Chapter 1

One In A Million

Dictionary:

  • Moshi moshi? ---> hello? (when picking the phone)
  • Senpai ---> senior (in high school)
  • Kouhai ---> junior (in high school)
  • Kawaii desu ne ---> So cute
  • Isashiburi ---> Long time no see!
  • Gomen ---> short form of gomenasai (I’m sorry).
  • Ganbatte ---> do your best!

 

Chapter 1

“Miki?”

“Yes?”

“It’s for you” you came running down the stairs and picked up the phone.

“Moshi moshi?”

“Miss Miki? South Korea’s “SHINee Girl” magazine here.” said the male voice on the phone.


*******Flashback*******

(October 2007)

You were just one ore of the thousands students on that school, but even if only five students existed on the entire school, nobody would notice you…Why?

Because you were a complete nerd. Your hobbies were staying in the library every second of your breaks, studying or reading history books.

“What a geek!” you heard that every day, until one of those boring days, because of your absent-mindedness, your life changed.

“Hey clumsy! Watch where you’re going!” you couldn’t see anything without your glasses, so you were in panic.

“Here…” the male voice said sighing.

“Thank you…” you said, quickly placing your glasses on your face.

When you looked up, your eyes went wide open. It was the School Playboy, Yamaa Tomohisa.

“Sorry!” you grabbed your books and started walking away. You felt a hand on your shoulder, which startled you making you shiver.

“Wait…” you turned your head to see what he wanted.

Suddenly, you felt his lips on your cheek and his voice whispering:

“I’m sorry too…for not having you met sooner….” his voice, pure seduction, and his lips, so tempting.

Your heart was pounding hard on your chest, and you felt a little dizzy. But you quickly got back to reality: Hello…?! He was a player, the School Playboy! And you were just one more of his victims! Without uttering a single word, you left, holding tightly onto your books and went straight to the library, your shelter, your sanctuary. There you were safe. Or so you thought.

Unfortunately for you, the fact that Yamaa was a player, didn’t took away his intelligence. Yes, he was a playboy and a rebel, but what made him truly hateful to teachers and “antis” was that he was a smartass. And he didn’t even try. So, as you were setting your books on the table, getting ready to finish off a report due two months away, someone took a seat next to you. Your heart almost skipped a beat when you looked to the side. Yamaa was beside you, smiling seductively again, looking only at you, like he was mesmerized.

“Yo! he winked.

“H-hey” you nervously greeted.

“What are you doing?” he asked, his eyes widened at the huge quantity of books in front of you.

“Doing the book report…” you answered, like you weren’t sure if you should be doing it.

“You still have so much time until handing it out, why care about it now?” the fact that you were actually doing the book report shocked him. He’d only do his assignments the day before you had to hand it over and have a great mark – as always.

“Well…” you found it hard to explain. You had an assignment to do and that was all! Why was he complicating things when there was nothing to complicate?

“I just have to do it, that’s all… plus, senpai, that’s not the example you should set to your kouhais…” you stopped talking when you saw Yamaa’s expression change. Maybe you shouldn’t have said that! What if he was angry at you for talking like that to him? You were just his kouhai! Could he consider that you had been disrespectful to him?

Scared of that possibility, you set your mind on apologizing to your senpai. That, until he bursted. In laughs.

You were surprised by his sudden behavior, so you stood there, shocked, for the first time in your life. Still laughing, he ruffled your hair, saying:

“Ahah, kawaii desu ne~~”

Again, for the second time that day, your heart pounded hard on your chest, though you couldn’t really understand why.

And, unexpectedly, a smile crept on your face, surprising both of you. There was a moment of silence between you, during which you just looked into each other’s eyes, linked like the moon and the tide.

………Three months later………
(January 2008)

Your senior – who you friendly nicknamed as Yamapi-senpai, due to his taste to always give you something pink – followed you everywhere, causing a lot of girls to give you hatred glares whenever you passed them in the halls.

Still, even if they wanted to bully you they couldn’t. Every time they looked for you, there he was, like a shadow; every time they’d glare to you there he was, returning the girls a touch-one-single-hair-of-hers-and-you’ll-see-what-happens look. He’d even walk you home! It was a truly frustrating situation to the girls that were head over heels for your senpai.

And you? You were so used to his presence by then, you’d find strange if he wasn’t there all the time beside you. At first it felt awkward, specially since he’d spent entire afternoons watching you study, instead of hanging out with his friends. For three months, no girl was said to be used and thrown away like a tissue by Yamaa.

Even Kazuya, the player’s best friend, was surprised. It was the first time his friend had shown such an interest in a girl. Plus, it wasn’t even one of the popular school girls, it was some girl Kazuya had never seen before. No, he had seen her once or twice… in the library! Things were pretty odd! When Kazuya finally got a chance to talk to Tomohisa, all his doubts flew away.

“Yo, TomoPi!” even Kazuya got used to the “Pi”.

“Kame-chan!” Tomohisa greeted. “Isashiburi!”

“No wonder, for three months you’ve been completely obsessed with that girl”!

“Gomen~ Kame-chan! I promise I’ll make it up to you!”

“Yeah, yeah, forget ‘bout it. Tell me something instead.” Yamaa nooded. “Are you really into her? That… nerd?”

Yamaa closed his eyes and sighed. It was hard to admit things to himself; to admit to others was even worse.

“Kazuya… I know this will sound… freaking weird, but… I think…” he gulped. “I think I’ve fallen for her; for real…”

………Six months later………
(July 2008)

Summer vacations. You were at home, reading a novel, after the morning and a part of the afternoon doing the chores your mom asked you to. Suddenly, breaking the silent peace you were in, your cellphone rang. To your surprise, it was Yamapi.

“M-moshi moshi?”

“Mind coming to your window?”

“My window?” you drew the curtain to look outside and saw your senior sitting on the wall that surrounded your balcony.

“Yo!” he greeted, hanging up the phone.

You opened the sliding door, still dumbfounded.

“How did you get in here?”

“I climbed the ivy” he answered, smiling.

In your mind, there was a voice saying: “That’s so typical! Like a freaking romantic movie!”. Still, despite what your mind was telling you, you couldn’t help but blush. Ever since Tomohisa entered your life, everyday was more exciting!

“What are you doing here, senpai?” you asked.

“Asking you out! Wanna go out for a walk? I’ll even treat you to dinner!” before you could reply, or even object, he quickly added: “If your parents agree, that is.”

You couldn’t object to that. He caught you right there. There was no way your mom would refuse. She always told you to go out more often. Either way, you called your mother and, as expected, she gave you permission. Eve though you were going out with a boy! You sighed.

“Let’s go th--” before you could finish your sentence, your laptop emitted a sound and in your screen you could see that you had a new e-mail. You hurried to your laptop and a smile crept on your face.

“What’s that?” Yamapi asked, entering your room, after taking off his shoes.

“It’s an e-mail from my South Korean friend!”

“You’ve been to South Korea?”

“No, we met at a penpal community”

“Oh… in which language do you speak?”

“English, of course! But he’s teaching me Korean and I’m teaching him Japanese” you smiled.

He?’ Yamaa thought. ‘Sorry, but Miki is MY girl and I’m not gonna let you steal her, Mr. Korean Boy’.

“So… it’s a guy, huh?” you nodded. “What’s his name? Is he older than you?”

“His name’s Choi Minho and he’s a year older than me” he was marveled with your prefect pronounce of the other guy’s name.

“Oh…”

“Mind if I type a quick reply to him?”

“No, go right ahead.” He sat on your bed, checking your room while your tipping sound filled the air. It was normal, he guessed. It was mostly white: white furniture, white walls, white curtains… Even you were wearing white clothes! Just like you, your bedroom gave an impression of purity.

As you said, you quickly typed a reply and soon you and Yamapi were leaving the house. This time, through the front door. Your senior took you for a walk on the busy Tokyo streets and, later that day, he took you to a calmer place, finishing off with dinner at a family restaurant (he wanted to take you to a fancy restaurant, but you refused so hard, he took you to the place you suggested).

“Is it good?” you asked.

“Yeah, it’s really good! Tastes better than anything I’ve eaten in that fancy restaurant!” realizing what he had said, after whining so much with you so you’d agree to go to the restaurant he wanted, made him speechless. To worsen things even more, you seemed like you were about to burst out in laughs. “Don’t.” he threatened.

“I won’t.” you made an effort and ended up not laughing of your senior.

Later, after the meal had finished, Yamapi took you on another walk, this time till you’d reach a belvedere. While walking there, your senpai wanted to know more about your relationship with your Korean friend.

“So, you met him online, right?”

“Yes, that’s true.”

“Why meet someone online when there are so many interesting people at school?”

“I…” you sighed, your head low. “I’m not really good at relating with people. I never was. I guess I just enjoy being alone in my corner so much, that I never payed attention that I was driving away from people and the world around me.” apparently Yamaa was waiting for something more, so you continued. “My mom suggested that I should correspond with someone, through letters or even e-mails – that’s how she met my father, through letters – ,so I went to an online penpal community and ended up meeting this guy, Choi Minho.

“And you started talking to him?”

“Yes, we started e-mailing each other since then. We’ve met for like a year and a half.”

When you finished, you reached the belvedere and you were absolutely stunned by the beautiful view of the city of Tokyoat night. Even though you lived there, you never payed much attention to the world surrounding you.

“Wow! We can see the whole city from here!” your marveled tone could not be suppressed.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

“It’s magnificent!”

You kept on admiring the scenery in front of you, not noticing that Tomohisa had pinned you to the rail.

“Look, there’s Tokyo Tower over there!”

“All lightened up.” he rested his chin on your shoulder, startling you and making you realize the position you were in, in between your senior’s arms. You got a little nervous, but continued talking as if nothing had happened.

“Minho told me that in Seoul Tower you can hang lockers and that couples that hang intertwined lockers will be together forever.”

Minho, Minho, Minho… Tomohisa didn’t knew the guy but he already hated him for being the only thing Miki seemed to talk about. He turned her around so they could face each other.

“Then we should hang our own lockers there.” He whispered in a seductive and husky tone.

“W-why?” you were completely oblivious, even though your heart was sped up like a racing car.

“Because I wanna be together with you forever and ever. I love you, Miki.”

You simply stood there, speechless. Smiling at your confused face, he gently crashed his lips onto yours, taking his hand to hold your neck. Slowly, he deepened the kiss, and you simply went with the flow. Although the kiss was a bit sloppy at the beginning, it soon became the most beautiful demonstration of love ever seen, with Yamaa holding your waist and your arms wrapped on his neck, your slender fingers playing with his soft hair.

The kiss had to stop, as you both craved for air. Both of you panting, foreheads touching each other lovingly.

“I love you too, senpai.”

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Three years and three months later, in October 2011, you found yourself working on SHINee Girl Magazine, while attending college; you didn’t wanted to burden your parents with your tuitions. Meanwhile, your boyfriend, Tomohisa, was attending the same college you were, allowing the two of you to always be together.
You had recently turned 20, while Tomohisa was 22 and Minho your South Korean friend, was 21.


*******Short Flashback End*******

“Anneyonghaseyo, Miki inmida!” you politely greeted the man on the phone.

“Anneyong Miki-ssi! Our editor-in-chief wants you to come here to do a special feature to our South Korean edition of the magazine!”

“Oh!, a special feature on what?”

“About K-Pop influence on Japanese street fashion; we have already recollected the information you need, but speak to your co-workers there, they may give you some ideas or tips. Here, you’ll work with our style editors and photographers, I believe there will be no problem with that, right?”

“No problem at all, Mr…--”

“Taemin. Lee Taemin.”

“Right, Taemin-ssi. Then, when do I have to go there?”

“You’ll fly here tomorrow night. You’re allowed to bring someone with you; it doesn’t need to be from the company. You can bring a friend, boyfriend, whoever you want. You’ll have some free time to explore Seoul.”

“Great!” you were excited; you’d go to Seoul and you could take your boyfriend with you!

“You have to see your editor-in-chief; she’s the one that has your plane tickets.”

“Okay then, see you tomorrow then, Taemin-ssi.”

“Have a good flight tomorrow, Miki-ssi. Anneyong!”

“Anneyong, gamsahamnida!” you hung up and flew back to your desk, to find out that you had an e-mail from Minho. You smiled as you read it:


“Miki-ssi,

I’m glad to know that you’re handling well between college and working on the magazine. It was such a great surprise to know that we’re under the same company! It’s like a chance in a million! … Sorry, I probably drifted a little bit here, my bad, kekeke~
Anyways, just let me know if you need any help with anything; I’m just a click away, after all!
I hope your playboy boyfriend is helping you out (…)”

 

'Me and my big mouth! Well, Yamaa-san was indeed sort of a playboy back in high school… but not anymore!' you thought.

 

“(…) or is he still the same slacker he was in high school? (…)”

 

'Oh god.'

 

“Moving on; I heard one of my co-workers say someone from Japan would arrive tomorrow to work on a special feature. Do you happen to know who he/she is? … Truthfully, I’d be extremely happy if that someone were to be you, Miki-ssi, so we could finally meet personally. Maybe someday I’ll be sent for a special feature in Japan, haha ^^

 

'This guy…' you chuckled. 'I wanna meet you too, Minho-ssi…' suddenly your heart beat accelerated and your cheeks became pink, only by the thought of being able to meet your penpal. 'W-what the heck?! Get yourself together Miki!' you glued your eyes to the screen again.

 

“Take care of yourself Miki-ssi, SHINee Girl Magazine can’t afford to loose its most fabulous style editor! Neither can I loose my dearest friend! ^^

Minho

P.S. – I saw the cutest thing today! Lockers with cute smiley faces on it! Check the enclosed file!”

 

You opened the file and saw matching lockers in white and red, with cute faces; they seemed like… in love?

'Makes sense.' You thought, remembering the time when Minhoexplained why you hanged lockers in Seoul Tower… and also the time when your senior confessed to you.

You blushed remembering that time. Even though you started dating since then, your cheeks would flush when you thought about him and you’d even get nervous sometimes when you were together. But you’d mostly blush rather than becoming nervous, since he’d always put you in such ease you’d forget about all nervousness. Immediately, you started typing Minho a reply.


“Minho-ssi,

I’m glad too, that things are working out well. I never thought I could pull this off, yet, here I am!
It was really a great coincidence that we ended up working in the same company! But don’t worry, I’m handling everything well enough, so don’t worry ^.^
As for Yamaa-san, don’t be so skeptical; he’s changed, I thought we had already settled this matter.”

 

Next was the going-to-Japan issue. Should you tell Minho you were the one that would go or should you keep it a secret and surprise him with your arrival? You decided to play the fool and then (you hoped) surprise your friend.

 

“Regarding that issue, I didn’t knew someone would go there! Gotta inform myself about that”

 

You refrained from commenting his last two phrases, afraid of letting anything that could ruin the surprise out.

 

“I will do my best, for me and for the magazine!
Take care Minho-ssi, your models can’t afford to loose their favorite photographer! ;P (joking ^.^)

Miki

P.S. – The lockers were the cutest thing =^.^=”

 

You smiled.

“One task completed. Now, onto the last task for today”.

You crossed the desk’s maze till you reached a door where you could read “EDITOR-IN-CHIEF”. You knocked and a feminine voice granted your permission to enter.

“Excuse me, Mizusawa-san” you said, entering your editor-in-chief’s, Mizusawa Erena, office.

“Come on in, Miki-san” she offered you a seat, while getting an envelope from one of her drawers. “Here are your plane tickets” she handed them out for you. “I wish you a safe trip tomorrow; ganbatte Miki-san! Make us all proud with your article!”

“I will” you answered, getting up from your seat. “See you next week, Mizusawa-san!”

“Anneyonghagaseyo!” she said jokingly.

“Anneyonghagaseyo!” you chuckled, bowed and left.

You grabbed your bag and cellphone and walked to the elevators. Inside the elevator you wandered whether your boyfriend would come to pick you up or not. While getting out of the elevator you dialed Yamaa’s number and, as you got out of the building, you heard the familiar ringtone he recorded thinking of you:

Coz you're my one in a million, sono mama de believe me
Kimi ga one in a million, daetta toki ni, baby it's my destiny
I'm gonna try. 3,2,1" so count down, warakute boku no mae de one more time
One in a million,  my one in a million

(Coz you're my one in a million, please believe like that
You're my one in a million, When I met you, baby it's my destiny
I'm gonna try. 3,2,1" so count down, laugh before one more time
One in a million,  my one in a million)

You were surprised by a pair of arms surrounding your waist and a kiss on the cheek.

“Hello my love~” he sing songed in your ear, his breath caressing your skin.

“Hey” you said, turning around to hug him.

“Oh, you’re so caring today” he teased, holding you in his arms.

You blushed but managed to say:

“B-baka… The way you say it makes it look like I never do stuff like this!”

“Sorry, my bad” he kissed the top of your head loving. You smiled.

“I’ve got some news to you! I’ve only known of this today actually.”

“What is it baby?” he asked, while leading you to his car.

“You’re free this weekend, right?” you asked, while entering the car. Yamapi closed the door and walked around the car to get on his own seat.

“I am; we’re on a break, remember?”

“Oh, right!” you suppressed an urge of slapping your own forehead. “The thing is…” you took the plane tickets from your purse. “I have an assignment to do in Seoul and I’m allowed to bring someone with me!”

“Really honey? A work in Seoul? That’s great congratulations!” he quickly kissed you as to congratulate you.

“T-thank you” you replied when you were able to release your lips from his. “But what I was trying to say is: will you come with me?”

Tomohisa grinned at you and easily replied:

“Honey, that’s not a question that needs to be asked. Of course I’ll go with you. You’re my one in a million.”

 

-------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hello there guys, CandI here!

So, we're "back" with a new story! This was actually one of our first ideas for a story, but we just started writing it recently.

Okay, so, in this story are two different nationalities included, Japanese and Korean. We hope you seriously enjoy this story, it's a three-shot story only, so please look forward for the next chapters! Carol is already working on it!

The poster will be added in a few days ^^

Thanks to everyone for your support!

CandI Love to you all <3