He doesn't have the time

The Little Things

          Jonghyun chuckled to himself as he gazed at the sleeping body that leaned against his own. He knew Kibum would be too tired to stay up and watch the firework show, but the younger insisted upon the yearly tradition and Jonghyun wasn’t about to tell him no. He wondered whether or not he should wake the boy up, but he couldn’t find it in himself to stir that peaceful face.

          Everyone had a strenuous practice earlier that morning despite the holiday and had decided on a nap that afternoon –well, everyone except Kibum. He claimed that he needed to prepare for this evening: cleaning, shopping for champagne and snacks, making phone calls out to family… the whole nine yards.

          Jonghyun glanced at the clock: 11:48pm. Taemin, Minho, and Jinki left to the S.M. House Party around an hour earlier to enjoy the festivities, much to Kibum’s protests. The younger wanted to have a quiet evening at the dorm where they had a perfect view of the fireworks from their window, but of course, the others would have nothing of it. Jonghyun had wanted to join in the fun too, but frankly chose to stay home with Kibum, not wanting to make him upset. There was always next year.

          Kibum shifted in Jonghyun’s one armed embrace, letting the blanket fall from the boy’s shoulder and onto his lap. He smiled and gently ran his fingers through Kibum’s soft, raven hair…

          ‘Has it almost been six years, already? How time passes…” Jonghyun thought warmly as he watched the younger sleep peacefully. He gently shifted his position on the couch and his heart fluttered when Kibum lightly gripped his arm in response.

          Jonghyun loved Kibum’s unconscious quirks and ticks, especially in those mornings when he woke before the younger and he could lay and watch him awhile. Kibum probably didn’t know that Jonghyun loved how his eyebrows would furrow instinctively at the presence of light, or hear how he would chuckle when the younger burrowed under the covers. He doubted that Kibum knew of all the little things that Jonghyun loved about him.

          If he had the time, Jonghyun could write an entire novel about the boy in his arms. He could write endless pages about his teasing smirk or the way he would purse his lips when he was worried. He could write chapters upon chapters about Kibum’s ever changing hair and how it always looks flawless, even on days when he doesn’t touch it at all. He could write forever about his unfailing ability to brighten up any room with a smile or how his loud, obnoxious laugh is like music to his ears. He could write about how honey is always on the grocery list because Kibum uses it all in his tea or how Kibum knows exactly what song to play when someone’s upset. He could write about those beautiful eyes he loses himself in daily and how they always tell the truth, even when they don’t mean to… or those gentle kisses left behind that let Jonghyun know that he will be missed.

 

          Jonghyun could write about all these things, but he doesn’t have the time.

 

          Kibum stirred in his arms as Jonghyun’s fingers lazily trailed through his hair and down the nape of his neck, causing the younger to shiver slightly. Glancing at the clock, Jonghyun gently kissed the boy’s raven locks and rubbed his arm with his thumb. “Kibummie…” he whispered softly, “You fell asleep.”

          Slowly blinking awake, Kibum’s eyes met the dark sky outside the window, “So I did… Did they shoot the fireworks off yet?” he asked, voice thick with sleep.

          “Not yet,” Jonghyun reassured him.

          Kibum smiled softly and nuzzled into the elder’s side, “That’s good…”

          Soon enough, bright colors and booms brightened the black sky, and cheering from people in the streets could be heard in the distance. A new start, another new beginning.

          Looking up at Jonghyun, Key smiled and softly kissed his lower jaw, “Happy New Year, Jonghyun.”

          “Happy New Year, Kibum,” the elder whispered lovingly as he left a chaste kiss against the other’s. Pulling back, he Kibum’s face softly with his fingertips, taking in every touch, every smile, every second with this precious person.

 

          Jonghyun doesn’t have the time because he’s too busy loving in the moment, not wanting to waste a second.

 

          “You know I love you, right?” Jonghyun murmured quietly with a sigh. The younger closed his eyes with a small smile and tenderly pressed his cheek into the elder’s palm.

 

          “How could I ever forget?”