Under The Moon's Wandering Eyes

How to Cure a Frozen Heart

The midnight wind howled under the starry sky of the harbor city of Luna. It was warm, just like any other spring night. The bay rippled with small waves, crashing onto one another and the decks. Moonrays seeped through the thick layers of clouds. As if understanding the Moon's unspoken purpose to bring a little light over the sleeping side of the Earth, the clouds slowly distanced themselves from one another, enough to reveal the Moon on its fullest brightness. And so the sky was awake.

People should be sleeping at such a late hour, but apparently, a pair of brothers was awoken along with the midnight sky. One was a young boy, age of four, throwing a snowball at another boy. He was older than the first one by three years, wearing a white shirt and a pair of equally white loose pants, running and rolling around the ice-covered ballroom floor as he tried to dodge his brother's snowballs.

"Watch this!" Kyungsoo yelled, throwing another snowball toward his brother, but missed it this time because Junmyeon jumped to the side. A snowball floated on his brother's palm, and Kyungsoo squeaked when it hit him. And so the snow fight started. None of them would stop until they were completely spent and their clothes soaked with snow. Junmyeon laughed loudly when he made his snowball exploded right in front of Kyungsoo with a mere click of his fingers, surprising the younger boy and making him fall on his bottom for the second time that night.

Junmyeon, the firstborn of King Siwon and Queen Taeyeon, was born with an ice magic within him. Like a spirit of winter. It wasa such a rare power people only had heard from the legendary story of Snow Queen from hundreds of years ago. The kingdom had never seen his power as a threat, nor would they use their first heir's magic as a thing to conquer other lands. Fortunately, such a beautiful magical boy was born with such loving parents and wise rulers of their small kingdom of beautiful fjord and mountains. When Junmyeon was old enough to control it, or apparently, the very same year he got a younger brother named Kyungsoo, the King told him that his power was meant to bring the happiness and joy of winter to other people. Of course, he was also told never to hurt people.

It was no longer an unusual routine for the two brothers. They'd secretly play with Junmyeon's magic, creating snow and ice when their parents and maids were not looking—well, they knew, actually. They just let the brothers think that they had a secret because it thrilled them and they loved it. It was either midnight or when their parents were away, and before someone could see, Junmyeon would raise both his hands up in the air, and the snow and ice disappeared into thin air, all the fun was safely kept in their memories.

Back to the ballroom which was now covered with ice and snow, Kyungsoo, the little ball of sunshine he was, somehow managed to dominate the game by aiming two snowballs at a time, and almost all of his attempt worked despite how little his palms were. He laughed at the sight of his older brother wailing in yield, but he never intended to stop. Kyungsoo never listened to Junmyeon. It was Junmyeon who always ended up using his magic after he witnessed his brother's round, pleading eyes looking right back into his.

"Kyungsoo, slow down!" Junmyeon gasped as another ball of snow hit his cheek. Being hit repeatedly by snowballs on the face was not comfortable. He didn't even have a chance to breathe normally and throw snowballs at his younger brother in retaliation. Again, it was a game. Their game. No one gave up.

Junmyeon stepped back in reflex, unaware with the fact that they were standing on layers of crystal clear ice he created. Just when he was about to make another snowball with his magic, his foot slipped, and the boy was thrown back by the gravitation. As Junmyeon fell, his palm unexpectedly shot a burst of ice straight to Kyungsoo's head, knocking the younger prince down onto the icy ground with a small, helpless whimper. Junmyeon watched it all in horror.

"Kyungsoo!" The prince ran to her brother's unconscious body, and gasped when he touched Kyungsoo's skin. It was no longer warm. It was cold, like his baby brother was frozen to death. Junmyeon put Kyungsoo's head on his lap, but his brother didn't budge. So the prince did the only thing a kid does when he's in trouble: he cried.

"Kyungsoo, no! Please wake up!"

As he cried into Kyungsoo's hair, the once beatifully icy room slowly turned colder. The ice froze the whole room, as if the magic had a mind on its own. It even froze the door. Junmyeon didn't look up when his father barged into the ballroom, using all his power to break the door down and rushing to his children with his wife.

"Junmyeon." Instead of anger, it was fear Junmyeon noticed coming from his father, who was looking at his unconscious brother. "What have you done?"

"Oh, no, my baby." Queen Taeyeon nearly sobbed as she hugged Kyungsoo close. "He's as cold as an ice."

"I-it was an accident, Father," Junmyeon didn't even care that his magic was starting to freeze more untouchable spots of the ballroom, even the window. "I'm so sorry..."

King Siwon grabbed his older son's hand, and dragged him along to the library, his wife trailing behind him. "We need to seek for help. Hurry." Junmyeon nodded, knowing what his father was talking about. The father and son tried to find an ancient book. One between so many books they had in the old library. Junmyeon nearly gave up until his father announced that he had found the book they were looking for. The King flipped between the pages, and ripped out a map from a chapter about trolls. It was told that trolls were ancient creatures resided in the deepest of the woods and had magic powers for healing. Junmyeon looked up through the window. The night was still so long, but they had to be quick, for Kyungsoo.

The royal family rode their two horses as fast as they took them. Junmyeon hugged his father's back, the thoughts of accidentally putting Kyungsoo in danger haunted his mind.

What if his brother couldn't make it? Junmyeon bit his own finger in fear. What if he killed Kyungsoo? As the king's horse marched to the north, its every footstep froze the ground behind them, making an ice trail shine from the moonlight's reflection in the dark forest.

A few meters to where the king's horse left its icy trail in the forest, a little boy, a bit older than Junmyeon, was making his way home with his own baby brother. Kris his name was, and his younger brother was named Lu Han. Well, there was no home for them, actually. The brothers were orphans. Hearing the hurried steps of horses right behind their back, the younger one turned to his back. He gripped on his brother's thick jacket.

"Kris-ge," Lu Han called out to his brother, who was busy feeding Ace, a furry white alpaca they had choosen as a pet. Kris turned around, and jumped out of his sled to inspect what his little brother had found.

"Ice? But how...?" Kris turned to Lu Han, and his brother nodded. There was no need for words. He pushed his brother onto the sled, and marched to follow the trail with the alpaca pulling the small sled to wherever the icy trail would lead them.

 

Two different things, connected with a little boy's magic, all occured under the Moon's wandering eyes. But it was not the end of that fateful night. The Moon diverted his gaze a thousand miles to the east of the city, where a lake was situated in the center of a forest. It was, just like in Junmyeon's city, midnight there. From under the frozen lake, The Moon could see a silhouette of a young man.

So he brought the young, lifeless man up. Slowly, the once dead body opened his eyes. His once jet black hair was now silver, and it shone under the moonrays. He looked up to the Moon, then at his surroundings. He was standing on the thin layer of eyes of a frozen lake. He tried to remember anything, just anything about himself, so he wouldn't feel so lost.

But only his name popped up his mind. No surname, no middle name.

Tao.

The young man sighed, then looked back up to the Moon. It was weird—he felt like someone was talking in his head, and he could've swore that the voice was coming from the moon. The voice told him a few things; that he was now Jack Frost, the spirit of winter. He had the power to control ice and snow. Tao was just going to ask a few more questions—like how did he end up here and where he was—but the voice was no longer audible, leaving the young man utterly lost.

Tao picked up a wooden staff lying beside his feet, and he swung it once. An icy line was formed all the way to a tree, which was now frozen by Tao's magic. The young man grinned. He could live with that.

He gripped the staff, and ed it down to the frozen lake beneath him. It turned even whiter with snowflake-like patterns, and the ice got thicker. He could feel it. This time, Tao laughed, like a boy who just found a new toy. He jumped up, and gasped in wonder when he realized another thing that brought a smile on his face: he was flying. In fact, his body was so light he was sure he could ride the wind and fly anywhere he wanted to.

Tao twirled around freely in the night sky, laughing loudly into the freezing air. His slanted eyes spotted a small village, and he quickly brought himself down. He didn't want to scare the villagers because he was flying. He decided to walk his way to the village. Might as well find someone who knew him there.

The village was a busy place, Tao noticed. Even in the midnight, some men were filling the main road, laughing and singing around a big bonfire. Tao smiled. Some of them looked his age. He was about to approach them, but someone just walked past him.

More like, that someone just walked through him.

Tao looked at the man in disbelief and fear, and before he even got the chance to turn away, another older man did the same. He walked through Tao's body. As if he wasn't even there. Tao tried to call out to them, even screamed at them. But no, no one paid attention. No one turned his way. Tao looked at his own self, breathing heavily in fear of what he just realized. A fact he had to bear from that moment until God knows how much longer.

He was a spirit. No one could see him.

 


 

A/N:

Hey there, readers! First of all, I'd like to thank you all for reading my first story written in English (even subscribing and upvoting! Where did all these angels came from ;_;). I'm so sorry if I made so many mistakes. Just point out whatever mistakes I made and I'll fix it right away. The beautiful poster was made by the one and only beautifulstranger, a former classmate of mine who just happened to have those amazing photoshop skills. I changed the plot a bit (I didn't plan to put Lu Han in this story), so that's why he's not in the poster she made ;_;

Anyway, it's nearly 11 pm here, and I have class tomorrow. Please do tell me your opinion about this story. And yes, this will be multichaptered, and I still have another ongoing krisoo fic (in Indonesian), but I promise I'll update as fast as I can. See you all in the next chapter ;)