NUMB

inquisitive

The sky was a beautiful dark color today as the fog from yesterday's rain casted all over Seoul. Jongin woke up from the light that escaped through ripped curtains beside a young woman who's hair feel beautifully over alabaster skin. 

Jongin never liked dark haired girls.

Shifting from beneath velvet covers he took a moment to glance around the room, tracing with his eyes the common valuables you'd find when sleeping with girls who belonged to the higher class.

Gangnam-gu Seoul, a rather bland place to travel to if you asked him.

With not another word or a single note for the girl in bed, he stepped out into the piercing cold world.

It was abnormally cold today. Perfect to finally get away from this world, a world that Jongin convinced himself didn't need him. He had currently been spending his days in different beds with nameless people. Baekhyun, a close friend of his, would scold him about living a decent.

"Jongin you're wearing yourself out. Don't you think it's about to let her go?" he'd ask, a warm hand taking his own but for once, it was like touching the wall on a freezing day.

Cold.

"Baekhyun she was-"

"'She was everything you had, everything you lived for.', you've told me this countless of times Jongin ... as hard as this is for you-" silence. Baekhyun's eyes adorn a fresh gloss and he sank low in his seat.

It hurt Baekhyun as much as it did for him. They were siblings, and if Baekhyun could go on, so could he right?

Right?

No.

Jongin spent his life trying to make her happy. The sound of her breathing at night when they'd go to sleep or sudden warmth that radiated from her arms circling around his waist was like a warm blanket.

His epitome.

His home.

Now, with her gone, what would occupy that empty space? Surely Baekhyun could rely on Chanyeol but what about him? Who would pick up those shattered pieces?

No one.

He was alone again.

Alone in this sadistic journey he called life.

p>Lightly stepping up the stairs of his building, they never seemed so endless. The creaking each step made whilst being stepped on sent a warm feeling though his body.

I should have gotten this fixed earlier. Soojung would have yelled.

Opening the door let a sudden gush of air hit him, the sight was magnificent and surely a picture perfect moment. His mind wandered to Soojung again and as his slim fingers curved around the railing, he took one big air in.

You would have gone crazy with that camera I bought you. You always liked taking pictures of me.

He stood with the upper half of his body over the rail, feet planted firmly against the ground beneath him. Jongin's eyes fluttered close and as soon as he let his arm fall numbly against his side there was a sudden crash behind him.

"Are you seriously jumping?" a boy, who looked scared out of his mind with eyes two time larger than the norm sat between a set of boxes. Jongin pushed away from the rail and, without thinking, let out a roaring laugh with hands covering his stomach in pain. The boy, who had a protruding pout at the sound of the other quickly, tweaked his lips into something more softly.

"Happy to have made you laugh."

- - -

His plans were put on hold when owl eye's sat with a warm blanket and a mug of coffee in hand. Jongin wasn't sure why or how the boy had landed on his rooftop but as if he had read his mind, the latter spoke up.

"You left your door unlocked, and you seemed kind of down so I decided to stop by. Hope I didn't mess up your plans."

He looked almost proud.

"No, no you didn't." he lied.

"Then why were you going over the rail? Don't you know how dangerous that could be? If you had slipped, or worse, I wouldn't be around to spot you - you surely would have died!" owl eyes was now standing flat on his feet, the cover slipping down from his shoulders.

Jongin stretched and arm out to place it on the crown of owl eye's head and gave slow rhythmic pats. The boy pressed into his hand which took Jongin back, hand stopping every moment as pale fingers came in contact with his wrist.

"I'm certainly older than you." he paused, eyeing Jongin with judging eyes. "The names Kyungsoo, it's a pleasure to meet you by the way."

It took a second before Jongin realized that his hand was now resting on the boys shoulder and their skins contrasted in perfect symmetry.

"Kim Jongin, Kai for short." he mustered up, eyes tracing the dip of plump lips when the other smiled.

"Kai," she thought for a moment, “I like Jongin better! It suits, you know?"

It suits?

- - -

Once again he was awaken by the light that ripped its way through cheep fabric, eyes blinking once or twice before Jongin was able to comprehend why their was a body lying lifelessly next to him. The boy from earlier, Kyungsoo, had manage to stay a night with mild argument.

"Please? I won't bother, I swear!"

"Don't you have family to bother? Friends? I can surely book you in a hotel if that's what you need." Jongin stated, ushering a stubborn boy out the kitchen door. Jongin wanted the boy out to continue the task that was previously put on hold because of said male. After their small talk, Kyungsoo casually took a look around and the younger of the two had to bark at him for breaking a valuable vase. Now, with tears threatening to rush out glossy eyes, Jongin had no choice but to let him stay.

The tanned boy let out a sigh, peeling the small arm around his waist. He managed to go half way before Kyungsoo parted his lips and mumbled incoherently. Jongin watched for a moment, the way his brows dipped low into a frown then, as if on cue, soften his expression to a smile.

His mind wavered to Soojung, the way she'd do the same until Jongin pressed a finger low into her cheek and she cried out in annoyance. He smiled, reaching up to do the same, and when his finger comfortably lied against soft skin Kyungsoo shifted.

"J-Jongin, stop." it was a low whine, making Jongin shift at the unfamiliar sound.

Kyungsoo sat up, eyeing Jongin in confusion. The other took a brief look at him before pushing to be flat on his feet, no more than inches away from the door.

“There, you’ve slept over and I believe you won’t need me anymore so get out.” Jongin made sure to have a sting in his tone of voice but cursed when Kyungsoo stood on his knees.

“You’ll jump this time if I leave.”

Jongin looked at him, astonished.

“Y-You-“

“I’m not leaving until you’re happy with yourself. People in this world need to appreciate life more; you don’t know how many people I’ve gone through that had the same problem as you.” He went on, untangling from the covers to hit the floor with a light thud.

Jongin parted his lips, as if to say something, but immediately closed them and followed Kyungsoo down the steps. He said nothing throughout the time they were in the kitchen, Kyungsoo solemnly dedicated to the cooking at hand without a single glance towards Jongin’s direction. After a couple of minutes in silence, Kyungsoo came with a plate that covered almost the whole thing in eggs, bacon and a layer of pancakes. He sat down, hands resting on his palms before tugging on a smile.

"Eat, you look worn out. We have a big day ahead of us." there was a different tone to his voice then, stern and emotionless.

"You seem like some sort of angel." Jongin said, or tried to ask but continued picking at the pancakes with his fork.

Kyungsoo let out a sweet chuckle.

"You can say that, but I wouldn’t call myself something like that. You have to be dead in order to become and angel, and I’m not dead."

Jongin stabbed the bottom of his plate, flitching at the sound it elicited. Kyungsoo was impassive and continued.

"Nor am I alive, metaphorically speaking that is."

"Oh." The tanned boy took a small piece of pancake to his mouth which quickly dissolved at the touch of his tongue. It was delicious and soon he found himself taking a few more tentative bites.

"You should hurry! We have a long day ahead of us!" Kyungsoo jolted up, breaking the soon to be silence that threatened to take over.

Jongin didn't hesitate, he didn’t ask questions, and for once he had forgotten her existence.


don't know, first chapter. a tad slow, must cope with me until second chapter. this person here apologizes and still hopes you continue reading whatever this turns out to be.