Final

Captivate

                                              

*BOAF episode 9, baby was sleeping so soundly. It became the inspiration for this : )

  =============================

 

Howon is an early riser. While others are willing for time to slow down, seizing hard upon the land of dreams, he would be out for a run, completely religious in his dedication to keep fit. A man drenched in sweats would usually greet him bright and early, looking as fresh as the morning itself.

Today though, today, Woohyun beats him to it.

Slipping into his room, he was careful not to make any sound and the first spot he went to was the curtained windows. The room is in relative darkness, the thick curtains ensuring what little light coming from the early morning sun, stayed outside.

The rays of light greet the darkness with the partition of the fabric, assisting Woohyun with his sight and as his eyes find the bed, he smiles seeing the man being bundled underneath the blanket. He could hear his soft breathing, singing softly to the rhythm of sleep. For a second he feels sorry, not wanting to disturb him. He had a long night, working on a strategy.

But then again, today he feels like being a fairy. Just like the one in Pinocchio that grants a child’s wish true. Today is the day where he could fulfil his wish.

So he gets closer to the figure buried underneath the thick blanket, carefully taking a seat beside him. Woohyun pulls away the blanket covering, giving him a view of the man underneath. Howon’s groan and squirms made it known he is not happy with the disturbance, the sudden cold an unwelcomed guest to his previously covered and warmed skin.

Woohyun loves throwing surprises.

He loves the look in one’s eyes after the surprise was discovered. To feel special and be loved; who wouldn’t want that? Yet never did he think the surprise will be on him, more so when it replaces that cheeky smile into an undeniable grin.

He thought it befits him somehow, a perfect match to his boyish features. He held back the chuckle threatening to burst, looking at the man wearing the hoodie with a pair of ears attaching to it; bear ears to be more specific.

‘Be a better man and own up to your losses, Yeollie. I said buy me a pyjama, not a costume.’ 

They were placed first in their little karaoke battle, on the night that always made Woohyun smile just from thinking about it. They played in pairs and the deal was the losers should buy anything the winners want. The Sung brothers lost the game, and through rock-paper-scissor, Sungyeol was chosen as the lucky guy.

Unfortunately for Howon though, his friend was rather bitter about his defeat, feeling as if an injustice had befell him. Woohyun and his friends had the upper hand all along when it comes to singing, and Woohyun remembered him saying, ‘Shouldn’t you help your old buddy or do you only care about your boyfriend now?’

With bitterness came sweet tasting revenge, so he decided to pull a prank on the director who was intriguingly, quite excited about the gift. The tall lad has bought Woohyun the scarf he had asked for. Howon though, received something not quite what he had in mind.

‘That is a pyjama, smartie pants. Do you think people walk around wearing that to work? Besides, I think it’ll look good on you. Don’t you think so, Woohyun?’

Howon pushed the clothing away from him, scowling at Sungjong and Woohyun who were laughing amusedly at his reactions, not the least bit liking the situation Sungyeol has put him into. Not at all hidden was also the glare he sent to his grinning friend who was eating his lunch peacefully as if everything in the world was sunshine and rainbow.

Words by words, it was said clearly, a stern declaration meant to cover his losses. ‘You’re wasting your money, Yeollie... Seriously no matter what happened, I will never EVER wear that stupid thing.’

 Howon wasn’t even bothered to take the gift home, but Sungyeol made sure Woohyun took it for him, sending them off with gum flashing proudly as if he has the whole world on a string.

As far as Lee Sungyeol is concern, justice has been served.

Howon had moved to lie fully on his back, giving Woohyun the full view of the deep in his sleep man. Woohyun can’t stop the grin on his face; the interactions between the two were fascinating to the say the least.

The hoodie slipped off his head completely, revealing the perfect mess that is his hair. Then his grin wasn’t about his friend’s antics, it wasn’t about what he was wearing, it was all because of him.

In that moment, his soft snoring lulled his previous excitement. His facade replacing it with something that makes his heart grew big, warming the end of his senses with something pleasant. All he could do is smile stupidly, forcing his aching fingers to stay still, stopping them from reaching out and tracing his features.

He is tough in every sense of the word. Strict with his principles and self-reliant, he is also physically sturdy, painting the classic impression of masculinity. Everything he does lauds manly man, who would’ve expected in his sleep, he is just a baby.

The man had his hands curled up in a ball, flanking the sides of his face. The lips that looked slightly dry jutted tiredly in an endearing way. His chest is rising and falling peacefully to the rhythm of his breathing, looking inviting to the man observing.

The longer he looks, the more he was tempted to; tempted to card his fingers through his hair and caress the side of his face, enticed to lie upon the broad chest and be lost in the warmth he emits naturally. Woohyun was closed to snuggle his nose in the crook of his neck and kisses him all over.

For some reason, he feels helpless; every little movement, every small feature calling out for him.

He quickly shook his head, throwing all the thoughts away, reasoning his innocent countenance has precarious ability in making him think nonsensical thoughts. And maybe it can even drive one to act nonsensically. Without being aware of it, his hand dug out the phone in his pocket and took aim at the sleeping figure.

Click. He wants to keep that sight of him forever, Howonnie, peaceful in his sleep.

It’s funny though.

Somehow his heart yearns to watch him longer, sleeping in content and seemingly vulnerable like so. It feels like seeing a hidden side to him, a side he rarely shows to others, and that made him feel special.

In all honesty, Woohyun wanted to see all of his sides, hidden or not. He wants Howon to trust him. Enough, so that the rainbow of charms he kept hidden could be set free. And really, he could’ve sat there forever, just watching him. Somehow, sleeping Howon is captivating.

But, he has important matters in hand, matters that trumped his odd new interest.

He shook the man, whispering orders for him to acquiesce, ‘Howon-ah~ Wake up.’ Grunting and turning to lie on his side; he could see the appearance of a frown, letting him know he was unhappy. ‘Come on Howon, wake up.’

It was all serene and warm, perfect in his state of sleep. Just for today, Howon thought he would sleep in, the night before was filled with thoughts and discussions about pressing issues. Just for today, he’d like to be lazy.

But he was disturbed continuously, a voice in sing-song calling out for him in the land of the conscious. A hand holds his shoulder and persistently shakes his body out of its placidity.

He couldn’t refuse the call any longer, the attempts overrode his obstinacy. Reluctantly, he sits up, eyes still very much closed, trying hard to hang on to the comfortable embrace of slumber. The source of the disturbance massages his hand, luring him to wakefulness, stimulating his dormant senses.

‘Wakey, wakey, sleepy head...’

 ‘I am awake.’  He said groggily, earning a giggle from the other.

‘Yah...If you’re awake, shouldn’t your eyes be opened too?’

Annoyed as he is, he complies with the other’s order, rubbing his eyes to erase the invisible glue that is shutting them. ‘What do you want?’ His tired voice greets the intruder.  

He opens his eyes fully and was confused by the look he was given. His eyes turned into crescents, more beautiful that the moon on any night sky. The man, who had only awakened, couldn’t understand it, seeing a certain brightness that shines as he looks at him with a smile so endearing, it lifted his cheeks and sculpted the dimples.

His brain might not be in full alert; his body, too lazy to even move an inch, but the way he was looking at him, makes him feel self-conscious. ‘Why are you looking at me like that?’ He asked, rather warily.

Woohyun knows he is probably annoyed, he knows he might even freak out, but the words slipped past his lips and really, he couldn’t control his actions any longer.

‘You’re so adorable, you know that?’ He mutters quietly, looking straight into the wary eyes. ‘Looking all babyish, wearing this thing.’ Woohyun adds, before pinching the other’s nose just to satisfy his aching fingers.

Howon isn’t sure whether this is one of his jokes, or he is in one weird dream. He shakes his head to swat away the reaching fingers, happily pulling on his nose and cheeks not so softly. His burst of declaration causes his frown to deepen as groans of confusion and annoyance fill the space.

‘What’s wrong with you?’ Howon eyed Woohyun as if he had lost his sanity, not understanding his actions. What’s undeniable is his amusement.

‘I thought you were never ever going to wear that.’ He said teasingly, pointing to the apparel he is wearing and he took a few seconds digesting his sayings, realization hitting him late. 

His mind is an old-machine, stuck and unreliable. He was trying to say something, raking up a defence to protect himself, but the moment his mouth was opened, it closes immediately. Not a word was identifiable to him.

Woohyun thought he looked more adorable and he feels like playing him.

 Tapping his chin and narrowing his eyes, he declares conspiratorially. ‘Hmm...I wonder what Yeollie will think if he saw you wear this?’ Holding back his chuckle for the other’s baffled expression; Woohyun reaches for something he had kept hidden.  

Slowly, he pulls it into view.

 And with it, widening the eyes of the other.

He’s certainly awake now. 

Lo and behold, displayed on the screen of his phone, the damning picture of him being asleep with little bear ears protruding underneath his head. He certainly looked all white and fluffy. ‘You wouldn’t,’ Howon said with a hint of desperation.

‘Are you sure about that? I think he’ll be glad to know that his present has not gone to waste.’

Like a predator, he tried to predict his next move, just glaring at the smirking him while making sure he has his sight on the phone. But Woohyun is always one step ahead, always a second faster. ‘Woohyun, don’t...’

Air, that’s all he catches.

Woohyun has his right hand extended away from his reach, working hard to send the picture. He immediately stood up, moving a few feet away, typing at an unbelievable speed. Howon wished he could stop him, but he is helpless, the blanket that was so heavenly becoming his downfall, trapping him. He threw him pillows and threats, nothing that really deterred the other.

Struggling awhile, he finally escaped, and bolting fast like lightning, he’s chasing. Woohyun didn’t even try to escape him, but he is protecting the device, making sure the other couldn’t take it away from him.

‘Woohyun...’ He groaned in annoyance, doing everything he could to disrupt his attempt. Howon is climbing all over him, Woohyun using his body as a shield, crouching slightly to tap on the phone. He is sure Woohyun is enjoying this, he is sure he has that big, wide, beautiful smile plastered on his face.

 And maybe it’s because he had only woken up less than five minutes ago, for Howon is not as graceful nor does he have much control over his own muscles. His body becoming unsteady as his foot got stuck in the mess of thick blanket spilling on the floor.

He dragged Woohyun with him as gravity runs its course, thankfully though, landing on the bed instead of the wooden floor. Still he cringes, Woohyun weight landed fully on him.

And of course, he has to gleefully proclaim it, ‘Message sent.’

Woohyun knocked him out.

Again.

Grunts of defeat accompany the giggles of excitement as he pushes the man on him, rolling Woohyun over to his left. He wasn’t even bothered to look at his face, wishing the bed could’ve just swallowed him away. ‘Can’t I ever get my peace?’

His stomach was aching from laughing, but Howon’s barely audible lament stopped him. The smile on his face was fixed as he glances at him. He has his arm covering his eyes, sighing and muttering things quietly.

He probably feels like running away; he does that every time Woohyun decided to play a little bit. Then there’s the pair of reddening ears. Despite everything solid that he knew of him, there’s that innocence he could not kept hidden.  

And it does make him wonder, why the other was constantly covering and escaping.   

Chuckling at his reaction, Woohyun scoots close and grabbed hold of his wrist, pulling his arm away so he could no longer hide behind anything.

Howon felt drained seconds ago, but having Woohyun linger over him looking amused, leaves him alert. More so when he locked his arm in a hold, looking at him the way he does, ‘It was just a picture, Howon. Why is it so bad having people see you like this?’

Blinking and blinking. He felt forced by his gentle utterance, feels forced by his seeking gaze. Scrambling for words in his jumbled up mind, a timid ‘What do you mean?’ was all he could come up with.   

But then Woohyun gets closer, gets comfortable as he slumps on him as if the bed wasn’t big enough for the both of them. ‘You know, you tend to hold back your feelings, hide whenever you get the chance to. You’re more like a little bunny than you are a bear,’ said he with a short laugh, pulling on his ‘bear ears’.

Howon decided, he doesn’t like Woohyun’s laugh in that instance. No matter how soothing he finds them to be. ‘And you always have to be the cool headed, tough guy. I know that’s not there is all to you,’ he added.

Woohyun had seen the sides that were well kept, and it seemed for Howon, it was a bad facade to show, ‘Why would you do that, hide yourself? Are you trying to run away from something?’

The other was left speechless as he looks intently at him, searching, eye to eye, and nothing in between. He’d never realised it before, but Howon has lips that curved perfectly, and he grinned seeing them tremble ever so slightly.

He wonders whether he would let anyone in, whether he would ever let him in.  

And then it came to him, maybe he has to make Howon let him in.  

Howon tries escaping once again, but Woohyun wouldn’t let him. He is trapped, and for some reason, Woohyun’s words left him feeling exposed. ‘Honestly, Howon. I like it better when you let your guard down.’ Gazing into the depth of his being, he utters in all honesty, ‘Just don’t hide yourself from me, okay? ’

How was it, something that is so gentle could make his heart wavers so fiercely? Banging the insides of his chest like it was made out of nothing.

Then he was closing in on him, both men overwhelmed by certain tenderness that draws them in to each other. Howon finds it ridiculous, but he feels as if he is in one of those cheesy romantic movies, his heart skipping a beat, seconds felt like hours, waiting for the lips to land on his.

This was all an act, only an act, but then why is it they are always putting on a show for no one recently.

His eyes fluttered to a close, feeling his softer than ever lips playing with his. Woohyun tasted like toothpaste, invigorating and embracing. The tip of his sharp nose touching his skin, tingling every millimetre it touches. Howon was mildly aware of his hand on his chest, hardly worried whether the other could feel his heart drumming powerfully underneath it.

 He could feel that the other was smiling into the kiss. It was all rather innocent, the little nibbling and insistent pressing, leaves him all warm and seeing rainbow. Perfect, perfection and bliss.

Then, bang!

‘Kids, are you really going...Oh..oh, I’m sorry! So sorry’

He thought he would find them together, Woohyun telling him last night that he needed him to be there earlier than usual. Seeing the door ajar, he thought it was okay. Maybe he should’ve given more care before deciding.

It took him about 8 seconds to waltz his way into their room, look up to see what’s before him and turned around, intending to go back where he came from. He is flustered alright. He would’ve been gone, if not for Woohyun’s laughter, ‘Grandpa, grandpa... It’s okay,’ he called out for him and the old man could hear the amusement in his voice.

He stopped and slowly turned around, facing them, body felt heated with pure embarrassment. Both men were already up, sitting on the bed. ‘I’m sorry, guys... I just thought-’

‘Gramps.’ Woohyun stopped him again, raising his hand.

Now did he finally notice; Howon looks very much like him, blazing red like a well-ripened tomato, not making any eye-contact with anyone. Woohyun on the other hand though, has that mischievous grin the elderly man knew well. ‘It’s okay, really. I was just...waking him up.’

He was considering it and decided it was obvious, ‘I can see that.’  

‘It’s a bit difficult, waking him up so...’ Sighing, he puts his arm on his shoulders before casually stating, ‘...I have to do something that’ll do the trick, right, baby?’ Making sure the other was looking at him, he enunciated baby nauseatingly, then went on to mess with his air, annoying him.

The old man finally catches his drift.

‘What are you babbling about?’ He was trying to get away from him, squabbling quietly. Howon was always reserved, a complete opposite of the showy Woohyun.

Playful Namu; he remembers how he was like when he was little. His antics could always brighten him up, making adorable faces, saying words that shouldn’t have come from the lips of an innocent kid. He thought he had changed after years away, especially after what happened previously.

He supposed it wasn’t gone after all.

Smiling, he thought it is high time to save Howon; he knows how unrelenting Woohyun could be. Clearing his throat to catch their attention, he asked like nothing had happened, ‘What time are you two leaving?’

Howon looked questioningly at the elderly gentleman, ‘Leaving?’

Apparently, he was not informed, for his frown is becoming clearer by the moment, ‘Oh, right... We’re going on a trip,’ Woohyun answered the question for him.

‘Where to?’

‘Pack up and see for yourself.’ Pinching his nose once again, he ignored the glare he received, ‘Are you going out in that bear suit, or are you going to get into your ‘cool’ outfit?’

He shook his head at the scene before him, Woohyun giving orders and Howon trying hard to draw information out of him.

And he was practically invincible as the two busied themselves preparing for the trip. Not that he minds, seeing them get into a rhythm that he is now familiar with, makes him smile. It warms his heart knowing what Woohyun has in store for Howon.

Though Howon might be annoyed now, the far more experienced man has a feeling that he’d be feeling something entirely different later; something that would be a thousand times more wonderful that the feeling the old man gets whenever he sees the two together.  

He can’t help but to think; love really is all that we need.

 

-----