The Boy in The Picture

A Light Within Darkness.

A/N: And the JongKey begins! Also, please send me more comments ;A; I live on those things

 

 

-3-

"You okay?" This was rare, coming from Mr. Kim Jonhyun the Dino. "You look like a zombie." 

Dark, round eyes settled on him for a moment, before closing as Minho buried his face into his arms and let out a soft groan. Luckily today not a lot of people went to the shop, since it was hot outside and they don't sell cold drinks or dessert. The freezer was small, so all they could squeeze in there were the milk and the cream for the coffee, and some other things like cheese slices for their sandwiches. 

Minho was behind the counter, his arms and head resting on it. Occasionally one of his colleague come over and ask him things, but he didn't reply. The Dino was irritatingly stubborn though.

"Yah. If you're sick or something go home. We don't want you to spread it to us," he said, prodding his head. "Get up." Minho groaned again, this time louder, before swatting his hand away. For the rest of the day he just sluggishly moved about, doing his work half-heartedly. Which was unlike Minho, and everyone noticed that. Though after Jonghyun's failed attempts to get him to go home and get some rest, the rest of his colleagues didn't try to talk to him. 

But this worried him, and although he bicker with Minho all the time, he still cared. He was his friend after all.

So that was why he was outside of his house with Jinki after work, knocking onto his door rather enthusiastically. They were just going to have something like a guys' night. Just to make sure that Minho was okay. 

Minho... was an interesting person. He appeared out of nowhere in their shop about a year ago, wearing worn out clothes and looking like he had just seen death. The man just walked into the shop and asked if he could work there. Back then the shop was still new, with limited workers so Jinki decided to interview him and he was polite, charming and very willing to learn. After a couple of trial days they took him in, and that was when their friendship started. They worked together behind the counter every Monday and Friday, taking the customer's order and setting up the deserts. And they worked in the back on the other days. He would often come to Jonghyun for help, since he had been working there since Jinki set up the shop. They were still friends even after he stopped working there.

A couple of weeks after he started to work there though, he asked Jonghyun for his opinion on which flat he should rent. 

It got him thinking. Was Minho homeless before coming to the shop? Where did he go after work? Where were his parents? Whenever they talked, he realized that Minho never mentioned anything about his family or history. There were none of the "When I was in school" or "I used to do this stupid thing" or anything. Everything they talked about was after he stepped into their shop; after he entered their lives. It was as if he didn't even exist before that.

Heck, they didn't even know which school he went to.

Jonhyun heard some rustles from inside, like paper, and some other strange noises. Maybe he was just making his flat a little tidier to greet his guest. Then the door opened and Minho peeked out, looking disheveled and not all that much better from this morning.

"Minho-ssi you look terrible," Jinki mumbled, quite shocked. Jonghyun couldn't blame him; they were used to the neat and tidy Minho. 

The door opened wider to let them in, and Minho greeted them politely. The flat was neat and small, and there weren't much things about. Nothing personal. No posters, pictures or anything like that. The living room was small, with only a wooden table and a brownish couch in front of an old and bulky TV. On the table was some newspapers, and a vase with some obviously fake and fading flowers. It just made the room even duller.

"Sheesh Minho," he said with a small laugh. "Do you even try? It looks exactly like the last time I saw it. Which was when you just moved in." He scowled at him for a bit, but didn't say anything in return. 

"Take a seat," he told them, and Jonghyun made himself comfortable on the couch.  Jinki sat down beside him, and pulled Minho down too. 

"Uh." Jonghyun grinned at the sight of him, looking somewhat confused and tensed. "I was going to get you guys something to drink..."

"We got this!" A bag full of junkies was waved in front of his face, much to his annoyance. "Coke or beer?" They chose beer.

The three drank in awkward silence, occasionally taking some of the snacks from the bag. Then Jinki spoke up, his voice loud in the thick silence.

"We should decorate your house some other time, Minho," he started. "It looks so scary. So plain." Minho shrugged. 

"I'm fine with how it is now."

"The TV looks like a black hole," Jonghyun piped in. "Maybe something will crawl out of it at midnight... Maybe a girl... with long, flowing black hair in a white dress...AAAAAGHG!!!" Both of them jumped, though for Minho it was probably because he was startled by the loud noise rather than scared.

"Ya! Jong don't scare me like that!!" 

"That's quite impossible though... No one fits in a TV," he mumbled, taking another swig of his beer. Jonghyun scowled at him. 

"You're too serious," he whined, sliding off the couch and onto the floor. "No fun..." No one said anything as he laid on the floor. This was way more boring than he thought. 

But then he saw something white poking out from under the couch. Like a small piece of paper. Probably a receipt or something. But he pulled it out and took a closer look. What else was he suppose to do? And he was bored, after all.

His heart suddenly thumped as he stared at the paper, which held a sketch of the most beautiful person he had ever saw. His throat tightened and his cheeks started to flame up as he carefully examined the sketch, a simple pencil one without too much details and shading, though it was enough to make out the contours of the person- no, a gorgeous boy's face. Sharp cheekbones, a small sweet smile and a pair of breathtaking eyes that resembled a cat, holding a strange kind of mischief in them. He reminds Jonghyun of elves, almost. 

He sat there under the table, completely mesmerized by the beautiful sketch of a beautiful boy. His finger brushed against the drawing slightly, wishing that he could really reach in and take the boy's face in his hands, feeling soft skin user his fingers-

"What the Jonghyun?" 

A hand reached out to swipe away the picture, but Jonghyun reacted fast enough to hide it away. He grinned at his friend.

"Oooohhhh what is this?" 

"Give it back!" Minho attempted to get the piece of paper again, but he didn't let him. It made him feel a little bad, but he couldn't help it. It was rare seeing Minho all riled up.

"Did you draw it? It's pretty!!" Jinki chirped in, taking a peek at the drawing. The Dino laughed evilly and ran off into the tiny kitchen. Minho shot up and went after him. 

"Is he your boooyfrieeeend?" he teased, though as he said the word, he felt his heart clench, a strange feeling settled on his stomach, but he brushed it off and focused on evading a furious Minho. 

In the end Minho was able to take it back, much to Jong Hyun's disappointment. But that didn't last for long. 

He rushed towards the couch gleefully again, and briefly noticed Jinki's confused expression before he reached under the couch, where he had found the picture, and his hand came in contact with something leathery and he pulled it out. 

A dark leather bound notebook.

It snapped open upon the violent yank, and papers scattered everywhere all over the room, and among them there were pictures. Eyes scanned over all of them, widening his shock. Some of the pictures were of the beautiful boy, and that sketch that he grew so much in love with did not do the boy justice. His beauty was far beyond, like a perfect artist's prized masterpiece. 

And on top of that, he had really cute red kitty ears.