FIRST, SECOND, AND THIRD STEP

3 Steps to ‘I Love You’

Warning: quite a long one-shot (although I think you guys are used to my style; haha!); beware of some cheesy lines. :p here goes…

 

                “Ok everyone! Let’s take five!” Taeyeon announced as soon as the song ended. The rest of the members plopped down the floor and tried to catch their breath. They have been practicing diligently since SM finalized their comeback.

 

                Seohyun got up first. She had just finished drinking her second bottle of Gatorade when her phone rang. She dragged her feet as she rummaged her bag for that phone. As soon as she saw the message, a smile instantly crept into her face. Her unnies noticed this and didn’t miss the opportunity to .

 

                “Kyaaaa! Seohyunnie’s so in love!” (Sunny)

                “I bet he finally saw that picture! Hahaha!” (Jessica)

                “All it takes is one text from her nampyeon and her exhaustion is gone! Haha!” (Tiffany)

                “Why are you blushing, maknae? Hahaha!”  (Yuri)

                “How long has it been and you two are still not over the ‘honeymoon’ phase?! I really need to get myself a man this 2014!” (Taeyeon)

                “So, did he see your picture already? What did he say?! Kyaaa!”

                “Jung Yonghwa must be going nuts on the other side of the world when that picture of yours hit the internet. Hahahhaa!” (Hyoyeon)

                “Palli! Did he tell you what his reaction was when your comeback teaser picture was released? Kyaaa!” (Sooyoung)

 

                Seohyun couldn’t wipe off that silly grin on her face. She didn’t say a word as she showed them the message on her phone. Below her comeback picture was the caption:

                *jashik! How can u do this to me when I’m miles away from you? Wait till I get back to korea Hy~un! And can you please stop being so beautiful, hot, and y at the same time? P.S. I love you. I can’t wait to be with you again.*

 

                Her unnies haven’t recovered from screaming “KYAAAA!!!!” when Jung Yonghwa flooded her phone with his text messages. They huddled closer to her as she read the texts out loud.

 

                *how much would it cost me to buy that picture & take it all down from the internet? I don’t want your fanboys to be drooling at it. >.<*

                *Hy~un. I can’t concentrate. It’s your fault if I forget the lyrics to the songs later!*

                *where’s the oxygen? Nurse Seo! Can u give me CPR? I think my heart just stopped and that picture of yours took my breath away*

                *how can u stare at the camera like that? If I was the photographer, I would’ve melted on the spot*

                *my buin is the prettiest of so nyuh shi dae. Your unnies have nothing on you. hahaha!*

                *joohyuy, I miss you so bad.*

                *why did u let SM include your teaser pic in the first batch of release? u could’ve waited until we’re in the same country. Nappeun yeoja. How can u torture me like this?*

                *seo joo hyun, I love you ! I love you! I love you!*

                *saranghae*

                *saranghaeyo, joohyun-ah*

                *I won’t call u right now because hearing your voice would make me go crazy*

                *don’t call me! I don’t want to do something reckless and catch the first flight back to korea!*

                *can u reply to my texts after the concert? I don’t think I can handle you teasing me like this.*

                *I love you*

               

                Seohyun was blushing madly and she felt like on cloud nine. She didn’t even bother hiding all her giddiness, squeals, and never ending comments about how she’s got the best boyfriend in the world (although Sooyoung and Yoona would occasionally refute that).

 

                “Aigoo. I think uri maknae will never get over Jung Yonghwa’s cheesy lines. It’s been years and yet it still has the same effect on her. Look! Look at her! Aigoo. Kyeopta. I still can’t believe the youngest left me, the oldest unnie in the single woman’s club. Ok I think we’ve had enough rest. Get back to your places everyone!!!”

 

                As the members of SNSD prepared themselves for another grueling hour of practice, Seohyun received a final text from Yonghwa.

 

                *I will get my revenge Hy~un. Just wait for CNBLUE’s comeback teasers. :p love you.*

               

heart+divider.png

 

                “Ok, I think we’ve had enough for now. Why don’t we take a break?” As soon as they heard the word ‘break’ the CNBLUE members quickly set aside their instruments and lied down on the sofa/floor. Yonghwa was gulping down his second bottle of water when his phone rang.

 

                *what kind of suit are you wearing in that poster Jung Yonghwa?!*

                *no matter how odd it looks, you’re still so handsome*

                *how can you do this to me? I can’t stop staring at your picture*

                *jung yonghwa!!! I miss you! what time will u be back in the dorm?*

                *oppa..stop looking so damn fine.*

                *how much would it cost me to take down all those pictures from the internet? I don’t want any other girl looking at what belongs to me.*

                *yonghwa-yah, you know that I love you right? I love you!*

                *yo~ng!!! <3*

                *you weren’t kidding when u said that you were going to take revenge. I regret not listening to you! how can u expect me to concentrate on my musical tonight?*

                *for me, my definition of love is simple. Love is only you, Jung Yonghwa. Saranghae*

                *argh! How can you look so hot and huggable at the same time? The way you bit that apple…aaaahhh!*

                *oppa..*

                *you have a twitter account?!*

                *stop posting selcas please. Just send it to me. I understand now why u got so jealous over my tweets. I’m sorry.*

                *don’t u dare undo another button jung yonghwa!*

                *I wish I could follow u but ur fans might not like it. L*

                *I love ur username..:)*

                *yong oppa stop it. I’ve had enough of the JYHEffect! I keep forgetting my lines.*

                *y~ong*

                *I love you.*

 

                The blue boys just shook their heads as their hyung smiled so widely while repeatingly saying, “jashik” “aigoo joohyuy” “hahaha! I knew it!” “nado saranghae.”

 

                “Hyungsoonim must’ve seen the pictures and narration teaser. There’s no other explanation for hyung’s behavior.” (Minhyuk)

                “It’s only going to get a lot worse when the actual music videos are released.” (Jungshin)

                “Aigoo. At least CNBLUE’s gets to have good songs out of their cheesiness. Haha!” (Jonghyun)

 

heart+divider.png

 

Amidst the killer schedules of their upcoming comebacks, the couple finally had time to be with each other. They were in Yonghwa’s bedroom, all cuddled up.

 

                “I thought I told you to stop being so pretty? I even saw other idols use your picture as their phone wallpaper!”

 

                “What about you, oppa?”

 

                “I’m not pretty!”

 

                “But I thought I told you to stop looking so hot! That MV teaser is overkill! Don’t try to reason out that you’re behind Minhyuk this time. Just the sight of you playing piano was enough to send your fangirls in a frenzy! Your pictures holding a bouquet got a lot of girls wishing to be your girlfriend instead. Hmp!”

               

                This was a silly thing to fight over. They knew and understood that their companies would try to sell their ‘image’ more so than their music but that doesn’t mean they can’t help feeling jealous. Seohyun pouted and pretended to be upset by turning her back against Yonghwa. He laughed as he caught her in a back hug and whispered words that immediately melted her jealousy.

 

                “It doesn’t matter how much other girls would throw themselves at me. There are only 2 fangirls that matter to me. ONE, would be my umma, but that’s a given. The second and most important of all, is YOU. you’re the only fangirl I’d ever date and spend the rest of my life with. So stop being so jealous Hy~un. You already have what others never will. Every part of me belongs to you. Saranghae.”

 

                She smiled, turned around, and kissed him. She hugged him tightly as she replied,

                “You’re the only fanboy that matters to me to. I love you, Yo~ng!”

 

                “By the way, your fans and our fans kept asking me to go watch your musical. Aigoo. If only they knew that I saw every single one of your performance since I came back to Korea! Should I tweet a picture of Seo Yeonwoo kissing the charismatic leader of CNBLUE in her sageuk attire? I think I have a dozen on my phone…now where is it? Hahahaha!”

 

                “Yah!”

               

                “Hahaha! I’m just joking. You know I would do everything to protect you right? Even from my own fans..”

 

                “Choding! I know, oppa. I’m doing the same for you. I wish we could just follow each other on twitter without causing a ruckus. But we both know that right now, that’s impossible.”

 

                “It’s ok, Hy~un. I can wait, our fans can wait. It’s been 4 years since WGM and they’re still here right? I’m sure gogumas won’t mind waiting a bit longer..just…we have to give them something more to hold on to. Haha! Speaking of gogumas, they’re the ones who kept tweeting me to go see your musical. Aigoo. If only I could tell them that I have seen Seo Yeonwoo multiple times, not just onstage but backstage as well! If only they knew the things I went through just to see it without getting caught! I have to watch it alone because it would be suspicious if I sit beside your unnies, manager, or parents. By the way, So Nyuh Shi Dae is taking advantage of being in charge of my disguises too much!

 

                I hate that halmeoni disguise the most! There was a little girl that got scared and told her parents that a ‘weird looking and creepy halmeoni who wears shades and scarves’ is sitting right next to them. Aigoo!”

 

                “Hahahaha! I wish I could’ve been there. But thank you, oppa. really. You don’t know how much it means to me having you there. I love you so much. Please don’t get tired of me..please?”

 

                “You’re worth all those stupid disguises, Hyun. That’s just a little sacrifice I’m willing to take to be with you. I will never get tired of you. Promise!”

 

                “Do you promise not to get jealous over my kiss scenes too?”

 

                “Aish. I understand that but I think I’ll always be jealous. But whatever. Those ‘kiss scenes’ in the musical are nothing. Mwoh? A kiss? You call that a kiss? Hahahaha!”

 

                “Huh! And what would you call a kiss, oppa?!”

 

                “THIS.”

 

                He said as he brought his face closer to hers and captured her lips in the sweetest kiss. Ah, it’s good to be young and in love.

 

heart+divider.png

 

It was 4:00am when he heard his phone ringing.

 

                “Yoboseyo?” his voice slurred as he answered the call.

 

                “OPPA! *hik* *sob* I…I’m so sorry to wake you up at this hour but I can’t help it. Waaah!”

 

                He immediately sat up, the bedside lamp, and was scrambling to get dressed.

 

                “WHAT’S THE MATTER HYUN?! WHERE ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU CRYING?! ARE YOU OK? TELL ME!”

 

                The only response he got was more sobbing.

 

                “HYUN! Where are you? I’ll be on my way!”

 

                “Oppa, no! don’t. I’m..i’m fine…I’m just…so sad…I’ve been reading this book…”

 

                He cursed inwardly. She called him at this ungodly hour just because of a book?!

 

                “It’s called The Fault In Our Stars. I haven’t finished it but it’s so touching and beautiful and I can’t stop crying. You have to read this too oppa! I am so happy that Fany unnie recommended this. It is so beautifully written…”

 

                So the culprit this time was Hwang Miyoung. He should ask her unnies to lay low on book suggestions. Hyun automatically buys him a copy of the same book and would question him on what he learned and what he thought about it. He tuned in back to what Hyun was saying.

 

                “I want us to have our own ‘ok’  oppa.”

 

                “What?” what is she talking about now? he’s never going to hear the end of it and the only solution to this is if he reads that damn book too. Aish!

 

                “There’s this other couple in the book, Isaac and I forgot his girlfriend’s name. They would say ‘always’ and it’s like their equivalent of I love you or a promise that no matter what happens, they’ll be together. Isaac has cancer and he was going blind, so yeah. And then, the main couple in the book, Hazel and Gus, came up with their own. The line said,

 

“Maybe ok will be our always. Ok? Ok.”

 

It’s so beautiful, simple, and romantic at the same time. The simple “ok” is like saying I love you, I promise to be with you forever, we will be together no matter what, and everything else rolled into one. I want our own version of ok, oppa! please! Maybe in that way, I can tweet that without being so obvious. Please, oppa? Can you think of making ours?”

 

“Why does it have to be me? I’m sure you can come up with anything and it’ll be even better than that line in the book.”

 

“Because it was the guy who has to think of it! please oppa!!”

 

He sighed. Anything for her.

 

“Ok.”

 

“Ok?”

 

“Ok.”

 

“Yey! You’re the best oppa! I already gave your copy of the novel to your manager. Be sure to read please! I love you!”

 

“Love you too.”

 

Leave it to Seo Joohyun to think way ahead of him. There’s no way out of this now. 

 

heart+divider.png

 

“Hyung? Are you…are you crying?” the rest of his dongsaengs came over to him, concern overpowering their voices. He quickly wiped his tears and clumsily shoved the book in his bag.

 

                “No.” he was going to make up another excuse when all his emotions took its toll on him and he ended up crying in Jonghyun’s arms.

 

                “Jonghyun-ah, Minhyuk-ah, Shin-ah, I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?”

 

                The 3 of them looked puzzled as Jonghyun patted Yonghwa’s back in order to calm him. He kept reciting some random lines until Jungshin settled the mystery once and for all. CNBLUE’s maknae found a copy of the book and held it up for everyone to see.

 

                “The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene.” Minhyuk said. He smiled and shook his head. No wonder hyung is such a mess. He could understand because Krystal made him read the book too.

 

heart+divider.png

 

They were back in Yonghwa’s bedroom. Seohyun was busy searching through the internet in his laptop.

 

                “They want a reaction video from SNSD too.”

 

                “That’s not necessary. The 9 of you would eat up all the broadcast time, especially you, Hy~un. Your review about the album was three pages long. It felt like I was reading a term paper.”

 

                “Ey. But you’re the one who asked me to write an extensive review. I’m just being the responsible sunbae in the music industry.”

 

                He ruffled her hair, set aside the laptop, and brought her closer to him. They were wrapped in each other’s arms when he said,

 

                “I got it. I have Yongseo’s version of “ok will be our always.””

               

                She sat up attentively and was eager to know the answer.

 

                “Really?! What is it oppa?! Tell me!!!”

 

                “It’s very simple. In fact, we can tweet it without having to be so suspicious.”

 

                “What is it? I’m excited already!”

 

                “It’s called, ‘3 Steps to I Love You.’ In short, how to say I love you in twitter, Yongseo style. Hahahaha!”

 

                “3 steps? What are the steps?”

 

                “Step 1.”

 

                She nodded in anticipation as he raised one finger.

 

                “Step 4.”

 

                Isn’t he supposed to say step 2? She was beginning to be confused because he held up 4 fingers now. Still, she decided to be patient.

 

                “and..step 3. TADAAA! Isn’t it cool? I’m such a genius! Hahahaha!”

 

                “MWOYAH?! What was that? Step 1,4,3?! I don’t get it!”

 

                “Hahahahaha! Say the numbers out loud, Hyun.”

 

                “1, 4, 3. Now what?!”

 

                “How can you not get it?! It’s so simple! You’re only 2 years younger than me so I know you know what those numbers meant in the English text language.”

 

                “I don’t!”

 

                “Aish! Fine. I’ll explain it to you:

              1.   I

4.   LOVE

3.  YOU

 

Yonghwa explained and emphasized it with elaborate hand gestures.

 

“You’re the one who has to say the first number, and then I’d reply with 4, and the two of us would say 3 at the same time. Others wouldn’t understand that. It’s like a secret code. We can shout out the numbers and it’s like saying I love you without having to say the words. You get it? 1,4,3! Now try it!”

 

She was still trying to figure out her feelings but she agreed to his request.

 

“1.”

 

“4.”

 

Finally. She understood it. She smiled at him and he smiled back as they chorused the last ‘step.’

 

“3.”

 

“See? Isn’t it amazing! This is better than, ok? Ok. If words fail, let the numbers speak! Hahaha! I’m so cool! I’m a genius!”

 

She felt teary-eyed. He’s a genius indeed. It was such a simple ‘3 step method’ but the effort and thought he put into coming up with it made her heart burst. She hugged him and kissed his cheek.

 

“You’re the best oppa! This is better than the ok line in the book! I love you.”

 

“Hahahaa! I know right? I’m such a cool namja chinggu. Hahahaha! Now, should we tweet?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“We don’t have to follow each other. You will just mention me first and then I’d answer back, and the third tweet won’t contain any mention but just numbers. Did you get that or was it confusing?”

 

“No. I got it. This is crazy, oppa, but I’m in.”

 

“Let’s show the idol world how to say I love you on Twitter, Yongseo style. Hahahha!”

 

The two of them got their phones and began their plan. Seohyun tweeted first.

 

From: @sjhsjh0628

@JYHEffect 1

 

They waited for a few minutes before he typed his response. The reaction was explosive.

 

From: @JYHEffect

@sjhsjh0628 4

 

The Twitterverse was in a chaotic state. All members from their respective group, individual, and couple fandoms (even haters tried to join in) were trying to decode the tweets. After an hour, they tweeted the final number, without any mentions, just as planned.

 

@JYHEffect         3

@sjhsjh0628        3

 

 

“There. Now that shouldn’t be a problem. Our companies can come up with whatever lame excuse. It’s not like we outright said anything about being together. To everyone else, it’s just numbers. But to us, it means a lot. I love you so much Y~ong.”

 

“I love you too, Hy~un. I don’t think it’ll take long for the gogumas to figure this out, though.”

 

As if on cue, they were flooded with mentions such as

OMOOO!!! YONGSEO TWEETED EACH OTHER!!!          

IDC IF IT’S JUST NUMBERS OR EVEN A FREAKING PERIOD. THEY TWEETED.NUFF SAID.

1..4…3? DOES THAT…MEAN…I LOVE YOU?!

143, I LOVE YOU?! YONGSEO TWEETED I LOVE YOU TO EACH OTHER!

KYAAAA! THEY INDIRECTLY TWEETED I LOVE YOU! HAHAHA! KYAAA!

YONGSEO IS REAL!

 

“Told you so.”

 

They both laughed but it all died down as they saw the caller id’s on their phones. Oops. They’ll have to deal with that later on. What matters is they were able to somehow ‘tweet’ those 3 words, even without the actual words. As they got out of his room to eat some snacks, they smiled at each other and repeated their own version of ‘ok’:

 

“1.”

 

“4.”

 

“3.”

 

The end.

 

Author’s Note:

 

LOL this was so random, and long. I got it from listening to Henry’s 1-4-3 (some comments on Youtube were like, ‘how does 143 mean I love you?’ I found it cute how some of the ‘older’ peeps explained it to the younger ones..generation gap? Lol. Not much) and the novel I mentioned. I haven’t finished reading that book but the lines are enough to leave me an emotional wreck. Ok? Ok. Hahahahaa!

 

That’s all. Thanks for reading. Hope you liked it. :D