Pen Pals

Pen Pals

The 6 year old Sohee pursed her lips. She tapped her pencil on the pink paper wondering what to write. What was she supposed to say? She was assigned a guy named Park Sanghyun in J.tune Elementary.

She finally decided on writing a simple introduction.

Deer Park Sanghyun,

Helo! I'm Ahn Sohee, but my nickname is Mandu givn by my good frend, Sunye. I'm 6 and a haf. I will be 7 in tree months. How r u.? I go to JYP elmentry. I am ur new pen pal. Les be good frends! I like to Dra and rite. I also luv to sing. I hav a big sistah and I luv englis. Let's get to no each other.

from, Ahn Sohee :)

Sohee smiled and sealed off the note with a pink smiley face. She hopped off her chair and scrambled off to get crayons to decorate. She doodled flowers and herself. The excited girl ran to Ms. Park and shoved the pink paper in her hands pleading to send it as soon as possible. She couldn't wait.

~&~

The classroom was decorated with pink and red. Hearts adorned the tops and corners.

Sohee twiddled with her fingers in anxiety. It had been a week and they were getting the replies back. She couldn't contain her excitement. When the teacher distributed the notes she snatched hers and immediately read it.

Dear Ahn Sohee,

I got your letter! I was super happy! My name is Park Sanghyun, but my friends call me Cheondoong. I'm 8 years old. I'm great! I go to Jtune Elementary down the street. I would love to be friends. My friends say girls have cooties but we are not touching eachother so I'm fine. I dance and rap a bit. That's right rap. I have two big sisters, and I'm not good in math, I don't get the multiplication tables. When's your birthday? Mine is next week! Please write back soon. Oh yeah! Happy Valentine's day.

From, Park Sanghyun (^_^)

Sohee retread it 3 times.This guy was older by 2 years. He was very good at writing. She was going to have to improve to impress him. Cheondoong, huh?

She felt something hard in the back. She turned it over and there was a cherry lollipop taped poorly to the back. She ripped the candy off and popped it in relishing the sweet taste.

Sohee shoved the letter in her pocket, and she quickly snatched an orange paper and a children's dictionary. He seemed like a nice guy. An idea popped in her head as she remembered his birthday. She raided the classroom of the ribbons, glitter, and sparkly buttons. She decorated the heck out of the card. She took out a Reese's pieces her mother packed for her and reluctantly taped it messily to the back of the Birthday card.

She giggled as she wrote her reply. This wasn't so bad. She brightly handed in her reply and handmade card. Sohee sauntered to her table, a slight bounce in her step, and began to imagine his reaction.

This was the start of a wonderful friendship.


 Sohee pranced down the classroom to grab a clean sheet of white paper. She was now in 5th grade, and still kept in touch with Sanghyun, or Cheondoong as he allowed her to call him.

The letters were exchanged weekly, and she anticipated every one. He was a funny guy, and he was smart in everything except maybe common sense and math. He was adorkable. She might of had a teensy bit of a crush on him. But no more! She didn't even know what he looked like.

Sohee plopped her on the chair and began to write. He recently talked of the recent incident of glue exploding courtesy of his best friend Chulyeong or Mir. He got in so much trouble. She smiled at the note that she still had in her hand, and began to write her reply.

Dear Cheondoong,

Omg! I feel so bad for him. He sounds like my friend, Sunmi. Oooooooh! I need to vent, and I can only trust you! Mimi has a crush on this guy in our class named Lee Seunghyun or Seungri. It's so obvious but no one knows but me! She plans on giving chocolates to him for Valentine's day. I just needed to let it out. Do you like anyone?

Sohee thought about it, but then erased the last sentence.

What are you doing for Valentine's? It's next week.

From, Sohee (o.o)

Sohee put it in an envelope like she learned in 3rd grade and sealed it with a scented heart sticker.

~&~

A week past, and it was Valentine's day. Time for Cheondoong's letter. Sohee went to her mailbox and gasped in surprise. She took out the chocolate rose that was wrapped in a bright red bow. A small note dangled from the stem.

Sohee opened the small note and her heart sped up slightly at the message.

Hey Mandu Sohee!

Happy Valentine's Day! Surprised? I know. 

Let's be eachother's Valentine forever, okay? You deserve it. Even if we are taken when were older. I mean that's what best friends are for right? 

Hope you like it! You better. >:)

From, Cheondoongie

Sohee let out a shining smile, and squealed, jumping up and down, holding the gift close to her chest. She ran back inside her house in a hurry. She was preparing her belated Valentine's treat. 

It was officially their tradition from then on out.


It was Valentine's week and Sohee, as always, was excited. She was wondering what he was going to prepare this year. She was a junior in highschool, and was sure of her feelings for her pen pal. Her friends kept on teasing her, but she can't deny the truth.

She peeked in her locker, and pouted. Nothing.

Somehow, when she reached highschool, her Valentine's day gifts appeared there instead of the mailbox like the other letters. It was empty for the nth time she checked and she began to grow worried. What if he found someone else? Maybe he decided he didn't find her interesting anymore.

Whatever the reason, Sohee was sad. The week was almost over. She was relying on tomorrow.

All of a sudden, her locker slammed shut, and she was met face-to-face with Thunder. He flashed an award-winning smile. He was a transfer since freshmen year, and automatically became quite popular with his looks and charms. He always had the cheesiest pickup lines to try on her, and although she doesn't want to admit it, she was falling for them.

"Hey babe, there's something in your eye." He commented. Sohee lifted her hand to rub it off, but he held it, and smirked,

"Oh wait! It's just a sparkle." He said fake-shocked. Sohee forced her growing grin down and lightly pushed him away.

"Wait!" He called. She heard a thump as though he tripped. He gave her the best puppy eyes." May I have a bandaid?"

She raised an eyebrow. Thunder grinned."Because I scraped my knee falling for you."

Sohee rolled her eyes and left. But when she disppeared from his sight, she let out a soft laugh.

-&-

Sohee looked in her locker and let out a deep sigh. It was Valentine's day, and there was no gift. No candy. No bear.

The bell rang, and she made it to her first class. When she stepped inside, there was absolutely no one! On her desk was a rose pointing to the board. She dragged her eyes up, and her eyes widened at the heart shaped message written in marker. 

Hey My Mandu, 

Happy Valentine's day! Gave you a scare, didn't I?

Follow the signs. I bet you were too busy sulking to notice.

Look around again. You'll be surprised!

Sohee lifted her head and stepped back when she saw Seungho and Hyorin in formal attire. Hyorin was holding a sign with an arrow pointing to the hallway. Seungho handed her another rose. 

Sohee walked down the hallway in awe. Decorating the walls were posters inside jokes she knew. She passed by many people. Joon and Hyuna. Min and Gikwang. Suzy and Wooyoung. Yoona and Seunggi. And even Ms. Song and Mr. Kang. Each gave her a rose and directions. Finally she saw Sunmi and Seungri opening the door to the football stadium.

A tall, but familiar figure stood. He turned around, but a sketchbook with words blocked his face.

Hey Sohee

The figure waved. She laughed. The page flipped.

Were you surprised? I hope you are.

'I sure was' she thought. Absentmindly nodding. The page flipped.

I remember back in elementary.

Her eyebrows furrowed. The page flipped.

Then to middle school.

She raised her eyebrow in heavy confusion, The page flipped.

And now in Highschool.

The figure now stepped closer to her. The page flipped.

Before I was super shy

A picture of a flustered guy was drawn. How cute. The page flipped.

But now I gained confidence

Mini fireworks went off. The page flipped.

Years of being your pen pal

Sohee heart sped up at the revelation. The page flipped.

and years of trying for your attention

Sohee was starting to get an idea of who it was. Oh. Why wasn't she surprised. The page flipped.

I finally want to ask you.

Sohee smacked herself for her dumbness. The page flipped.

He was now in front of her.

Know who I am now?

The figure let the sketchbook down, revealing Thunder. The final page flipped.

On bright pink and red letters it wrote.'WILL U B MY VALENTINE?'

Sohee wrapped her arms around his neck, tiptoeing. She squealed and hugged him as tight as she can. "OF COURSE!"

He looked at her and slyly grinned."Your lips look so lonely, would they like to meet mine?"

Sohee pretended to be thinking, but then feigned decision."Sure, they need company."

She held both sides of his face, and planted a soft candy kiss on his lips.