless pour of rain and the sound of it hitting the ground or falling down from the trees. 

I was trapped in the darkness where I could not make out anything beyond the trees that surrounded the big rock above me. As I leaned on it, the coldness seeped through my skin and the shock course in and bit my bone. I tried to hug myself, shutting my eyes in concentration, convincing that it is getting warmer when in reality, I was freezing and trembling.

But what pains the most is that, when I close my eyes that familiar figure haunts my mind again. It grips all my life and I find it choking until I snap open my eyes back to stop it all. A torture.

This is all wrong. This got to stop.

My mouth quivered and with shaky hands, I led it out of the shielding rock to get some water from the falling rain. Soon, it gathered in my hands and I drank it, cleansing away the dryness of my throat. My small movement bumped into something at the end of my left foot. The rabbit was closer. I gazed upon it with weak curiousity, its ears pointed back and eyes clearly looking back at me.

"You're not afraid of me..?" I said, breathing with my mouth. The foul thunder made a sudden sound again and the animal inched closer. "It's okay.. it will not harm you.." I assured, carefully patting its head.

I looked out again, feeling the fear and anxiety of being left behind penting up. It was too dark and too silent. It was too scary and too bleak a future. I need a companion. I need someone. Just someone. Anyone--

"Hey," I started, looking at the fragile animal. "I'm a bad person that.. tried to abandon a lovely child. And I'm so cold.." Strings of tears drip down my chin as I sniffed back. "Can I hold you..?" My voice broke into a trail of cry.

When another loud lightning ignites the gloomy sky and the sound fills the forest, the rabbit agreed, inching closer. I scooped it in my wet arms, softly crying on its white fur.

**********

"I'll go by myself." I said to the driver as he bowed and lent me the umbrella he was holding for me. I watch as he get in the car and drove away from where he came. The building stood enormous and proud before me. A small sound of thunder sent a shiver down my spine. The sky was dark and it was not getting any clearer as the day gone by. I look around and find that it was weird nobody was there to welcome me home. Usually they'd fuss and fret over the details of work and pry on my needs.

The silence, not regarding the downpour, was not one that comforts. Sometimes, a harsh rain is a beautiful tune of solitude and smell of pristine. But, this time, it is simply.. not a good sign. Maybe I am just tired and maybe the coldness is getting to me. But I just could not brush this bad feelings that challenged me. The way it is calling me.

I looked up on the building and from a long window casting inside a room, though it was quite dark, I could clearly see a heartbreaking scene. My hunch was right. A weeping Itzel was held dearly by Key, who looked as if he was on the verge on crying as well. 

It snapped in me that something was wrong. Something I am not aware of. Something that surely people are afraid to inform me about. Something that would make me go mad like a crazy horse. Something about Taemin.

A flash of white went by and followed by a loud, very loud sound of thunder. Almost as if a large iron steel hits the Earth, birds scatter away from trees miles away. Their cries echoes the entire forest and slowly dissapears from my sight. Then, a distant thud registered. 

Curious of the source, my feet cautiously brought me there. Then it became a jog and as soon as another thunder went by, I started running. My heart was racing and the beats were haunting my brain as if it pounded on it. I feel my pants becoming wet and I didn't mind. A greater priority needs my attention and soon, the umbrella I was holding on too, was casted away somewhere along the way. I just wanted to be there and fast. I snap on fallen branches and splotching great deal of murky water on the way, fanning away wet leaves that fell limp onto the ground. A trail of disciplined large ants broke as I step on a small portion of shoes. Chaos took them as I focused on the only direction I could only see and my feet bringing me closer. Closer, closer and closer...

Until my feet ceased in horror, eyes in disbelieve. What lay before me was a broken angel trapped under a smashed black rock and a massive tree stricken down upon it. An injured Taemin.

"Tae..." My heart stopped beating for a lingering moment and I didn't took any air. I coughed as I felt my throat choked and the sting brought tears to my eyes. I looked up again, watching how his smooth cheek pressed upon the dirt and his hands on his side, scarred with visible cuts. Some of his nail broke and his once beautiful golden hair was wet and brown of dirt. His lips part and it was the colour of pale whiteness. It scared me.

"NO!!!!" Insane and crazed, I scurry to him, removing chunks of tree trunks and broken rocks, brushing off damned pebbles and sticking leaves. I screamed and screamed on top of my lung hoping that he would realize my presence and open his eyes again, his beautiful eyes, and tell me that he's okay; he's alive.

After most was off him, I worked on pulling him out, groaning loudly. With great effort, his hips was freed and another pull showed his ankle. I tug on him again, wanting to hug his cold body in my lap, knowing that his small frame will fit perfectly. I cease my actions when I felt something moving beneath him. A small animal came out and took off, leaving me baffled at the sight.

He wanted to save that thing? And end up like this..? I grip onto him tightly as I watch the animal dissapear from sight.

"Is.." A small familiar voice made me turn back to Taemin. He's alive! His eyes was barely open and he had a kind smile, that hurts me watching. "Is the rabbit... alright?" He finished as he fought to stay awake.

I wanted to scold him. I wanted to throw many questions. Why is he here? Why is he in this state? Why is he all alone? Why is it so aching to see him like this? Why is he not holding Itzel and welcome me back, safe and sound? Like always.. In those fair arms, lays the adorable baby Itzel and how that mere sight always seemed so perfect and.. beautiful - stunning.

But, I didn't have a heart to talk back. The fatigue was getting on me and this just added to the list. As the sharp drops of water hit my body, I nod to him, failing to smile as kind as he was. I was sobbing instead.

**********

I heard the heavy slump of the great tree behind me and the feeling of pending danger it is bringing. What was once a safe shade became a death trap the second. As the rock crumble and forces my body down, I groaned out painfully. Some of the thick branches fell of and hit my hand, leaving a nasty bruise and my fingers pulsed in hurt. The most excruciating was the sting on my back, pressing hard as though it wanted to spill my insides. Behind my blurry eyes, I felt the heartbeats hammering.

I lay there, broken and helpless. I clutch the rabbit safe and couldn't let it go. It was the sole warmth I had and this small life worth so much.

"Jjong.." Even if I called his name, he wouldn't come. Not to me. Even if I still have a heart for him. What a sick I am. Why can't I see that it's enough already? Why can't I see he's not there anymore? Why couldn't I, when I had the chance to let go? Why can't I see.. the one that could be there for me? Him.

Minho?

**********

The nasty storm subsided that early evening and the rain was reduced to a pour of drizzles. I let out a sigh as finally,finally, Itzel slept in peace. The place was quiet due to the dissapearance of Taemin and the spacious literally became more spacious than ever. Not to mention lonely. 

The agonizing hours of ear-splitting cries of Itzel had drown out all of my energy. But I didn't waste one second to tuck her in comfort as soon as she was quiet and obedient as I realized that her calls were more physically draining. She's just a baby that misses her parent. I find it hard to blame her for anything.

When I heard the sound of door shifting, I nearly sprint out of the guest room. There was only one thing I wanted to make sure and that thing is only possible with the presence of Dahae-noona coming back; to hear her say that Taemin is safe. I stopped though. Eyes wide in disbelieve.

First is because Taemin was not, in any way, safe. And two is because Minho was drenched wet just like him and holding the unconsciousTaemin like the most precious gem he declared fragile.

I wanted to scream right there and then. But I couldn't because there was something stuck on my throat. It was a 'sorry' I wanted to deliver to Minho. How did he took in all of this?

Then I realized. After watching him silently heading off to a room, Taemin is safe, in every way.
My tensed muscle relaxed a bit and I heaved a genuine sigh of relieve. "Thank godness."





**********

So after shedding tears and pleading, finally my father brought home a brand new laptop for me. Except the fact that it isnot, in any way, brand new. The laptop is one of which he doesn't use in his office so he figured I could use it. It is not the best but is not that bad either. I'm thankful as long as I could continue downloading animes and writing fics.

Please accept my apology for the slow updates. Wrote this chap for near 5 hours straight as soon as I received the laptop. I hope it's alright.

*sneezes and blows nose*

Enjoy and comment. I'm off to sleep. =__=