Prologue: Status Report

Digital Love

Serial Code: Kim Jongdae, ‘Chen’
Unit Model: ‘Songbird’, First Edition, Prototype
Features: A capability to sing and perform a wide variety of genres and to achieve any pitch.
Design Technician: Kim Jun Myeon
Project Documenter: Kim Jun Myeon

Entry #001:
Jongdae responds well to all aural and oral tests, his ability to mimic pitch and tone is uncanny.

 

Entry #003:
Jongdae can move freely and without sluggishness. The movements look and feel human. The project is so far a success.

 

Entry #005:
Jongdae has begun to show a reculance to sing on command, only singing when absolutely necessary, it’s almost as if he is embarrassed of something. This may be a behavior bug to fix in later models.

 

Entry #007:
Jongdae has developed glitching in the vocal area which possibly stemmed earlier reculant behavior. Technicians will be looking over him to see where the problem has stemmed so a solution can be made for later models.

 

Entry #009:
Jongdae’s vocals are severely damaged, the process of looking for a solution has so far worsened the condition of the unit, he can no longer sing.
 

Entry #011:
Jongdae can no longer speak. The only form of communication he can make are distorted electrical sounds and beats. No problem was properly identified and no solution was found.

 

“…The ‘Songbird’ model has been discontinued after 001 unit(s) were produced but failed to meet industry standard. The remaining unit(s) are to be removed from the facility…”

 

Entry #013:
Jongdae has been sent to a karaoke bar in the city outside the facility. While he cannot communicate or speak, he will hopefully pick up some form of work there so he won’t be discarded. Why bother being formal now? These entries will disappear along with him. I wish I didn’t have to send him off, I designed him after all, I cared for him like a parent would a child, only much more quietly. It hurts to see your creation rise to such a point, only to come crashing down by no fault of its own. I’m so sorry.

 

Good luck, Kim Jongdae.