i.

Across the Hall

Kris walked around and around in circles until his head spinned. His toes --numb. He looked out the tall windows. Still the same white snow, but taller. He grunted and sat down at the desk that was in front of him. Stealing a piece of pencil that was broken in half, he tapped onto the desk. He peered over his shoulder and saw a girl with short hair and carried baby eyes. She looked back and looked away, making Kris wonder.

Not carrying, he banged on the window until it caught her attention. She mouthed.

"Yes?" His expression brightened up a bit and he took a piece of scrap paper and wrote words onto the paper with his half pencil.

"I'm Kris." He slapped the lined sheet onto the window. She pierced through the desks and searched for items.

"I'm Amber."

His face lit up even more and he continued writing note-by-note every minute as she did the same.  He didn't mind the cold by this moment.

"Where are you from,  Amber?"

"I'm from California. You?

"Canada. Aren't you cold?"

He saw Amber pout and she nodded at him.

"Come over here!" He wrote. She looked around and wrote back.

"We can't. Remember?"

That's when it all came back to him and he felt the coldness and his numbness of his toes. He wanted to know her more. But he just couldn't right now.

"Sorry, I forgot. So how was your day?"

"It's alright, besides this crazy ing blizzard that ruined my day. You?" Her response made his nose tickle.

"Same! I'm so bored. Do you have siblings?"

She nodded and held up her pointer finger in the air.

He was going to respond, but the teacher told him to move away from the windows immediatly. Kris' expression was not happy and he looked back at Amber with a worried face. He waved goodbye and closed the curtains for now.