Chapter 14

Management Affairs

CHAPTER 14

The Avengers was definitely not the kind of movie that Yuki loves to watch, but as for Mayu, it was like a godly movie. Everyone knew just how childish Mayu were. Name everything that excites a child. That’s the exact same thing that excites Mayu, except for the fact that she’s a completely grown adult. It’s not like Yuki had a choice to watch another movie when her girlfriend was repeating the word ‘Avengers’ the whole time on the way to the cinema.

“BEAT THEM UP, IRONMAN!!” Mayu screamed at the screen, gaining a few pair of eyes glaring at them.

“Shh... Mayu, people are going to get angry if you don’t keep quiet. This is the cinema, not your home.” Yuki, who was sitting beside Mayu calmed Mayu down before someone comes over and give them a warning.

As soon as they exited from the cinema, Yuki let out a yawn. Mayu noticed it and ased, “You’re tired, Yuki?”

“A little..”

“Do you want me to carry you again like the time in Hawaii?” Mayu grinned widely.

“Err... No. You were half dead in Hawaii. Don’t think I didn’t realize that your whole bady was shaking that time.” Yuki retorted with her whole body.

“Come on.. Hop on. You can sleep on my back.” Ignoring Yuki’s statement, Mayu showed her back to Yuki, gaining a sigh from the taller lady. Nothing can stop Mayu when she’s being persistent about something.

“It’s embarrassing to do it in public, Mayu. People are looking..” Yuki was still hesitating. Mayu did not want to stop asking Yuki to hop on, so she had no choice but to hop on Mayu’s back. But then again, Mayu’s back was soft and warm. Yuki could just lay her head on Mayu’s back all day long. “Are you sure you won’t mind? I’m heavy though.”

“Yuki, you’re my girlfriend. If I mind about little things like this, I’d be better off dead.”

“Shush, Mayu! I don’t allow you to say anything like that!” Yuki raised her voice a little and smacked her shoulder softly. 

“Yes, my princess. Now, where would you like to go?” Mayu said in a gentle and caring tone.

“Let’s go get some ice cream.” Yuki started wriggling her whole body in excitement.
“This will be the third ice cream you’ll be having though.”

“Ice cream now!” Yuki smacked Mayu’s back.

“Yes, princess!” Without hesitation, Mayu carried Yuki to the ice cream store once again and their date continues..


The next day in the office

Yuki looked over at the paper that Jurina was holding and smiled.“I guess it’s almost time for the event of the year, huh?” 

“Yeah. It’s in two weeks time.” Jurina leaned back on her chair.

“So... Who’re you gonna go with this year, Jurina?” Yuki asked with her usual sweet smile.

Jurina shot a weird look at Yuki. “Alright. If I’m not mistaken, this would be the second time you ask me this question since we stated working here. The first time would be the very first year we came in here. Every year after that it’s like we were fixed partners even without asking. Weird hearing this from you after so long.. Well, this could only mean one thing. You have someone else to go with, am I right?”

“Jeez, Jurina. I just asked one question and here you go ranting on about our history. And yes, I do have someone else whom I would like to go with. It’s M-”

Jurina finished off Yuki’s sentence with a completely unimpressed tone and expression. “Mayu. Why am I not surprised?”

“You sound unimpressed.” Yuki pouted a little at Jurina’s reaction.

“Yeah, I am.” Jurina folded her arm. “You’d rather go with somebody you’ve just met half a year ago than me. What more that person is Mayu.”

“Yeah, sure. As if you have nobody else to go with.” Yuki asked with a sarcastic tone. “Number one, Mayu’s my girlfriend. So, it’s alright for me to go to the ball with her. Number two, I don’t understand why you have this dislike about me being with Mayu.”

“According to her personality, I don’t think that she’s someone who’s serious with this relationship thing. I just feel that you don’t suit one another.” Jurina said straight to the point.

“Opposites attract. You don’t have to worry so much about my relationship matters, Jurina. I’ll take care of it myself. And you take care of your Princess Rena.”

Once Jurina heard ‘Princess Rena’, she smiled a little. The word Rena seem to have a happy pill effect on Jurina nowadays. “Just make sure you prove me wrong, Yuki.”

“Don’t worry. You’re wrong. As always.” Yuki giggled, earning another smile from Jurina.

Few hours had passed and finally, Mayu and Rena’s shifts were over.

“You don’t have to wait for me, Mayu. I’m meeting up with Jurina in her room. She’s sending me home today.” Rena said with her eyes still fixated to her cellphone.

“Oh yeah? Says who I’m going to wait for you? I’m sending Yuki home. So, depending on what happens later on, I might be home really late or might not be home at all. So, it is YOU who don’t have to wait for me. I’m going up to her room to meet her now.” Mayu said out with a proud tone as if she had just achieved something big.

“Sure. Big deal. Just go already.” Rena rolled here eyes. “Jurina told me that she might be a little late. So I’ll just wait for her awhile.”

“Alright then.. Suit yourself.” Mayu walked over to the elevator and proceeded to Yuki’s room.

When Mayu reached Yuki’s room, she was about to knock on the door when the door popped open. “Oh, hey Mayu. I knew you were coming.”

“So is this why people say lovers have mind reading powers.” Mayu made a joke and it made Yuki giggle a little.

“I guess so.. Come in..” Yuki smiled and welcomed Mayu into the room.

Mayu entered the room and immediately flew towards the couch and laid on it with a pose before looking at Yuki seductively. “Draw me like one of your French girls, Yuki.”

Yuki giggled at Mayu’s playfulness. “It’s weird hearing that from you, Mayu. I thought that the y role was supposed to be my role.”

As soon as Mayu heard that, she grinned widely. So wide that her cheeks could tear apart. She immediately shot up from the couch, waiting for Yuki to lie on the couch. Yuki let out a fake cough, “But then again, this is still my office. So, I’m not going to do that.” causing Mayu to pout in disappointment. Yuki then stated. “I was just about to call you into my room when I heard your footsteps outside. Do you know why I wanted to call you in?”

“Because you miss me so much and you wanna kiss me right now?” Mayu grinned like a kid while doing a little kissy face.

Yuki giggled. “Yes, I do miss you and want to kiss you but that’s not why I wanted to call you into my room.”

“Hmm... Let me guess... I get a raise?”

“Nope.”

“Promotion?”

“Nope.”

“You wanted to go on a date with me?”

This time, Yuki rolled her eyes upwards and thought about it. “Pretty much something like that... I want you to be my partner for the AKB hotel annual ball. What do you say?”

“Hmmm? Are you asking me out? ” Mayu acted dumb and blinked her eyes at Yuki. “I’m really hard to get, Yuki.” She loves teasing Yuki like this. Making Yuki feel awkward for asking Mayu out.

Before she knew it, there was an angry vein on Yuki’s forehead, the only thing was that her face was still smiling. “Okay then. Since you’re so hard to get, I’m just going to ask Jurina to be my partner. She’s been my partner for the past few years. I bet she wouldn’t mind.”

“Wait!” It didn’t even take one second for Mayu to reply. “You’re not going without me being your partner, Yuki.”

“Oh? I thought you were really hard to get?” This time it was Yuki’s turn to act dumb and blinked her eyes.

“I must be out of my mind to say something like that. No, Yuki. I’m sorry. I’ll be your partner. Seriously, what’s up with you and Jurina’s relationship anyway? You seemed a little too close to be just friends. Even dancing partners?”

“Are you getting jealous?” Yuki moved closer towards Mayu.

“Of course I am! I’m your girlfriend, right? What kind of g-” Mayu was silenced by a soft kiss on her lips. It lasted for maybe a few seconds. Mayu’s temper went down in a flash. 

As Yuki pulled away, she then whispered softly in Mayu’s ear. “Are you still jealous now?”

“Not anymore.” Mayu smiled.

“Alright, back to topic. Do you know how to dance ballroom?” Yuki asked.

“Does it matter?”

“It’s a really big event, Mayu. Only those who knows ballroom dancing will be allowed into the hall. It will be attended by a lot of renowned people so I can’t have you tripping over and making fun of yourself on an important event.”

Mayu shot a suspicious expression at Yuki. “Are you telling me all these so that the guests won’t make fun of you on that day?”

“I’m not doing this for myself, Mayu. I’m doing this for you. I don’t care if they make fun of me. I just don’t want them to see them making fun of YOU. You’re an important person to me. So, I will feel uncomfortable if I see anyone mocking you.” Yuki spoke the truth.

Mayu fell in love with Yuki all over again and grinned happily. “Aww... This is why I love you so much, Yuki.”

“Exactly. So, do you know how to dance?” Yuki asked again.

“As a matter of fact, I do.” Mayu answered. “I attended prom night during my university life. I guess I remember how to dance ballroom.”

“Good. So, there’s no need for me to teach you.” Yuki seemed satisfied.

“If that’s the case, I’m more worried about Rena.” Mayu said.

“Hmm? Why?”

Rena knocked on Jurina’s door. Then Jurina voiced out from inside the room. “Come in.” Rena entered the room and saw Jurina sitting at her usual place, looking at a piece of paper intently, took a glance at Rena and then back at the paper. “You’re just in time, Rena.”

“Hmm? Just in time for what?” Rena tilted her head a little and asked with a questioning tone.

“Have a seat.” Jurina walked over and pulled out the chair for Rena just like how a gentleman would. Guess these little gestures about Jurina that made Rena fall in love with her in the first place. Rena sat down and then Jurina started. “So, every year our hotel will organize an annual ball. I was thinking if...” 

As soon as Rena heard the word ‘ball’, she freaked out. “A BALL?? Hold up hold up hold up!” Rena eyes were so wide, they almost popped out of the sockets causing Jurina to be surprised.

“Relax, Rena. It’s just a ball. Why do you look so afraid?” Jurina smiled a little at Rena’s cute reaction.

Rena knew that Jurina was definitely going to ask her to the ball and she was in fact really happy with it. The only thing holding her back was the fact that she didn’t know how to dance. Zero knowledge about ballroom dancing. Heck, she had zero knowledge about dancing, even. 

“I’m thinking you should go to the ball with me..” Jurina finally finished off her sentence.

“Er....errr.....” And of course Rena started stuttering. She wanted to say yes to Jurina, but she was afraid that she would make fun of herself. 

Seeing that Rena was hesitating a lot, Jurina nodded in disappointment. “I see. You don’t wanna go with me.” 

“Of course I would love to go with you!” Rena answered Jurina immediately. “It’s just that....”

“Just that what?” Jurina was beginning to get frustrated until she thought about something. “Ah....” Jurina slowly walked towards Rena while flashing her grin. “Could it be that you don’t know how to dance?”

Rena’s face flashed red in embarrassment because she was completely spot on. Rena just couldn’t bring herself to reveal such a thing. For a lady of her age, it’s weird for someone who had never even gone to even a prom before. Even Mayu went to prom a few times before during their college years. “Well.. What can I say?” Rena scratched her head in embarrassment.

Jurina smiled and nodded. “I see. Since you’re already off duty now, let’s do this right now.” 

“Hmm? Do what?” Rena didn’t have a single clue about what Jurina was talking about.

“Something fun.” Jurina chuckled and put on some calm and soothing music before pulling on the back of Rena’s chair.

“Ugh... No. I’m not standing until you tell me what you’re gonna do.” Rena muttered, gripping the edge of the desk to keep from being pulled away.

“Awww.. Come on, Rena. Stand.” Jurina whined a little and pulled instead on her arm this time. Rena almost forgot that Jurina actually knows how to whine a little. After all, she had a serious case of double personality. She had a tough and strict side and the other side of her is like a child. It seemed like Jurina’s little whine was too much for Rena to take and she started loosening herself from the table, bringing Rena to a standing position.

Jurina then drew her to the middle of the room and brought Rena’s hands to her neck, interlocking her fingers at Jurina’s nape. Rena was on the verge of smiling like a mad woman

“We’re going to dance right now. I’m going to teach you some ballroom step by step.” Jurina replied with a chirpy voice, giving Rena her mega-watt smile.

All Rena could do is just smile sweetly back at Jurina. "Fine, but it's not going to be my fault if I step on your foot.." She puffed out air from her cheeks. It took half a minute for them to be in a proper stance.

And then Jurina replied with something that Rena could not come back with. “Sure. As long as you agree to be my partner, I’ll let you step my foot a hundred times.” Jurina’s single sentence made Rena giggle while blushing. “Alright. I need you to follow my steps, alright? I’ll lead you.” And then they started to dance.

Rena adjusted her grip and followed Jurina’s lead. For the first few minutes, Rena was so nervous that her palms were all sweaty. This would be the very first time Rena danced like this.

“And twirl now.” Jurina guided. And... “Ouch.” Rena accidentally stepped on Jurina’s foot.

“I warned you.” Rena playfully showed her tongue at Jurina and smiled.

“I’m not even mad.” Jurina replied with her tongue as well. “Forget about it. You’ll be a better dancer by making mistakes. It’s understandable. Now back in position.”

They continued once again. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3. Box. Box. Box. Box. Rena slowly began to get the hang of it while Jurina, with her eyes closed, pressed her hand into Rena’s back, leading them in more adventurous circles over the carpet. The only thing was Rena’s footings. Rena was concentrating too much on getting her feet right as she kept on looking down.

“Look at me and concentrate,” Jurina instructed intensely, nudging Rena’s chin up with one long finger. “Eye to eye and count out loud if you have to, but don’t look down.”

Rena locked eyes with Jurina, doing her best to keep her feet off of Jurina’s in the process. The turning did not improve so much and their shoes became more worn by the step.

“You must hold me tighter, Rena,” Jurina said, contorting to push Rena’s hand on her back against her harder. “A firm hand is a necessity for ballroom.”

Rena pressed her hand firmly as Jurina instructed. Jurina tilted forward with the motion and a smirk curled the corner of his lips. “Much better.” And with that, they boxed again, Rena’s face slightly hotter than it was before. Just when she thought that they were standing close enough just now, Jurina had to pull her in closer.

“Don’t you think you’re standing too close to me?” Rena said softly while keeping eye contact with Jurina.

“Are you sure? Because I don’t think we’re standing close enough.” Jurina replied with a smirk on her face.

Rena froze at that moment. She didn’t want Jurina to pull her any closer. Her heart would explode. Jurina suddenly twirled Rena around. “Come on, loosen up a bit! How are you supposed to dance?”

“Well, I just started dancing like half an hour ago so you can’t blame me for not knowing how to dance yet.” Rena said in a playful tone.

“Oh, hush!” Jurina laughed and pulled Rena around the room. She continued guiding her and Rena followed easily enough since Jurina seemed to be good at leading her. Every now and then, Rena would step on Jurina’s foot but of course Jurina didn’t mind at all. For the rest of the evening and the week for that matter, Jurina taught her how to dance ballroom even when she protested (as if). And every morning, Rena would wake up with pains in her legs and back but with a smile on her face, waiting for the ball night to come.


Chapter 14
END