You're Different

That's No Answer

 

 

So it’s not like they’re dating now, but Kyungsoo’s newly developed habit of overanalyzing everything Luhan does for/with him, it sure feels like they are.

 

For example, on their way to China, Luhan takes his hand to guide him easier through the crowd of overbearing fangirls, and Kyungsoo’s heart skips a beat. That firm yet soft grip on his fingers by the Chinese boy is enought to make imaginary butterflies flutter inside his chest, and everyone who knows Kyungsoo well knows that he has zero tolerance for everything mushy like that. Or at least he used to; he thinks back to the glory days when nothing used to phase him and everyone considered him intimidating. These days the only people who still see him that way seem to be Jongdae and Joonmyun, and if that’s not sad, then he doesn’t know what is.

 

The sneaky kisses are another new development that makes Kyungsoo .. feel things. After dance practice, Luhan trails behind on purpose and plants a swift peck on his lips like it’s the most natural thing in the world. After, the younger boy’s lips are left tingling; cheeks flushing some at the mere thought of possibly being seen by someone do this. It feels so dangerous but at the same time Kyungsoo can’t help but focus on the fact that it’s also so bold and daring and desirable of Luhan to like him so much  he could so naturally and casually risk be seen kissing him. The butterflies appear again, and the Korean boy wonders if it is weird that he finds himself admiring every little thing Luhan does.

 

Now that his bed has been fixed too, it managed to shut half the members up and stop discussing it, but more importantly it made their personal situation even more complicated. They’d go to bed normally, then after Sehun has fallen asleep, Luhan would whisper for him “Soo-yah, come here, little penguin.” and despite not understanding the penguin reference (soulmates for life? He doesn’t dare think about it.), Kyungsoo goes every time. And they sleep like that, practically cuddling, until the wee hours of the morning when the younger boy’s instincts wake him slowly, just in time to move back to his bed before the magnae has woken up. Every time he pretends he doesn’t see Luhan’s pitiful, adorable pout as he slips out of his bed, but he can’t deny the infuriating sense of longing left in his own gaze. This near-relationship has revealed sides of himself even Kyungsoo isn’t proud of.

 

And of course who else but Chanyeol would bring up all of this baggage first.

 

“So, you and Luhan hyung are dating for real – yes or not?”

 

It’s a semi-free day for them, with Joonmyun and Baekhyun recording Inkigayo, while Minseok took Yixing, Luhan and Jongdae out for coffee. This unfortunately, for Kyungsoo, means that while Jongin and Sehun are coming up with some new dance moves at the practice room, the most annoying members of EXO get to pester Kyungsoo without shame. So far Tao has come to “snuggle” because “he felt lonely”, to which the shorter boy had reacted understandably and pushed him away. Now Chanyeol is asking difficult questions, and it’s like no one has respect for his power anymore.

 

Kyungsoo lifts his chin proudly, giving the rapper a semi-threatening look, trying to scare him out of the living room. Which of course has zero success since the taller boy seems to have grown a pair of big ones. Surely enough, after a short moment of awkward silence, Chanyeol presses again.

 

“I mean, things are different, are they not?” he asks, his tone softer now that Kyungsoo has given him the evil eye for long enough.

 

In reply, Kyungsoo shrugs, a part of him facing the reality that his “hyung” is not going to give this up until they at least try to discuss it. Doesn’t mean he’s going to cooperate with “Yoda’s” strange obsessive questioning though.

 

Seeing that, Chanyeol continues. “I mean, you’re different.” He says that with a shrug, like it is obvious, but it’s what catches Kyungsoo off guard. He stares, eyes widening, body stiffening at the implications of the rapper’s words, then clears his throat.

 

“I’m not different.” He denies, knowing that the other boy has a point. Chanyeol gives him a look and leans forward, like he’s about to tell him a secret.

 

“Yes, you are.” He looks around to make sure no one is about to enter the living room, then continues. “For the longest time you wouldn’t let anyone but Jongin hug you, and that was only because he’s your best friend and he’s practically in love with Joonmyun hyung.”

 

Kyungsoo snorts at this, rolling his eyes a little, but his lips curl upwards. He can’t help but be mildly amused by Chanyeol’s endless insinuations about the members. Then again, if the rapper was on point about he and Luhan, wouldn’t he be right about this too? Kyungsoo stops his train of thought there, because really, Suho and Jongin? No. That’s just TMI.

 

Chanyeol is still talking, his expression all engaged in the “conversation” (monologue) they’re having. “When the other members used to be sweet with you, you’d shove us off or ignore us… Then you started being all lovey dovey with Luhan hyung, and you let him do everything, Kyungsoo-yah, everything.”

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know whether to act offended at this or ask the other boy to elaborate, so he shakes his head some. “I… I’m not that mean to you, guys.” He defends himself, and it is true after all, he didn’t even throw anything at Tao earlier for punishment.

 

“Exactly, that’s my point, Luhan hyung has made you all soft and agreeable with his affection.” The rapper says, and this time it definitely sounds on point.

 

Kyungsoo gulps, about to protest out of habit, when no other than Kris enters the living room like he owns the place.

 

“What’s happenin’, little Satan; Rap Wiz?” he asks, in English, and of course using his favorite nicknames for them. Sure Chanyeol would be happy to be considered a rap wizard, and Kyungsoo used to be happy about being respected, but these days it feels like taunting more than anything else.

 

“We’re talking about Shorty’s nicer attitude these days.” Chanyeol answers helpfully, daring to smile like it is all fun and games. And again with the nicknames, the younger boy notes.

 

Kris nods and takes a seat beside Kyungsoo, throwing an arm over the back of the couch and relaxing back into it, legs spread lazily.

 

“It’s true. The other day at the airport, he let me hold his hand.” The Chinese rapper says, smirking some. It’s true, unfortunately, and if Kyungsoo knew they’d be discussing this too, he wouldn’t have allowed it to happen. And just when he thinks it can’t get any worse, Kris continues. “I mean, granted, Luhan was holding his other hand so that had the majority of his attention but… well, it was great.” He grins wider at Chanyeol. “The fangirls loved it.”

 

Kyungsoo groans quietly, exasperated and about to leave the room, when Tao comes asking to borrow his headphones because his brand new Beats somehow broke. The Korean boy nods, agreeing to lend his own and thinking nothing of it. But even that doesn’t go without commentary.

 

“See? All soft and sweet, you are.” Chanyeol supplies and Kris grunts in agreement beside Kyungsoo on the couch. “But are you and Luhan hyung dating or not?” Chanyeol mouths at him, and the younger boy takes this as his cue to leave.

 

“This conversation isn’t over!” “Yeah, I wanna know more too.” They call after him and Kyungsoo vows to let this be the last time he is alone with them at home.

 

 

 

~~~~

 

 

He’s downloading a Korean-Chinese dictionary app on his phone when most of the other EXO members come back home. It always gets noticeably louder when there is more than five people at their place, so he assumes it isn’t Sehun and Jongin. After all it is typical for them to practice until late, especially Jongin, the perfectionist of EXO.

 

Surely enough, Luhan comes into their room, carrying a take-away cup of coffee in each hand, a bright smile adoring his face. “Hey, penguin Soo.” He greets sweetly, making his way to Kyungsoo’s bed and handing him one of the coffees before sitting down next to him. Kyungsoo feels the (pleasant) weight of the older boy’s gaze while he takes a moment to dwell on the fact that Luhan actually bought him coffee.

 

“Thank you.” He smiles softly, putting his phone aside. “What’s with the nickname?” he then asks, adjusting more comfortably on the bed, eyeing the older boy as he does.

 

Luhan’s smile widens a bit. “Well, after the other night on the terrace I remembered your dancing at ShimShimTaPa and it just… fit.” He’s practically grinning now, his eyes glistening youthfully. Yet again off guard, Kyungsoo breaks into a smile – he can’t help it, the Chinese boy has this effect on him.

 

“Hope you don’t mind?” Luhan sounds so hopeful and sweet, Kyungsoo just wants to hold him and tell him he doesn’t mind anything the older does, but he resists the urge.

 

“Nah, I don’t mind.” The Korean boy answers immediately, shaking his head and reaching to pat Luhan’s knee as a way to show they’re alright.

 

Luhan beams back at him, perking up and straightening up some. “Good! Because I wanted to be on your good side before I ask you something.” He says, his tone easygoing but warm.

Kyungsoo eyes him curiously, his attention entirely focused on the older boy.

 

“Well,” Luhan starts and then pauses, as if to build up suspense. If his expression wasn’t so genuinely excited, he would probably be annoying? Kyungsoo’s not sure. “I was thinking about that time you went to the movies by yourself…”

 

Ah, yes, the Korean boy thinks, good times. No one to chatter about the movie during the movie; no one asking him to repeat what some character said – just he and the cameraman. It had been a good experience, really. He waits for Luhan to continue, nodding along to show he’s listening.

 

“And I thought that we should go to the movies together this time.” Luhan finishes, looking like he really wants Kyungsoo to agree to this. That alone is enough for the younger boy to like the idea but the last time EXO saw a movie together, it was a complete and utter failure.

 

He pouts some, pondering. “Well, did the others already agree to go?” He asks, knowing that if everyone decided to go and he opted out, he’d seem like the bad guy.

 

Luhan looks momentarily confused, then shakes his head. “Oh, no no. No…” he’s smiling at Kyungsoo like he has just told him the best news in the world. Kyungsoo isn’t sure why Luhan often looks at him like this, but he knows he doesn’t mind it.

 

“I meant go together.” He puts emphasis on the last word. “Just you and I.”

 

Oh. Kyungsoo hopes he isn’t blushing, but he knows it’s obvious he didn’t expect this. Just the two of them sounds like, you know, a date or something. Which would mean they’re dating, would it not? God, all of this wondering is really messing with his mind. But he’s really not the type of person to sit around and discuss his feelings and thoughts all day.

 

“Really?” He ends up asking, large eyes trained on Luhan’s face, which softens as the older boy nods.

 

There’s another moment of silence, and then Kyungsoo nods as well, perhaps a little more eagerly than he’d rather admit. “Yeah, let’s do it.” He says, already scooting closer to Luhan on the bed to give him a long overdue kiss, when Sehun enters the bedroom.

 

They practically jump apart, Kyungsoo almost knocking over the cup of coffee in the process, and Luhan hurrying to take it out of his hands and place it on the bedside helpfully. The magnae gives them a superior look and collapses on his bed with a tired groan.

 

“How is our Sehunnie?” Luhan asks, standing between their beds, but looking like he wants to sit back down, which is admittedly what Kyungsoo wants too.

 

Sehun answers with a string of intangible words, the majority of which grumbled into his mattress. He looks like he’s about to pass out and doesn’t need to be bothered, so Kyungsoo ends up waving for Luhan to just leave him be. He definitely isn’t trying to monopolize the Chinese boy’s attention though, it just happens.

 

 

~~~~

 

It’s the next evening, and they (he and Luhan, just the two of them, as already established) are due to go out in less than an hour. While Luhan is happily chatting away with Jongin and Sehun in Jongin’s bedroom, Kyungsoo is torturing himself, alone, in their room. Is it a date or not; are they dating or not. These questions plague him like an awful disease but he just can’t shake them. On the one hand, Luhan has been kind and sweet and lovely with him since before debut, on the other hand recently they’ve been kissing and members don’t just randomly do that. Unless they’re snuck-up on by Tao, but he is a different case altogether.

 

Then again, they already got ready for the… movies, and Kyungsoo saw the way Luhan looked all cozy and handsome in his new Levi’s and warm fuzzy sweater. He didn’t just randomly wear clothes like that, the younger boy knew as much. It was essentially like… like he wanted to look particularly perfect for their… going to the movies.

 

And Kyungsoo wasn’t much “better” off himself. Earlier that day, he’d literally ran out of the house (chased by more excessive questions from a couple of rappers, mind you) to buy brand new jeans and shirts (yes, plural) for this occasion. And it had taken him nearly twice that amount of time to decide which ones to wear too, which wasn’t like him at all. But, he guesses, this might be the new him – the him that cares too much and lets Kris hold his hand at airports. He huffs exasperatedly to himself a few times, and before he knows it, Luhan is coming into the bedroom, his ever so bright smile once again taking the younger boy off guard.

 

“You ready?” the Chinese boy asks happily, motioning for Kyungsoo to follow him out of the room and the “EXO Residence”.

 

Am I ever, Kyungsoo thinks to himself, but instead of saying so he lets Luhan interlace his fingers with his own on their way out of the building.

 

 

After that, it is almost like there is no opportunity for Kyungsoo to overanalyze, but instead he just has to live through it - too much happening for him to think much.

 

On the way, Luhan literally protects him from a not-so-small number of fangirls who follow them almost the entire way to the theatre, and only give up on their stalking when Luhan explains to them that they don’t appreciate their personal space being invaded. He’s holding Kyungsoo’s hand like he’s never going to let go, and looking all serious while still maintaining a polite tone with the girls. It makes the Korean boy that much calmer and more inclined to lean on him and the fangirls more rational too at the same time. So after they’re gone, Kyungsoo squeezes Luhan’s hand in thanks, and gives him a rare, open look he’s never really aimed at another guy in his life.

 

At the cinema, Luhan lets him choose the movie, mentioning that he knows Kyungsoo hates to read subtitles so Korean movies are preferred. It makes Kyungsoo almost giddy – Luhan being such a gentleman about it. And if that’s not enough, the Chinese boy also pays for the tickets, and the popcorn, and the coke, the younger boy not even wanting to complain about it. It feels nice to be taken care of like that – and Luhan is so casual about it, standing close to Kyungsoo, his hands on his lower back, or at his waist, but light enough not to draw unnecessary attention or be overbearing.

 

Their seats… or should Kyungsoo elaborate, their seat – the “loveseat” is his favorite part about the evening. Luhan’s too, evidently, because even though there is more than enough space for them to relax in, once they get to it, the older boy practically pulls Kyungsoo in his lap without missing a beat. Naturally, Kyungsoo lets himself be seated before his mind even catches up with it. And then he realizes that Luhan’s sweater is just as warm and fuzzy as it looks, and the older boy is also warm and comfy to lean into and it doesn’t even matter that they’re in public.

 

When Kyungsoo assumes is probably past the point when Luhan’s legs got sore from the added weight, he gently takes the initiative to slide off of the older boy’s lap and lean against his side instead. Smoothly Luhan’s arm moves around his shoulders and Kyungsoo’s insides flutter again, but he reminds himself to be cool. He rests his hand on the Chinese boy’s thigh, fingertips squeezing lightly, as though he’s reassuring Luhan of something. It earns him a soft smile from the other boy, which Kyungsoo is admittedly dying to kiss away, but they came to see the movie right?

 

By the time the credits roll, they have kissed three times.

 

The first is because Luhan had started humming “Heart Attack” under his breath and Kyungsoo just felt compelled to shut him up. It’s soft and tender though, in contrast with the fire burning inside the younger boy’s chest.

 

The second kiss happens because Luhan’s been staring at Kyungsoo for a couple of minutes, and it makes him feel important and it’s just unacceptable. So the Korean boy initiates that kiss too, the older happily returning it, lips warm and tender against Kyungsoo’s.

 

The third kiss is like riding a rollercoaster. It starts out slow and steady, but by the end of it they’re practically into each other’s mouths, and it’s inappropriate and deep and intense. Kyungsoo has practically melted against Luhan’s chest, the Chinese boy’s hands found their way to Kyungsoo’s waist and sunk in.

 

They do pull apart though, begrudgingly so, when the lights in the theater turn on. Kyungsoo pouts, Luhan lays a last soft kiss on his swollen lips, and they get going, their hands seamlessly grasping each other.

 

It’s only when they’ve finally reached the “EXO Residence” and Luhan kisses him softly before they go inside that it occurs to Kyungsoo that they were definitely on a date. Yes, a date. He dares use the word, even if it’s not out loud.

 

The next morning Kyungsoo doesn’t slip out of Luhan’s bed until it is well past sunrise.  

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

( This pairing, and this setting has grown on me a lot. Comments are much appreciated, I enjoy feedback greatly. Thank you for reading. )