Epilogue

One In A Million

 

Epilogue

Tomohisa was returning home after a tiring day of work. He parked his car and tiredly entered the elevator towards his apartment.

He pulled his house keys and opened the door, surprised when it was only on the latch. As he entered, he heard some shuffling noises and got a little scared, but his first scare was replaced by a feeling he couldn't even began to name as he saw you there in the living room, packing your books into big boxes.

It wasn't until his suitcase fell on the floor that you noticed him.

“Pi...” was the only syllable you could mutter.

“Miki... -chan...” he was just as speechless as you.

“Salaryman?” you asked quietly, after scrutinizing your ex-boyfriend's outfit. (A/N: salaryman = businessman)

He looked down at his fine black suit, his impeccable white shirt and blue tie. He sure looked different.

“Y-yeah...” he stuttered.

“Wow, you sure look different...” you walked closer to him, patting his shoulder. “I'm proud of you” you pulled him into a hug, which he took long to respond to. While placing his hands on your back, he felt a slight different texture. Leaning back, he held a streak of your hair.

“You permed your hair. It looks really nice on you” he smiled sadly.

“It's just a small waviness. Minho was the one who encouraged me to do so...” you smiled a little, thinking about the photographer.

“I suppose you're together now, huh?”

You blushed, giving him a positive answer without uttering a single word.

“You're still as shy as ever” he chuckled. “But what are you doing here anyways? I haven't seen you for like... 3 months”.

“A lot of things happened since the last time I saw you”.

“Well then” he guided you to the couch, “I have plenty of time” he loosened his tie and tossed it aside.

You chuckled and started remembering the past months.

'I stayed in South Korea for as long as I needed to finish the assignment I was ordered to do. When the day of coming back came, I was truly confused as to what I was going to do with my life.

We were over, we lived together, we attended the same college... It was hard to escape the 'we' because it seemed as if there was no without the you. Minho only made me more confused when he suddenly confessed to me. I wasn't expecting it the first time and when he really told me he loved me, I was truly unsure of what to do--'

“Sorry to tell you, but you've been very oblivious from the time I've met you and even until now. I must say it was pretty obvious from the beginning that the guy had some sort of feelings for you”.

“Well, I'm sorry, for not being able to read between the lines!” you stuck your tongue out to him. “As I was saying...”

'I came back and stayed at my parents'. When I came back to college, I heard you changed majors and never saw you again; I didn't even dare coming back here, afraid of what my reaction would be.

I continued with my part-time job at the magazine, but always felt as if something was missing. It took me some time before I realized that what was missing was Minho, but it eventually kicked my mind.'

“And that leads us to where we stand now”.

“And why is that?” Yamaa smiled mentally, joining the puzzle inside his head.

“I asked for transference. I'll move to South Korea.”

“What about college? You're still a bit far from graduating!”

“There's my major there, you know? You truly ARE changed!” you pinched his cheek, making him shut his eyes.

He held your hand that was on his face and leaned closer to your touch, an uneasy tear drop gathering on his eye.

“I want you to believe that, Miki, 'cause I truly am. I regret so much all the mistakes I did in the past. Look where it lead me” he opened his eyes. “I lost the most beautiful girl in the whole world. The one I used to call my 'one in a million'” he you hair and then tucked it on your ear. “I'm glad that she's in better hands now” that lonely drop drew a trace on his face upon falling.

You wiped that single tear and cupped his face.

“Forget that now, Pi. It was my fault as well; I shouldn't have pretended to be so oblivious to your behavior. I should have fought for us, but I didn't. It takes effort from both parts, so don't feel guilty”.

“I can take the guilt, Miki, what I can't take... Is the shame”.

More and more water gathered up in his eyes, not even giving him time to sustain it, as it freely left his brown orbs.

You hugged him tight. The roles had reversed, but again, you were changed. Both of you.

“You made me grow up, you know? I used to be so naïve, so credulous, but now, I'm wide awake. The world can come, that I'll be ready to face whatever hardships it puts me through”.

He backed away from your arms and patted your head, smiling between his tears.

“That's my girl”.

You two stood there, smiling to each other, until he asked:

“So, now will you be staying with Minho?”

“No, and that was one of the reasons I came today. Since this house is also still mine, I have some sort of an affirmation and a request to make to you”.

“Now you're confusing me Miki-chan” he scratched his head.

In cue to Yamapi's sentence, steps were heard and a blonde head emerged from the guest room. Unplugging her ear buds, Jessica lifted her head and directed to you:

“I've already put my things away, but I still don't think this a good id--” she stopped on her tracks when she saw Tomohisa next to you.

“Jessica?” his look was as perplexed as hers.

You just smiled.

“Jessica asked for transference after what happened, for she couldn't face Minho without feeling ashamed. So we switched homes, haven't we, Unnie?” you shook her lightly by the shoulders.

“W-we did” the sight of shy Jessica was so overwhelming, Yamapi couldn't help but feel his heart fluster a bit.

“So, from this day on, you'll be roommates! I want you two to behave and be good to each other, neh~?”

You quickly finished packing your books and clothes with the help of the other two awkward-around-each-other individuals.

The three of you were then standing at the building's door, after ranging all the boxes and bags in the car.

“Well then, it's time for me to get going. I...” you couldn't suppress the tears, already missing your two friends even before you left them. They hugged you and then Jessica asked:

“You sure you don't want us to go to the airport with you?”

“No, Unnie, my parents are there, and I don't want to cry more than I know I will” you chuckled, wiping your face.

You hugged them one last time and then drove off to the airport.

Your new life awaited you.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Minho was counting the minutes on that Monday morning, pacing back and forth in front of the clock on the wall.

“What's wrong with him?” Taemin asked, carrying a cup of coffee on his hands.

Kibum and Jonghyun, both leaning over Taemin's desk, shrugged their shoulders, continuing on observing the photographer with a confused face.

“You'll see soon enough, Taemminie” Onew said, appearing out of the blue, grabbing the coffee the auburn haired should have brought him.

The elevator rang and the doors opened, some model and photographer coming out.

Minho sighed, looking away; he was truly too anxious. Onew tapped his shoulder and motioned him to look forward again.

His eyes lit up at your sight.

“Anneyonghaseyo, Miki inmida!”