prologue

No More Room in Hell

Seoul, South Korea

20:10, 10/13/2035

"I know mother," Baekhyun whispered exasperately inside his phone for the tenth time. As he ran his hand through his wavy, dark brown hair, he replied, "Yes, I'll definately come home for the new year. Yes. Yes. No, I'm not lying. Uh, mother, I have to go. Yes. No, its not a girl. I have homework. Don't worry, I'm at the dorm. Okay, I gotta go. Okay, mother, bye."

Baekhyun sighed as he ended the call with his overprotective (and often times annoying) mother. With the amount of times that his mother calls (Baekhyun keeps a tally mark on a post it on the top of his desk), he had no reason but to lie about what he was doing or where he was at during certain times.

And, certainly, this was one of those times.

He was definitely not in his dorm; he was at a local McDonalds. He was definitely not studying, but instead munching on some weird concoction of bread and mystery meat (which the chain restaurant had claimed as some sort of beef) and fries. Baekhyun had been looking at his phone periodically - perhaps one-part hoping that his puppy crush would text him back, and perhaps two-part not hoping that his crush would contact him in any way.

The day had been weird, to say the least. It had been rather cloudy all day, the rather light gray clouds alluding for something to happen. Baekhyun had planned to walk down Myeongdong, Seoul with a bunch of his college buddies; but just as if fate had willed it, each and every one of them canceled and cited various reasons for their absence. So instead of being the perfect student (or son in his mother's eyes) and going back to study at his dorm, Baekhyun walked right into a McDonalds, wanting to perhaps kill some time and risk his heath.

Looking at his phone again, Baekhyun mumbled to himself, "God, that Joori, not even texting me back." Turning to look up at the window, Baekhyun began to notice something strange. The lack of people found on the streets had indeed struck a nerve in him, as there is rarely a "lack of people" in Myeongdong (or even Seoul for that matter). The atmosphere in the restuarunt has also changed and Baekhyun was began to feel like he was in the begining of a seriously badly-made horror movie.

Baekhyun finished his burger and fries rather quickly, now wanting to go back to his dorm as quickly as possible. As he threw his trash away, he decided that it probably was a good idea to go to the bathroom -- perhaps wash his face a bit (well, he still has to look good for his many admirers). 

He entered the bathroom, noting how surprisingly clean it was for feeding so many people in one day. As he placed his hands under the automatic faucet, a bloodcurdling scream filled his ears.

Baekhyun quickly turned in confusion. It had sounded like a man's voice to him and a strange feeling of trepidation and horror filled his veins.

Baekhyun was frozen stiff; should he stay in the bathroom? Or should he be a man and go outside?

After contemplating for a fifteen minutes (when the screams and yells almost became unbearable), Baekhyun slowly walked over to the door and reached for the handle with his trembling hand. He began to open the door and was face-to-face with a bloodied, growling man with a dislocated jaw.