Defeat

High School Never Ends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “Hey, man, where were you?” Chanyeol claps Seungtae on the back as he slips into the seat beside said male, Seungtae swallowing down his sip of water and looking toward the taller and raising an inquisitive brow because he doesn’t recall making any rendezvous with the latter. “Kris and I were waiting for you at Amber’s party for like an hour and you never showed!”

    Ah. He’s talking about Friday evening. The night Suncheon won the basketball game. The night Seungtae was abducted by three goggleeyed-

    “I went home. Tired.” Seungtae answers wryly, chomping darkly into his sandwich, the once tasty lunch item tasting sour on his tongue all of the sudden as he glares down at his lunch tray. Chanyeol glances over at Sehun on Seungtae’s other side, the pale boy shrugging and ling noisily on the straw of his milk box as he taps away on his phone.

    “Uh...well, there’s a party at Taemin’s this wee...” The curly haired brune trails off when a light tap grazes his shoulder and a small piece of folded paper lands in front of him, Chanyeol glancing up to see the retreating back of someone he’s positive he doesn’t know. He picks it up, unfolding the message only to see it’s a hastily scribbled message and the handwriting is worse than his own (his is next to illegible). “‘Tell Jang Seungtae I’m still waiting for him to become one with me'...?” He sounds out, squinting at the swirly hangul characters and what he thinks is Spider Man but is apparently a word.

    Seungtae bites his tongue and Sehun snorts, both choking and spluttering from their facial orifices. Seungtae, coughing violently in his throat with a closed mouth reaches over, snatching the note with a bit more force than necessary as Chanyeol leans back, holding his hands up with no intent to fight. Seungtae’s brown brows furrow as he rips the paper to shreds, letting it sprinkle over his now unwanted food.

    “What’s your deal?” Chanyeol says in bewilderment, both ignoring the junior on their left who has to resort to giving himself the heimlich maneuver to spit out the straw he incidentally inhaled. “Who is that guy anyway-” Chanyeol turns his head toward the direction he had seen the stranger wander off to, meeting eyes with a blatant stare from across the lunchroom from a boy whose eyeballs are practically the same size as his fist due to his large glasses magnifying them so much. There are two others with their backs toward him, one also with spectacles glancing back only to look forward again as they hunch down.

    Isn’t that the lame table? Chanyeol frowns, never once recalling seeing anyone sit there, or seeing any of those three in his classes - but then again, he’s never had a reason to look over to that end of the lunchroom, nor his classroom.

    The male who had caught Chanyeol’s gaze flashed two thumbs up, grinning brilliantly at Chanyeol and he opens his mouth in what seems to be a laugh - only to have a clear retainer fall from his upper teeth and land on the table into his soup, resulting in a small splash that splatters a bit of tomato sauce onto his glasses, the male seeming unfazed as he swipes the back of his too-long sweater sleeve over his glasses and only smears red trails over them before he plucks his retainer from his bowl and shakes it, the other two at the table covering themselves accordingly from the mixture of veggie chunks and saliva,scolding while he nonchalantly slips it back into his mouth. He points to Seungtae, raising his brow questioningly as his kittenish lips curl into a friendly smile.

    Chanyeol, in all his good-hearted honesty, knew how gross he himself could be, but it was at that moment he realized he had competition and he was pretty disgusted by what he had witnessed.

    The male then had the audacity to bat his eyelashes, wiggling his fingers in a reserved wave and he looks like he’s giggling and dear god, what is going on here?

    “Is that what you were doing on Friday?!” Chanyeol exclaims, whipping his head towards Sehun only to realize Seungtae had disappeared. “Stop pounding your chest like that, you look like a caveman.” Chanyeol remarked snobbily as he raised his nose, standing up and sauntering away while Sehun continued to struggle with his milk straw.

 

 

 

 

    The constant sound of bouncing rubber sounds throughout the empty gym as Seungtae skillfully weaves the ball between his legs, keeping it out of reach from Kris’ long arms. He hops back, Kris quick to close the distance again to prevent any funny business but Seungtae can work his way around most anything, taking advantage of the split second it takes Kris to take a step and bounding past him, dribbling the ball protectively at his side as the squeak of Kris’ Jordans screech on his heels.

    In several strides they break the boundaries of the three pointer, Seungtae playing yet another trick and stopping suddenly, bending at the back and jogging backwards and Kris runs past by accident, Seungtae launching the ball while Kris is in the midst of turning around and it doesn’t even brush the rim as the ball shimmies down the net.

    The blare of an airhorn startles them, shortly followed by a sudden chant of “Jang! Seung! Tae! Jang! Seung! Tae!” being repeated as a pitiful amount of clapping fills the area. Several colored balloons fall from the bleachers and a towel with his name sloppily sewn onto it is waving at him. The redhead with the glasses is holding one end of the towel as he hollers, the boy with the black hair and large eyes gripping the other, the quietest of the three, while a brown-haired boy stood between them, jumping and cheering for Seungtae.

    “The hell is that?” Kris asks, pointing at the biggest nerds he’s ever seen as he looks toward Seungtae only to realize the other had disappeared. “Hey, hey,” The blond scowls, annoyed by the cheer gone to waste. “He won that round, but I won the most matches. Cheer for me.”

    The brown haired male in the center pauses, cocking his head to the side like a curious puppy before shrugging and returning to his jumping and waving of his gold and red pom poms. “Yay Kimmy!”

    “My name is Kris!”

 

 

 

 

    Jongin tries not to say anything about Seungtae’s strange behavior, the older male stopping at random to glance warily around as though he were on the lookout for a sniper or something, questioning the younger if he’s seen three nerds, sending Jongin to walk a few paces and making the younger determine whether the coast was clear or not - Jongin always responding ‘Sure’ because he doesn’t know what the hell he’s looking for.

    He’s never seen Seungtae so on edge, or behaving so peculiarly. He’s usually funny, calm, cool, really. He sees that Seungtae slowly returning as they chatter about the latest video games they played, exchanging shooting techniques and the best cheat codes to gain more reward for better weapon upgrading; They continue the CoD talk, planning to co-op tonight to take out the zombies while they stroll to the parking lot as school let out, heading towards their respective cars.

    Seungtae turns his head, digging through the side pocket of his backpack while Jongin’s keys are already in his hand, nearing his car parked beside Seungtae’s black sports car only to slowly come to a stop as Seungtae takes a few steps past him before pausing, realizing the younger had halted. He sees the ash blond stare towards a certain direction, Seungtae following his gaze.

    “What’s wro...” He asks, trailing off when he sees Jongdae splayed on the hood of his car, stationed on the soapy surface on his hand and knees as he wipes sudsy circles on the windshield, the male’s hot pink shorts riding extremely high on his thighs while his wet grey v-neck clings to his thin figure. The redhead is perched on top, holding a running hose and streaming water down the back window and his attire is really no better. The little black haired one is respectively crouched at the front tire, meticulously scrubbing the silver rims and thankfully wearing what seems to be male clothes. The redhead had been nasally singing to a Girls’ Generation song and then he hits the chorus and all three of them join together as one and sing about getting boys and although the unison is perfect - Seungtae’s patience snaps.

    “YAH!” He shouts, scaring Jongin as well as the other three. The redhead with the hose startles the most, whipping his head towards Seungtae’s voice as the hose slips out of his hand and water spurts upward, sprinkling the brune on the trunk who startles and knocks the bucket of soap water he had beside him onto the raven haired one who yelps and lands on the hose, resulting in the rubber tube remaining pointed upward and more water raining down. The redhead attempts to reclaim the hose, reaching out valiantly but only vainly slipping in bubbles and he slides down the windshield, colliding into the brown haired male and the two fall sideways off of the hood, landing on the wide-eyed boy whose eyes grow bigger from the crushing weight slammed onto his stomach.

    All is quiet for a long moment, Jongin and Seungtae remaining deathly still as the jammed hose rains water on them as well, the three criminals remaining in their pile.

    “Get away from my car.” Seungtae says calmly, looking at his car instead of the sad stack next to it. “One more thing like this, I’ll end you all.” He growls, pink lips curving into a scowl. Jongin, intimidated because this is the first time he’s ever seen the friendly, light-hearted Seungtae act in such a way, feels the air is heavy. He figures this is why Seungtae had been so nerved today. Jongin is much like Seungtae, he’s also laid-back and social when he’s not unconscious, and feeling offended for the older and being influenced by his annoyance, he frowns at the three, pointing to the light spray of soap on his white Genesis Coupe, a pricey Korean vehicle.

    “Leave him alone.” Jongin spits. The redhead and raven’s expressions falter, immediately revealing which ones were the faint hearted and probably the easiest to push around, but the brown haired male with the glasses stares long and hard at him before slowly standing from his place on top of the pyramid, twisting the knob on the handle of the hose and stopping the spray that has them all and half the student parking lot soaked. He drops it, slowly approaching the two males, the sound of water squish

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter