1/1

You Are The Best Thing (that's ever been mine)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Finishing the rigid schedules of EXO’s back-to-back promotion of Wolf and Growl had completely worn out all the twelve members, as there was only a week of rest in-between their firsts two very successful comebacks, but the awards and recognitions the novice group got in return totally made up for the aching muscles and minor injuries they suffered from practicing till wee hours just to make sure that they had perfected their dance routine and that their execution would be nothing less than impeccable.

The first win they garnered for Wolf was enough to send most of them to tears. Though Joonmyun was made fun the most for his terrible crying face during his acceptance speech, they were all fully aware that their usually all-smiley Leader was only beyond overwhelmed. After all, being a trainee for seven long years was no joke. Even Jongin was not spared from the teasing when SHINee’s main dancer and maknae, Taemin, had the audacity to record him while crying in the confines of EXO’s dressing room after they received their very first award. Something he has yet to delete, and hoping his so-called best friend hadn’t produced a copy of. That twerp.

Anyways, though Wolf didn’t exactly give EXO a winning streak that could gain them a triple crown, it, however, overlapped with their labelmate’s, f(x), latest song promotion, Rum Pum Pum Pum. And Jongin was probably the happiest about that. Because not only did it boost his confidence knowing his girlfriend would be watching him perform live in music shows, and in return he got to (internally) cheer for her and the rest of f(x), but most of all they got to have more time for each other. Yes, EXO’s Kai is in a relationship with f(x)’s, Krystal. And there were moments shared in the dressing rooms between the two that could break all his fangirls’ heart, if they ever learned of it. So they were extra cautious that no one sees them, with the exception of their bandmates, of course. However, the subtle glances and shy smiles they exchanged during encores were unfortunately noticed by some fans, and much to their dismay, the reactions weren’t all positive. Both of them earned a little scolding from their managers, saying they should distance from each other when under the public’s watchful eyes. But frankly, Jongin thinks, it was partially SM’s fault that they draw so much attention now. It was all because of the couple concept for Pink Tape’s teaser photo, the one Jongin and Soojung posed for. And as the popular saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words, then by now they have a novel with several volumes. Because the intensity of those stares, the effortless chemistry between them, and the very natural way they interact, those were all real emotions, raw feelings. You can’t simply fake that much emotion no matter the prompts given by the director. Bet the fans saw through all their photos and now their followers have been rather keen in observing the both of them, scrutinizing their moves toward each other, trying to come up with theories that’ll prove the relationship between the two 94-liner.

To be honest, it came as a surprise to Jongin and Soojung when SM did not exactly object to their relationship, except for the usual warning of be careful not to be spotted together and cause a scandal, their agency actually let them be. But (of course, there was a penalty clause next to that statement) should their dating status jeopardize their career as Kai and Krystal, their management would be forced to act accordingly and they’d be compelled to end their relationship. Something the both of them didn’t want to happen.

When the promotion for the repackage of XOXO rolled around, it did not become a problem for them to keep a low profile. The couple hardly saw each other when Jongin became preoccupied with a fresh set of tedious schedule for the Wolf follow-up. Ah, life of an idol, how charming indeed. But surprisingly, EXO managed to bag four triple crowns for Growl. (Hell to the effing yeah! Four freaking triple crowns, baby!) There was a series of celebration that followed those wins which composed of dinners paid by the higher-ups. Even Soojung made him his favorite. She called his mom to specifically ask for his favorite chicken recipe. His girlfriend is the sweetest, right? Winning’s indeed glorious and totally mind-blowingly awesome!!! And considering how their company's seniors are the ones that practically introduced Kpop to the rest of the world and hold the titles of the best artists and groups to ever debut in the Korean industry, (that was hella big shoes to fill in, mind you, and has put quite a heavy burden on them to live up to) it was with great prestige and honor to break album sales record previously set by their sunbaes through their first full length album (including the repackage). It speaks of their growing popularity that is rapidly soaring high.

And sadly, after piously performing every week in four different music channels, attending countless radio programs and tv shows, as well as participating in numerous events like music festivals and concerts in Korea and overseas, Jongin supposed his body can only take so much and the exhaustion from their two consecutive comebacks had finally taken its toll on him. The main dancer found himself waking up, shivering cold while drenched in sweat, torn between curling to a fetal position after throwing his comforter over his head and at the same time wanting to strip bare as he felt he’s gonna combust. And looking around the room he shares with his fellow band members, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, he discovered that his roommates were gone, leaving him alone to see how the blanket of K's tall rapper was carelessly thrown on the bed next to Jongin's. Actually only half of the quilt made to the bed while the rest was haphazardly lying on the floor next to the fluffy pillow (with Spongebob casing, matching the unruly duvet) that was probably kicked off from the bed by the owner while turning and trashing in his sleep. A piece of information both the resident dancing machine and main vocalist learned the hard way during the first few nights they first shared the room with the loud and playful 92-liner. The other bed, next to Chanyeol's, has matching sheets and blanket with printings of a blue penguin with big round eyes (like that of the owner's), neatly spread on the meticulously made bed. Kyungsoo was dubbed as the group's eomma for a reason.

And since Jongin can't stand straight for longer than a few seconds, let alone step out of the bedroom without having the urge to vomit or pass out (or both), he ended up lying on his bed again. Shedding off his y stage persona Kai, and instead assuming a role of one of EXO's maknae, he whiningly calls out for his hyungs (member or manager). It was the guardian leader who entered the room, with Jongin's counterpart, M's main dancer, Yixing, who both looked like they're about to step out. Whilst some members were already making the most of their much-needed and long-awaited vacation; the ones still in the dorm panicked upon learning Jongin's horrible state. They opted to stay so they can look after him. But Jongin felt guilty being the hindrance to 's plans of having a well-deserved break, he convinced them that he's a whole lot better after he took his medicine and (forcefully) downed the (revolting) juk, Joonmyun and Yixing made for him in their (failed) attempt to put their (non-existent) cooking skills to use. And Jongin got to be the guinea pig. Like he wasn’t sick enough. He couldn't verbally complain as he knows that with these guys, more often than not, it's actually the thought that counts. And if it’s any consolation, he got the better end of the bargain when the kitchen’s in a much pitiful condition after Joonmyun and Yixing’s rather brave venture in it. Poor kitchen.

So the rest of the members went on with whatever plan they actually had for the day, but only after they made sure that Jongin's comfortably tucked in his bed with their maknae, Sehun, as company. Jongin never realized that his fellow SoPA alumni gossips like an old ahjumma, and he wondered if it is a mandatory maknae trait he, too, has to acquire, when Sehun was able to fill him in, in great details, about the other members’ agenda for the day while purposely wrinkling Kyungsoo's pristine Pororo sheets by sprawling his scrawny over the bed. Kyungsoo will be livid and Jongin conveniently did not remind their youngest what Hedwig look-alike is capable of. As a man who prefers to keep things neat and organized, Kyungsoo does not appreciate people who do not share his love for cleanliness and orderliness. And Jongin found himself looking forward to Sehun’s execution once their fun size hyung comes back to the dorm.

Anyways, to summarize what BoA’s biggest fanboy told him, apparently, the vocal line went out to watch a movie while the sogogi pair decided to max out their credit cards with Gucci's newest collection. Chanyeol and Duizhang fulfilled their obligations as good boyfriends to their respective lady love, (both are maknaes of their own girl group) by taking them to a date, with tons of persuading and bribing their manager hyungs and coordi noonas for help, mind you. Jongin wondered what kind of bribes the two tallest EXO members offered that made the managers agree as it wasn’t exactly an easy feat to plan dates when both parties involved were famous idols. Location is of utmost importance, and privacy is extremely vital. Too bad, Jongin’s mom does not own an Italian restaurant like Chanyeol’s mom. He could have had a whole place shut down and cater to just him and Soojung. He’d have to ask the two rappers for more tips on how to be on their handlers’ good side. Then maybe he could take Soojung out onna date, like an ordinary, normal couple.

But unfortunately, (or fortunately, depends on how you see it) the itineraries of the remaining members were missed by Jongin when the medicine finally kicked in and made him fall to a slumber.

After what seemed like eternity, Soojung's rendition of California Girls stirred Jongin from his sleep. His girlfriend's lovely singing voice is programmed in his phone as the tone for her calls and messages. He blearily reached for his mobile on top of the bedside table. As he tried to blink his sleepiness away, he noticed that Sehun was nowhere in sight. Not that he minded, really. Jongin sat up, narrowing his eyes at a sticky note blocking the screen of his phone and upon closer inspection, Sehun’s messy hand writing came into view. He removed the offending paper and answered the call first.

“Hey there.” With a huge grin on his face as the thought of talking to Soojung makes him giddy, like a hormone-driven middle schooler, Jongin read the note that says Sehun went out to find his noona after Jongin rudely dozed off on him. He crumpled the yellow piece of paper and aimed it at the bin in the corner of the room. Goal!

"I called as soon as I got a hold of my phone.” Jongin tried not to pout, after all he was expecting a very endearing I miss you coupled with an I love you. “How are you feeling?" Soojung asked in a hushed voice, but her worried tone was crystal clear.

"I’m ok?” Jongin hesitantly answered, internally screening who among s sold him and promptly brewing different ways to end the yet-to-be identified treacherous felon.

On Soojung’s end of the line, an opening and closing of a van can be heard. She’s probably inside her personal vehicle.

“Jongin, don’t downplay it. If Sehun ---” So the culprit was finally named. Why was Jongin not even surprised? That brat really doesn't know when to shut up. What BoA even sees in him is beyond Jongin. “--- hadn’t flooded my Kakao, I probably would not have known about your condition. Some boyfriend you are." Soojung was no longer whispering and obviously mad. He pouted.

You see, unlike the other members, Kim Jongin did not plan anything for the day because the one he wanted to spend his free time with, f(x)'s youngest, is busy filming for a drama. He was sure SM deliberately timed to give the younger Jung a new gig just when he finished his. And wanting to prove their management that such cheap low move to keep them apart and cut their time together will not put an end to their relationship, Jongin did not complain at all and instead supported Soojung all the way by not bothering her during her scheduled filming. She should be her best. Though he itched to coo her with phone calls during her break or bombard her with cute silly emoticons, he’d rather not have her lack of focus be SM’s reason to break them up. Thus he did not make his condition known to her as he knew she’d be shooting the entire day. The last message he sent her was from last night where he jokingly offered his service of being her personal assistant for a day. He was downright denied. It’s not like he didn’t see that coming. How he wished he could physically be in the shoot and personally cheer for her.

“I felt a little fever-ish when I woke up. Nothing life-threatening.” The wall clock in the room says it’s a little past 1 pm already. Wow. He slept long. No wonder their maknae got bored and ditched him. But the medicine and a lot of sleep seemed to do the trick and he honestly felt a whole lot better.

“Sehun said you almost threw up everything you ate then you passed out. That’s not a slight fever, Jongin.” Soojung sounded totally unconvinced. It’s like she sees right through him that he can no longer hide anything from her. Though it’s not necessarily a bad thing, Jongin thought.

“True, but that was a direct result of my members’ cooking rather than my fever speaking, really.” Luckily now, Jongin no longer feel nauseated though still feeling a little hot. He was able to safely pad out of the room without reeling, and finding out that he has the whole dorm to himself. Nice!

“Have you gone to the doctor?”

“Didn’t have to. I’m fine. The hyungs helped me break the fever.” His throat was parched so he looked into their much understocked refrigerator and only found Gatorade. Unacceptable. He should talk to the leaders about this.

“This isn’t about your injured lower back hurting again, is it?”

Jongin stopped in the middle of uncapping his bottle of energy drink. He chuckled. Expect his girlfriend to jump to conclusions. “No.”

“Jongin, if you’re lying about this, I swear I’d ----”

“Soojung, calm down.” He cut in. The threat in her voice was not to be ignored. “I assure you, my lower back is perfectly fine.” Jongin said in the most soothing and convincing way he could manage. He really hates to worry his girlfriend, but his heart would vomit rainbow every time she’d baby him. It never fails to make him smile. He feels extremely loved by his girlfriend.

“Actually, my everything is fine except for my heart.”

“Wha-what? I thought you had a fever.” He can almost hear her confusion.

“It aches with so much agony of missing you.” He finished his punch line with a smirk.

There was a pause and then Soojung’s melodious giggled followed. “Don’t sidetrack me with your sappiness, Kim Jongin.”

“But it’s true. My heart has trouble containing all the love I have for you.”

“Oh really?” She was trying to hold her giggle in.

“Uh-huh. It’s close to bursting with my undying devotion for you.”

“Oh my gosh. Stop it already.” Jongin bet she’s blushing right now.

“What? It’s true.” He unabashedly admitted.

“Sure.” She chuckled then paused a moment and sighed. “I really miss you, but I have to film the whole day. But if you want, I can pretend I got sick and leave.” He’d help Kyungsoo murder Sehun later. This was exactly the reason why Jongin didn’t want Soojung to know. He knew she’d suggest something like this.

“No, no. Please finish your schedule.” Jongin pleaded.

“Huh. I’m actually offended. I thought you wanted to see me.” Soojung gasped.

“Of course I wanna see you.” Did she really have to think otherwise?

“But?” An underlying this-better-be-a-reasonable-answer-otherwise was there that Jongin did not miss.

“But, if you’d cancel today’s filming, then you’d have to shoot again tomorrow instead of one whole free day with me.”

Please log in to read the full chapter