First Day Back

The Right Track

Chapter 2: First Day Back 

The annoying ring of your alarm jolted you awake from your peaceful dream. It was seven o’clock and class started at 8. You quickly unpacked your suitcase and picked out your outfit.  As you were organizing your room, the family picture you had taken when you were 12 fell out of the book it had been shoved into. A wave of sadness momentarily washed over you, but it was quickly replaced by the realization that a new brilliant chapter of your life was about to begin. With only 20 minutes left, you dashed out of your dorm and onto the main campus.

Unable to find your first class, you absent-mindedly walked around. “Ow!” you muttered as you accidently bumped into somebody while not looking up.

“Watch where you’re going,” snapped the guy while dusting off his leather jacket. Your face had turned red as you saw a crowd starting to form.  Hurriedly, you apologized and bowed 90 degrees. “Where do you think you’re going?” he asked, holding onto your arm tightly.  You didn’t know what to do as the more you struggled, the tighter he grasped.

“Let her go.” Suddenly, Jinwoon appeared out of nowhere and grabbed your hand. Relieved, you gave him a bashful smile. The guy’s grip slowly loosened as he glared as Jinwoon with such an intense look that it frightened you a little bit. You could hear the whispers as the other students wondered who you were. Jinwoon saw you cringing and reassured you by giving you hand a gentle squeeze. Soon, the crowd began to scatter as the five minute bell ringed loudly across the school yard. Carefully, Jinwoon led you to your first class, only letting go of your hand once you both had arrived. “Are you okay?” he asked, eyes full of concern.

“Yeah, I’m fine and thank you for saving me again,” you replied appreciatively. “Oh and also, who was that guy?”

“No problem and don’t worry about him. Class is about to start, so I have to go now. Bye.” Jinwoon said while walking away. Suddenly, you remembered you were no longer in your comfy little high school back at home anymore, but at the prestigious Seoul University, where you knew nobody except Jinwoon. You ducked your head and hurriedly went inside the classroom to avoid being tardy. The whispers and stares came back once again as your classmates recognized you as the girl from earlier. This behavior made you wonder who that mysterious guy was and why it was attracting you so much attention. Putting that off to the side of your mind, you noticed there were only a few open seats left and immediately sat down next to a gorgeous, long-haired girl.

“Hi! My name is Yoonmi,” you introduced as she glanced up from the book she was reading.

“I’m Fei. Nice to meet you,” she replied back politely, “Are you a new student?”

“You too. Yep, I’m just got here yesterday. If you don’t mind, could you please show me around campus during our lunch break?”

“Oh, where are you from? Sure, let’s compare our schedules to see if we have anymore classes together.”

“America,” you said, while taking out your schedule. Luckily, both of you were in the same lunch and had English, science and PE together also.

“Wow!” Fei exclaimed, “I’ve always wanted to go there. Is it as nice as everyone says it is?” Without warning, the teacher walked in, turning the classroom into silence. Fei was the only one still talking.

“Miss. What is it that is so important that you are disrupting my class?” the teacher interrogated with an annoyed look on her face. Fei turned red and lowered her head in shame.

Abruptly, an angelic boy stood up and said, “Professor Lee, Fei was just trying to make the new girl feel welcomed.”, while flashing his heart-melting smile.

“Well, in that case, thank you, miss”, the professor briskly said. As class continued, they learned that the boy, who had stood up for Fei, was named Gongchan.

Soon, the morning had passed with Fei to accompany you and it was time for lunch. You hadn’t seen the guy from earlier again, and began to forget about the whole incident. Fei had to go to the library after showing you around, so once again, you were left alone. Entering the cafeteria, all eyes were once again on you as you quickly walked towards the lunch line. Just as you were about to pay for your meal, you realized you had left your lunch money at the dorm. Empty-handed, you left the line and went to find a place to sit.

“What’s a pretty lady like you sitting here all alone for?” Jinwoon asked while sliding to sit next to you.

“Ughh…” You stuttered.

“Never mind, that was a rhetoric question. Come on!” He said, taking your hand and dragging you away.  Following him down the unfamiliar halls, you had no clue where he was taking you. Just when you thought you would never get there, he suddenly stopped in front of a classroom.

“Where are we?”You asked curiously.

“You’ll see.” He replied while flashing you his signature mischievous grin.