2

Forbidden

It is getting closer and closer to my birthday, and I do not want to leave Katrina all by herself.. probably because I will miss her short wavy black hair, and warm grey eyes that glowed just like mine. I wondered if she will return to her old self.

When our parents died, Katrina did not speak a single word for a month, she did not sleep, eat, or move for a week. Several days after, she was moved to a hospital. Her little hands shaked as she breathed out the words "Lonely...Lonely.." constantly. Somehow, she would respond when I read aloud our mother's book. From then Katrina realized what the book was doing to me, and started to express feelings as she tried to protect me.

I thought to myself, if she were to go through that stage again, she would be alone, breaking down all by herself, she would become lonely again... "Kina!," I hear Katrina yelling from the front door after an odd number of doorbells rings. "What?" I walk towards her while drinking my afternoon cup of tea in one hand and a story novel in the other. The book is a hardcover with colourful stripes, it looks cheerful enough, but it holds a dark story. I think of it as my favourite book. "There's a visitor. It's a male. I don't wanna talk to him! He might do impure acts! Eek!" Katrina pushes me towards the door and plops on the bed. I chuckle and open the door.

"Hi there.," a man with a black collar, wearing a long-sleeved shirt and blue jeans says as he walks in rudely. "Hello." I poke his forehead gently with my finger, pushing his body back out the door. "Please take off your shoes, sir." He nods, with a mysterious smirk on his face. How strange.. "How are you, Kina? Your lucious black hair has grown, and your grey eyes haven't changed a bit. Still the same old bony girl, hm?" I blink continuously, unable to take in the situation.

 

"Who are you?"

 

The strange man takes a seat at the dining table, the left chair, the one I usually sit upon, which made me uncomfortable. I place a cup of tea in front of him, and he takes a sip quickly. "Kina, we want you at the soulmate meeting early. By next week." Katrina gave the man a glare that looked like she saw a ghost and let out a screech. "What are you talking about?! She's not going anywhere! It's only April the twenty-eighth, so you can keep your trap shut!" The man quickly pulled out a knife and dived it into her direction, missing the flesh only by a strand of hair. His rapid action gave Katrina a fainting expression. "Don't you dare talk to me like that."  I reach for a grasp of his wrist. "Do not hurt Katrina. If you do, your soul is to be put in hell, by me.," I yell with a firm voice. He laughs harshly and brings his face close to mine.

"When the day comes..this beauty will be all mine..," he whispered under his voice. This man is terrifying.. I feel a cold shudder down my spine as I squeezed my voice to give him a command. "Get out of our house. Now." I push him aside and he shouts as he leaves. "Kina, your belongings will be packed by May the fifth. The drivers will be waiting outside and the king has already scheduled your meeting!,"  his car drives off.

 

I spent the rest of the day imagining how the city would look. Katrina was worried about how he might be lying to try and kidnap me. She nagged the entire time until I assured her that I will be alright, knowing that I really might not be..

 

Days passed by and it is finally May the fourth. The man sent different threat mails claiming what he would do if I did not go. I just wish he would stop frightening Katrina. Tonight, Katrina and I would sleep together, as it is going to be our last night. "Kina..," Katrina mumbles under the sheets. I comb her hair with my frozen fingers gently "Don't worry, I will leave your breakfast on the table." She jerks suddenly and bursts out in tears, "Ugh.. THAT'S NOT IT! God damn this world.. I hate it.. We are locked up in homes then sold as slaves!," She rushes out of bed and locks herself in the washroom. I slowly follow behind. "Katrina.. Watch your language.." She lets out hard sobbing noises, with an undistinguishable mix of anger. "I don't ing care anymore. This is stupid. I don't want you to leave. I'm not prepared, you're not prepared. Mom and dad are gone and now you have to leave. If you leave on the due date then maybe I would of been prepared.. But I just can't take this. I can't even spend an extra month with you. ing stupid.. I HATE THIS WORLD!!!" Lighting strikes on her words and rain suddenly fall as she cries silently.

I have lost all my sense of what to do. If I attempted to comfort her, it would mean supporting her. If I supported her, for sure, she will not going to accept the fact that I am leaving. My mind was full of confusion and conflicts as another night went by...

The following morning, I arise early, before the soldiers arrive for practice. Katrina ended up falling asleep in the washroom, I unlocked it forcefully to leave a blanket on her weak body. For the last time, I bend over to hug her. Something strikes odd, I realized her body was cold, very cold. I quickly turn her over to search for a pulse, her neck, her wrists, her leg but... there is none..

 

The lifeless body that lies infront of me is a dead person, Katrina is dead.

 

A sour feeling shoots up my body, I was combined with too many feelings at once to even be sad. My heart felt like it was not pumping to my beat. I search her body for marks and see a long cut down her back and it was bloody and unnatural, in the shape of a lightning symbol. A note in her hand. "This female has sinned. Disobeying the law. The world is perfect, yet she hates it. Why not leave it?" I tell my mouths to scream, but no voice comes out. I tell my eyes to cry, but no tears form. My world was a mess. It hurts in multiple places that I did not know where; it feels like I am bleeding everywhere inside. What is going on? I could not tell. This is not happening..I could not think. This is not real..

I start making breakfast. Bacon and eggs with a side of salad along some orange juice, pretending nothing has happened. They are expensive ingredients that the King only sends to us once a year, but are Katrina's favourites, I decide to make them today, because she is my favourite. After breakfast, I pack up all my clothing and personal items. I discover our family photo, black and white as mom's brown hair couldn't be shown. Dad's black hair was displayed quite nicely.

I force my eyes to open wide and a single drop of tear runs down my cheek..

 

 

The outside of our home is very plain, a brownish-red brick wall was simply designed and a few dead flowers were planted in front. The graves of our parents are at the back. It is six-thirty in the morning. I walk to the back and pray quickly. Honking noises come from the front of the house, I look to see as someone walks out.

"Hi, Kina. My name is Charles and I'll be your guide!," he says while guiding me to the car, cheerfully...

...too cheerfully.