Part 2

It's Because I Like You

            “WHAT?!” Yet again Dongho’s loud voice rang through the hall drawing everyone’s attention.

“Could you please calm down? It’s not that big of a deal.” I moved away from him, hoping to get home quickly and think about what I just agreed to. He followed behind me until we were off school grounds.

“Rani—why? I mean… How? When was this?” His words came out in a rush as he tried to make sense of the situation I, myself, still couldn’t quite understand. Before I could say anything, his next words made me freeze in place. “You do realize he’s just using you, right?” I couldn’t explain it, but a large burst of anger erupted from within me.

“Dongho, yes, I know he’s just using me! I’m not an idiot! I don’t understand why you’re so antagonistic towards him! Do you even know him? Have you ever spoken to him? Everyone likes him so why is it only you with negative things to say? Why do you judge him so carelessly?”

He looked taken aback. I never yelled at anyone, especially Dongho. His eyes were steady and calm, as if he was expecting me to question him about this eventually. “Speak for yourself…”

“What do you mean?”

“Ask yourself the same questions Rani. Have you talked to him? Do you actually know him? Why do you have such a pleasant view of him? Why do you only listen to what everyone else says? Why do you like him so carelessly?” His words struck me like a ton of bricks.

“Why are you being like this…?”

“Because maybe I actually care about you? Because I don’t want you to get hurt by a guy who won’t spare you another look when this is over.” The worried look in his eyes told me that he desperately wanted me to rethink this.

“I… already promised….” We stared at each other for a while before he sadly chuckled. He ruffled his hair, and with a final look, he said to me, “Good luck. Find me when this is over.”

That was the first time Dongho turned his back on me.

***

EARLIER THAT DAY

“I know this will come off as odd, and strange, but please, I’ll pay you back for this.” His eyes were sad and pleading. My first reaction was to ask him if everything was okay, the second thing was noticing how deep the color of his eyes was.

“W-what it is that you need?” My voice came out as a small stutter.

“This is going to sound odd and I understand if you punch me in the face after I ask this of you, but please, will you be my fake girlfriend?” I don’t think it would have been possible for my eyes to widen any more than they already had, but this was something out of a fairytale. Well, except for that ‘fake’ part, but that was the last thing on my mind right now. Changsub needed me and with that sad look in his eyes, how could I ever turn him down?

“Okay.”

“What?” This time it was his turn to be surprised. “You’ll do it?”

“Yes.” Slowly that smile that I loved returned to his face and he took the phone out of my hand.

“Thank you so much Rani. I owe you.” He began typing something while I continued to stare at him, not exactly sure if this was a dream or a very strange reality. “Here,” he handed it back to me, “I’m busy today so I’ll call you later tonight about a time to meet up.” All I could do was nod as he tapped me on the shoulder, thanked me again, and walked passed me. ‘Rani…. What did you just agree to?”

******

The second I got home I kicked off my shoes and ran upstairs. I was exhausted. So many things happened today and all I wanted to do was sleep for the rest of my life. The second my head hit the pillow I was out cold.

When I opened my eyes, the house was quiet except for the small alarm clock ticking beside my bed. I rubbed my tired eyes and grabbed it. 11:30PM. WHAT??  No way! I got home at four! I never slept this long! I grabbed my phone and saw I had three missed calls and two new texts. All from an unknown number. I played the one voicemail.

            “H-hello… do I start now? Rani your phone didn’t tell me to leave a message after the beep. Am I talking to myself? Uh, Yeah, this is Lee Changsub. I tried calling and I texted you a couple times, but you didn’t answer. I’m good to meet you whenever tomorrow. How about after school at Starbucks? I’ll meet you there at four…. Bye. I think.”

Next, I opened up the text messages.

The first one read: ‘Rani, call me back.’

The second: Raniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I chuckled to myself. So this is the kind of cute things Changsub did. I decided to not reply right then and I should do it tomorrow. He was probably asleep…. Probably.

I got up and changed into my pajamas before grabbing my backpack and opening it up to grab my math homework. With every problem another concern crept into my mind. The main one… Why did he approach me with such a question? Something obviously must have happened with Ari, but would helping him cause a bigger problem? The next greatest concern was Dongho. What about him? He seemed very disappointed in me. The last thing I wanted was to upset him. I grabbed my phone knowing Dongho wouldn’t care if I texted him late.

I only sent him three words. “Dongho, I’m sorry.” I didn’t expect him to reply, and he didn’t. I should give him time.

******

I walked into that Starbucks the next day with one mission. To find out the what, why, and how. He was sitting at a corner booth with his head down, staring intently at his coffee. When he looked up and our eyes met, he smiled at me. It was then that I realized that it wouldn’t be as easy as I hoped to get over Lee Changsub.  

************

Hey guys!! I'm sorry for the late update T~T I've been a little busy. I know this is short, but i promise the next chap witll be longer. Thank you for reading ♥