1

Guess What? We're Brothers!

 

Guess What? We’re brothers!

 

1. A brother is a friend given by Nature - Jean Baptiste Legouve

 

 

“What?!” 

 

Notary Cha’s words draw the same, loud reaction from all the young men in the room. 

 

After a moment of general lostness and bewildered glances, Notary Cha smiles widely at the sight of the five shaking their heads and arms vehemently, expect for Kyungsoo who is simply staring at Notary Cha like he’s standing there . 

 

“This is not funny, Noraty Cha.” says Baekhyun “I’ve never met any of these people before.”

“You’ve interrupted a possible fourth round with my boyfriend for this bull?” 

 

Everyone, Notary Cha included, turn to look at Sehun is shock at that. The young boy shrugs, really pissed. 

 

“Uhm, I think there must be a mistake.” Luhan says then, trying to bring some calm “How can we be brothers if we’ve never met each other?”

 

“Because your father was a playboy who has spent the highlights of his life getting women pregnant before abandoning them to their destiny, I suppose.”

 

Notary Cha breaks in an understanding smile, trying to calm the five men down and, apparently, managing in his attempt. Everyone has fallen silent at his words, shocked.

 

None of the five has ever met their fathers or heard things about them. In most cases, their mothers and families had always answered their ‘Mom, why I don’t have a father?’ with some flat ‘Because your father was an idiot’, which obviously brought the boys to never question about who said man was.

 

Kyungsoo, especially, has grown up thinking his father had to be a big for having left his mother alone with no money and a son to take care of. Junmyeon had always had his grandparents to look after him, Baekhyun his mother who, helped by her family, always managed to take care of him well, Sehun had always lived well enough not to care. Kyungsoo was different from them all, and so was Luhan, who has lost his mother of a brain cancer when he was 19. 

 

“Okay, let’s say this is true, that we share a father.” Kyungsoo finally speaks up, catching all the attentions with his severe tone “What is this meeting about, all of sudden?”

The other four people sit besides him nod, turning their weary eyes on Notary Cha who, unnervingly, is still smiling. 

 

“Your father has died of lung cancer last week.” 

 

The news meets a long silence, as the five brothers send each other quick glances to try to understand what their reaction should be. Some of them look taken aback, maybe even sorry, some of them look unperturbed. Sehun is one of the unperturbed ones.

 

“Should we be sorry? We’ve never met him, I honestly couldn’t care less if he’s death or not.”

“Totally agree.” Kyungsoo shrugs, making to stand up to go back to work at that point when Notary Cha calls him back with a firmer tone.

 

“Of course you couldn’t care less, your father knew his sons couldn’t share tears over a man who has never cared about them in the first place. Still, the five of you were what he thought about before dying.” 

Baekhyun raises a funny brow at those words. “We were?” 

 

With his paralyzing smile back on his face, Notary Cha nods and presses the button of a remoter which brings a projector to light up a long text on the white wall in front of his clients’ eyes. 

The title reads ‘Son Eric’s wills’ and its followed by a series of enumerations which explains the death man’s last wishes after having learnt about the digression of his disease.  

 

Everyone starts reading, scrolling down the bright text with hurried eyes and hands undeniably shaking. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are the first ones to reach the will regarding the man’s five sons, whom he declares to have loved deeply despite his absence from their lives, and it makes them open up in a shocked yell. To make up for his unforgivable behavior and for having put the boys’ mothers in danger before, in fact, Son Eric has declared Kim Junmyeon, Lu Han, Byun Baekhyun, Do Kyungsoo and Oh Sehun the heirs of all of his inheritance, a sum of 20.850.100.600 in total.

 

“Oh my ing God.” Baekhyun screams, covering his mouth with his palms while the others break out in a similar reaction. Kyungsoo stares at the sum unblinkingly for long enough to dry his eyes. 

 

“This is.. a joke, right?” Sehun’s voice shakes, just as his body, and Junmyeon nods besides him.

“This can’t be true. Who was this man to possess all this money?” 

 

Notary Cha sends them a softened look, the shock in the boys’ features saddening. He uses his remoter once again and a moment later a photo of Son Eric, a man with undeniably gorgeous features and a tall, robust body wrapped up in a fine suit, meets the five’s eyes for the first time.

 

“Your father was an entrepreneur. He was a good man who has always used his money to help poorest countries with engineering projects. Unfortunately, his job itself brought him away from all of you.”

“Doesn’t sound legit enough to get random women pregnant and then leave them.” Kyungsoo intervenes, ironic, and it brings Baekhyun and Sehun to hold back a laugh.

 

Notary Cha shrugs with simplicity. “Your father never wanted to buy your compassion, Kyungsoo-sshi.”

“Oh he just bought mine, for sure.” Baekhyun grins from his seat at Kyungsoo’s left, receiving a judging look from Luhan. Notary Cha laughs softly before taking a paper in hands and reading it carefully. “I understand, money is the point. The total each of you is supposed to receive is-“

 

4.170.020.120” Kyungsoo finishes, eyes fixed on the sum shown up on the wall, and brings all the eyes to look at him in shock.

“Wow.” Sehun says with scared admiration “One of my brothers is a genius.” 

His giggling observation draws a glare from Kyungsoo, who shivers at only hearing the word ‘brother’ coming out from a boy he has never met before so easily. 

 

“So,” Junmyeon speaks up, the thought of that incredulous amount of money having slowly taken on his mind until he felt his world turning upside down completely “We just what.. sign up a contract and we’re billionaires?” He keeps his tone cautious, yet it bursts out with joy. His question brings all the others to send Notary Cha a serious, questioning look. 

 

The man nods. “That’s what your father has decided, yes.”

“Hurray for dad, then!” Baekhyun celebrates, throwing his hands up in the air as all the things he has always wished to have but couldn’t afford start materializing in his mind. Kyungsoo sends him an annoyed look but before he can say anything, Notary Cha speaks up again.

 

“There’s just a little something to take care of before we can transfer the money to you bank accounts.” 

“I knew there was going to be a trick.” Sehun snorts, before frowning “Wait, I still don’t have a bank account?” 

Notary Cha ignores him, hurrying to change the layout of the projector to a photo of what everyone recognize to be the Grand Canyon, in Arizona. As the boys observe the photo with raised brows, he proceeds with taking a fine urn out from under his desk.

 

“Is that a shaker?” Baekhyun blinks “Notary Cha, isn’t it a little bit too early to drink?”

Kyungsoo thoughtlessly slaps his head at those words. “Are you really this stupid? That’s an urn, you dumb.”

“Urn.” Junmyeon repeats, his voice a bit scared and uncomfortable as he observes the big object.

 

Patting the urn, Notary Cha sighs patiently before nodding. “This urn contains your father’s ashes. He wanted his sons to set him free here, at the Grand Canyon in Arizona, a dear place for him. Once you’ll prove the accomplishment of his last will, boys, I’ll immediately proceed with giving each of you his part of the inheritance.” 

 

“Wait, wait, wait.” Sehun exclaims then, cautious just as the other four as he observes the urn and then the Grand Canyon photo and then the urn again “We have to take that thing to America?”

Notary Cha beams with excitement, “Amazing, isn’t it? Have you ever been to America?”

“Are you kidding me?” Kyungsoo says, incredulous “I’ve never met this man before and I should fly around the globe with his ashes in hands?”

“Besides, I can’t afford a journey in America.” Junmyeon adds in a depressed voice, but Notary Cha winks at him before he can continue. 

 

A little metallic box is suddenly put on the desk. “Here are your tickets and $5.000 for various expenses during the journey.” 

The five men stare at the box unblinkingly under Notary Cha’s amused eyes until the latter breaks up into a little laugh and asks, “So, what are your thoughts?” 

 

Junmyeon, Luhan, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Sehun study each other’s now almost glowing faces carefully, until Baekhyun first opens up into a wide, excited grin and exclaims, “What could our thoughts be, let’s go to America!” 

 

Junmyeon yells after him, too happy for his own good, while Luhan smiles shyly and Kyungsoo hurries to take the metallic box in his hands as Baekhyun and Sehun share a high-five.

“Hey wait,” Baekhyun says then, eyeing Kyungsoo wearily “Why should you take the money? I’m pretty sure the shortie with chicken legs here is older than you.” he observes, pointing Junmyeon with his left hand.

 

Everyone tries to hold their laughs as Junmyeon pales. “Sorry, are you perhaps talking about me?” 

“Well, I’m not talking about gorgeous pointy-nose for sure.” Baekhyun shrugs, making Luhan blush at the supposedly compliment. Junmyeon’s face drops, just as Sehun bursts out laughing for real this time and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. 

 

“We should leave Kyungsoo-sshi the money.” Luhan suggests then “He seemed good with numbers.” 

“I’m still older.” Junmyeon says with a glimpse of annoyance, standing up to go stealing the box from Kyungsoo’s hands “I’m 31, who offers more?” 

 

Baekhyun shrugs, “23.”

“19.” Sehun adds, and Luhan lets out a soft ’26’ besides him.

“26?” Baekhyun and Sehun exclaims in unison, shocked, widening their eyes so much they resemble Kyungsoo for a moment.

“No way.” 

Luhan jerks away as Baekhyun fixes himself besides him to study his face with incredulousness. “My God, you look like a baby. What’s your secret? Did you ever do lifting?”

 

Junmyeon takes advantage of the little mess to put the box in his bag while Kyungsoo rolls his eyes just one other time. 

“Do I really share DNA with these people?” he asks, horrified, to a deeply amused Notary Cha. 

 

The old man smiles widely as the five messily start exiting his room, talking and arguing with one another about the strangest things already, before he calls them back while softly waving Son Eric’s urn back and forth.

 

“Aren’t you forgetting about the most important piece of the puzzle, boys?” 

 

Baekhyun laughs immediately, going back to take the urn with an amused ‘We were forgetting about dad’ that makes Kyungsoo and Luhan, and Junmyeon too, cringe, for different reasons. As Baekhyun shakes the urn in front of Junmyeon’s eyes with Sehun, because they have already learnt the older is somehow scared of it, Kyungsoo rushes down the streets with a headache already knocking him down. 

 

The prospective of 4billions changing his life forever is what should matter, but he still can’t help seeing trouble coming.

A journey to America, together with an urn and four monsters who, apparently, are his brothers, doesn’t sound promising at all.

 

 

 

 

____

 

A/N

 

Okay so the first chapter is gone.. thoughts? Sehun is my spirit animal I swear XD

 

Thank you all for the subscruptions anyway <3