I'm singing for you. Only for you

He's really gone, isn't he?

The coffee shop looked absolutely dire. At least in his mind. It was painted purple inside, with a few people staring into their drinks and fiddling with their phones. Kyungsoo's heart started to thump in his chest.

 

"It's been years, you can do it Kyungsoo. I believe your audience is waiting for you. Look at them, look at the longing in their eyes." Baekhyun, his bestfriend offered him with a gentle and encouraging smile.

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath. "Okay. I'm ready. Let's do this," he said, flinging his head up. Kyungsoo found himself struggling a little with the prospect of karaoke. It was something he had always done with Jongin.

 

"Ahem... ahem. Er, guys?" the man, one who was singing before said through the microphone. "There's someone special here tonight who's gonna sing for us."

 

Kyungsoo suddenly wished he wasn't there. He didn't even know which song he would choose. Song names started rushing through his head as he timidly walked to the small stage set up in one corner, totally forgetting who he was supposed to be.

 

A man was waiting for him by the edge of it.

 

"Uhm, can I have a backing track or something?" Kyungsoo whispered to him.

 

He looked confused. "Your friend over there said you are doing this acapella, sir."

 

"Aca-what?"

 

"No backing. Enjoy," he said, before plodding off to one of the seat near the window.

 

"Come on, Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun shouted, as Kyungsoo timidly stepped up on the makeshift stage. A few people joined in, and more claps were heard.

 

Kyungsoo was so terrified he felt like he might faint. He tried to think of something he could sing. This was going to be terrible.   

 

Kyungsoo's mind went back to all his favorite musical memories, the first time he and Jongin had danced together, the songs he'd sung with his friends in his early teenage years. And then it came to him.

 

Into Your World.

 

He'd once sung this to Jongin, in the bathroom. Jongin was in the shower and he was sitting on the closed toilet, cutting his nails. Kyungsoo hadn't even realized what he was doing. He was relaxed at that time, and Jongin had been bowled over.

 

"Hi," he said quietly into the microphone, holding on to it for dear life and smiling.

 

The room was silent.

 

"How are we all tonight?" he said formally, too awkward for his own liking, he suddenly detested the sound of his own voice. The audience remained as cold as the object that had sunk the Titanic. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw Baekhyun melt into a silent smile, giving him the thumbs up.

 

"So, yeah, this is 'Into Your World'," Kyungsoo said, before clearing his throat and taking a deep breath. He closed his eyes, and held the microphone with both hands. He imagined he was in a candlelit room, and that Jongin was sitting on a chair before him. He imagined Jongin's handsome face, and the way he smiled. Kyungsoo imagined he was singing for him. For his Jongin.

 

"This moment feels like I was born as a child who knew nothing, I closed my eyes again in case it would be a dream, you were standing in front of my desperate self and praying..."

 

The first part came out okay, a little wobbly perhaps, but he had a sweet timbre to his voice. He took a deep breath before singing the next line. He felt an ache as he saw Jongin in his mind, smiling, tilting his head to one side, lost in his love and all the admiration that brought.

 

"Just once... I want to walk side by side with you just once, just once..."

 

His voice started to warm to the song. The notes were perfect. People started craning their necks to see him, and putting their phones down.

 

"Taken by the soft wind to your world... you asked me brightly where I came from to your side..."

 

The Jongin in his imagination grinned, and put his hand up to his face, gently running his fingers over his stubble.

 

"You asked innocently, and I told you that it was a secret... because if we walk together like this... everywhere we go is a paradise..."

 

People nodded to each other and smiled over their pints. Kyungsoo was in his own world with Jongin,  feeling the song, eyes still closed. Kyungsoo pictured Jongin and it filled him with warmth. He remembered what it had felt like to hold his hand as they walked around the town.

 

"You are more dazzling than Michael, who would ever oppose you? I won't forget whoever does... just like the first person to step on Eden, everyday... I will only go towards you with my heart..."

 

There was a deep, y quality to his voice, yet it was so sweet and innocent. The audience was so immersed to his voice, in fact, the hairs on their arms stood on end.

 

"Even if it's a small thing so you won't have to suffer... I want to protect you always, I'm eternally in love..."

 

The audience could feel something in the way he sang. There was something so knowing about the way he was expressing emotions, especially for such a young man, that it was like he'd been somewhere, or experienced something truly remarkable.

 

"Even if everyone turns their back on you... as your guardian angel, I will block out the strong wind..."

 

Images of Jongin's funeral suddenly appeared in Kyungsoo's mind, and he felt a lump of emotion gather in his throat.

 

The black cars, the flowers, the desperate pain of it all.

 

He still remembered back in a month after Jongin's death, when he sat on the couch where he and Jongin used to cuddle, he bought a candle and staring at the flame. It was flickering slightly on the wick. Mesmerized, Kyungsoo asked Jongin to do one thing for him, to prove that he really could hear him. To prove that Jongin could help him find peace.

 

Somehow.

 

"Jongin. Please... blow out the flame," he whispered, tears filling his eyes as he realized the lunacy of the moment. He had never imagined that one day he would faced such situation, talking to a candle. But no one was around to laugh at him, so he could do or say anything he wanted. The flame flickered slightly.  

 

"Please, Kim Jongin. Please. I need you. You must be bigger than this, than death. You can do anything, you always could..." he said in a hoarse voice, giant tears dropping from his eyes.

 

He wanted to believe. In the movies and dramas this kind of things happened, the candle would blow out and then he would fall asleep on the couch with a gentle smile on his face because it was his dead boyfriend's way of saying, "I'm okay." And somehow, everything would be happy ever after.

 

"I'm going to count down now, Jongin. Ten... nine... eight... seven..." he swallowed. "Six... five... four... three... two... one..."

 

...

 

"Jongin please... this is your last chance. Maybe you can't hear me. It's okay, I'm starting from a thousand. Thousand... Nine hundred and ninety nine... nine hundred and ninety eight..."

 

Kyungsoo counted to one and the flame was still flickering proud. He suddenly felt a coldness in his stomach, his hand to his chest. As reality slapped him, tears started running from his eyes again, like a wet beads, pouring from him face.  

  

 

"On hard days I will wipe your tears... if only I would be that kind of person, wherever we go... it'll be heaven..."

 

Kyungsoo's mind flickered back to the candle-filled room, his eyes still closed. Jongin was slowly walking towards him as he sang, both hands in the pockets.

 

"I have come to love you now, there's no place for me to go back to my wings have been taken away... even if I've lost eternal life, the reason why I'm happy...is because now my forever is now you... eternally love..."

 

His voice gently hit the high notes, with a beautifully jazzy waver.

 

He breezed his way through the song, singing in a way he had never thought possible. When he had finished, he opened his eyes, where tears had been forming, big enough to spill onto his cheeks.

 

He swallowed hard and Jongin was gone.  

 

 

The buzzer kept sounding. Over and over again. Kyungsoo lay there, paralyzed in a half-sleep, wondering if he was dreaming it.

 

Beep.

Beep.

Beeeeeeeep.

 

Kyungsoo jerked back into life and threw the duvet away from his body.

 

"What?" he said flatly to the plastic square of the intercom mounted by the front door.  

 

"Hello, this is Kim Minseok from Seoul Police Department, is this Do Kyungsoo?" came a voice from the other end.

 

"Yes... yes it is." He didn't know what this could mean. Kyungsoo didn't know why this even involved him.

 

"Can you let us in, please? We need to talk to you."

 

It sounded serious and Kyungsoo didn't like it. Even a bit.

 

"Yes of course. Come up the stairs, apartment 2B."

 

Kyungsoo led the two police officers named Kim Minseok and Huang Zitao into the living room. He gestured with his hands for them to sit down, as he sank into the single chair. Kyungsoo immediately felt the urge to call Jongin and tell him they had the police round. He wished Jongin was at home now.

 

Jongin'd be great in this situation, he thought. Cool, calm and collected.

 

 "Mr. Do Kyungsoo, I am dreadfully sorry to tell you this..."

 

The room started to twitch before his eyes. Kyungsoo realized this was very serious, and affected him directly. He suddenly realized, too, that his phone had not been flashing when he had looked at it the first time the bell rang, meaning that Jongin had not contacted him. He suddenly realized that maybe this involved--

 

"Kim Jongin died this evening at the Yeonmu-dong road junction, and it was a hit and run."

 

And that was it.

 

Kyungsoo stared at the police officers, open mouthed. His breathing was coming so fast now he was rasping.

 

"B-but he was working. There's no ing way! I'm sorry I think you have the wrong man," he said, pleading desperately, his whole body shaking now.

 

"These were found in his bag. This is how we found you," the taller police officer said, pulling out, as if from nowhere, Jongin's purse with his ID, driving license and all. He pushed them across the coffee table between them and there, in front of Kyungsoo, was the face of his man.

 

Kim Jongin.

 

A cheesy little grin.

 

Beautiful face.

 

Those eyes.

 

"Oh, ," Kyungsoo said, pulling himself back and sinking into the chair. He tucked his head down toward his knees and started to cry. But they weren't slow, melancholic tears. They were tears of fury. And the next thing he knew, his mother had arrived and the police were gone.

 

"Jongin was, and he will always be an epic love. But contrary to popular belief, there are actually multiple ones, Do Kyungsoo. The only way to find another is to let go and move on," Baekhyun words repeatedly played in his mind. And that was why he agreed to his bestfriend's suggestion to enjoy the night and met new people. But still... Kyungsoo can't let him go. God knows how hard he tried but failed terribly. He just couldn't. In years maybe. But not now.  

 

 

-fin-

 

 

a/n: i'm sorry ;A; because everything went wrong in my life lately and i was feeling down for days and then i was listening to exo-k's into your world, so yeah (fail) angsty kaisoo for everybody. sobs. comment would be very much appreciated. thank you ;; ♥